Best Trilogy Ever!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FistOfThe North
What's your pick.

I'd have to say the "Star Wars" classic trilogy.

Nevermind
Star Wars, 4-6. Although really Star Wars isn't really a trilogy, it's a hexology (or whatever the term for a pack of six may be).

KillTheLight
easily Lord of the rings

lordofwar
Indiana Jones

Myth
Godfather isn't too shabby.

DeVi| D0do
Star Wars Original Trilogy.

Mando
I like alot of trilogys so I'll try my best to put the good ones in order

1.Iniana Jones 1-3
3.Godfather 1-3
2.Star wars 4-6
3.LOTR 1-3
4.Die Hard 1-3
5.Alien 1-3

Murray
LOTR

Is that even a question?!

Godfather was excellent too.

papabeard
Evil Dead evil face

Mando
I comletley forgot the Terminator Trilogy.

Myth
Alien, Terminator and Evil Dead may be my favs.

Austin Powers is an honorable mention.

Mr Parker
Yeah Indiana Jones trilogy.I would love to say original star wars trilogy since a new hope and empire strikes back are my two favorite movies of all time but Jedi sucked.I hate jedi worse than the other star wars films that followed it except for sith,that one was good.not great but good.

Solo
1. Lord of the Rings
2. Evil Dead
3. Star Wars (Original)
4. Indiana Jones
5. Godfather

dave_kodak
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes!, was some funny movies

jaden101
the three colours trilogy

the blade trilogy

the "dollars" trilogy

the mariachi trilogy

the matrix trilogy

FistOfThe North
After the OT Star Wars, it's gotta be the "Back to the Future" trilogy.

stunna1773
matrix trilogy
austin powers trilogy
blade trilogy

Ast
Since I dont count SW as a trilogy, I say Back to the Future. big grin

Wolfie
Originally posted by Mando
5.Alien 1-3
Alien 4 made it a quadrilogy. When a fourth movie is made, it can no longer be called a trilogy.

Other than the good ones mentioned, Scream is also a good one.

Mando
Originally posted by Wolfie
Alien 4 made it a quadrilogy. When a fourth movie is made, it can no longer be called a trilogy.

Other than the good ones mentioned, Scream is also a good one.

when I said alien 1-3, It's kind of like saying starwars 4-6 OT.

I think alien 4 doesn't even deserve to belong with the first 3.

FistOfThe North
Scream is also a good one.

Im with you on that one..Screams series does it the best when it comes to most slasher movies.

gregmss
It has to be back to the future

FistOfThe North
The Terminator Trilogy should be a must have. And yes, I did enjoy 3.

mattador
The Original SW yes

StarWarsManiac
NOTHING BEATS THE STAR WARS ORIGINAL TRILOGY

mattador
Originally posted by StarWarsManiac
NOTHING BEATS THE STAR WARS ORIGINAL TRILOGY

Amen. big grin

ragesRemorse
orginal star wars trilogy

matrix

lotr

Mando
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
The Terminator Trilogy should be a must have. And yes, I did enjoy 3.

I'm glad to see that I wasn't the only one.

dave_kodak
WHAT!!!!!
you must be on drugs, alien 4 was a great freaking movie, i was going to back u up and say that 1-3 does count as a trilogy but now im calling u a darn n00b, thats like saying that saw 2 doesnt deserve to belong with 1, ur so freaking messed in the head.(and yes they do deserve to go together)

Mando
Originally posted by dave_kodak
WHAT!!!!!
you must be on drugs, alien 4 was a great freaking movie, i was going to back u up and say that 1-3 does count as a trilogy but now im calling u a darn n00b, thats like saying that saw 2 doesnt deserve to belong with 1, ur so freaking messed in the head.(and yes they do deserve to go together)

I'm sorry, I just didn't feel the same way about this movie as I had the first two, or even three. If you loved it, then good for you. But If I'm the only one who disliked it, than please someone tell me now...wolife, solo, or somebody. But if you call me 'retareded' or a 'noob' then I just have to take it personally and debate it with you further.

