Wolverine's Feats of Skill vs Wolverine's Bio

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

long pig
His bio states that he is a master of every known fighting style known to man, but he RARELY shows anything other than a decent amount of MMA and sword fighting. Normally just hacking and slashing with his claws.

So, what are his greatest feats of SKILL, that would prove that he is indeed a master of every known martial arts?

wolverine8888
u don't even read wolverine. when he slashes and hacks as u call it with amazing aim and speed. every time wolverine swings it perfect aim as said in his comics countless times. and ive already listed about 50 of his comic feats befor in the threads.

Captain REX
I'd be interested in seeing that list. happy

wolverine8888
then go look up diffrent forms I posted them ashit laod of tiems and people just ignor it. any ways I don't have time to look them all up again but I will later also this thread does not belong here.

Superherovandal
I highly doubt he's mastered any forms besides ninjitsu and brainless-bereserker-slash-fu.

wolverine8888
thats because u hate wolverine and have never read more then a cover of his comics

snoopdogg
This is actually a interesting thread. (Sorry Wolverine8888 I couldn't resist posting this pic)

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c379/Doggydogg/JuggyandWolverine.jpg

Superherovandal
he really doesn't show precision or much form besides ninjitsu or boxing. But the only reason people even so much as compare him to people like Batman Shang Chi and Captain America is because he has superpowers.

Dizzle
Actually, I saw a site a while back that compared Wolverine to Kitty Pride in pure h2h. From their examples, I think Kitty won, but Wolverine did show knowledge of some other styles. Ninjitsu was definitely big, but he had some nice grappling moves, and a good unarmed vs. sword fight with Silver Samurai. (though Samurai would have taken his head off if he didn't have the bones... that's pretty much why Kitty won- she didn't depend upon her powers nearly as much) Wolverine even had one fight where he used some Drunken Monkey. That was pretty sweet.

All in all, I think he's an excellent h2h fighter, but I never get the vibe that he's really as good as guys like Cap and Batman without his powers helping him. Yeah yeah, 100 years experience, but that doesn't always mean everything. Ra's Al Ghul has what, 600 years under his belt? Batman beats the crap out of him. Namor, while a good h2h fighter, is never really depipcted as a truly masterful MA, though he is also over a century old.

Arahan
good post

X-Logan
Wolverine have beaten shang shi easily,have beaten DD without using his claws,have beaten Gamora among others.

kitty Pryde have never ever won a fight against wolverine,every time they fought she was outclassed.

Adam Warlock
Didn't he hit gamora when she wasn't looking? If they fought on the up and up, Gamora would thrash him.

Swanky-Tuna
Originally posted by snoopdogg
This is actually a interesting thread. (Sorry Wolverine8888 I couldn't resist posting this pic)

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c379/Doggydogg/JuggyandWolverine.jpg

Bad. Ass.

Dizzle
Originally posted by X-Logan
Wolverine have beaten shang shi easily,have beaten DD without using his claws,have beaten Gamora among others.

kitty Pryde have never ever won a fight against wolverine,every time they fought she was outclassed.

I'd say Shang was jobbing pretty bad. Solely because in their fight, he didn't exhibit speed or skill anywhere near his normal levels. He beats DD, and most others that he fights, mainly because of his healing and claws. He takes a LOT of hits compared to other comic book MA's. The fights that were compared between Kitty and Logan had Kitty getting hit once, I think. Wolverine, without his skeleton, would have been killed or seriously injured 2 or 3 times. That's what they meant by Kitty "winning"- her skills were portrayed as "better", but Wolverine's healing and skeleton gives him an extra edge.

Creshosk
That's the tricky thing about it. It's like saying Superman can't dodge bullets because we never see him do it.

xmarksthespot
Originally posted by Creshosk
That's the tricky thing about it. It's like saying Superman can't dodge bullets because we never see him do it. Not really, Superman consistently shows he has the ability to travel at phenomenal speeds.

