Peter Jackson's King Kong

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DarkC
I'm suprised that there hasn't been a specific thread on this yet.

Anyways, I've played the demo today at Future Shop on 360, it was incredible.

When I first saw the in-graphics, I at first thought it was a cutscene. That's how good it was; I only found out that I was actually already playing when I randomly squeezed the R trigger and 'Jack' punched.

The environment was so beautifully rendered that it almost brought me to tears.

So I followed my friends up to a small gorge. Above, two other mates were just outside the entrance to a tunnel opposite.
Then we hear roaring. The sound acting was wonderful.
"Oh my god! What is that thing!"
"(name)! Get out of there! RUN!"

It turns out to be a T-Rex, and the animations make it so real I feel like I'm in the Jurassic Park movie. The big dino steams up on smooth animation, incredibly realistic movements.
Finally the fellas up above run for it. Too late! T-rex snatches one and shakes it about. We hear his muffled screams and see his legs flailing for a split second and then the t-rex tosses his head and swallows. The other guy manages to get under cover.

The t-rex finally notices me and my other mates. We yell in panic and start running. Luckily, the gorge is narrow enough to momentarily delay the dino.

We run up some stairs and into a dead-end clearing. The only other way through is a wooden door with two slow cranks to open it. My AI friends run to the crank immediately, yelling at me to distract the dino for them to open the door.

Where's my gun? Where's my gun, dammit?!

Okay, so I have no gun apparently. Oh, shit.

One of the guys offers me his gun. How do I accept it though? Damn it, damn it, damn it.

By now the dino is plowing his way through to us. When he breaks through a wall, a roar is heard and the wall craks and breaks down.
I swing a feeble few fists in return and plant myself in its path.

I know what I'm supposed to do, but unfortunately, I need a gun. There are several flying creatures overhead and I'm supposed to shoot them down for the t-rex to temporarily distract it.

But I don't have the bloody gun. So I face down the enormous foe with nothing in hand. The dino strides up, and ROARS. The screech cuts through the air, cuts through reality temporarily, what seems like.

I say: "Ah....shit."

The dino moves towards me, I dodge behind a low wall. Dino is incredibly fast, and chomps down on me! Everything turns red. Miraculously I drop to the ground and is still able to move, but everything is in a red haze. Then the T-Rex chomps down on one of my crank-operating mates. Damn, game over.

But all in all, this game is awesome. I found a screenshot to go along with this scene, but in the demo it was nighttime with thunder/lightning and the rain was a little more intense.
http://eur.i1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/eurogamer/59466/3.jpg

Sir Mist
Sounds awesome, Im gonna get it for PC. When does it come out?

mattador
Looks like a faithful adaptation yes

hotsauce6548
I can't wait. I played a bit of the demo.. and wow... droolio

DarkC
Best part was realising that I was already in-game.

*waiting*

"Goddamn it, is it frozen?"

*presses start button, menu pops up fine, presses resume*

"Hmmm..."

Delta 62
I tried the T-Rex pursuit and was eaten almost immediately. Kong was awesome to play as though. I loved slamming the Rex's head into the ground.

Cinemaddiction
It is indeed a beautiful game. Those 360 kiosks at GameStop allow you to play a couple of titles. The thing is, there are going to be about 15-20 games at launch time, but they'll all be $60+. I'm going to wait..oh..a year or so to get one. They'll HAVE to go down once the Ninetendo Revolution drops along with the PS3, considering 360 isn't backward compatible with games, and PS3 is.

DarkC
Originally posted by Delta 62
I tried the T-Rex pursuit and was eaten almost immediately. Kong was awesome to play as though. I loved slamming the Rex's head into the ground.
Tried the demo again. Got past the T-Rex after finding out that holding down L trigger draws the gun.

Anyways, I go through the door and follow my friends, we go down into a shallow covered ruins area, relying on the water to cover our smell and the darkness to hide us from the beast's sight.
The black guy whispers: "Don't make a move, otherwise it's all over!"
The dino sniffs for a qhile and then a faint cry is heard on the wind. T-Rex stomps off.

