[un]Intentional biblical reference in episode III?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ganner Rhysode
Now, I'm not a highly religous man, but my parents still manage to drag me to church with them every once in a while. Anyway, today I heard something at church that caught my ear, and it's an excerpt from the Bible, the book of Thessalonians. The text is as follows:

When they say, "there is peace and security," then sudden destruction will come upon them, as labor pains come upon a pregnant woman, and there will be no escape!

Now, if you don't catch what I think it might be referring to, it's right before the big Obi-Wan versus Anakin duel, and Anakin says "I have brought peace and security to my new empire," to which Obi-Wan responds "Your new empire?" and so on and so forth until Anakin gets owned and, what do you know, suffers sudden desctruction and great pains.

Or, this is just some elaborate coincidence. Interesting either way.

Dirk Jade
George Lucas is Jewish isnt he...? i think its just a coincidence.

overlord
I have brought piece and security? That sounds a little too random to be just made up. He probably did use it.

darthvader_fan
Originally posted by Dirk Jade
he must be he's a democrat Jumpy

Dr.Gumby
i Really think that it is all coincidence considering the man is jewish. now one thing you could say is biblical is anakins almost christlike image and also how mustafar could almost represent hell.but again i really dont think there is anything biblical in the movie that was put there on purpose.

Sesse
Is that from the old or the new testament?

I bet its from the old one... Don't jews share some of the old scriptures with christians?

PVS
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve
neither liberty or security." -ben franklin

the damnation of sacrificing liberty for security is a common theme throughout history. also the most commonly ignored. so you'll find reference to that in many writings

OG-Loc

Get your facts straight before you post this. He's a methodist

jollyjim311
He has gotten ideas from the bible before, why not now?

*points to the virgin Mary*

overlord
Yeah, I've seen a lot of those easter eggs on some site, why would it be some extreme coincidence if they make references all the time? To think it's a coincidence is too far-fetched in this case.

JaehSkywalker
Originally posted by Sesse
Is that from the old or the new testament?

I bet its from the old one... Don't jews share some of the old scriptures with christians?

actually, its from the new testament.....

spencerspider
peace and security... they like go together, they were just in a war dude, its a coincidence.

palpy_666
Hmm, interesting... especially when you consider the part in that bible verse about a pregnant woman *Padme*. I guess it all fits?

starwarsrules14
huh I have to think. It all seems to fit, I doubt it could be a huge coincidence, so I guess I agree.

(sssshhhh I wasn't here whistle )

bobcrickett
Originally posted by darthvader_fan
he must be he's a democrat Jumpy

He is? confused

JaehSkywalker
aw man!!!

as if i hav anything to do w/ it...

bobcrickett
Hmm, interesting, Ganner. Though, I must say, this should be added to one of those 'You know you're a Star Wars geek when...' lists. stick out tongue

shaber

No he's not and he has put New Testament allusions in before, such as with the exchange between Darth Vader and Skywalker in The Empire Strikes Back when Vader is talking about overthrowing Sidious and them ruling the galaxy - he likened it to the Devil offering Christ the kingdoms of the world.

Lightning_Count
^dunno about that, he tells padme the same thing in ROTS just before choking her!

its just something he says to get people to join him. it didnt work on padme and it didnt work on luke, he's 2 for 2.

Tangible God
Then there's the line Obi spouted:

"In the name of--"

I didn't know that Christianity existed in SW.

shaber
The Devil never successfully tempted Christ either, did he?

Ganner Rhysode
Nope, not in the Bible.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.