USH'S ANNUAL CHRISTMAS-ISH RP TRIVIA QUIZ! All rejoice...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ushgarak
Back by... absolutely no demand at all, but I am going to hope that people want it anyway, here is a brand new RP trivia quiz for you nerdy nerds to try and equal my great nerdy nerdiness in.

Much of this quiz covers events from the last year of RPing... but by no means all of it, so newer people and veterans alike can dig deep to try and find some answers.

Have fun...

Ushgarak

Tptmanno1
Alright cool...
OK I'm gonna give this a go all off the top of my head for the simple reason, that I am currently way too lazy to go look them all up.

A:
2, The Hutts.
5, He was unkillable or something like that, But in reality he just had a crazy huge amout of fortune points. (God damn mother F***ing Strine...)
6, It was in a grain silo.
B: No, not even gonna try, Can't think of actors/actresses to save my life.
C:
1, He wanted control of the Serpent. He used the Darkies to assasinate all of the male members of the Serpent, so he could marry Jena (or whatever her name was) and take control.

3, The leader was concered about his legacy, and none of his sons were good enough to take over inhis place, they all had some major flaw. His daughter, who For consistancy I am going to call Jena would be the best choice, but it was a paternal society and she could not take over.

5, He thought we wanted to steal the information from the vault. We were both under the influence of the mysterious dark side power, and therefore not all my fault. He was worried about the immediate safty of the vault, and we took different positions on how to approach that, with him wanting to attack ASAP, and me wanting to be more diplomatic. (I'll think of more later...)

D:
2, I really want to say National Treasure, but the time line is off, and the ending is wrong.
5, This HAS to be Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, which was one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

E:
2, It made the Darkies actually want to go to the Golden Serpent HQ, The legend of the Sith Tablet was like the carrot dangled over their head to make them do Doon's bidding.

F:
No clue, But I bet the Serpent was the orginal Idea, with everything else kinda revolving around that, for the darkies.

Ushgarak
Oooh, well, I shall comment later.

Though I can't believe you don't like Butch Cassidy.

(Makes note: Sienar kills Roan)

Tptmanno1
I found that movie incredibly boring...
I have a quasi review I had to write for school up in the MDF...

Ushgarak
Sienar kills very painfully, you know.

Tptmanno1
Ohh Guess not, THats Mag. 7...
Meh, If Roan Died every time you planned his death...
Well, Roan would be Jesus by now...

Ushgarak
Oh... so HAVE you seen Butch Cassidy?

(It IS the Pinkerton Detective Agency from that film, yes; that was the inspiration for the Bureau. Though that's real life as well as just the film).

Tptmanno1
Yes, I have seen it,
The review posted is Mag. 7 Not Butch Cassidy.

I found the lack of Music distrubing....

Lord Melkor
Few answers:

-Cassilis plotline was influenced by "Name of the Rose" by Umberto Eco.

-The legend about Siva was supposed to be a warning against Doon`s manipulation, and to show that mundane beings are capable of making fools out of Force Users.

-Kuylen`s purpose- besides providing the driving force behind the plot, to show that not every powerful Dark Jedi can be a real threat to Galaxy, and not all ancient stories can lead to Power.

-Galder`s visions- as a violent C type he was an emotional person, who didn`t have a great control over his emotions, he had the greatest link with Kuylen of all players, was desperate to find him.

-Golden Serpent in crisis- you need trully great man to hold such big criminal Empire. When the leadership is hereditary, it is impossible. Yigo was competent, but not trully great.

-Shienar diffrence- perhaps he really sees himself as good?

Now few questions of my own:

-What templates did you use for the Mika, Deva, Bora, Yigo and Yago Lantarnas? I think Slaver template is best to represent higher ranking criminals, this is why I wondered about it`s narrow name- there is nothing that makes it restricted to slavery. Actually, why you don`t post the stats for death villains?

-What is Yoda`s Force Rating?

-Would the first Campaign be much diffrent if the players were let by someone like Shienar instead of Kuylen?

Lana
Okie, I haven't even looked at what others have posted yet.....