Creshosk
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
Not really, Superman consistently shows he has the ability to travel at phenomenal speeds. Not what I meant.

xmarksthespot
Not what I meant. Then elaborate. No offence but it wasn't a great analogy.

long pig
I think he meant Superman doesn't dodge bullets a lot because he doesn't have to. He depends on his invincibility.

Maybe?

Which fits a lot with what everyone thinks about Wolverine. He may have had the skill at one point in time, but he's relied on his durability so much that he hasn't used his skill in ages. But, wouldn't that lead to getting rusty? Opposed to someone who only fights with skill instead of throwing around claws...

Creshosk
Originally posted by long pig
I think he meant Superman doesn't dodge bullets a lot because he doesn't have to. He depends on his invincibility.

Maybe?

Which fits a lot with what everyone thinks about Wolverine. He may have had the skill at one point in time, but he's relied on his durability so much that he hasn't used his skill in ages. But, wouldn't that lead to getting rusty? Opposed to someone who only fights with skill instead of throwing around claws... That's exactly what I meant.

long pig
So, do you believe he is as skilled as he's hyped?

Melnorme
Which fits a lot with what everyone thinks about Wolverine. He may have had the skill at one point in time, but he's relied on his durability so much that he hasn't used his skill in ages. But, wouldn't that lead to getting rusty? Opposed to someone who only fights with skill instead of throwing around claws...
That's a sound observation. Of course, there will be a lot of teeth gnashing and fist balling on the part of Wolverine fans with respect to this logical conclusion.

long pig
Originally posted by Melnorme
That's a sound observation. Of course, there will be a lot of teeth gnashing and fist balling on the part of Wolverine fans with respect to this logical conclusion.
Heh...

Originally posted by wolverine8888
u don't even read wolverine. when he slashes and hacks as u call it with amazing aim and speed. every time wolverine swings it perfect aim as said in his comics countless times. and ive already listed about 50 of his comic feats befor in the threads. Originally posted by wolverine8888
then go look up diffrent forms I posted them ashit laod of tiems and people just ignor it. any ways I don't have time to look them all up again but I will later also this thread does not belong here. Originally posted by wolverine8888
thats because u hate wolverine and have never read more then a cover of his comics

Creshosk
So, do you believe he is as skilled as he's hyped? Hyped by who?

He's skilled, no doubt about that, I'm not sure if he's as skilled as his Bio states. . .

Some of it may be more than just learned skill, some of it might be deep root programing, sort of like some of his languages. . .

long pig
Hyped by who?

He's skilled, no doubt about that, I'm not sure if he's as skilled as his Bio states. . .

Some of it may be more than just learned skill, some of it might be deep root programing, sort of like some of his languages. . .
By his bio....

So, you think he has the knowledge, just not the ability?

Creshosk
By his bio....

So, you think he has the knowledge, just not the ability? and/or not the . . . desire?

Not sure what I'm looking for. He tends to use it more against other martial artists. . . but tends not to use it against like bricks or the like.

Of course there might be the interpritation of how he applies it.

But as I said, its rather tricky, since he's not like batman or daredevil, who have to.

long pig
and/or not the . . . desire?

Not sure what I'm looking for. He tends to use it more against other martial artists. . . but tends not to use it against like bricks or the like.

Of course there might be the interpritation of how he applies it.

But as I said, its rather tricky, since he's not like batman or daredevil, who have to.
Good enough.

Case be closed!

spetznaz
Originally posted by Captain REX
I'd be interested in seeing that list. happy

LOL ......I doubt you'll ever see that 'list' bro.
Knowing W8888 there is no way he will show you that list.
The MOST he will do is WRITE some alleged feats and leave it at that.
If you are waiting for a 'list of feats' from him, with links and stuff, and that are pertinent to the topic ....well .....I personally wouldn't hold my breath.

MERCILOUS
This is foolish. Of course Wolvie doesn't show his skill, think of the artist he gets. Even the good ones don't bother, why show Wolvie using skill when an all out action pose is far less boring to draw?

