When did the Senate Change its title?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ratcat
I just watched A New Hope on TV and it struck me that Leia refers to the Imperial Senate and NOT the Republic Senate as it was called in Episode-I. This is duringhe first meeting with Vader right at the beginning of the film.

So, my question is do we see this change in stance during Episode-II or III?

Neobi Kenobi
I would think it changes either in the end of E:2 or the beginning of E:3 because in the end of E:1 Senator Palpatine is elected as Chancellor, so he is just beginning to gain control.

JediOasis
I would imagine it changes when Palpatine declares himself Emperor....sometime in EPIII.

finti
Totally agree with JO here.

Ratcat
Does he declare himself Emperor within the PT. Whilst I hope so I can see it being left as a given by Lucas.

Ratcat
Which comes fire the Empire or the Emperor, or are they born at the same time?

DarthBorgie
I'd have to say sidious/palpy reveals himself first, but then soon (very soon) he sets up the Empire, because I can't see his followers being powerful enough to hold off rebels for that long(yet, I expect them to be numerous when he does reveal himsef). Am I making sense, I'm confusing myself...laughing out loud

queeq
I think Sidious will not reveal himself UNTIL he is Emperor. I believe he will use more of his political intrigue to convince the Senate they need a stronger leader with more autonomy who can handle crises like the Naboo crisis and maybe even the Clone Crisis more effectively. Then, when everything is in place, he is Emperor by Senate Decree, it's too late.

mechmoggy
I'm with queeq on this, I read in one of the encyclopedia things that Palpy was strictly backroom dealings until he had the whole universe under his control. I remeber something else about how his enemies during this rise to power seriously under-estimated him because he was so damn devious. I've said it before and I'll say it again...you gotta love that Emperor!

Edna witch
Well it definitely has to be in Episode three because the Empire does not rise until after the clone wars and the clone wars do not begin until the end of Episode two. I think we will be able to see the Republic Senate slowly changing under the control of Palpatine. We will be able to see senators such as Bail Organa and Mon Mothma pulling away from his points of view until the whole system finally snaps some time episode three when his remaining followers form the Imperial senate and the rest form the Rebel Alliance. Should be interesting to see how he does it actually!

queeq
Absolutely Edna, and I agree with you that it will probably happen in Ep3.

Dim
Yes, it would make the most sense for it to happen in Ep.3... By then the Clone Wars should have progressed enough for something like that to take place.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.