Wow. Now we gotta rescue a woman.

hotsauce6548
Originally posted by DarkC
Tried the demo again. Got past the T-Rex after finding out that holding down L trigger draws the gun.

Anyways, I go through the door and follow my friends, we go down into a shallow covered ruins area, relying on the water to cover our smell and the darkness to hide us from the beast's sight.
The black guy whispers: "Don't make a move, otherwise it's all over!"
The dino sniffs for a qhile and then a faint cry is heard on the wind. T-Rex stomps off.

Wow. Now we gotta rescue a woman.

Damn. I was pressing all the buttons, trying to find which one accepted the gun, and I couldn't find it... sad

DarkC
Crappy thing is that there's no targeting reticule, no ammo indicators, Nothing.

Sir Mist
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
They'll HAVE to go down once the Ninetendo Revolution drops along with the PS3, considering 360 isn't backward compatible with games, and PS3 is.

Search and ye shall find.

Xbox 360 Backward Compatibilty List

And KK must suck without a targeting reticle erm

Ken Kenobi
Originally posted by Sir Mist
Search and ye shall find.

Xbox 360 Backward Compatibilty List

And KK must suck without a targeting reticle erm

Real life doesn't have a targeting reticule, get used to it biatch. wink

Snoopbert
Originally posted by Ken Kenobi
Real life doesn't have a targeting reticule, get used to it biatch. wink But, it also doesn't have super-apes.

Ken Kenobi
Originally posted by Snoopbert
But, it also doesn't have super-apes.

And it doesn't have 3rd person view either. stick out tongue

Deano
check out the clips on gamespot .com

looks awesome
gladly you can buy the game for the old xbox

Deano
Real life doesn't have a targeting reticule, get used to it biatch. wink

yeh but u cant expect games to be gun experts lol

DarkC
But, it also doesn't have super-apes.
A game looks more realistic without ammo indicators, etc. They wanted it to be like that.

Ultimate Hulk43
This game looks great,it'll be the first game I get for the 360 but it'll be a while from now.

DarkC
The 360 hits stores tomorrow where I live.

Snoopbert
And it doesn't have 3rd person view either. stick out tongue it's in 3rd person view with no targeting reticle? What the f**k?

DarkC
it's in 3rd person view with no targeting reticle? What the f**k?
First person view with no targeting reticle.

Ultimate Hulk43
The 360 hits stores tomorrow where I live.

Hopefully I'll be getting it,it's 2:51 AM here in Detroit.We're going to go up to Gamestop early so I'm missing school today.YAY!!*does victory dance* big grin But we didn't pre-order so I hope we can still get our copy.This is the only thing that worries me at the moment.

hotsauce6548
I thought there was an option to turn on the reticle?

DarkC
It just aims for center of the screen....not so hard to eyeball.

hotsauce6548
It just aims for center of the screen....not so hard to eyeball.

Oh... I wondered why it didn't have an effect when I clicked it. big grin

Family_guy725
no its 3rd for kong right?

Ultimate Hulk43
Yep,Kong's in 3rd person.

Here's something I don't get.If Kong is 50 feet tall and dinosaurs have been known to be over 20 feet tall,does that mean they changed it in Kong and made them 50 feet?

Great Vengeance
Sounds excellent, I heard its short though thats the only bad thing.

Ultimate Hulk43
I think it's 7 or 10 hours of gameplay.

DarkC
It's good for a rental, maybe...not for buying though.

§P0oONY
Getting it with my 360 (9 days w00t) and have played the demo, looks very pretty yes

Family_guy725
Originally posted by Ultimate Hulk43
Yep,Kong's in 3rd person.

Here's something I don't get.If Kong is 50 feet tall and dinosaurs have been known to be over 20 feet tall,does that mean they changed it in Kong and made them 50 feet?
um...kong isnt 50 feet he was 18 in the wild and bounced up to 24 in the city

Ultimate Hulk43
Thanks for that but I forgot where I heard he was 50 feet tall,either way,he's pretty damn tall.

