Greivous' Lightsabers

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DucLangur
Is it me or did they make a mistake with Grievous' lightsabers. I can clearly see he uses both Anakin's and Obi-Wan's saber while fighting Obi-Wan on Utapau. It is not like no one would notice. It is very easy to indicate. I am sure that is not what they had planned. Take a look at this picture. You can clearly see Greivous holding Obi-Wan's lightsaber. Why?

JKozzy
And one of them is Luke's from ROTJ. It was intentional.

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/7352/grievous1ut.jpg

A better quality picture than above, for clarity.

DucLangur
But I still Don't know why. Why was it intentional?

JKozzy
Lightsaber cameos, if you will. Like the effects team was in the opera, in the pod to the right. Why was that intentional? Why do they say "I've got a bad feeling about this" in every movie? It's just one of those little easter eggs that George and LFL wanted to add in. Nothing more.

overlord
Freaking lame, these easter eggs are stupid.
They should've took the time to make up some new lightsabers and what's with this new green color btw? It doesn't look anything like the one from ROTJ, this one doesn't even seem to glow.

cool_dudes_rule
yeah but just remember that he got them from other Jedi's cause he collects them.

Council#13
Neat i didnt see that. anyway, there was another mistake. when he puts away anakin and obi wan's lightsabers, he puts them into pocket in his cloak. then when he gets off his ship on Utapua he pushes his cloak back. then when he fights obi wan he gets his lightsabers from his hips where they are hanging (i think i didnt watch too closely).

Darth Vious
Originally posted by Council#13
Neat i didnt see that. anyway, there was another mistake. when he puts away anakin and obi wan's lightsabers, he puts them into pocket in his cloak. then when he gets off his ship on Utapua he pushes his cloak back. then when he fights obi wan he gets his lightsabers from his hips where they are hanging (i think i didnt watch too closely).
Actually, he reaches under his cloak and then 'shuffles' a bit, presumeably taking the sabers from their pockets all at once as well as shrugging off the cloak.
As for him having Luke's sabers from ESB and ROTJ, yes, it was a visual cameo by the ILM crew, but I still think it was pretty weak. After all, Clone Wars showed Grievous collecting several lightsabers from fallen Jedi, it shouldn't've been too difficult to come up with four unique lightsaber designs. I mean, if fans can come up with unique sabers (although most do seem to be rip-off's of the graflex, and either metal versions of Obi-Wan's ROTS/ANH saber or PVC versions of his TPM/AOTC saber) what excuse do ILM really have for not coming up with the goods?

chinabing
At least nowadays there's some reflected light from the lightsabers on the face of the being holding the lightsaber.

DucLangur
It would have been interesting to have a contest where the official site would have fans create Grievous' lightsabers, and the winners concepts would have to be approved by GL himself, and then the winners concepts would end up in the movie.

Ballister
Yeah I guess. I have a model of Grievous, one of his saber really does look like Anakin's Episode II saber, same with Luke's. I dunno about Kenobi's because in the model it has Grievous covering the entire handle. He really does have like 20 sabers in all, but he only carries the ones that are his favorite. Anyways, Grievous' sabers are connected to the small notches on the type of his legs. You should get a better look at them next time you seem him with his sabers clipped on him.

Darth Vious
Originally posted by Ballister
Anyways, Grievous' sabers are connected to the small notches on the type of his legs. You should get a better look at them next time you seem him with his sabers clipped on him.
In Clone Wars, yes, they were clipped to his hips, but in ROTS, they were carried in cylindrical pockets in his cloak.
I suspect the reason they didn't make a 'lightsaber competition', is for the same reason they simply didn't use existing custom designs: Lucas would have had to either buy the intellectual rights to the saber designs, or pay the designers royalties on every sale of the film, or he could be sued for copyright infringement. By getting his minions at ILM to rip off- I mean re use- existing sabers, he didn't have to pay anyone any extra. The thing that makes it even weaker, is in the Visual Dictionary, the photo of Grievous has him wielding the ESB saber, but it is described as the blade of Jedi Master Puroth... Anakin was supposed to have come up with the design of his saber himself, not copied some unknown Jedi Master...

Alkaselzer
One of them is Luke's lightsaber from the Holiday Special, green blade, bottom left, and the blue blade above it is Luke's ROTJ lightsaber. The other two seem to be the lightsabers that are just randomly given out. stick out tongue

JKozzy
Alkaselzer, is that a flash animation, or did you find those images on their own/make them? If it were flash I'd be interested to see.

Maverick2364
Originally posted by JKozzy
Alkaselzer, is that a flash animation, or did you find those images on their own/make them? If it were flash I'd be interested to see.

Yeah, those images look awesome, do you have more like them or know where to find them?

Alkaselzer
Hah! It's the Star Wars Gangster Rap, Special Edition. laughing out loud

Council#13
Originally posted by Darth Vious
Actually, he reaches under his cloak and then 'shuffles' a bit, presumeably taking the sabers from their pockets all at once as well as shrugging off the cloak.
As for him having Luke's sabers from ESB and ROTJ, yes, it was a visual cameo by the ILM crew, but I still think it was pretty weak. After all, Clone Wars showed Grievous collecting several lightsabers from fallen Jedi, it shouldn't've been too difficult to come up with four unique lightsaber designs. I mean, if fans can come up with unique sabers (although most do seem to be rip-off's of the graflex, and either metal versions of Obi-Wan's ROTS/ANH saber or PVC versions of his TPM/AOTC saber) what excuse do ILM really have for not coming up with the goods?

Hmmm..... im not so sure....
well anyway, when he gets off the ship he flicks his coat back and it looks like there is nothing there! they should have fallen out

Darth Vious
Originally posted by Council#13
Hmmm..... im not so sure....
well anyway, when he gets off the ship he flicks his coat back and it looks like there is nothing there! they should have fallen out
Well, that's probably more down to the detail on the CGI model than anything else. However, if they were deep pockets, the tops of the sabers might not have been visible, and they might have blended in with the rest of the cloak. Also, with the cloak being flicked back, the centrifucal force of the cloak, combined with the weight of any lightsabers in the pockets, would have meant that they would have stayed in the pockets, not fallen out...

EliteSaber
Well yes, they did use the same lightsaber, but they aslo did that for the fight on kashyyk why not on wi mean unless you really look you cant tell but it would have been better if they hadn't used the same modle

EliteSaber
Seriously he is the best character ever in the serous I know he cant use the force but he was a war lord on Kaleesh and he is a mastermind not to mention is trained as a Jedi, and he has reflexes like the shit.

Alkaselzer
He's a coward.

Council#13
Originally posted by Darth Vious
Well, that's probably more down to the detail on the CGI model than anything else. However, if they were deep pockets, the tops of the sabers might not have been visible, and they might have blended in with the rest of the cloak. Also, with the cloak being flicked back, the centrifucal force of the cloak, combined with the weight of any lightsabers in the pockets, would have meant that they would have stayed in the pockets, not fallen out...

Right.... confused
anyway it still looked like there was nothing in there

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.