A.
1. (in no particular order) Jena, Bora, Yago, Deva, Mika, Vigo.
2. The Hutts
3. Ummm....can't remember. Something that was feline.
4. Weren't they telepathic or something.
5. Unkillable or really lucky or something like that.
6. In a grain silo.
10. Flotsam I

B.
1. Keith Carradine
2. Carrie-Anne Moss
3. Weren't Krisha and Jolanta sisters? I'll guess the same for her.
7. Uhhh.....I knew this....can't remember.
8. Monica Bellucci

C.
1. So we would trust him, basically....though Galder could have been able to figure out that he wasn't who he said he was (especially with the story about the tablet). He wanted to take control but couldn't because he wasn't a Lantarnan.
3. The Lantarnans themselves were botching things, I think. Plus the only one who was really competent was Jena, who couldn't lead.
4. Wasn't he already starting to lose it at that point? I dunno....

D.
1. Blake's 7
3. Also Blake's 7 stick out tongue
5. Butch Cassidy

E.
2. To ultimately show how we had been tricked the same way, more or less.....
3. Um, quite a few (working in secrecy, which we're not very good at, the Rule of Two.....at least that's what I can think of....). We're not really bad guys, exactly, we're being messed with by the Sith as well as the Jedi, ummm....

F.
Umm.....well, I know our first two episodes of this Campaign were written for us, so I'd assume that means they were written after the third episode.

Well, that's what I've got right now....without going back to look at anything (I'm too lazy) stick out tongue

Captain REX
A.

1. Jena, Vigo, Mika, Deva, Bora, Yago, in order of intelligence...
2. The Hutts?
3. Zepharin (sp?)
4. Telepathy!
5. Strine was supposedly able to defeat death several times, until Roan cut him in half...
6. Under the floor boards of the silo we entered.
7. The Taloraanian scientist had developed a missile targeting program they needed for their hailfire droids.
8. "The New Order is coming, and you have no place in it," or something to that degree.
9. Serenno, Dooku's homeworld
10. Flotsam I

B.
1. Kuylen - Keith Carradine, d'Hubert, The Duelists
2. Krisha - Carrie-Anne Moss, Trinity, The Matrix

Captain REX
3. Jolanta - Eliza Dushku, Faith, Buffy the Vampire Slayer
6. Kir Ascar - Malcolm MacDowell, possibly Dr. Solan from Star Trek?
7. Vigo Lantarnas - Brian Blessed, dunno the character & source...
8. Jena Lantarnas - Monica Belluci, Persephone, The Matrix Reloaded

C.
1. First off, Doon wanted us to assassinate the Lantarnas, with the exception of Jena. With the family dead, Jena's husband- Doon- could control the Golden Serpent. Secondly, if he could kill us and return the tablet to the Serpent, he would have full support; we could have exposed him by his story of the 'Avalar' tablet coming from the Sith Armada, because they never left Avalar until we grabbed some.

2. The first one was to upgrade the hailfire droids, I think? The second one was to make a droid capable of taking down Jedi.

4. Because he had been 'touched by the Sith'; he'd been to Avalar AND Zeiton's Mausoleum; Takuan's probably would have been pretty vivid if he had visited both sites as well...

Ushgarak
Ok, let's see how you folks have done! I shall compress your answers into one super-answer sheet, made by a combined player gestalt, that I call Bob.

---

Bob says!

(note I give advice on gaps here)

A:

1. Jena, Bora, Yago, Deva, Mika, Vigo... boring but true.

2. The Hutts- yes indeedy

3. "Something that was feline" hmmm... Zeraphrain they were.

4. Telepathic indeed- but only amongst their own siblings

5. All got the right answer, though missed the phrase- he was the 'Pirate who could not die'. Roan proved that wrong but it sure took a lot of effort.

6. Grain silo is good, but Bob's second answer of being beneath the floor of that silo is better!

7. "The Taloraanian scientist had developed a missile targeting program they needed for their hailfire droids." Beautifully exact. If you wanted more, you could point out that the scientist refused to simply sell the info, on moral grounds.

8. "New Order" is the key, "Long Live the New Order" was the line.

9. Seronno indeed, though it appears in retrospect that Dooku happily talks Gunray into working for Sidious again. That's Corruption for you.

10. Flotsam I- yup! That'll be back. Good resource for people.

B.

1. Keith Carradine, d'Hubert, The Duelists. Absolutely- man spent his whole life duelling, it seems.

2. Carrie-Anne Moss, Trinity, The Matrix. Created so just to make one of my friends attracted to her.

3. Eliza Dushku, Faith, Buffy the Vampire Slayer- ditto

4. Ignore this one; I was only making the point that Ascar'sactor had to be changed. Answer E1 instead.

5. Think films, old but not too old, think smart person is trying to kill hero not because of evil motives but because what the hero represents in the way of doom to the Elder's people.