Master of every form of combat, sure, why not, when you consider that there's only 5 or so. Remember the key word is "form" not martial art. A form would be "stand-up" "armed" and such.

X-Logan
I could put some scans of wolverine showing his skills...

DarkCrawler
He defenitely knows some:

http://www.mutanthigh.com/games/martialarts/fight1.html
http://www.mutanthigh.com/games/martialarts/fight3.html
http://www.mutanthigh.com/games/martialarts/fight4.html

His hack and slash is his own martial arts style. Effective, but only to him.

MERCILOUS
I could put some scans of wolverine showing his skills...

I'm sure you could because he does and is quite capable when he's drawn by someone who actually knows the character.

X-Logan
Another one...
Krav-Mag

Creshosk
Another one...
Krav-Mag Do you have the second page? or the one before it?

You know displaying how he thrashed that thing and caught his cigar and asks Jubilee how long it was and it was like two seconds or such. . .

kgkg
Pig it's kind of like Champion

Suppose to know all martial art techniques etc

But the only thing he does is punch , no kung-fu sad

DarkCrawler
If you don't have other powers then your human/peak human physical attributes (Daredevil, Captain America), then you show your martial arts skill.

If you have other powers (Wolverine, Namor) then you usually punch/hack and slash because writers want to concetrate on your powers more then your skill.

who?-kid
His bio states that he is a master of every known fighting style known to man, but he RARELY shows anything other than a decent amount of MMA and sword fighting. Normally just hacking and slashing with his claws.

So, what are his greatest feats of SKILL, that would prove that he is indeed a master of every known martial arts?
You know, the same goes for Batman. He is supposed to know 127 forms of martial art, but when he fights, he mostly uses ordinary and uninspired kicks and punches.

kgkg
Originally posted by DarkCrawler
If you don't have other powers then your human/peak human physical attributes (Daredevil, Captain America), then you show your martial arts skill.

If you have other powers (Wolverine, Namor) then you usually punch/hack and slash because writers want to concetrate on your powers more then your skill.
True and this also applies to characters powers.

Say they have super speed and other powers (but hardly applied in action)

DarkCrawler
Originally posted by kgkg
True and this also applies to characters powers.

Say they have super speed and other powers (but hardly applied in action)

Exactly.

They suddenly forgot all they are capable of doing and concetrate only on one aspect of their skill and/or powers.

I call it Superman Syndrome.

X-Logan
Only a skilled fighter could do that
part 2

vs gambit

vs shang shi
vs shang shi 2

X-Logan
Do you have the second page? or the one before it?

You know displaying how he thrashed that thing and caught his cigar and asks Jubilee how long it was and it was like two seconds or such. . .
No...I got this from you on Wolverine respect thread. sad

Ex11B
Originally posted by Superherovandal
I highly doubt he's mastered any forms besides ninjitsu and brainless-bereserker-slash-fu.

So,who was Logans sensei?...Master Who-Flung-Poo? big grin

srankmissingnin
When Wolverine fought Roughouse the time when his healing factor was taxed out and his one arm was broken I seem to recall he was flipping around and spinning on his good arm to avoid Roughouse's attacks. Some good display of martial arts skill there. He was also able to dodge Sticks attacks after he realised Stick wasn't a weak oldman and stopped letting him land his blows.

About Wolverine vs. Gammora, he has another win against her in an Alpha Flight issue (although off panel IIRC)

long pig
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
When Wolverine fought Roughouse the time when his healing factor was taxed out and his one arm was broken I seem to recall he was flipping around and spinning on his good arm to avoid Roughouse's attacks. Some good display of martial arts skill there. He was also able to dodge Sticks attacks after he realised Stick wasn't a weak oldman and stopped letting him land his blows.

About Wolverine vs. Gammora, he has another win against her in an Alpha Flight issue (although off panel IIRC)
So, you're convinced by that fight that he does, in fact, have mastery of every known martial art known to man?

house
hahaha this is the biggest load of crap arguement I have ever heard in my life, Wolvie a master of every martial art known to man, My ass.