Solo
I'm sorry, I just didn't feel the same way about this movie as I had the first two, or even three. If you loved it, then good for you. But If I'm the only one who disliked it, than please someone tell me now...wolife, solo, or somebody. But if you call me 'retareded' or a 'noob' then I just have to take it personally and debate it with you further.

I didn't like any made after the second one. Saying that the fourth Alien is actually decent, is a bold statement.

Xtremechik2
Scream

Wolfie
when I said alien 1-3, It's kind of like saying starwars 4-6 OT.

I think alien 4 doesn't even deserve to belong with the first 3.
Well, Star Wars is actually two trilogies, the prequel trilogy and the original trilogy. Alien is a quadrilogy, whether you liked the fourth or not.

There have been rumors of Back to the Future 4, Scream 4, etc. Should those be made, we can't call them trilogies anymore.

I'm glad to see that I wasn't the only one.
I liked Terminator 3 as well. It was a fun movie, not nearly as good as the first two. It's nice eye candy. I hope they stop it there though. Terminator 4 will be bad.

"Noob" is too loose of a term nowadays. It used to be that someone was a "noob" if he joins a board and immediately posts new topics when there are several in existence. You are hardly a "noob" for disliking Alien 4.

I have seen bits and pieces of a couple Alien movies so I have no opinion of the quadrilogy.

Darth Macabre
Back to the Future is my pick. I love it.

Mando
I liked Terminator 3 as well. It was a fun movie, not nearly as good as the first two. It's nice eye candy. I hope they stop it there though. Terminator 4 will be bad.

Most likely. But I can hope. The only reason Terminator 4 was though of was because of money. Terminator 3 was cool becuase it had some effects we haven't seen before, plus the terminator was a female terminator and not to mention a hot one.

spencerspider
I'd have to say Star Wars original even though I liked 3 the best.. and star wars is 2 different trilogies i believe.

forumcrew
if you dont count SW as a trilogy i dont see LOTR as a trillogy seeing as non of the movies are even close to independent of eachother.. its just 1 big plot continuing there isnt a different goal each movie.

spencerspider
if they made a saw 3 lol

forumcrew
they are making saw 3

spencerspider
i made the thread about that in horror movies but anyway yea that might be one of the best trilogies

Wolfie
Most likely. But I can hope. The only reason Terminator 4 was though of was because of money. Terminator 3 was cool becuase it had some effects we haven't seen before, plus the terminator was a female terminator and not to mention a hot one.
Yeah, the TX was inventive with cool effects. Thought was put into it. Schwarzenegger's head coming off was cool and couldn't be done in the previous movies. T3 was made for the money too though. The story wasn't much, we didn't get to care for the Terminator like we did in the T2. They tried to do the same shock moment as they did in the second one by making Schwarzenegger the good Terminator again. It was obvious, everyone in the audience knew.

Mando
Yeah, the TX was inventive with cool effects. Thought was put into it. Schwarzenegger's head coming off was cool and couldn't be done in the previous movies. T3 was made for the money too though. The story wasn't much, we didn't get to care for the Terminator like we did in the T2. They tried to do the same shock moment as they did in the second one by making Schwarzenegger the good Terminator again. It was obvious, everyone in the audience knew.

It's one thing to make a good, and entertaining sequel and make a good bit of money on it.

It's another when the movie burns horrifying images into your retinas becuase It's so terrible.

I.e. Uwe boll.

Foreskin
Back to the future

BobbyD
LOTR, no question.

Orange™
I know this is kinder strange but what about James bond? 20 movies so... lol

stunna1773
orig. SW and its final

lordofwar
Die Hard
Terminator

Darth Macabre

I dont know, I think the moment of "shock" was when Arnold said that he was the one who killed John.

Atleast thats what I thought.

Scarecrow756
Star Wars Original Trilogy for me is the best trilogy ever.

Wolfie
Originally posted by Darth Macabre
I dont know, I think the moment of "shock" was when Arnold said that he was the one who killed John.

