Internet Connection

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

powerfulone1987
To do any online gaming, you need a DSL/Cable/Broadband connection to do it.

Almost everybody has converted from dial up it sounds like but me. My mom isn't into computers and everything so she could care less about our connection. I mean, she finally gave me a phone line in my room so when I got on, I wouldn't take up her phone line, even if she didn't do it for me, b/c i still could only get on when she said so, she still got me one. But then soon after, her boyfriend's car got stuck in the mud and he got deep enough where he damaged the phone line to my room and so she has refused to repair the line since you she realized she didn't like me being able to get online whenever i want, and this has been at least 2 years or more since this has happened.

So now I repeatedly ask for a DSL/Cable/Broadband connection and she keeps on refusing me over and over again.
It would be different if she was a computer person and realized how essential a better connection is to someone who gets online as much as me and wants to get into online gaming as much as me, but it seems I'll never get to until I get my own place and graduate college and have job to pay for the connection myself, so who knows how long that will be.

God I'm frustrated and she's oblivious.

Anybody else still playing victim to dial up?

Is It Comprehensible.....

StinkFist462
dial up suck major testicles.

but speaking of internet connection. i ran a few tests and i got

Communications 4.1 megabits per second
Storage 495.2 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 2.1 seconds
Subjective rating Awesome

SaTsuJiN
Originally posted by powerfulone1987

It would be different if she was a computer person and realized how essential a better connection is to someone who gets online as much as me and wants to get into online gaming as much as me, but it seems I'll never get to until I get my own place and graduate college and have job to pay for the connection myself, so who knows how long that will be.

hmm.. well it became essential for my house after everyone realised I gamed so much that the only way to free the line was by getting me broadband .. embarrasment so I suppose you'll have to find your own reason to raise the bar on your connection.. my friends sister got cable modem cuz when my friend had to go to the hospital, the sister was tying up the line with 56k lol..

powerfulone1987
Well I keep giving reasons, and she just doesn't care. I mean what do you expect, she won't even repair my original phone line, what makes me think, she'll skip that whole process and go straight to DSl/broadband/cable.

Ugh, this is so frustrating, and she just doesn't know.
This is really putting a damper on my christmas.
Oblivious human beings.

is it comprehensible.....

El_NINO
Well I live in Canada and Broadband is expensive, however in the US its cheap, Verizon has broadband for $25, you might consider getting HDSL, which is like dial up but doesnt use your original phone line, doesnt need another phoneline, and costs the same as dial up, however you wont get broadband speed which is 10Mbps youll get like 3Mbps which makes no difference because broadband is shared and HDSL isnt.

DarkC
Get broadband.

Lana
Cable Broadband droolio

MetallicaT
yeah i feel your pain man... no one, as far as i know, even offers dsl/cable where i live...****ing sucks..and its very frustrating knowing that ppl not even 3 miles away from me can get broadband mad

hotsauce6548
I thought you were in college... blink

exanda kane

MetallicaT
Originally posted by hotsauce6548
you talkin to me?
i am in college, but i'm living at home right now so....yeah

Mišt
Yay for shit 128k! w00t

Fire
Dial-up sucks, never had it (tho mates had it) first and only connection we have at home is Broadband cable (damn expensive tho, compared to most other countries)

Zen2nd
I had to pay for the broadband myself and set it up myself just so I could have it.

Never had dial up ever and I've only had broadband nearly two years now.

powerfulone1987
Originally posted by hotsauce6548

I am in college, but of course you know Christmas is coming up so I'm on my Christmas Vacation.

And plus they have so many ports closed up there on their connection, i've given up trying to get online gaming up there.

is it comprehensible.....

powerfulone1987
So is it called a cable connection when you have an ethernet cord hooked from your pc into the wall?

how exactly is dsl/broadband hooked up?

Arahan
Hehe Ihave done the telephone bill thign too.

After expensive phone bills I could convince my parents to change to a
faster connection. Personally I prefered Cable but we dont have cable in our town so I had to choose DSL. Well a 2Mbit Connection should be okay.