The King Kong game will be the first one I get for the 360,looks awesome and seems to be the best game on the 360 at the moment.I'm going to enjoy battling T-Rex's with Kong and shooting them with Jack. smokin' cool evil face

DarkC
Saw a screenshot of Kong with a T-Rex in a headlock. stick out tongue

Ultimate Hulk43
That was the actual gameplay.I saw a screenshot of Kong with his fist in one of the T-Rex's mouthes.

DarkC
Yeah, I think that was the exact same one.

Ultimate Hulk43
I saw the Kong game for PS2 at Blockbuster but my mom didn't have the money so I didn't rent it.

kmcdude
I saw the Kong game for PS2 at Blockbuster but my mom didn't have the money so I didn't rent it.

laughing out loud **laughs and points finger**

Cinemaddiction
I'm playing it as we speak on X-Box. It's a great looking game, but the fun factor is "meh". It's very stripped down, and seems like a mediocre movie companion movie. I realize it is 1932 and all, but the game thus far has consisted of chucking spears at dinosaurs and keeping Jack Black's annoying ass alive.

Ultimate Hulk43
Originally posted by kmcdude
laughing out loud **laughs and points finger**

Laugh and point all you want because she's using the money to get our birthday and Christmas presents and my dad has 400 dollars saved for the 360.Who looks stupid now?!*laughs and sticks up middle finger* laughing out loud

DarkC
Ignore him.....he seems to find other people's misfortunes amusing.

Ultimate Hulk43
Alright.But anyway,if my mom had enough money at the time,I would've rented it for PS2.

DarkC
Nah, it's only really good on the 360. Tried it for PS2 and GCN.

Ultimate Hulk43
I've been thinking about getting something else for the 360 but I don't know.I have about a month to make up my mind.

Ultimate Hulk43
I think I'll try and rent this for PS2 whenever I get a chance.

DirectorFitz
I played the demo for PS2, I thought it was beautiful

Ultimate Hulk43
Does anyone who owns the game know how long the rampage in the city last?And do they allow you to climb the building or do they show Kong doing it in a cut scene?

Ultimate Hulk43
Has anyone unlocked the alternate ending?I still haven't had the chance to play it yet but I've heard about the alternate ending.

Frag Maniac
This is one of the games I've been considering spending my $10 Electronics Boutique gift voucher on which I got from a deal they had on HL2 for $20. I had heard the graphics are great, and the action good, but I was worried it would play too much like an adventure game and not enough like the shooters I like. I'm also skeptical seeing that the price has already dropped to $40, but I'll try the demo anyway.

The PC game selection is really dying out at EB, over half of the titles are cheezy $20-$30 value games with crappy AI. Soon they won't have any used titles at all on PC, after selling out to GameStop. I've come to know that name as Stop PC Gaming. I may have to cave and get a 360 if SmartJoy comes out with a FRAG (KB/M adapter) for it.

Ultimate Hulk43
I might be renting this on Friday for the 360.

Frag Maniac
OK, just finished playing the demo, and I can't say I was exactly thrilled with it. After hearing all the raves I was expecting graphics equal or better to than say Emperor's Tomb, but not even close IMO. To add (or detract further I should say) to this the weather effects themselves seem to cause frequent blurring. I also disagree with one review I read saying the use of red blurs when injured is a nice touch, it's quite overdone I think.

One of the worst things about it IMO is the terrible camera angles and implementation of controls for Kong. It's very disorienting to even know sometimes which movement key will get him to go where you want, because the camera angle almost never aligns with his movement.

Briefly you get camera alignment and a tangible sense of some real control when Kong has beaten an enemy in one area and is transitioning to another, but then it goes back to a more theater view as it was in the previous battle, at a time when you need the most control fighting two TRexs at once.

Sorry if I sound completely negative here, but when I finally beat an opponent, I want the feeling of accomplishment to come from the difficulty of beating the beast itself, rather than half of it coming from having overcome the clumsy feel of the game.

Granted there was a feeling of exhilaration after downing the two TRexs, but I couldn't help think it was beacuse while fighting them off, I didn't know if the game's design would allow me to, being used to more traditional camera angles and control use.