Atleast thats what I thought.
That was the moment of shock that worked.

John was scared when the T101 was walking closer to him. They were prolonging the whole, "Come with me if you want to live," moment as if it was going to shock us that he's the good Terminator.

Mando

John was scared when the T101 was walking closer to him. They were prolonging the whole, "Come with me if you want to live," moment as if it was going to shock us that he's the good Terminator.

Totally agree on both points. But back then, I'm sure the trailer gave you the hint that he was good in this movie. People forget to put that into context.

jockjanson
Evil Dead Trilogy is my pick.

FistOfThe North

I thought the more shocking part was the hallway scene at the arcade where John Conner was in between the two terminators and they were closing in from both sides in slow motion. Up until that part, I didn't know which Terminator was on John's side and which one wasn't.

All you saw was Arnold pull the pump out the flower box, in slow motion lol (loved that scene) with him cocking the shotgun forward then crushing the roses with his boots the cocking the the shotgun back and the deadly sound the beat was making, then T2 puled out and I'm like "holy", then both guns were pointed steadily, and Arnold said "Get down." And shot the other T2. i said "Holy!" again, lol

Mando
I thought the more shocking part was the hallway scene at the arcade where John Conner was in between the two terminators and they were closing in from both sides in slow motion. Up until that part, I didn't know which Terminator was on John's side and which one wasn't.

All you saw was Arnold pull the pump out the flower box, in slow motion lol (loved that scene) with him cocking the shotgun forward then crushing the roses with his boots the cocking the the shotgun back and the deadly sound the beat was making, then T2 puled out and I'm like "holy", then both guns were pointed steadily, and Arnold said "Get down." And shot the other T2. i said "Holy!" again, lol

That part was done so well, I loved it.

FilmbuffCRV1971
The Best movie trilogy would have to be the Lord Of The Rings Trilogy--Peter Jackson changed the way movie trilogies are made....

bksdrums
i love to watch trilogies. my top five are LOTR, The Matrix, The Godfather, Blade, The Evil Dead

cool_dudes_rule
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
Star Wars Original Trilogy. yeah same here.

FistOfThe North
"Scary Movie" might be the best funniest trilogy, I actually liked Scary Movie 3 too. I saw it on DVD the other day after being told it sucked hard ever since it came out. It was funny, I think.

kmcdude
Back 2 the future

gOneMad
Evil Dead, Terminator, and Godfather are by far the best.

Nevermind
Use the search button there are already threads on this.

Like this one here

Sorgo
The Star Wars Trilogy above ALL else.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Nevermind
Use the search button there are already threads on this.

Like this one here

Thanks for the late notice, i appreciate it. I'll use the S. button the next time. Nevermind.

cool

Mando
I'll use the S. button the next time. Nevermind.

What made you change your mind? big grin

Terrible Joke on my part...

jcvaldez
The best movie trilogy or any movie with more than 2 sequels has to be!!

The Bourne Trilogy!

It has it all! Great Acting, Awesome Direction, The Best Action, Fantastic Story! Everything is great about these films! Another reason why the Bourne Trilogy is the Best is because all three are equally good!

Don't even try to say that the Spiderman trilogy is better, because it's not!

Mr Parker
Since you can list any movie with more than two sequals I would say the Star Trek movies with the crew from the original 60's Show.Yeah The Bourne trilogy is awesome.I forgot about that one.I was going to say the original Indiana Jones trilogy but Bourne is really great as well so I would say both of them are probably the best as far as just trilogys.

Impediment
Star Wars, the original trilogy.

sithsaber408
Originally posted by Impediment

FTW.

No other trilogy compares to what is shown, told, and concluded through 3 films.

Many have tried, but none can match the original. (LOTR and Matrix, I'm talking to you.)

BruceSkywalker

Most definitely. Also I love the Star Trek movies and I also loved The Spiderman trilogy. Love/hate The Matrix trilogy

Impediment
I love the first Matrix movie. I really do. The sequels were absolute shit.