Wolf Dog
Couple of years ago i was begging my parents for DSL broadband and got it, it was the happiest day of my life.

powerfulone1987
lucky b@st@rds..........

Do any of you have any ideas of how I could make my mom see how much more convenient and better DSL/Broadband is and the many benefits of it?

Wolf Dog
Show her stuff that would benefit her instead of you. And be sure to include "it will help me with my studies." You gotta have that.

powerfulone1987
well i couldn't actually say it could help me with my studies since i'm in college now so all of my studying, the majority anyway, is done in my dorm and cable connection there.
I am at home now for christmas break, but no studying going on,lol.

what things could i say benefit her though?

Lana
Oftentimes, if you have cable or satelleite TV and the company offers broadband internet, you can get a package deal.

Plus between the phone bill and cost of the dialup service per month, with broadband you really don't wind up paying that much more.

We have Comcast cable broadband internet and just set up a wireless network tonight.

Wolf Dog
I don't know man, try to find out what your mother likes and see if you can find web sites on it. Also show her things you think she might like. Think man think!

powerfulone1987
well we just got direct tv, any package with that?

so she'll actually be saving money with dsl/broadband?

and i've been thinking forever and all out of ideas, i need some help now.

Lana
I've no idea about Direct TV, look it up online and find out! stick out tongue

Seriously though, do a bit of self-research. See if you can find out how much the phone bill and the internet bills are, broadband costs vary but it's usually around $50 a month. When we still had dialup we were paying nearly that already between the phone bill and the dialup service.

powerfulone1987
i'll check it out, if i can find anything that is.

powerfulone1987
i thought it was funny, just now when I was looking at adult swim, and you know how they got a black screen and will just have words on the screen saying stuff, well they said "are you stuck at your parent" "we are too" "they have dial up don't they" and they they have "happy" and then then after happy they show "holidays" slowly loading onto the screen, representing how slow dial up is. Funny, yet sad for me.

haters

Wolf Dog
Ahhaha, that's very ironic and sucks for you. stick out tongue

Fire
isn't there a consumer organisation which does articles comparing both. Like over here (in Belgium) a consumer org did a comparisson between all possible types of internet connections: Telephone, budget cable/DSL, medium cable/DSL and high end cable/DSL. They came to the conclussion that from the moment you spent more than 14 hours a month online you are better of with budget cable/DSL than with Telephone. Try looking up figures like that, usually economics are a good card to play with parents.

El_NINO
Originally posted by powerfulone1987
lucky b@st@rds..........

Do any of you have any ideas of how I could make my mom see how much more convenient and better DSL/Broadband is and the many benefits of it?

Show her how much it costs, in other words find a way to show facts and break it down and compare to what you have now.

Lana
Those really are your best bets.

My mom thankfully came to her senses nearly two years ago and got cable broadband, because we already had Comcast digital cable so getting the cable internet would be discounted, and just a bit cheaper than what we'd been paying for an extra phone like for the internet and the dialup service.

powerfulone1987
I've got some news people.

I'M GETTING BROADBAND/DSL!!!!!!!!

Yup, she hasn't given me an official date when she'll get it all straight, or any inclination how soon, she just says she will, which gets tiring day after day with no results, but at least I got a "yes".

ash007
mmm yeah i had the same probelm so i just got a parttime job and paid for it with my own money.

Problem solvedsmile

Fire
now I have one broadband cable connection shared over 4 comps. still speed is pretty ok tho.

powerfulone1987
can multiple computers be on one broadband connection at the same time?

Well she called one of the dsl/broadband services yesterday to get it all ready but they don't give it in out area, so now we're back at square one. I'm trying to get her to call out direct tv people and see if they package dsl/broadband with it.

Let's hope she doesn't wait for forever to do this. Although I was surprised when she told me she had just called the other people yesterday, even though this was after a little speech from me about her taking forever and me leaving soon.

do any of you mind listing your dsl/broadband services and the prices? thanks.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.