Holiday Blues

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jedi Priestess
It's that time of year again. Many people myself included get seriously depressed during the holiday season. I wonder what it is, Im sure there are reasons for this that have been documented and I recall reading some of them but have long since forgotten.

For me this year looks to be especially tough. Will be the first Christmas without my Dad and that in itself is reason to be bummed. But there is something about all the glittery, glowing, family orientated wonderful Christmas commercials that just really brings me down.

I'm curious as to who else has this happen to them each holiday season? And have you been successful in dragging yourself out of it before Christmas Day?

Darth Macabre
It happens to lots of people. Trust me your not alone. I myself although dont get depressed, I am clearly not as happy as the rest of my family. I have no idea why that is. I'm young, I'm healthy, I should enjoy this season, not walk around with a sense of indifference.

Fire
I think X-mas is nice, but I like summertime holidays more.

Darth Macabre
Summertime holidays? Such as?

Mišt
Originally posted by Fire
I think X-mas is nice, but I like summertime holidays more.

Over here its summer, so we have have summer + xmas = SWEET SWEET HOLIDAYS! cool

Darth Macabre
What do you mean over here? Shouldn't it be down here?

but wow excuse my ignorance before, I completely forgot Christmas falls during the Summer for people below the equator.

BackFire
Doesn't happen to me, thankfully. I love Christmas time.

Though you're right, many MANY people do get dangerously depressed around this time of year. It may be a multitude of factors. They see commercials promoting the cliched family unit, or the "happy couple" thing, and they may get depressed that they don't have that. They also see happy families on the street, decorating their house, buying christmas trees, which could also contribute to their desire to have that.

They may think back upon better times, during their childhood or whatnot, when they did have better relationships and how fun this time of year used to be for them, which could make it even more devistating.

It may also have to do with the cold, gloomy weather of the time of year. But I think it's more or less just people who don't have the type of family that is advertised, don't have the good, loving relationships that everyone else seems to have at this time of year, and that just gets to them.

I personally love the holidays. I love the atmosphere, the weather, I love helping my mom decorate the house for xmas, I love driving around at night and seeing other houses decorated. I love sitting in the family room with a bright, beautiful xmas tree, and of course, in my own, personal tradition, I love watching A Christmas Story several times on TV on Christmas eve, and I enjoy watching the other Christmas specials. I pity those who don't have it good this time of year, who don't have the loving family that they probably wish they had, and that is shoved down their throat constantly around this time. It's a shame that they've lost the ability to see the beauty in the world around them during this time of year, and I hope at some point in the future they find happiness.

debbiejo
Christmas Holidays get many people blue...I used to be that way...It is a high suicide time of year...people missing ones that aren't around, and the ones that feel lonely.....I guess what I like most about Christmas now isn't the holiday, but all the lights put out and the white snow...I'm more visual to that kind of thing....In fact they're playing Christmas music here now, and I don't even turn it on....Just not in the mood for that yet....There are some lights up though....I love driving around and looking at them.....Try to get shopping done early, otherwise the stores are full of cranky people, and kinda ruins it for me...Usually I go to stores at Christmas just to look at the decorations, not to shop.

amity75
I love Christmas but I HATE new year. It's so depressing.

Alpha Centauri
I do often get really depressed around the end of the year. I find it hard to explain why, but I think it's because - for whatever reason - end of years are always memorable. I can always remember a specific ongoing feeling, or event. So it sort of reminds me that yet again another year has passed.

It's my first christmas without a couple of people who I don't have this year too, so that's gonna be tough.

-AC

Fire
Originally posted by Darth Macabre
Summertime holidays? Such as?

There are a few catholic holidays during the summer, along with a few national holidays in Belgium in the summer (Belgian "indepence day" on the 21st of July, Flemish "independence day" on the 11th of July and there is a catholic holiday the 15th of august)

Jedi Priestess
OK I should have specified what I meant by holiday blues. I am speaking of the holiday season that starts with Thanksgiving and runs through New Years day in the US.

Nay sayer
I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one that wishes that the holiday season would piss off

KidRock
Originally posted by BackFire
Doesn't happen to me, thankfully. I love Christmas time.

Though you're right, many MANY people do get dangerously depressed around this time of year. It may be a multitude of factors. They see commercials promoting the cliched family unit, or the "happy couple" thing, and they may get depressed that they don't have that. They also see happy families on the street, decorating their house, buying christmas trees, which could also contribute to their desire to have that.

They may think back upon better times, during their childhood or whatnot, when they did have better relationships and how fun this time of year used to be for them, which could make it even more devistating.

It may also have to do with the cold, gloomy weather of the time of year. But I think it's more or less just people who don't have the type of family that is advertised, don't have the good, loving relationships that everyone else seems to have at this time of year, and that just gets to them.

I personally love the holidays. I love the atmosphere, the weather, I love helping my mom decorate the house for xmas, I love driving around at night and seeing other houses decorated. I love sitting in the family room with a bright, beautiful xmas tree, and of course, in my own, personal tradition, I love watching A Christmas Story several times on TV on Christmas eve, and I enjoy watching the other Christmas specials. I pity those who don't have it good this time of year, who don't have the loving family that they probably wish they had, and that is shoved down their throat constantly around this time. It's a shame that they've lost the ability to see the beauty in the world around them during this time of year, and I hope at some point in the future they find happiness.

Amen dude..Christmas wouldnt be Christmas without a Christmas Story playing over and over on Xmas Eve.

Darth Macabre
lol I've seen that movie a thousand times, and yet I still dont understand how he shot himself in the eye.

Lana
I always get really depressed around the end of the year, yet I can never really figure out why, and I hate it sad

PVS
i think i regained the 'christmas spirit' ever since i stopped working retail.

Jedi Priestess
Originally posted by Lana
I always get really depressed around the end of the year, yet I can never really figure out why, and I hate it sad

ME neither and I kind of figured Storm would have been along by now with some kind of information. She usually has some on stuff like this.

soleran30
I feel finer then a peach in a window sill during the holidays! Ho Ho Ho gotta love Winter and holidayssmile

BobbyD
It is common though I have haven't felt any sort of blues yet (in my life). I'm sure one day I will. I can see how those that used to be there who aren't anymore can bring one down.

Snoopbert
Originally posted by KidRock
Amen dude..Christmas wouldnt be Christmas without a Christmas Story playing over and over on Xmas Eve.

Indeed.

GCG
In a way, some people feel the end of the year brings a sort of assesment sheet.

What have you done right and how many things have you done wrong.

justdecent
I do not get why people get depressed... I understand why people get into debt. Snow and cheer and lights and trees, what could be more exciting?

debbiejo
Originally posted by justdecent
I do not get why people get depressed... I understand why people get into debt. Snow and cheer and lights and trees, what could be more exciting? It's been studied that people need sunshine to feel at their optimum...Winter there is less sunshine.......Of course with the holidays, it brings memories and then depression also.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.