-=- Downloading Games / Programs = Wrong? -=-

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Koala MeatPie
At literly, 900$ for Adobe programs, and 60$ + taxe (75 bucks) per Game, heck no!

SaTsuJiN
the reason why it costs so much is because of piracy heh. Not to mention you're basically helping to fund the technologies that are applied to each game / program and the talent it takes to bring them together.. at least thats my opinion messed

Koala MeatPie
My Opinion is that for 900$ a program, THATS stealing. PLUS if you read the contract agreement while installing, its one per computer.

Now, My College has AT LEAST 1000 computers, and i'm not being generous (Biggest College in North America)

And they all run on the same copy of Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe Reader, Photoshope, Illustrator, AutoCad, InDesign etc etc etc.

Now, thoes programs cost between 500 - 1200$ each, for each computer (while, some ahve all of thoes, some don't)

BUT if they obeyed the Liscencing, then, well, major green stuff right there. (while Monopoly Money, and Canadian tire Funds to be exact)

Lana
Educational copies of programs (which is what they use for schools) are MUCH much cheaper than the retail version, and usually companies give discounts to schools as well as special licenses to install on many computers.

And I will allow this thread to stay so long as it doesn't turn into a discussion of how to download programs/games illegally.

Photoshop, and most Adobe programs, are in the range of $200-$600; Creative Suite is around $1300.

What college do you go to btw?

Koala MeatPie
Dawson College, Montreal Canada, Thus the 20% increase in the prices above. stick out tongue

forumcrew
you call approximately 10,000 students the largest college in north america? I doubt thats top 500..

And yes its very wrong. It is stealing no matter how you look at it .And with these expensive programs its often a fellany charge. Schools dont illegealy run multiple copies either they have special circumstances.

Koala MeatPie
Dued,e First of all I'm not the one who titled it "Biggest in North America" They say it is.

El_NINO
1) Actually Universities and Colleges must have valid licenses.

2) Licenses are cheaper to buy than buying one copy at a time

3) Each software company may send an inspector to make sure that you have valid licenses otherwise you may get sued for making illegal copies.

and to answer the threads original question.... NO downloading is not a bad thing because noone loses any money. Music industry makes money from selling blank cds, hello, they make money from selling blank cds so they are actually encouraging you to make copies. As for games thats also a lie that they lose money, look at their sales and you tell me how much money they lose. As for software, yup you guessed it another lie. Software industry makes loads of money, just ask Bill Gates (careful...he might lie to you). Every big corporate company uses Adobe or an accounting software or whatever they need for business so dont think software industry is losing anything.

Lana
The music industry doesn't make or sell blank CDs, genius roll eyes (sarcastic)

SaTsuJiN
I remember when double-disc cd's (music) cost damn near 40 dollars... now since the piracy they're being more reasonable with their cd pricing.

I rarely see a cd for over 20 dollars now

In china.. they were pirating world of warcraft retails lol.. so blizzard actually sold the official retail copy at a price very close to the pirate price to make it more appealing

The Ones

El_NINO
Originally posted by Lana
The music industry doesn't make or sell blank CDs, genius roll eyes (sarcastic)

I should reword it so here goes...

The music industry make a certain percentage from any blank cd sale. Oh and by the way they are the ones who invented blank cds.

Lana
No they don't, because blank CDs are made primarily for computer storage, and are not in any way affiliated with the music industry.

El_NINO
No they don't, because blank CDs are made primarily for computer storage, and are not in any way affiliated with the music industry.

LMAO please do some research. Thank you.

forumcrew
whered you come up with that el nino?

Lana
Originally posted by El_NINO
LMAO please do some research. Thank you.

"LMAO" post where you got this ridiculous idea from. Thank you.

BackFire
Yes, it's wrong.

But I've done it. I downloaded the Final Draft program of kazza, which normally sells for around $300.