6. Malcolm MacDowell- but as noted later, not in that role orignally but standing in for it (because he fitted well having played such arrogant, superior roles many times in his day).

7. Vigo Lantarnas - Brian Blessed- playing just about any role he ever played

8. Monica Bellucci- Persephone... well, not necessarily Persephone but that's as good a source as any.

9. I've pretty much given you all you need to answer this one.

10. Argentis- young, fit attractive... and for a big clue, dead.

C.

1. Ok, I am assuming everyone knows Doon's basic motives to destroy the Serpent leadership, but specifically, why the Dark Siders?

2. I guess BB hasn't had a shot yet. He knows what the Union was up to, I am sure.

3. Everyone's getting in the right area but haven't quite hammered it down- 'competent but not great' is the best so far, but what behaviour actually caused people to make that diagnosis?

4. Galder's visions- he is wild, but that wouldn't change them much. He DOES have a close link to Kuylen, but that's only why he saw Kuylen, it doesn't account for the strength of it. Truth was indeed that Galder, having been to Zeiton and Avalar, is touched deeply by these Dark Side presences already- and especially at Avalar, where he was already tested on emotional response in the same manner as the drug was stimulating in his head. But why was the effect spreading?

5. Well, we have a few, feel free to list more

D:

1, Nice try on National Treasure, though I am sure they would be flattered to be called 'interstellar'. Bob has a better stab at this later, with Blake's 7; the episode was called 'Pressure Point', and you guys got off easy- one of the regular characters gets killed on the way out when they found their empty room. His last words were "I'm not worth dying for" which was probably true but it's still a spectacularly pointless way to have died.

2. This is indeed 'Name of the Rose'; well spotted, Bob. In fact, a line from the film- "You have found many things in your time here, but the short route through the labyrinth is not one of them" was rather cheekily almost directly quoted to Roan in the finale. Looking at the set-up for NOTR, you can see how this story was originally written for a Jedi Master (ok, Gundark is female, but SW is gender neutral in this regard), and if it had been a Master and his Padawan, so much the better. As it is, note Sunda's sudden taste for girls in that episode. Oh my, all the things that get missed...

Ok, a load of you haven't seen that film, have you? That's an error that needs correcting.

However, no equivalent of Kuylen or his army in NOTR, no equivalent of the activities of the Lady, no murders in my Episode (until the end)... and so on.

3. Blake's 7 again! This time from the episode 'Rescue'. Doon is very similar to resucer Dorian from B7, especially in having a ship named Scorpio, and his hidden base on the planet Xenon (with the wine supply that runs out) is eerily familiar, as is his double-crossing of the protagonists who then kill him.

Of course, Doon isn't a centuries old vampire-type living off the absorbed energies of his hapless victims who feed their existances into a hideous looking (both in intention nd special effects) monster who lives in the basement of the base, nor was he looking to try and finish off his experiment in teleportation by gaining access to the only people who regularly used it. Concept- identical. Plot- not even remotely similar.

As I have pointed out before, though, the B7 protangonists were harder to dupe; when Dorian saves the lives of some of them, the leader pulls a gun on him. When Dorian protests that he just did the life saving, Avon replies "Well, every silver lining has a cloud" and proceeds to hijack his ship. That's the spirit!

4. No tries on this one? Odd, this is the one that was almost guessed by mistake at the time. This is actually a plot for a section of a film, not for a whole film.

5. It is indeed Butch Cassidy- as I note, this is actually for real as well as fiction, representing the authorities adjusting to previously unbeatable threats.

E:

1. Admittedly this one is very hard. Easier if you are in the UK and could at least recognise the source. Basically, though, what reasons could there possibly be to not use the actor that played the original role?

2. The detail about Siva's background went way beyond just the existance of the tablet- Doon handled all that, but there was much more to find out actually in the citadel.

Bob comes back for a second try at this and gets some of the key points exactly- first, that it is not impossible for a smart enough non-force user to get the better of even powerful force users- a direct warning to the players that this was happening right now.

The second reason ties into what is wrong with Vigo, and the third... is really just a comment on legend from my brother.

3. Rule of Two- yes that's the easiest, but what are the details of that? And I dunno in what sense you consider yourself 'not bad guys', you murdering bastards...

4. Kuylen's purpose... ok, yes, definiutely first of all to show that you can't beat the Republic.

"Wait," says Bob, "but the Republic was beaten!"

