Why are video game movies never good movies?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FistOfThe North
I just wanna know. This has been a problem since the "Super Mario Bros." movie that came out in the 90's till "Doom 3" now.

So far, mostly every video game movie has been a disaster.

I dunno, the comics pull it of nicely, but video game movies are never good movies. Why?

y_monkee
bcos video games have more plot self-intertwined and part of the fun of video games is the exploration ... it doesn't translate when one is merely a passive observer of a big screen ...

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by y_monkee
bcos video games have more plot self-intertwined and part of the fun of video games is the exploration ... it doesn't translate when one is merely a passive observer of a big screen ...

That is a good point. I also think it is because video game stories are written around gameplay aswell.

Masrix
Halo the Movie Will be good....

Wolfie
One reason the Super Mario Bros. movie was so terrible is because it was live action. From what I remember, the cartoon wasn't too bad. So cartoons never translate well into live action movies.

Also, the stories were designed to be interactive with. You're supposed to be the main character, not watch him.

I think a couple video game movies that have worked were Mortal Kombat and Tomb Raider.

Mando
Originally posted by Wolfie

I think a couple video game movies that have worked were Mortal Kombat and Tomb Raider.

The Techno worked out fine. smile

But it's very difficult to translate videogame into film. try taking a videogame in your household, and then try thinking of a story board for it, and cover the exact same things that the game covers in less than 2 hours of film. It's EXTREMLEY difiicult, especially for RPG's and such, because you spend all that time on the game itself just trying to build up your character. Well how in the world do you plan to build up your character in a game without boring the audience. there's alot to think about.

Undertaker
Originally posted by Wolfie
One reason the Super Mario Bros. movie was so terrible is because it was live action. From what I remember, the cartoon wasn't too bad. So cartoons never translate well into live action movies.

Also, the stories were designed to be interactive with. You're supposed to be the main character, not watch him.

Both Resident Evil Movies are better, RE was well done i thought, Being a big fan of the Video game, i was quite happy with both movies, Can't wait to see the 3rd.

Impediment
IMO, Resident Evil, flawed as it was, was the best video game movie adaptation to date. Others like Super Mario Bros., Mortal Kombat, and especially RE2 were disasters. I agree that exploration is the key factor to the fun of video games. Thus, the movie adaptations didn't offer any of that in the slightest to us, the fans, because it doesn't translate well on screen, seeing as how there is only 90 to 100 or so minutes of movie time to tell the enitre story. It'd be impossible. Am I wrong?

Draco69
Simple: They're directed by Uwe Boll, by far the worst director in history.

Resident Evil WASN'T directed by Uwe Boll. Which is why it's the best video game movie as of thus.

Undertaker
Originally posted by Draco69
Simple: They're directed by Uwe Boll, by far the worst director in history.

Resident Evil WASN'T directed by Uwe Boll. Which is why it's the best video game movie as of thus.

Uwe Boll is bloody shit, I loved the House of The Dead Video game, The movie could of been so cool, But he totally ****ed it up.

Gregory
I thought Mortal Kombat held up pretty well, for a movie based on a fighting game. Better than Street Fighter or that animated Tekken thing.

OB1-adobe
Another reason is that you already know the basic story.

People think metal gear should be made into a movie. Which is retarded since it is a movie already just in a video game.

Then there is the fanboy issue: "They shoulda done this and that" "it was all wrong"

Personaly what "I think" what people don't understand is that video games are becoming movies. Interactive ones. The better the graphics get, what would be the pont of a movie based on a video game?

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
.I dunno, the comics pull it of nicely, but video game movies are never good movies. Why?

That's a good question, homes. I think its cuz the comic books are based on social issues that are easy to depict. Video Games are damn-near impossible, ese. I knew Mario was going to suck, becuz how do you make a good picture out of some goofy plumber riding around on a dinosaur that kills giant turtles for a living? A la velga! I think Hitman has potential to be a good flick, but I have a feeling that Vin Diesel is gonna fukk it up, ese. Halo....I doubt it. It'll probly just be another goofy space flick like Doom. Hell, even the story in the game sucks, homes! Halo's main purpose is for multiplayer.

Tekno Boy
Even if it's crap I want to see a Metal Gear Solid Movie. And it probably will because the plot is so damn confusing. Still it won't be as bad as Catwoman, the only comic book based film that is terrible.

DOOM2099
The reason movies based on any famous licensed property always rot is because the development and design is directed largely by corporate douchebags that know squat about the material. Too many cooks spoil the soup.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.