Bardock42
Star Wars, the original trilogy. My favourite, too.

Enjoyed LOTR, Indiana Jones without that Crystal shit and Bourne as well, though.

ragesRemorse
I would say Star Wars if i could still watch it, but i've had star wars shoved down my God damn throat for 12 years now. Star wars has long lost it's luster for me. Maybe in Twenty years when the movies are no longer fresh in my mind, i may be able to re watch the original trilogy and find something other than nostalgia and the vision of Lucas waving money in my face.

I would say Lord of the Rings. Aside from an unsure an erratic ending in Return of the King, i can find no flaws in that series. I would also mention the matrix trilogy. Again, other than the ending of the last film, i think it's a very strong series. ( Please, do not start arguing about how much the matrix movies suck. )

Impediment
Sorry. The Matrix sequels suck. 4 out of 5 people will, most likely, agree.

MightyCelestial
5. The Bourne Identity - I've never been that big of a fan of the spy genre, so I never watched the first 2 movies in the theatres. When I finally caught Bourne Identity on TV, it was much better than I expected. I saw the third one in the theatre, & found it & the series as whole ranked as a "worth the price of admission" experience.

4. Lord Of The Rings - I know that there are those out there that find this series to be absolute perfection, but the main reason this trilogy is not higher on my list is because the lack of hatable villains in these movies. Don't get me wrong, they're kick-ass looking villains & their concepts are great, but because so much is trying to be fit in the limited space of the running times, it doesn't feel to me like anyone one can jump up & down when the good guys beat 'em.
However, that's still just a minor quibble. I'm glad that this series was adapted on to film, especially with the highest quality possible.

3. Terminator - In my mind, after a movie has been made by James Cameron, it's sequel should not be touched by any other director. The Alien series is a good example. In the Terminator, while I believe that it's 3rd. installment didn't need to get made, it at least wasn't so bad that it completely ruined the franchise. Though nowhere near as good as the first two, & depending on one's mood during it's viewing ( it can easily be regarded as forgettable), it's story at least manages to run alongside with the that of it's predecessors, without diminishing their impact of greatness in the sci-fi world. It's serves it's purpose to just be a period at the end of a really great statement.

2. Star Wars ( original ) -
Teh nehhh
teh neh neh nehh nehhhhh
teh neh neh nehh nehhhhh
teh neh neh nehhhhhhhh
teh nehhh
teh neh neh nehh nehhhhh
teh neh neh nehh nehhhhh
teh neh neh nehhhhhhhh....
The theme song that changed my life as a hardcore nerd (not to mention, my ability to get laid sad)for life.

1. The Godfather - One of the greatest movie series ever, even with the lackluster of the third chapter ( which, even though I don't find matching in quality with its predecessors, I still tend to disagree with the public opinion on this. IMO Godfather-3 IS a quality film. Bitchez.stick out tongue )

Blax_Hydralisk
1.Star Wars, Prequels only 131

2. Lord of the Rings Trilogy

3. Um.

Quiero Mota
I love the first Matrix movie. I really do. The sequels were absolute shit.

You mean the special-fx right? The storyline was basically Alice in Wonderland.

coolmovies
Great scotts you guys forgot Back to the future trilogy !!!!!!!!!

jcvaldez
A lot of you posted some good movies (except for the Matrix garbage). But I have to repeat myself and say that the Bourne Trilogy is the best hands down. All three films are equally excellent! I haven't met a person who likes one Bourne movie over the others. I know people that say Star Wars V was my favorite or Godfather 3 sucked! That doesn't happen with the Bourne Trilogy. They all stand togther as equally fantastic films!

Bardock42
Originally posted by jcvaldez
A lot of you posted some good movies (except for the Matrix garbage). But I have to repeat myself and say that the Bourne Trilogy is the best hands down. All three films are equally excellent! I haven't met a person who likes one Bourne movie over the others. I know people that say Star Wars V was my favorite or Godfather 3 sucked! That doesn't happen with the Bourne Trilogy. They all stand togther as equally fantastic films!