To clarify then- you cannot, as a bunch of elites as you are, destroy the Republic in the ways you might imagine- amassing vast amounts of power and marching directly on the Republic. Why not? Because doing so requires a chain of events, starting with A and getting to at least z before you have your army. The Jedi will predict and intercept that chain long before completion- and in Kuylen's case, they knew that he could never reach Z at all. The Jedi are just too good at it compared to you guys.

Only the Sith can rival this, and indeed they do, and Yoda and Windu are concerned indeed when they note that they never foresaw Kamino.

Theoretically speaking then- can ONLY the Sith have such power? Well, Master Obfuscate does help, but it's not at Palpatine levels. Worried players might note that no-one predicted either Sienar or the Lady. That's not actually true, several people did both, but the clues were often obscure.

Let's just leave it as saying that the Dark Side players might be able to push the boundaries here, having learned their lesson.

As for not all ancient stories leading to power... well, true, but we wouldn't have much plot if we shot that down entirely.

There WAS a comment to be made that you don't have to get locked into this idea that ancient Sith stuff is necessary for power- Sidious needed none of that (except in the EU). In my game, nor does Sienar. But the plotline for the Lady may be somewhat different (though it's still not going to be quite as straightforwards as many EU sources have it); at the end of the day, the 'Jedi Lore' skill has a purpose.

Basically... Sith Myths ('Syths') do have purpose in the game- Avalar was totally genuine, and totally useful (though in a more mundane way than the "I now have the [power of a GOD!!!!" way the EU likes it).

But... there was most certainly a warning that the Sith do not give up their secrets, and to see the Dark Side is to invite destruction. Demnos in particular had some skill in this regard, as you might find out one day.

5. Still no-one got any idea on this? Oh man, and you were obsessing about it at first... the Dark Side player linked is Gallador.

F. A bit of logic will get you a loing way on this one! Just put the Episodes in order then jiggle them around as seems to make sense as to the writing order.

G.

1. See if you can have a guess as to what might make an Osokan a pariah in the view of his peers.

2. It's an old friend, and when I say friend, I mean not even vaguely a friend.

3. Because they are the rootinest, tootinest deputies in town, of course!

4. "Your evil is my good."- classic line from Sutekh in Doctor Who. "I am Sutekh the destroyer. Where I tread, I leave nothing but dust and darkness. I find that good."

Moral flexibility may well be the hallmark of many Sith in times past- as may self-delusion about their motives (just look at Anakin). Be assured, though, Sienar revels in the evil he has caused, and he does not see himself as good.

5. Because they are too weak. Seriously.

Ushgarak
To answer my interrogation in turn...

Slaver is indeed a good template for those sorts of villainsm, and that is to do with the way around it was created; the Slaver was a Star Wars archetype, and then a useful type of character was put onto that archetype.

As it was, I tried to make the Lantarnans as varied as possible- big gun Bora was a Mercenary, Vigo was actually closer to being a Primitive Warrior, Deva was a Slaver... and so on.

Difficult as it is to be drawn on 'real' character values, Yoda is probably a 17, though as all this might be re-calibrated soon, we shall see.

And yes, it would have been totally different if Sienar was in charge. He might possibly have gone to Avalar; he would never have gone to Zeiton, and his objectives would have been completely different. he's also not much of a team player, though, so the set-up is a bit forced.

Lord Melkor
Sienar interests me, as it should be impossible for a figure so twisted to actually pretend to be a saint-like figure. And he actually seems to be doing good as an Abbott.

Who is Bob by the way?

And how is Gallador linked with Shienar? They haven`t met each other.

Captain REX
Gallador's the link, eh?

I would say 'Grevor Scovione,' but that's ridiculous.

I remember it was in one of his hallucinations. Was it WHERE the hallucinations were?

Oh, this is one of those quizzes that makes me want to become a recluse and watch old movies the rest of my life to try and catch up with Ush...

Ushgarak
Bob is the gestalt entity, as I explained.

As for meeting Sienar- that's what you think! As for his faked behaviour-he is a true Master of the Dark Side, and all the deception that goes with it. He's twisted but he's not insane. Well, actually, by most measures all Dark Siders are insane really, but he's in control.

And it depends what you mean by where. And Grevor's not ridiculous at all.

Captain REX
Oh, not what I meant. stick out tongue

I seem to remember Scovione talking to Gundark about a Dark Jedi he hunted who died off? Before Gallagher met Sienar, I supposed that, in retrospect, he was speaking of Gallador. Could he have been talking about Sienar, not known as Sienar?

