Palpatines lightning

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Decay
it might sound stupid, but why is it exactly that palpatine used lighting on mace. anakin could see that he was fallen and begging for mercy so he didnt need to use any more power to show weakness. lucas said the whole thing was an act and he was never weak, so why do it at all. was it to show anakin that the sith have power beyond the jedi like force lightning. was it so he could look like hes putting up one last effort against mace? if so his whole "you have lost!" thing couldnt have made him seem all that sympathetic to anakin. it came at a pretty high price (his face) so he must have had a reason. i doubt he did it to make the jedi seem worse to the republic, i dont think hed need that much proof becuase he has most of the senate under his control anyway.

on a side note i think it would have been a hard scene to film as an actor without feeling kind of stupid i think. youd have jackson holding a stick and pretending it was being forced back at his face and ian sitting on the ground shaking his fingers at him looking very angry. id like to see it without any sound or visual effects out of curiosity.

Tangible God
If you think about, Palps didn't need to use lightning.

But GL needed some way to A.) disfigure Palpatine, and B.) Kill Mace.

Ushgarak
Palpatine was faking the begging, not the need for Lightning.

Without the Lightning, Mace would have killed him, as indeed he still would have had Anakin not intervened.

Tangible God
IF Palpatine hadn't attacked, would Mace have killed him or kept him under arrest?

overlord
I would liked to see someone arrest a guy who can electrocute at will.

Decay
so did he do it to make mace change him from aresting him to having to kill him so anakin had no choice but to interfere?

Lightning_Count
^^ thats precisely why he did it, to provoke mace into killing him rather than simply arresting his ass. Therefore anakin had to step in!
This also means that palpatine LOST his Saber Battle with mace!

Decay
or that he couldnt look as weak standing there armed with the weapon of the most powerful warriors in the galaxy in his hand (lightsaber). i wish lucas would clear up wether he did or didnt lose the duel. we know he could have kept fighting with the force, but palpatine is supposedly 500 times faster than any jedi. he seems to lose pretty cleanly in the duel. but then its contradicted by ian mcdiarmid when he says hes that fast.

Tangible God
It's been shown that Palps lost the Saber battle, but he was faking the begging.

truejedi
500 times faster than any jedi? is that a quote?
if he is that much faster, then he's invincible, and anything he does is an act.

Bicnarok
I think the "you lost"comment insulted his pride

Numo
The first time I saw the fight between the two I remember thinking why did he break the window, it seemed somewhat unnecessary but deliberate as well. It was only when he killed Master Windu that I understood.

He must have foresaw it all or while he was fighting Windu, he was keeping a close track of Anakin's thoughts and movements.

As for being 500 times faster than any Jedi, well he didn't seem 500 times faster than Yoda when then fought.

overlord
You are giving Sids a little too much credit.
Don't get me wrong, he is my favorite character but to say he made Mace break the window so he could later throw him through it is pretty.. nonsensical.. erm
And constantly keeping Anakin's thoughts in mind to plan the direction of the fight while he had no control over the jedi coming in is pretty far fetched too..
Damn.. This thread is spawning more BS by the second.

Tangible God
Yeah, people make it seem as if even the tiniest breath from anyone affiliated with him, is Sidious's doing.

chinabing
If you were battling with laser swords near a big glass window, chances are the window would break.

Mace coulda tried force-pushing palpatine out the window too, just get at the right angle, decoy him with the lightsaber hand, then push using the other. But nooooo they don't listen to me.

Captain REX
I think it was actually Yoda who was using his powers to make Windu break the window so that Sidious could throw him out so that Yoda would not have the competition for Grandmaster title... no expression

Numo
No you misunderstood me, it was Sidious who broke the window not Mace but watch it again it was deliberate, but at the time it seemed unnecessary as though he had something plan and I think should all by now be aware of Sidious' ability to plan ahead.

Delta 62
Sidious completely faked his defeat to Mace. You'll notice how he no-nonsense took care of the other three Masters..he was simply stalling most of the time with Mace. He knew Anakin would arrive..he allowed Mace to kick his saber away. Had he realized Anakin wouldn't come..he'd have ended the duel before it even started. Plus you'll notice how he went all out against Yoda.

The rest of my opinion has already been stated before..no need to repeat it.

Sesse
But Yoda was still no joke...

"If so powerful you are, why leave?"

Delta 62
Oh yes, I didn't mean that at all. I was just using it as an example. He didn't seem to be putting much effort with Mace..but you saw how furiously he fought with Yoda.

overlord
Originally posted by Numo
No you misunderstood me, it was Sidious who broke the window not Mace but watch it again it was deliberate, but at the time it seemed unnecessary as though he had something plan and I think should all by now be aware of Sidious' ability to plan ahead. I hate people who bluf their way through arguments. You are making stuff up as you go along. Watch the movie again. You can clearly see the glass falling from Mace his side because his lightsaber goes through it. mad

And because you ignored my other arguments I assume that you agree that you are over-analysing the movie.