...I liked 3 the most no expression

Kazenji
Was never a fan of the godfather movies and yes i have tried watching them just was'nt my thing.

Mairuzu
Evil dead count?

ScarletSpeed
there is only one true trilogy...

sithsaber408
Sorry. The Matrix sequels suck. 4 out of 5 people will, most likely, agree.

Actually I like them. stick out tongue

In my post I mentioned that LOTR and Matrix couldn't do what the Star Wars OT did, but I still enjoyed the Matrix storyline and lots of the action/set pieces from Reloaded and Revolutions.

Particularly: Seeing Zion, the fight in the Merovingian's house, the freeway chase, the truck top fight (all from part 2), the club fight, seeing the machine city, the battle for zion, and the Smith/Neo showdown. (all from part 3)

The acting was lacking a bit, and things could've been better in some spots, but I don't agree with those who say that the sequels "sucked, were no good, etc...".

I do agree that they could've been better, but what's there is still enjoyable, IMO.

Bardock42
Originally posted by sithsaber408
Actually I like them. stick out tongue

In my post I mentioned that LOTR and Matrix couldn't do what the Star Wars OT did, but I still enjoyed the Matrix storyline and lots of the action/set pieces from Reloaded and Revolutions.

Particularly: Seeing Zion, the fight in the Merovingian's house, the freeway chase, the truck top fight (all from part 2), the club fight, seeing the machine city, the battle for zion, and the Smith/Neo showdown. (all from part 3)

The acting was lacking a bit, and things could've been better in some spots, but I don't agree with those who say that the sequels "sucked, were no good, etc...".

I do agree that they could've been better, but what's there is still enjoyable, IMO.

I disagree with the people that say the sequels sucked. I also disagree with the people that say that 1 was the end all movie to enlightenment.

BackFire
The sequels sucked.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by jcvaldez

wow good point.Now that I think about that your right.Like I know a lot of people that agree with me that the first two original Star Wars films were awesome but that Jedi sucked and like you said,thats the same case with Godfather III.LOTR is another good example of what you said also.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by coolmovies
Great scotts you guys forgot Back to the future trilogy !!!!!!!!!

The sequals of THOSE films just dont come even close to measuring up to the original movie.

Impediment
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
You mean the special-fx right? The storyline was basically Alice in Wonderland.

To be honest, I loved all of it. The SFX/fight scenes were awesome, and the story line, while very reminiscent of Mr. Lewis Carroll, was very good, too.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
You mean the special-fx right? The storyline was basically Alice in Wonderland. I seem to recall Alice in Wonderland...so...how?

Toku King
Spider-Man, Indiana Jones, and classic Star Wars.

brocklanders
does the mighty ducks trilogy get a vote?

Devil King
Originally posted by MightyCelestial
1. The Godfather - One of the greatest movie series ever, even with the lackluster of the third chapter ( which, even though I don't find matching in quality with its predecessors, I still tend to disagree with the public opinion on this. IMO Godfather-3 IS a quality film. Bitchez.stick out tongue )

I have always liked the 3rd one. Granted, it's my least favorite of the 3 (My favor being the order in which they were released) but I've always liked it.

Toku King
Originally posted by Toku King
Spider-Man, Indiana Jones, and classic Star Wars.

Add the Bourne trilogy to that. I forgot about that one.
I only saw the first "Godfather".

Alpha Centauri
The Matrix sequels were shit, in my opinion.

I've yet to properly see The Godfather Trilogy, so for now, I'll say Bourne.

-AC

Rogue Jedi
Star Wars, episodes 4-6.

bakerboy
Probably, the godfather.

I loved others like the dollars triology( western movies with clint eastwood directed by sergio leone), first star wars or first indiana jones.

bakerboy
Also, the bourne triology is pretty good.

Placidity
The Bourne Trilogy is definately my favourite movies, though its only because of my particular interests in this genre of movies.

Star Wars is definately up there.

I love the old 007 movies, but I guess they arent a trilogy huh.