And Palmero and Vataan are just background places for Gallador...right?

Ushgarak
He might, for example, have been talking about Kalik.

Vataan is Gundark's homeworld.

Lord Melkor
Ush, is the hint Gallador`s backstory, or something that happened in game?

Gallador`s Master died killed by Dark Jedi in a mess that involved some slavers, but Gallador killed the renegade.... Or not?

Ushgarak
As far as I know, yes he did. It's not a major link for you.

Lana
I skimmed through trying to find those links with Sienar...I never did find anything, but I didn't really look too hard, either. Maybe I'll go hunting for that again.

General Zink
If you try to search the name Kalik, Arms Race pops up as well...

Ushgarak
Rex has pretty much spotted the important part, which is why the term appears in Arms Race.

Captain REX
So it does have something to do with Scovione?

Ushgarak
That's all part of the link, yes.

Captain REX
I couldn't find the name 'Kalik' in that thread. I'll probably check a few more times.

Ushgarak
Well, you guys are probably looking for more than is there.

Captain REX
Knowing us...I somehow don't doubt that.

Ushgarak
Ok, let's get you guys somse help on the unanswered ones here.

B5- actor for the Elder on Zeiton. Some may remember me mentioning in the past that this role was taken from a film. In fact, the whole film has a fair basis for the set-up of Zeiton, so to narrow things down I will pose this as if it were an 'identify the film source' question.

"Landing on a mysterious planet devastated by war, our hero(es) find that they are hated and loathed on sight by the surprisingly evolved and sophisticated inhabitants. Quickly they find themselves sentenced to death just for being who they are. But there are others who see them as as fascinating links to the past. There is continual friction with the senior scientific mind on the planet, who warns that discovering the truth will only bring pain to all- and he is right."

B9- actor for Melkus Doon. BB should be able to find this out pretty easily- he found the episode his character base comes from.

B10- actor for Argentis. When I said 'dead' I mean the actor, not Argentis (who is also dead). Second clue/link- he was in a Lucasfilm film, in a notceable (though not huge) role. So young, good looking, athletic actor, been in a Lucasfilm film, and now dead. You should be able to get it.

C1- Ok, to re-phrase this question now... Doon needed patsies to wipe out the leadership of the Serpent for him. But- aside from the fact he needed someone good enough to do it- why did he take the risk of trying to use Dark Siders?

C2- no answer to this one yet? It's an important Light Side plot. What was the Union up to in the first story arc (Episodes I and II) of the second campaign? Remember that this is in a post-TPM environment, and is part of the plot that leads to things being as they are by the start of AOTC.

D4- Aw c'mon! I thought that was the easiest! I guarantee that more of you have seen this film than In the Name of the Rose.

Ok, reminder- it is the film that provided the base plot for Spiridos- in fact, it is the first 25 minutes or so of the film only. It involves a health centre, attempts to kill the hero, murderous patrons (male and female) and dead people apparently also walking around alive and well.

I suspect people might be thinking too obscure; this is from one of the most famous franchises in history. The film is old, but is famous like all in the franchise.

E1- It will be interesting if people can get this one. To repeat the situation- Malcolm MacDowell plays Kir Ascar instead of the man who SHOULD be playing him. The challenge is to find the source of Ascar, and state why the actor was changed. Actually just doing it that way might be very hard indeed- easier for people in the UK (the source is a tv programme).

But I'll ask this basic point again- what reason can I possibly have for taking a source for a fictional character and then changing the actor? There is really only one reason that makes sense. Once you suss that, you can guess at the original actor, and then backtrack his work to find the source.

F. I am sure someone can have a go at this. Just TRY and put them in order. I'll give you a clue- the first one written was Episode I of Campaign I. Try and work it out from there...

G.

1. I actually can't remember if this was revealed yet or not. I must be getting old. Anyway, yes, there is a definitive event that caused Matadan to fall from power, and it is there to be discovered if you want. It's not staggeringly relevant but it does help you build a picture.

2. What turned Gonderkorro into a ghost world? I said it was an old friend, meaning an old enemy... actually, it's more of a collection of enemies, and they've only bugged one half of the equation before now...

3. Scary deputies? Seriously, no-one would dare commit crimes with these deputies around, though 'due process' might be a foreign concept.