I know quite a bit about martial arts and combat and I can tell you he would be lucky to master 10 styles.

srankmissingnin
So, you're convinced by that fight that he does, in fact, have mastery of every known martial art known to man?

The fallowing people are the only (to my knowledge at least) Marvel characters who are said to be masters of every martial art: Captain America, Fu Manchu and I believe Dragon Fly (and all the monks at the temple where Fu Manchu was trained).

Is Wolverine a master of every martial art? Who can say? Marvel has knever said that he is in a comic book, but the have never said it about Shang Chi either and I conviced that he is. Maybe now that Wolverine has recovered all his memories (*sigh*) he'll have some idea, because up till know all he really knew was that he was damn good. There is no doubt in my mind that Wolverine is one of the top fighters in Marvel, Captian America has comment on how well Wolverine fights, so has Shang Chi heck even Stick amits that Wolverine is skilled. Just how skilled? He beat Shang Chi in there panels, had Daredevil in a full nelsion in two (after DD jumped him) owned Zaran with out getting hit (after the poison faded that is) and has beat Razor Fist a couple timies pretty easily. He has been trained by the best and he has fought the best and come out on top.

Side note: Mr. X thinks that Wolverine close enough in skilled to him and when Tasky was name dropping in their "fight", X was like "Captain America? Dare Devil? Ha! I've fought the best and beaten the best! You think to impress me with moves of men in pj's?" Yup X says Cap ain't shit

Piedmon
X was basically another one-arc villain like Gorgon, I think, so he was allowed to be as OP as he needed.

XerxesLogan
Master of all forms? Not likely......Master of many and knowlage of many more.....prolly. Think about it. He shows his skill when nessicary....(when the wrighter desires it, many just choose to have him demolish everything in his path). He seems to let his healing factor take hits in order to put him in position to end the fight. When that stratigy isn't effectve....then he seems to start going into "marial art mode". Look at it this way, he is prolly combineing many different styles. Some of the best fighters in the world....visualy look like Brawlers. It seems that they have little technique at first, look deeper and you'll see it in how they hit and thier movements. On top of that sometimes brawling has its advantiges (like when you can just heal a time consuming fatle blow and kill the guy) I think we've all seen someone with great skill get the crap beat out of him, due to the fact the other guy just rolled over him. If you can't deliver damage to an opponent and stay away from himk.....you are going to lose the fight. I think Wolvie takes that into perspective. If you can hurt him he'll fight more conservitivly, usesing his training and marial skills more pro-actively. If not......just go though them like a battering ram, its quick, thier dead....and its rather effective.

Solidus Snake
wolverine has become a whore to his powers. w/o them and him jsut keeping the claws, he would get oned by several ppl. he is skilled yes, very skilled, but tehre are so many more that are just better than him

The Real Wolvie
That's exactly what I meant. Originally posted by Creshosk
That's exactly what I meant.

I can understand how some people might think Wolverine is not a master of combat. He never showed any skill in Mark Millar's run, and it seems that more and more, he is portrayed on relying heavily on his powers. However, there are some feats where he proved his skills in combat. While he may have not truly mastered every form of combat, his skills are so extraordinary that it as if he has. If you read the bio, I believe it says "virtually" every form of combat. This is not meant to say that Wolverine has studied everything from Jujitsu to kick boxing, but it means that he is really good and can give any combatant on the planet a run for their money in terms of skill alone. This was probably portrayed most recently in Frank Tieri's run of Wolverine. During the bloodsport episodes, he was taking down villians such as Toad, Puma, and some speedy foe of Spider-man's. He took them all down without using his claws. His fight with Mr.X only ended in him going berzerk beacause that's the only way Mr.X could not read his thoughts and block his moves. Other than that, he was at least Mr.X's equal in terms of skill.

