Kansas Creationism Debate Takes Criminal Turn

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Draco69
From AOL News:

LAWRENCE, Kan. (Dec. 5) - A professor whose planned course on creationism and intelligent design was canceled after he sent e-mails deriding Christian conservatives was hospitalized Monday after an apparent roadside beating.

University of Kansas religious studies professor Paul Mirecki told the Lawrence Journal-World that two men who beat him were making references to the class that was to be offered for the first time this spring. Originally called "Special Topics in Religion: Intelligent Design, Creationism and other Religious Mythologies," the course was canceled last week at Mirecki's request.

The class was added after the Kansas Board of Education decided to include more criticism of evolution in science standards for elementary and secondary students.

"I didn't know them," Mirecki said of his assailants, "but I'm sure they knew me."

Messages left by the Associated Press on Mirecki's cell phone were not immediately returned Monday night.

One recent e-mail from Mirecki to members of a student organization referred to religious conservatives as "fundies," and said a course describing intelligent design as mythology would be a "nice slap in their big fat face." Mirecki has apologized for those comments.

Lt. Kari Wempe, a spokeswoman for the Douglas County Sheriff's Department, said a deputy was dispatched to Lawrence Memorial Hospital after receiving a call around 7 a.m. regarding a battery.

She said Mirecki reported he was attacked around 6:40 a.m. in rural Douglas County south of Lawrence. Mirecki told the Journal-World he was driving to breakfast when he noticed the men tailgating him in a pickup truck.

"I just pulled over hoping they would pass, and then they pulled up real close behind," he said. "They got out, and I made the mistake of getting out."

He said the men beat him on the head, shoulders and back with their fists, and possibly a metal object.

Wempe said Mirecki drove himself to the hospital after the attack.

Mirecki told the student newspaper, The University Daily Kansan, that he spent between three and four hours at the hospital. He said his injuries included a broken tooth.

"I'm mostly shaken up, and I got some bruises and sore spots," he told the Journal-World.

Wempe said Mirecki described the suspects as two white men between 30 and 40 years of age. One of the men was described as wearing a red visor-like ball cap and wool gloves. Mirecki said the men left in a large pickup truck

Wempe said the department would investigate "every aspect," but couldn't discuss specifics.

Andrew Stangl, president of the Society for Open Minded Atheists and Agnostics at the university, described the attack as "bizarre and terrifying." He said Mirecki, who is the group's faculty adviser, was adamant that the beating was related to the recently canceled course.

"That absolutely shocked me," he said, "because people don't do that in a civilized society."

grey fox
Yes we have now degraded into a society where a semi fictional book is worshipped as the truth and a man who is trying to get his belief across is beaten.

Isn't life great.

whobdamandog
Originally posted by grey fox
Yes we have now degraded into a society where a semi fictional book is worshipped as the truth and a man who is trying to get his belief across is beaten.

Isn't life great.

My thoughts exactly.."Origin of the Species" was an excellent science fiction novel though.

Fin

Trickster
Don't think people are beaten for saying it's wrong, though. Bit of a difference.

What's with the Fin thing?

BackFire
More loving Christians for ya. Jesus would be proud.

Lana
Originally posted by Trickster
Don't think people are beaten for saying it's wrong, though. Bit of a difference.

What's with the Fin thing?

He likes to do that, thinking it ends every discussion/debate/argument he decides to post in.

Originally posted by BackFire
More loving Christians for ya. Jesus would be proud.

Gotta love it.....

Trickster
Ah. So it's a way of saying he doesn't have to disprove a point? How witty.

Snoopbert
Originally posted by BackFire
More loving Christians for ya. Jesus would be proud. I'm Christian, you don't see me going around beating up the people here who continually disparage my beliefs.

BackFire
Of course, I never said all do that. Obviously, some do though, and they're obviously taking the word of God the wrong way, following what he does rather then what he says to do, because it's not secret that the two are exact opposites - IE. He says - "Be nice, peaceful and love your fellow man". Then he goes and kills people.

Snoopbert
Yes, exactly. Also, I don't take the Bible for a historical document. Why? It was written by Humans and humans are imperfect beings. I follow it's morals more than anything else when making big decisions.

BackFire
Awesome. Don't go thinking I'm trying to insult all Christians or anything, many of my friends and family members are Christians and I know the vast majority are good people. Just saying the people who attacked this guy are obviously wackos.

That's what you should take the bible for, it's morals.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.