Lana
I won't even go into everything I've downloaded embarrasment

El_NINO
http://www.cbc.ca/national/sasa/recordingtax.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recording_Industry_Association_of_America
http://neil.eton.ca/copylevy.shtml

Lana
The first and third links only talks about in Canada, and the second link says nothing like that anywhere.

So far as I know, it's not like that in the US.

El_NINO
try the last one it includes the U.S.

El_NINO
CAN YOU SAY "PWNED" KIDS!!!!!

Lana
And did you actually read it?

El_NINO
Dont need to when I used it for my college debate. The levey has been there for years for the US since about 94

El_NINO
ONCE AGAIN PWNED!!!

Lana
You 'pwned' nothing as obviously you didn't completely read it.

And quit double-posting. There's an edit function, use that.

El_NINO
http://www.globetechnology.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050127.gtlevyletter0127/BNStory/Technology/

Another article that states Americans also have a levy. Not so idiotic now huh. You should really read stuff and research before debating. No use in debating against someone who knows more than you. Just because your a MOD doesnt mean you know more than anyone else.

Lana
That link just once again only talks about Canada and does not anywhere mention the US, other than where it says "Even the current levy cost of $0.21 for each blank CD is already far in excess of the typical wholesale cost, forcing Canadians to frequently pay twice as much or more than Americans for the same blank CDs."

And I have never heard of any such thing in the US. Nor have I ever seen CD-R's that are labelled "CD-R Audio", so the whole levy is pointless.

El_NINO
That link just once again only talks about Canada and does not anywhere mention the US, other than where it says "Even the current levy cost of $0.21 for each blank CD is already far in excess of the typical wholesale cost, forcing Canadians to frequently pay twice as much or more than Americans for the same blank CDs."

And I have never heard of any such thing in the US. Nor have I ever seen CD-R's that are labelled "CD-R Audio", so the whole levy is pointless.

um... Im about done debating something to someone who doesnt want to accept the facts and especially since they have the truth infront of them. Like how dumb can you be. What do you think music cds are made from. Have you been living under a rock your entire life stuck to KMCs forum only. When you burn music where do you burn it onto, dont you burn it onto a blank cd like a CD-R,+R,RW, I know I do and most of everyone else does too. So please take a chill, research then accept the fact that Im right and your wrong.

El_NINO

Just for computer storage, last time i checked we had stuff on cds ranging from music to software to movies.

Lana
And you're obviously not paying attention to anything.

It says that 'ordinary' CD-Rs are not subject to the levy, only CD-R Audio. Only differentiation is the name. Never have I seen CD-Rs labelled as 'audio', and considering the number of CD-Rs that I buy, from all brands and all different stores, I'm guessing there's a reason for that.

I don't burn music, btw. I use blank CDs to back up computer files.

El_NINO
There is no such thing as a CD-R Audio.

This is starting to make me scared that you are a MOD.
If you can find proof that CD-R Audio exist then i will believe you.

Lana
It says right in the one article you posted, which is only affirming my belief that you didn't actually read it.

El_NINO
Yes and it shows you didnt read the Title, the article is from 2003.

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode17/usc_sec_17_00001004----000-.html
here is 2005 version

Lana
That link is right in the part that I posted, which I did indeed read. It says the legislation hasn't been changed since 94, so therefore the part I posted is still valid.

El_NINO
Here you go then, and this will be my last post. Nice debate by the way but i think i won this time.

Lana
I read and posted that bit already, thanks, try reading my posts.

And in the article you posted, it says this immediately after.

So I think this is a case where neither won, because while there is apparently a levy on blank CDs, it does not apply to all.

And I must say that such a thing is inherently very stupid as blank CDs are used for things other than burning music.

K1ll3r
You ( Lana ) should have closed this cause its gone off-topic

SaTsuJiN
and I think a bit hostile also.. nino seems to be very volatile, rather than constructively having a conversation

Lana
Yeah, I think this thread is gone....not really the type of thing we should have on here anyway, since illegal talk is against rules.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.