As well I found the amount of controls and their functions to be limited, vague, and often a mystery as to what effect they would have in fighting. Am I tap, tap, tapping to rip the TRex's jaws apart, or avoid getting caught in them I often thought?

Picking up the spears via the fire key had me baffled, and I couldn't help chuckle about all the obvious control tips showing on screen before the battle, yet nothing about this oddity.

Needless to say I'll wait well into the bargain bin stage of this game before considering adding it to my collection, and I now see why it dropped to $40 so fast.

FG725
Originally posted by Frag Maniac
OK, just finished playing the demo, and I can't say I was exactly thrilled with it. After hearing all the raves I was expecting graphics equal or better to than say Emperor's Tomb, but not even close IMO. To add (or detract further I should say) to this the weather effects themselves seem to cause frequent blurring. I also disagree with one review I read saying the use of red blurs when injured is a nice touch, it's quite overdone I think.

One of the worst things about it IMO is the terrible camera angles and implementation of controls for Kong. It's very disorienting to even know sometimes which movement key will get him to go where you want, because the camera angle almost never aligns with his movement.

Briefly you get camera alignment and a tangible sense of some real control when Kong has beaten an enemy in one area and is transitioning to another, but then it goes back to a more theater view as it was in the previous battle, at a time when you need the most control fighting two TRexs at once.

Sorry if I sound completely negative here, but when I finally beat an opponent, I want the feeling of accomplishment to come from the difficulty of beating the beast itself, rather than half of it coming from having overcome the clumsy feel of the game.

Granted there was a feeling of exhilaration after downing the two TRexs, but I couldn't help think it was beacuse while fighting them off, I didn't know if the game's design would allow me to, being used to more traditional camera angles and control use.

As well I found the amount of controls and their functions to be limited, vague, and often a mystery as to what effect they would have in fighting. Am I tap, tap, tapping to rip the TRex's jaws apart, or avoid getting caught in them I often thought?

Picking up the spears via the fire key had me baffled, and I couldn't help chuckle about all the obvious control tips showing on screen before the battle, yet nothing about this oddity.

Needless to say I'll wait well into the bargain bin stage of this game before considering adding it to my collection, and I now see why it dropped to so fast.
yeah camera is bad for kong but you get used to it after a bit it sometimes is hard to see is the problem when it is trying to show anne as well as kong but i think it is cool takes awhile to beat but its fun smashing natives with kong only thing i disliked is once you get a new gun before you know it your out of ammo and if your in a bad spot filled with menacing dinos and no bone piles are near you your screwed you have to run and cant leave your partner or they'll die and one thing helpful when fighting V-rexs is usually your by a cliff if you use the grab button near the ledge kong will push them off which is helpful later when you have to fight three V-rexs at once
Has anyone unlocked the alternate ending?I still haven't had the chance to play it yet but I've heard about the alternate ending.
i got the alternate ending its harder to beat the alternate ending then to get it lol when your on top of the building you dont have much cover from planes once you destroy all the planes Jack and the captain of the venture come in a helldiver plane you have to take out the spotlights on kong then do it again which is actually harder then you might think. Then you have to wipe out all of the helldivers attacking kong there is about six and they will be attacking you when your trying to take out the lights as well so i recomend killing them first controls arent the best and turns are difficult to make in this game withthe plane once you have done that kong is able to climb down the tower and is brought home where you see cut scene of the helldiver circling the mtn with kong on the ledge beating on his chest sure not so cinematic but it feels good saving the big guy
Does anyone who owns the game know how long the rampage in the city last?And do they allow you to climb the building or do they show Kong doing it in a cut scene?
this part lasts awhile its hard finding the right spot to climb a building while rockets that kill you in two hits are flying at you though you have to climb smaller ones to get to bigger ones it lasts awhile though
but its kinda fun and its kinda hard to find your way around at times.
and yes you climb up the empire state building i think there is one level of you climbing up it because the game has short levels that dont have fights in them and are mostly talking and moving with your group there are several occasions this happens in the game. Though you dont fight they are somewhat entertaining

Frag Maniac
Originally posted by FG725
yeah camera is bad for kong but you get used to it after a bit it sometimes is hard to see I couldn't help but think the fight against the 2 TRexs in the demo would have been so cool if the camera angle would have tracked Kong from behind, so I could see and move well enough to use the environment more.