On a side note, I just want to add that movies these days suck compared to pre-2000s. I mean, technology has come such a long way, and they are able to do all sorts of stuff with it. For example, CGI can be so amazingly realistic these days. Despite that, no one makes a good movie like they used to any more.

A particular example I always think about is the Bond movies. Ever since Golden Eye, all the Bond movies have lost that special touch. I mean yeah, the older ones may seem lame with the sharks, mr jaws and electric eels. But I guess it was a part of what made it so good. The Indiana Jones movies are another example. It's is among some of the best adventure-action movies.

Ok, I know I'm rambling off-topic, but I really really had to get that out. XD

brocklanders
i can't really realistically rank the bourne trilogy with these other classic trilogies. the bourne movies DID accomplish the rare feat of getting better as the movies went on; i thought the first one was pretty silly and anticlimactic. the matrix shouldn't even be discussed, as the second and third movie took away from the legacy the first movie as a stand-alone should've had.

brocklanders
also -

you can't count out the godfather just because of the third film. one and two are better than 99% of the other movies we've discussed. lord of the rings also deserves serious consideration. i thought two towers was just okay (still got an oscar nod!), but the first and third were fantastic.

DestinyGuy678
Matrix raver

=Tired Hiker=
Weekend at Bernies was pretty good.

Devil King
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I've yet to properly see The Godfather Trilogy, so for now, I'll say Bourne.

What, you were sitting on your head when you saw them? Either you saw them or you didn't.

To the other poster; you can't count out the third one, based soley on your preference for Marlon Brando or Robert DeNiro. Despite Garcia not being on their level) I thought the third summed up nicely the theme of Michael's desire for legitimacy with the fact that he never acheived it and it ultimately robbed him of his most prized posession: his children. That's why he died alone and regretful, in Sicily. It ultimately exposes the futility of the life he, his father and succesor chose.

SnakeEyes
The original Star Wars trilogy will always be my favorite I think. There's a feeling I get when I watch those movies that is irreplaceable.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy is right up there as well, I think that Peter Jackson did an amazing job, to tackle something that huge and adapt it to the big screen and do it as well as he did. That takes skill. The movies had amazing visuals, (for the most part) was true to the books, great acting, etc. The list of qualities for those films goes on and on. Way better than the Bourne trilogy.

After those two, I think it's really a toss up.

darth fury
Lord of the Rings

The Hawk
Im sure its already been said, but if not:

Back To The Future

ScarletSpeed
I would have to say I enjoyed the Bourne trilogy the most.

gonna watch it tonightlaughing out loud

SelinaAndBruce
LMAO at the Matrix being Alice in Wonderland. So True

Darth Martin
Blade trilogy>Bourne trilogy.

Plutonic_Hat90
The original Star Wars films or Indiana Jones, by a longshot

Darth Martin
Actually you could just take Connery's first three Bond films in Dr No, From Russia With Love, and Goldfinger.

badboy7
according to me.. the best movie trilogy has be the Bourne series..
1. The Bourne Identity
2. The Bourne Supremacy
3. The Bourne Ultimatum

Impediment
Star Wars OT
Evil Dead trilogy
LOTR trilogy

in that order.

majid86
Robocop trilogy even though the 3rd movie was awful

politicsguy
Its got to be back to the future for me

politicsguy
or wait!!! Lord of the rings!!

ADarksideJedi
Star Wars and Pirates!

Robtard
Star Wars OT
Evil Dead trilogy
LOTR trilogy

in that order.

This is good, I might change the order though.

Bourne, also. Though they're planning a fourth, so it likely doesn't/won't count.

darthmaul1
STAR WARS (Original and Prequel)
LOTR
MATRIX
DIE HARD (first 3)
Indiana JONES (including the 4th)
Terminator (including the 4th)
Out on a limb but Nolans Batman (when the 3rd one comes out.)

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Darth Martin
Blade trilogy>Bourne trilogy.

There is no excuse for the shit that is Blade: Trinity. The Bourne movies are consistently good, the first two Blade films are fun B-movies, but the third is horrendous.

