What is it with Wolverine

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth_Erebus
Why are there always 6-10 threads devoted to him here on the front page alone? I mean, he's barely above a street leveler and is an average character at best. I really don't understand the fascination with him. Mods, please don't lock this as I'm asking a serious question.

King KAM
(auto quote)[/quickquote
Wolverine is A-list street level king.

Piedmon
If you look at them, most of them are spite-threads devoted to tearing him down. Posters make stupid fights they know Wolverine can't win because they like to bait wolverine8888..... Wolverine is like Howard Stern--so hated, that it's come right around and made him popular.

King KAM
Originally posted by Piedmon
If you look at them, most of them are spite-threads devoted to tearing him down. Posters make stupid fights they know Wolverine can't win because they like to bait wolverine8888..... Wolverine is like Howard Stern--so hated, that it's come right around and made him popular.
all i have to say is read some wolverine, he kill more people than punisher, without the guns....

Laminator_X
Sometime around 1994 or so Marvel replaced Wolverine with Fanboy Wolverine at a drunken Christmas party and now they're all to embarassed to talk about it. The real Logan is currently sipping gin on a beach in Sumatra but is occasionally called in for projects like Origin or New Avengers where Fanboy Wolverine's terrible overacting are just too much.

cherry cola
Wolverine is popular because he was marvel's meal ticket during the 90's featured on al the promos, the cartoon made him the marvel legend that he is. wolverine became popular in a time where being a bad ass meant something other than running your mouth and getting into stupid fights. Wolverine was marvel for a while.

DarkCrawler
Originally posted by Laminator_X
Sometime around 1994 or so Marvel replaced Wolverine with Fanboy Wolverine at a drunken Christmas party and now they're all to embarassed to talk about it. The real Logan is currently sipping gin on a beach in Sumatra but is occasionally called in for projects like Origin or New Avengers where Fanboy Wolverine's terrible overacting are just too much. laughing out loud

spetznaz
Originally posted by Darth_Erebus
Why are there always 6-10 threads devoted to him here on the front page alone? I mean, he's barely above a street leveler and is an average character at best. I really don't understand the fascination with him. Mods, please don't lock this as I'm asking a serious question.

I think it can be distilled into tension between the following 3 groups:

1) The Wolverine fanboys: This group (comprised of around 3 members) basically believes Logan is the second coming and can defeat almost anyone in comicdom. Furthermore they are denoted by the inability to perceive that Wolverine is not immortal, is not invincible, and most of all is not on the top of any list (even when it comes to adamantium enhancements a character like Lady Deathstrike has far more advanced adamantium additions that Logan, when it comes healing there are several characters with healing factors that are far better honed than Logan's, when it comes to fortitude there are characters that can take far more damage than Wolverine etc etc).

2) The Wolverine fans: This group (of which I am a member, and probably includes most of the members in the forum at some level) believes that Wolverine is actually a very cool character with some of the best developed complexities in Marvel. They believe he is one of the greatest fighters in Marvel (even though he is almost always drawn as a brawler), has a great healing factor, is able to pull feats that he shouldn't. His claws can cut through ALMOST anything, his adamantium-LACED bones are ALMOST unbreakable, and his healing factor can take care of MANY types of wounds and injuries. They also believe that Wolverine may not pack nowhere as much power as many of the X-men, but that he is still an essential member with a lot to bring to the table.
- HOWEVER the seminal difference between this group and the Fanboy group is that Wolverine fans (unlike Wolverine Fanboys) do NOT believe Wolverine is unbeatable.
- We do not believe Wolverine is the comic-book Messiah.
- We do not believe that Wolverine is even a match for MOST comic book characters (since most are basically a medley of gods and demi-gods, either having super-speed, uber-flight, or the ability to create sun-core temperatures from their hands ....and those are not even the more powerful ones).
- We do not need to defend Wolverine at all costs .....particularly when it is clear that Wolverine is out of his league (for example the way CERTAIN POSTERS have asserted that Logan stood a chance against the likes of Thor and Superman. That is simply silly)
- The best analogy that can be used to differentiate between Wolverine fanboys and Wolverine fans is as follows:

a) Wolverine fanboys are tantamount to cult members .....fanatical adherence to a cultish personality, a Svengali (with Wolverine taking the role of their Svengali, their demagogue), and basically making Wolverine their all.

b) Wolverine fans can be likened to NORMAL religious people. They like the character, but they are not going to swallow poisoned kool-aid, handle snakes, or sacrifice their kids.

3) Wolverine Haters: The third group is people who do not like Wolverine. This is a rather rare group, although because of the antics of Wolverine fanboys at times it seems as if people in group 2 (Wolverine fans) hate Wolverine, but that is not the case. Just because I think a certain Wolverine fanboy is a ludicrous farce with desperate need for remedial education doesn't mean I dislike the Wolverine character. Thus this group seems bigger than it actually is.

DigiMark007
It's always like that. Batman, Spidey, Supes and Logan will always have the most threads, and usually Logan is at the top of thsoe 4. The people above me put it well too...he creates controversy because of his popularity.

Closing though. Not a battle, and beyond that Wolverine is dwelled upon too much as it is...threads contemplating his role don't do much. There's a Wolverin Respect thread and also a Wolverine Hate Thread over in the comic forum (might have to use the search to fins them).

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.