I wanted to use the walls of vines and objects he can swing from to get up above them and swing through the air landing on top of them, like a RAW/Smack Down version of playing it. LOL big grin

The odd thing is I wound up on the walls and swung at one point during the fight, but it wasn't really a planned move. I was just trying to desperately escape to set up a better position.

Ultimate Hulk43
I rented this game for PS2 yesterday and it's great.I put the code in and I played the last two levels and then I refreshed the saved data so that I could earn all the levels back by beating the game.I haven't beaten it yet but I think I'm close,this is really one of the greatest games I've ever played.

FG725
well of course your close mister cheater pants j/k i used codes to get guns since i continualy run out of ammo but you cant use codes after you beat the game and have to earn points mini v-rexes are tuff so watch out for them on the level where you go to find kong there are two of 'em when you play youll see what i mean

Ultimate Hulk43
I beat the game yesterday and I unlocked the alternative ending which I haven't beaten yet.

satans_shade

Ultimate Hulk43
What do you have to do on the alternate ending?I keep getting gunned down and it doesn't even switch to Jack in the plane.

FG725
you have to fight for sometime before the switch if you have that much trouble use cheats man sure you wont feel as good about accomplishing it but still get to see the end

Ultimate Hulk43
I already earned it so I don't need to use cheats.Anyway,the game was take back today so oh well.

LepperFace15
Has anyone got it for the pc? Is it better than the ones on the console? And how are the graphics???

K.Diddy
Nah, it's only really good on the 360. Tried it for PS2 and GCN.

The it's quite good on regular x box as well, This game is way to easy to finish though

Superman_045
I rented it for PS2 & got a demo of it on the 360.

Mankind
The game is O.K!

Superman_045
I've already rented it but it's really boring after you beat the game so I don't think I'll buy it.

MadMel
ive got the pc demo...this game rocks...

Diesel fan
it's actually a V - REX cool smokin'

Diesel fan
I' ve got the full game it rocks when ya king kong evil face

beat the shit out of eberything

MadMel
laughing out loud yeah...especially when u get to smash a bunch of t-rex...or even better, grab a tree trunk and beat the crap outta those little rapter dinos evil face

Dumbledore>all
I would have gotten it but I heard on reviews like gamespot its only 6 hours long pfft...Too bad I was going to buy this one but I won't because it has starforce on it. That shit is bad for your computer goes into harddrive and stays their even after you remove the game. Its installed into your OS and causes system crashes and makes your disk driver slower. I might get that pc gamers edition anyone else bought it? Is it like Oblivion graphics? Because if not I don't see why 2 gig ram is the minimum for the gamers edition. Could my pc handle it?
6800 gs 256 mb ddr3
1 gig ddr 3200 ram
2.8 intel
Hell , if I can run Oblivion the game with teh sickest graphics made to date and the biggest pc hog I should be able to play it fine right? Not like this b- game was made with next gen graphics or anything.

Superman_045
Originally posted by MadMel
laughing out loud yeah...especially when u get to smash a bunch of t-rex...or even better, grab a tree trunk and beat the crap outta those little rapter dinos evil face

They're V-Rex's, not T-Rex's.

Tthe Almighty
i borrowed king Kong from a friend and kept finding myself being attacked by all kinds of creatures, then the screen goes and I'm dieing.
As far as i know the only way to get heath is to complete the level.

you can kill most creatures with spears (aim for the head)

FG725
what......where are you in it that's like one of the easiest games ever

Diesel fan
Originally posted by Superman_045
They're V-Rex's, not T-Rex's.

see I said that earlier - sum people hahaha laughing

it's a v - rex bcoz it is an evolved t - rex - if ya have the special edition king kong movie the special features disc explains all cool

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.