Sith

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

kegs202
I may be wrong on this but in the original trilogy I don't recall the word 'SITH' ever being mentioned. Was this a name that was created after the OT and used in the PT.

JKozzy
Darth=Dark Lord of the Sith.

kegs202
Yeah but was the word sith ever said throughout the OT.

exanda kane
I don't think it was. Like Palpatine's name, it might not have actually been said - yet everyone knew what it was/meant (courtesy of some fact file etc.)

My only guess is that Obi-Wan to Yoda etc.

Ken Kenobi
The word Sith was used in the OT.

Obi-Wan himself said it to Luke when talking about Darth Vader.

Ushgarak

No he didn't.

SpyCspider
"Vader was Sithduced by the dark side of the force..." sick

wait, that's probably from ROTJ when he was explaining Anakin to Luke...

Ken Kenobi
I could have sworn he did, but I just checked the scripts to back up my claims and I was wrong. erm

Ushgarak
Afraid not! One of those funny memory things I am afraid.

No, the term was not used in the OT, but it is always rumoured to be a term GL was throwing around for Vader's background. It was picked up by the EU, but often in a very contradictory manner because no-one was really sure what the term meant- in retrospect, it is obvious that there could be only two, else there would have been more bad guy force users in the OT.

As it is, GL didn't make it a canon term until TPM.

Ken Kenobi
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Afraid not! One of those funny memory things I am afraid.

No, the term was not used in the OT, but it is always rumoured to be a term GL was throwing around for Vader's background. It was picked up by the EU, but often in a very contradictory manner because no-one was really sure what the term meant- in retrospect, it is obvious that there could be only two, else there would have been more bad guy force users in the OT.

As it is, GL didn't make it a canon term until TPM.

No wait...wasn't the word Sith used in one of the opening scrolls? no expression I think that's where I saw it.

Ushgarak
Afraid not.

InfiniteDY
No... the word Sith never appeared ANYWHERE in the OT.

yes

Search you feelings... you KNOW it to be true!

evil face

Ken Kenobi
Afraid not.

Yeah, one of those weird memory things. erm

Although it does appear in the revised scripts posted online. stick out tongue

overlord
Yeah, the concept of sith has never changed for Lucas.
Just because it wasn't used doesn't mean anything special.

JKozzy
Originally posted by Ken Kenobi
No wait...wasn't the word Sith used in one of the opening scrolls? no expression I think that's where I saw it. Ken, one of the older opening scrolls did mention "Darth Vader, a DARK LORD OF THE SITH" - but that was pulled for whatever reason. I'll look for that.

JKozzy
Here we go, screencap from one of the original cuts:

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/8633/dlots2of.th.jpg

And clarification that SITH wasn't defined as only two back in 1976, or whenever this cut was produced:

http://img431.imageshack.us/img431/2267/dlots11vq.th.jpg

Ken Kenobi
Where'd you find these?

JKozzy
http://www.starwarz.com/deletedmagic/

Oodles of goodies on that DVD wink

DeVi| D0do
"Sith" is not an EU-created word. It is used by Lucas in his novel 'STAR WARS FROM THE ADVENTURES OF LUKE SKYWALKER' which was written in 1976...

overlord
Why is a thread about the OT actually in a PT forum?

Ushgarak
I didn't say it was EU created now, did I?

By the time the OT was complete, it was clear that GL had finalised the Sith as only two, is the point.

Meanwhile, worth reminding people that GL did NOT write that novel; it was Alan Dean Foster.

darthvader_fan
i didnt know that "sith" wasnt used in the orignal trilogy

i always thought it was

Mstr GEKA
This thread made me realise that in the PT the Sith started from nothing, or 2, and created an Empire in "Revenge of the ... . And that in the OT, the Jedi started from nothing, or 2, and defeated the Empire in "Return of the ..."

Sorry...

Ken Kenobi
Originally posted by Mstr GEKA
This thread made me realise that in the PT the Sith started from nothing, or 2, and created an Empire in "Revenge of the ... . And that in the OT, the Jedi started from nothing, or 2, and defeated the Empire in "Return of the ..."

Sorry...

If you want to take a closer look at it, the 6 films use the same letters for the first word of the titles.

The Phantom Menace - The Empire Strikes Back
Attack of the Clones - A New Hope
Revenge of the Sith - Return of the Jedi

Mstr GEKA
I Wonder What TAR TAR Means must be a hidden message... eek!

overlord
Originally posted by overlord
Why is a thread about the OT actually in a PT forum?
Hate to quote myself, but I think the other forum could use some reviving.

Ushgarak
The question asked was "Was it a term created for the PT?"

As the word was first used in the PT, it is perfectly happy here.

overlord
Well it wasn't created for the PT in that case to return to topic.
So I guess, case closed..

Ushgarak
Well, as people are discussing the details of how that is not so, then no, this all looks fine.

overlord
Hey, Ushgarak.. The topic actually is about the OT! smile

exanda kane
Originally posted by Mstr GEKA
I Wonder What TAR TAR Means must be a hidden message... eek!

It blatantly means stop smoking

DeVi| D0do
I didn't say it was EU created now, did I? No, you didn't say that... But I've read before that it was, and just wanted to say that it is in fact not an EU word...

Meanwhile, worth reminding people that GL did NOT write that novel; it was Alan Dean Foster. Really? Because I've searched all over my copy of the book and can find no mention of 'Alan Dean Foster' anywhere... erm It does strike me as peculiar that GL could write an entire novel though, when he admits himself he can't write dialogue for shit... And it doesn't actually say anywhere "Written by" George Lucas, it just has his name in all the places you'd expect to find the author's...

Ushgarak
Trust me, it was ADF. That's no secret; it is quite well known. He ghost-wrote it for GL. You will still see ADF referred to at sw.com as the first ever SW author; there are interviews all over the net about it, and so forth.

sw.com hyped up his last SW book launch thusly:

"Alan Dean Foster, the first author of the Star Wars publishing universe, returns to pen a new novel set between the events of Episodes I and II. Ballantine Books is set to publish the as yet untitled hardcover book in February 2002.

In 1976 Foster ghostwrote the original novelization of Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope from George Lucas' screenplay. The then-titled Star Wars: From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker sold millions of copies through numerous printings. Foster followed up the novelization with the first authorized Star Wars sequel tale, Splinter of the Mind's Eye, in 1978. "

Ushgarak
Originally posted by overlord
Hey, Ushgarak.. The topic actually is about the OT! smile

Yeah, well, I disagree and I'm the mod, so leave me to do my job, ok?

DeVi| D0do
Trust me, it was ADF. That's no secret; it is quite well known. He ghost-wrote it for GL. You will still see ADF referred to at sw.com as the first ever SW author; there are interviews all over the net about it, and so forth.

sw.com hyped up his last SW book launch thusly:

"Alan Dean Foster, the first author of the Star Wars publishing universe, returns to pen a new novel set between the events of Episodes I and II. Ballantine Books is set to publish the as yet untitled hardcover book in February 2002.

In 1976 Foster ghostwrote the original novelization of Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope from George Lucas' screenplay. The then-titled Star Wars: From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker sold millions of copies through numerous printings. Foster followed up the novelization with the first authorized Star Wars sequel tale, Splinter of the Mind's Eye, in 1978. "
Of course I trust you, Ush! big grin I just think it's real scummy that they make it out that GL wrote the book...

chinabing
They're making up for it now, 28 years later, but the book still has Lucas' nameplate on it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.