Darth Martin
The Godfather and it's not even close.

RE: Blaxican
Ugh, I hate The Godfather. ****ing 4 hour long soap operas.

Matrix Trilogy
Star Wars OT Trilogy
Lord of the Rings Trilogy

SnakeEyes
Again, the reason The Godfather trilogy will never be one of the best is because of a far weaker third entry. Part III isn't bad, but it's a severe decline in quality compared to the first two. Same with Back to the Future part III, the Matrix sequels, etc.

§P0oONY
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Again, the reason The Godfather trilogy will never be one of the best is because of a far weaker third entry. Part III isn't bad, but it's a severe decline in quality compared to the first two. Same with Back to the Future part III, the Matrix sequels, etc. This is true but the 1st and 2nd are miles better than any entry in any other trilogy.

The Godfather takes it IMO. Even with the thirds drop in quality it's still a better trilogy than any other. I guess I'd give second to SW:OT.

People in this thread really need to learn what a trilogy is. Through my quick scan I've seen people but things like Die Hard, Indiana Jones and Alien. None of which are trilogies.

Aede Madavan
Matrix Trilogy, and the sequels are underrated. Extremely well made films in so many ways: great plot, great musical score, great visuals, great action scenes, great presentation; masterpieces that have mass appeal.

The Godfather films (1 and 2) are perhaps some of the most overrated films ever made. People seem to place too much of an emphasis on super realistic stories of that sort of genre which while certainly extremely well made are also entirely unspectacular in so many ways (in the sense that the plot really isn't especially original/differentiated or extremely complex or deep or intruiging or anything at all; powerful in many ways and well developed to be sure but it needs to possess more for me to really be "wowed" by it).

The Matrix Trilogy beats it.

The Nuul
The Matrix
Jurassic Park
Beverly Hills Cop but 3 really sucked.
Jason Bourne for now.
Mad Max
The Ninja Series
Predator if Predators can count for part 3.
The Dollars Trilogy
A Better Tomorrow
Infernal Affairs

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Aede Madavan
Matrix Trilogy, and the sequels are underrated. Extremely well made films in so many ways: great plot, great musical score, great visuals, great action scenes, great presentation; masterpieces that have mass appeal.

The Godfather films (1 and 2) are perhaps some of the most overrated films ever made. People seem to place too much of an emphasis on super realistic stories of that sort of genre which while certainly extremely well made are also entirely unspectacular in so many ways (in the sense that the plot really isn't especially original/differentiated or extremely complex or deep or intruiging or anything at all; powerful in many ways and well developed to be sure but it needs to possess more for me to really be "wowed" by it).

The Matrix Trilogy beats it. The Godfather may be overrated... But The Matrix sequels really aren't underrated.

The Godfather films are easily some of my favourite films and as far as the trilogy is concerned it's untouchable. This is due to the combination of trilogies usually sucking badly, topped with the wonderful and suspenseful cinematography that Coppola with terrific acting performances put into The fantastic Godfather and its sequel (things that none of The Matrix films had.. They just had an ok storyline and visual effects.).

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Aede Madavan

The Matrix Trilogy beats it.

The Matrix sequels are far, far worse than the first one. The sequels aren't underrated; people might shit on them just a little too much, but that's just because what COULD have been one of the best trilogies of all time is now just an awesome first film and two disappointing sequels.

Masterpieces? Again, maybe the first one. Mass appeal? Critics and audiences overall didn't like the sequels nearly as much as the first or at all (especially Revolutions), so no. Musical score is fine but not anything to write home about. The Godfather theme/score is more memorable.

The special effects in Reloaded specifically have already aged quite a bit. That scene where Neo fights all the Agent Smiths? The CGI doesn't look that great.

Are the first two Godfather films overrated? Sure, but so is any film that is hailed as the best film of all time. Overrated doesn't mean bad.