Numo
Now you're pissing me off, but nevertheless I decided to give one last chance and I watched it again and I am mystifyed that anyone with intelligence could think that Mace broke the window, but intelligence and you do not belong in the same sentence so I'm not surprised.

Reply this post if you will, you'll only be talking to yourself, I've lost all patience with you...jackass!

Mandos
Originally posted by Sesse
But Yoda was still no joke...

"If so powerful you are, why leave?"

He didn't forsee this battle, and I guess Palpatine was just afraid of losing his powers like (same felling Darth Plagueis, his master, had). That's why he wanted to leave. He wasn't that scared of Yoda. Proof: After yoda's intervention, Sid just started to fight with yoda without any fear.

Tangible God
Originally posted by Mandos
He didn't forsee this battle, and I guess Palpatine was just afraid of losing his powers like (same felling Darth Plagueis, his master, had). That's why he wanted to leave. He wasn't that scared of Yoda. Proof: After yoda's intervention, Sid just started to fight with yoda without any fear. Isn't fear one of the attributes which helps the Dark Side along?

overlord
Originally posted by Numo
Now you're pissing me off, but nevertheless I decided to give one last chance and I watched it again and I am mystifyed that anyone with intelligence could think that Mace broke the window, but intelligence and you do not belong in the same sentence so I'm not surprised.

Reply this post if you will, you'll only be talking to yourself, I've lost all patience with you...jackass! You get angry pretty easily, don't you? You can be mystified all you want but I have the scene in slow motion on my computer, get over it, you are wrong, I am right.

but intelligence and you do not belong in the same sentence so I'm not surprised. Look who's talking..
hysterical2

Decay
i dont think sidious was afraid of yoda. he had just achieved his master plan that he had been working on for decades, no matter how much better than yoda he is, a stray saber swing, or him losing his footing would make all his work for nothing. you you risk your entire lifes work and being the absolute authoraty of every being within a lifespans reach when it could be lost if your foot slipped and your attention lapsed for a split second? i think not. it wasnt needed for him to fight yoda so he didnt want to. when yoda blocked his enterance he was more than willing to go at it, and win.

overlord
Just so one guy knows:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y153/onetimeisawalemur/window_owned1.gif

Escape81
For the record:

Darth Sidious did lose the lightsaber duel against Mace. It was a legitimate duel, and one that he simply did not win. Other than Yoda, Windu is perhaps the greatest Jedi duelist in the movies, and he is leagues above the vast majority of the Jedi. Whereas Windu had 13+ years of actively training with a lightsaber, Sidious was a politician who did not so much as touch his saber for the better part of those 13 years. Thus it is highly obvious Windu had the advantage; but the very fact that Sidious was able to put Windu to the test counts for something. I would have hated to see what the Dark Lord could have done had he trained with his saber as long as Yoda and Mace did.

Sidious faked being weak and helpless. Mace had him at his mercy, and if not for the intervention of Anakin, Windu would have most likely killed the Dark Lord. But, I will say that Sidious took advantage of the scenario when Anakin walked in. In that moment, he then decided to have Anakin kill Mace, and thereby push Anakin to the brink of the Dark Side. At that moment, he manipulated the outcome of the duel.

As for Yoda v. Sidious . . . Most people assume Yoda would've flat out owned Sidious, and I disagree. In my opinion, the Dark Lord and the Grandmaster of the Jedi are both counterpoised and very nearly evenly matched, with Yoda having the only noticeable advantage due to his overwhelming experience as a practitioner of the Force, where Sidious only has a fraction of that time under his own belt. Yes. Sidious did fight against Yoda far more viciously than he did against Mace. But I think that he was not as overconfident as he was with Mace either. All of the Jedi are in awe of Yoda, so it would seem that Palpatine understood that Yoda presented an immense threat to the Empire. Thus, he was not as arrogant as he was with Mace.

This is my own opinion, though.

Zarathustra
Originally posted by Delta 62
Sidious completely faked his defeat to Mace. You'll notice how he no-nonsense took care of the other three Masters..he was simply stalling most of the time with Mace.
Hmm, that whole thought that Sidious was holding back because he went through the other Jedi so quickly and then wasn't faring so well with Windu... just all sorts of silly. Sidious was clearly good enough to dispatch three Jedi quite easily, so such skill is not unprecedented. We had never, up to that point, seen Mace Windu fight. Thus all these circumstances prove is that Sidious did not fare as well against Mace as he did against the others. Now, if it was established that he was an equal to the other three with a lightsaber there would be something to this theory, or if there was any particular evidence that Sideous was holding back. Neither is the case: Mace may have been able to kill three Jedi just as easily as Sideous, but obviously he doesn't go around fighting his own people. So all we can say is that the two fought and Mace won. Anything else is just useless and unsupported hypothesis.
Palpatine was fighting plenty fiercely: did the hissing and snarling not make it apparent?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.