Is stupidity or intelligence genetic?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FistOfThe North
If a Mother and Father were both stupid or intelligent, can a child mentally turn out the way his/her parents are mentally?

There are alot of physical genetics that pass on from parent to kid but is mental capability one of them?

I think so. It's why you'll hear sometimes "Chip of the old block"..

or in the case of passed on mannerisms which is psychologically distinctive behavioral trait, where the term "he actes just like his father" or "mother", comes in.

Sir Whirlysplat
Partially sequences of genes have been identified in the very intelligent and the very stupid although the effect of "Nurture" is at least equally as important.

Hit_and_Miss
I believe that If you think your stupid, (believe that something is beyond you) or are treated as you are stupid... You will think yourself stupid and limit yourself...

DrDoom101
intelligence aint genetic. My friend's parents are both lawyer but their son has Cs and Ds in school. But i dont know about me.

AOR
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
If a Mother and Father were both stupid or intelligent, can a child mentally turn out the way his/her parents are mentally?

There are alot of physical genetics that pass on from parent to kid but is mental capability one of them?

or in the case of passed on mannerisms which is psychologically distinctive behavioral trait, where the term "he actes just like his father" or "mother", comes in.

It is not genetic it's a quality gained by environment. If the environment around the child is ignorant or intellectual the child is bound to copy. A "Chip off the old block" and "He acts just like his father/mother" comes from behavoral traits. For example, if the father happens to walk in a particular way and the child notices, than the child will adopt that way of walking, not because it's genetic, but he/she saw the parent doing it. Same thing with intelligence. If the father is an ignorant fool who wouldn't know the answer to a question even if it came up and bit him in the nose, and decides for every argument to say his side and not listen at all, the child will follow that manner. Not because it's genetic but rather through observation and imprinting.

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by DrDoom101
intelligence aint genetic. My friend's parents are both lawyer but their son has Cs and Ds in school. But i dont know about me.

have you heard about recessive genes DD? Nature and Nurture both play a role.

Maestro
It depends on the attitude of an individual, they could be as smart as albert einstein, but if they don't want to particapate, then they won't get far.

It's pretty ironic coming from me though, I am a prime example of my above statement erm.

River Wild
I agree, it's always depends on the person itself!

Lana
Originally posted by DrDoom101

I hope you realize that grades are ultimately meaningless, as you could pass all your tests - well - and still do poorly overall if you don't do your work.

Victor Von Doom
It's clearly down to both heredity and an individual's personal experience of life.

We obviously have an almost free reign on what we learn, or how we develop, or at least try to develop, but the fact is, we can only work with what we've got. Some people are genuinely not very capable.

It's obviously not all environmental, because some things clearly aren't taught, they are implicit or a priori.

Wonderer
Stupidity is not genetic, it's the effect of bad karma (bad causes in the past). Bad intended volitional activity always causes bad rebirth of conditions. Stupidity and intelligence is relative on the other hand.

Alpha Centauri
It's not is it?

George Bush is a dumb idiot, Britney Spears is a stupid fool. If someone views these people as smart, they too are stupid.

-AC

Wonderer
Everyone in life has a place and a purpose, dumb people as well.
PS. A dumb idiot must be really stupid now! laughing

Alpha Centauri
Yes, but in saying that you prove my point.

Purpose or not, they're dumb.

-AC

Wonderer
So what's the point in saying they're dumb then?

Alpha Centauri
You are saying "dumb" or "smart" is relative. It's not.

-AC

Inspectah Deck
Originally posted by FistOfThe North

Not really genetics, it has to do more with the surroundings

FistOfThe North
I see, looks like everyone's basically saying that stupidity and intelligence are learn by osmosis instead of it being inherent. But it is wierd how other characteristics are inherent, and I'm not talking about physical traits only. I'm talking about mental traits similar to stupidity and intelligence.

Eis
I don't know...
I think there are people who are simply born... stupid.
Like OK, my family's a great example me along with my siblings were all raised in the same environment and I've always gotten good grades and I don't mean to sound like a snob but I consider myself pretty intelligent, my older brother is not very smart, never has been and I'm quite certain never will be. We've both been learning English for 3 years and my English though it's not perfect, excels his. And, yes, I believe if a smart kid is raised in a very 'dumb' environment he could become dumb himself even though he/she has the capacity of being a hell lot smarter. erm

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Eis
I don't know...
I think there are people who are simply born... stupid.
Like OK, my family's a great example me along with my siblings were all raised in the same environment and I've always gotten good grades and I don't mean to sound like a snob but I consider myself pretty intelligent, my older brother is not very smart, never has been and I'm quite certain never will be. We've both been learning English for 3 years and my English though it's not perfect, excels his. And, yes, I believe if a smart kid is raised in a very 'dumb' environment he could become dumb himself even though he/she has the capacity of being a hell lot smarter. erm

What is your primary language?

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
What is your primary language?

I suspect German or Icelandic

Eis
VVD, spanish, I'm chilean.

Originally posted by Sir Whirlysplat
I suspect German or Icelandic

Icelandic, I wish...

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Eis
VVD, spanish, I'm chilean.

Icelandic, I wish...

You appear to have grasped the language better in three years than many others here have throughout a lifetime's usage.

Eis
Thanks.

Sir Whirlysplat
I see it was the Bjork and 99 red ballloons that threw me, you use English very well smile

Eis
Originally posted by Sir Whirlysplat
I see it was the Bjork and 99 red ballloons that threw me, you use English very well smile
And the username.. it has that affect on most people. erm I just love german music.

Alpha Centauri
How did you learn the language, Eis?

-AC

Eis
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
How did you learn the language, Eis?

-AC
I moved to China, here very few people speak spanish.. so the only way to have a social life was to learn english.

Alpha Centauri
I was just about to say it struck me as odd that someone would move to China to learn English.

Though judging from our general populace, England is ironically the worst place to learn English.

-AC

Darth_Erebus
There is evidence to suggest that genetics DOES play a role in intelligence. The jury is still out on how much.

Eis
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I was just about to say it struck me as odd that someone would move to China to learn English.

Though judging from our general populace, England is ironically the worst place to learn English.

-AC
No, no. I did not move to China so that I could learn to speak english, I'm only 13 years old. I meant I learned english when I moved to China.

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by Darth_Erebus
There is evidence to suggest that genetics DOES play a role in intelligence. The jury is still out on how much.
agreed - excellent post smile

BobbyD
Ha...great question. I wonder myself sometimes, FistoftheNorth.

crazylozer
I think intelligence can me measured in different ways. Being smart generally means that you can quickly grasp what is taught, and draw conclusions from that. However, some people are generally better at one thing or another. Some may be mathematical savants, or some may be linguistic geniuses, etc. etc. Something things could be learned by nearly everyone, but how quickly you learn and how meaningful it is to you is a measure of your particular aptitude in that area. Music for example is one thing that is special to people according to (maybe?) genes. One may spend their life surrounded by music, and they may turn out more musically gifted than others, but it takes a special person to be a musical genius (Mozart, Beethoven, etc. etc.).

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.