So, apparently the Godfather flicks didn't do it for you. But for me, I'm way more emotionally invested when I watch them as opposed to the Matrix films, I care more about the characters, the plot is complex without being convoluted, specific scenes exude tension and the trilogy as a whole has an operatic feel that is very memorable and worth experiencing imo.

General_Iroh
I think "The Man With No Name" trilogy takes it for me, however Lord of the Rings is a close second. Alien would be in there if the 3rd film hadn't been so awful

Darth Martin
LOL at dudes saying the Matrix trilogy>The Godfather trilogy.

General_Iroh
Originally posted by General_Iroh
I think "The Man With No Name" trilogy takes it for me, however Lord of the Rings is a close second. Alien would be in there if the 3rd film hadn't been so awful
Completely forgot Karate Kid, definitely a top contender for best trilogy

Rogue Jedi
Star Wars Episodes IV-VI.

Lestov16
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
The Matrix sequels are far, far worse than the first one. The sequels aren't underrated; people might shit on them just a little too much, but that's just because what COULD have been one of the best trilogies of all time is now just an awesome first film and two disappointing sequels.

Masterpieces? Again, maybe the first one. Mass appeal? Critics and audiences overall didn't like the sequels nearly as much as the first or at all (especially Revolutions), so no. Musical score is fine but not anything to write home about. The Godfather theme/score is more memorable.

The special effects in Reloaded specifically have already aged quite a bit. That scene where Neo fights all the Agent Smiths? The CGI doesn't look that great.

I disagree with you here Snake Eyes. Just like the Saw series, all of the films are equally great, like a TV miniseries

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Lestov16
I disagree with you here Snake Eyes. Just like the Saw series, all of the films are equally great, like a TV miniseries You may want to rethink watching them then. As you seem a little misguided.

And on the Saw front:

I have a soft spot for the Saw series but even I can see there has been substantial deterioration from the original. This is not to say that I don't still enjoy them.

eddic
the original x-men trilogy

SnakeEyes
Except X3 sucked...

K.Diddy
beer I am probably in the minority here,But Indiana Jones no longer counts as a sequel and the back to the future series comes close,but the third film I felt let the trilogy down,So I am actually going for The Karate Kid as the best trilogy think all 3 films were equally enjoyable,I know this is a big call but thats the way I feel.

Dave_97
i've said it before, and i'll say it again.

Beverly hills cop - greatest trilogy.

The Nuul
But 3 sucked big time, so only two of the films are great. I wish they would have done a 3rd 48 Hrs movie.

Dr Will Hatch
Toy Story.

Each movie has it's own base of fans calling it the best one. TS3 had most people in tears, manly tears.

SnakeEyes
Wow, yeah, didn't think of that one ^

As far as each film being equally good, the Toy Story flicks are a good pick.

Impediment
Originally posted by Dr Will Hatch
Toy Story.

Each movie has it's own base of fans calling it the best one. TS3 had most people in tears, manly tears.

This.

Impediment
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c166/Impediment/trilogymeter.jpg

The Nuul
Movies that have more than 3 in the series is not a trilogy. Thats most on that list.

Impediment
Originally posted by The Nuul
Movies that have more than 3 in the series is not a trilogy. Thats most on that list.

I know, but it amused me when I found this image. Just for novelty's sake, you know?

The Nuul
Yeah, some of them are pretty good and the ratings.

§P0oONY
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c166/Impediment/trilogymeter.jpg Hahahaham that is some ****ed up table.

Godfather part 3 worse than Matrix 3? Yeah... right....

Mad Max 2 better than Rocky? Please...

Back to the Future 3 about on par with 2?

There is also plenty more glaring mistakes.

Darth Martin
Nice idea for a chart, but flawed I'm afraid.

The Godfather 3 is severely underrated there. It's not on par with the first two but not many films are.

Alien is severely overrated. As are Star Wars IV & VI.

The Matrix Reloaded is severely underrated. The Terminator should be slightly higher.

Everything else I more or less agree on.

BloodRawEngine

Impediment
Again, I saw the image, and I posted it.

I thought that it would be humorous.

My apologies.

doh

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>