On another note, the way he's often written in comics is more to show his durability and claws rather than his skill. While this does bother me, and other Wolverine fans, it is not always the case and especially if you stick with Wolverine's solo book. (Ignoring Mark Millars run completely of course). Read Wolverine - "Not dead yet", "Bloodsport", Lary Hama's Wolverine, Frank Tieri's Wolverine and early Chris Claremont's Wolverine to see him using skill.

King KAM
Originally posted by Solidus Snake
wolverine has become a whore to his powers. w/o them and him jsut keeping the claws, he would get oned by several ppl. he is skilled yes, very skilled, but tehre are so many more that are just better than him like?

The MISTER
Is Wolverine skilled enough to do moonsaults on a tightrope?

Seriously.

King KAM
Originally posted by The MISTER

Seriously. i wouldnt put it past him....

wolverine8888

The MISTER
Originally posted by King KAM
i wouldnt put it past him....

I mean has he ever showcased this level of skill in the comics...

You can't put anything past a comic character man! cool smokin'

wolverine8888
Originally posted by The MISTER

Seriously.
he could and also being able to do that is not skill but rather agility

King KAM
he could and also being able to do that is not skill but rather agility no....its balance...

wolverine8888
Originally posted by King KAM
no....its balance...

sorta but even with all the skill in the world if u aint agile enough u can't do it

wolverine8888
like me little list of wolverine showing skill

King KAM
like me little list of wolverine showing skill aye, aye i did.

wolverine8888
it was gunna be twice as long but I got bored of typing

wolverine8888

Dizzle
can't wait to see spez reply to this

Wolverine has skills, but that's hardly every style ever created, and fighting well is more about application than knowing styles anyway. I'd say Captain America is more proficient in h2h than Wolverine. I'd say the same for Batman. It's just because he gets hit a LOT more than these guys do. You could claim PIS, because the writers want to show off his powers, not just his skills, but it does happen pretty consistantly. It just seems that the more powerful a character gets, the less skill he shows.

Creshosk
Originally posted by Dizzle
Wolverine has skills, but that's hardly every style ever created, and fighting well is more about application than knowing styles anyway. I'd say Captain America is more proficient in h2h than Wolverine. I'd say the same for Batman. It's just because he gets hit a LOT more than these guys do. You could claim PIS, because the writers want to show off his powers, not just his skills, but it does happen pretty consistantly. It just seems that the more powerful a character gets, the less skill he shows. Which brings us back to the whole being able to be hit more thing, by taking some hits that he knows he can, it might be intentional to get some extra hits in himself.

As I said hard to say, because he does rely on his powers. But does that mean that if he didn't have his powers would he rely on somehing he didn't have?

Hard to say.

long pig
But, if he relies on his powers as much as he obviously does, he will lose his skill...as he obviously has.

Creshosk
But, if he relies on his powers as much as he obviously does, he will lose his skill...as he obviously has. That's why I say its tricky. Do we know that for certain he has lost his skill?

I mean he ALWAYS relyed on his power. he rarely used his skill before.

But he still seems to pull it out when he feels it's warented.

I mean he's never relyed soley on his skill, so saying he uses it less is. . difficult.

King KAM
That's why I say its tricky. Do we know that for certain he has lost his skill?

I mean he's never relyed soley on his skill, so saying he uses it less is. . difficult. why fix it if it aint broke?

wolverine8888
That's why I say its tricky. Do we know that for certain he has lost his skill?

I mean he's never relyed soley on his skill, so saying he uses it less is. . difficult.
wolverine uses his skills all the time but allows him self to be hit. like every swing he takes is perfect , his aim is amazing but he tends to a lot of the time not care for blocking which will allow him to take out his opponets faster. also if people did noqt know this wolverine has had his powers taken away on many occassions and he had to rely purly on skill which he show was amazing. it not so much that wolverine not showing skill it mroe that because of his healing factor he can take the hits people throw so no use blocking them. also wolveirne does not lose his skill he has encrediable memory. also he trains all the time in the danger room. he also has had over the years whole stories devoted to him training to make sur ehis skills are sharp

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.