4. Sienar not a Sith Lord? Well... he would find Vader's raison d'etre hysterical, for a start.

5. Why didn't the Jedi kill Sienar given the chance? No, I'm not messing around here. You're too weak. He'll tell you himself.

Ushgarak
But for everyone's favourite question...

E5. Sienar in this storyline in earlier times.

Well now. You might want to consider:

What was found on one of the assassins on Coruscant in 'Conspiracy'

Scovione's conversation with a convalescent Gundark in 'Arms Race'.

What happened to Vataan- something that seems to have been forgotten. It is the reason why Gallador's visions of that place seem unreal, as if they have no source any more. That sort of disruption causes great ripples in the Force- as Gundark felt once more at the start of 'Zeiton'.

The type of people Gallador was fighting in one of his other visions at the time...

... and what Sienar is up to these days.

Lana
I think I know that one...I just can't recall the name for anything!

I know where that's from, so I think I should be able to get it....

(runs off to look stuff up)

Tptmanno1
Oh god... I'm stupid..
"This Ain't no Planet of the Apes!!"
*Dances to MSI and Answer*

Lana
laughing out loud

BTW, after searching, I found B9....as I remember, Doon was based off of Dorian from Blake's 7, who was played by Geoffrey Burridge.

(that took me FOREVER to find)

Tptmanno1
And Since its been a while since I've seen that movie...
The actor playing the elder would be James Whitmore?

Tptmanno1
G3:
Their ghosts??

Tptmanno1
Is D4 Bond? You only Live Twice?

Lana
I dunno, though I know it's Bond....I don't like the movies and therefore have seen nearly none of them, though.

Lana
Think I got this....River Phoenix, who was in one of the Indiana Jones movies.

Tptmanno1
OK, A gem from Vataan was given to Gundy buy the Assasin,
Vataan Blew up. Space dust. Sudden Supernova, that I would bet now was Sienar...
Ascar Also gave her a necklas from another dead planet, one that was mentioned that the Jedi failed to forsee (Sith? I think so)
Eburia

Woah, Also Gundy's master said stuff about a drug ring on Vataan...
That and Spirados...
Sienar again? I wouldn't doubt, Sith Drug Smuggler? maybe..

Another thing, GUndy's master also mentioned an old force potent Nemisis named Kalik.. Sienar's disgise... I'll bet, also said he died chasing his old master. So that could mean he or the master is Sienar...

End Research

Lana
And in one of Gallador's hallucinations he was fighting drug smugglers.

Tptmanno1
Connections!

Lana
We have too much time on our hands, I think, to spend an afternoon searching all this stuff down laughing out loud

Ushgarak
Good going here! All been good here so far... except that it's not You Only Live Twice.

I'll give you one guess as to what was being smuggled.

Indeed, the destruction of Vataan was very unexpected, and not foreseen.

And you do remember who Gallador was with in that flashback, yes?

Captain REX
C1. Doon not only needed us to wipe out the Lantarnans (except Jena), but he wanted to entirely re-enact the victory of Siva Lantarnan over the original Sith he nabbed it from. Doon would have nabbed it from us after leaving us to die against the Osokans and his dupe of the Dark Jedi would have been complete, as Siva had duped the Sith and stolen the tablet before letting them be slaughtered by Jedi.

Lana
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Good going here! All been good here so far... except that it's not You Only Live Twice.

I'll give you one guess as to what was being smuggled.

Indeed, the destruction of Vataan was very unexpected, and not foreseen.

And you do remember who Gallador was with in that flashback, yes?

That was when he was with Scovione, right?

(I can't be bothered to go back to check right now)

Alkaselzer
C2. Either it's that the Techno Union is trying to build a sizeable army, or that they wanted to have examples of Jedi fighting styles to feed to their BV50...

Ushgarak
Indeed Gallador was.

That's the second of the Union's two objectives

Alkaselzer
Just a question, but did Sienar/Brith/Kalik exist before I detailed out my background? I imagine he did and you just said "Hey, we can have Sienar have been Brith too!", but just curious.

Tptmanno1
Never Say Never Again. Thats the Bond movie Spirados was based off.

Ushgarak
Almost...

Sienar existed first, but he easily fitted into the background of others.

Captain REX
Like most villains in the RPG, thus far.

Tptmanno1
Arrh!!!
Not Never Say Never??
Dammit!

Ushgarak
Nope, but close.

General Zink
Another thing...Vataan's destruction was not predicted, as Ascar or Scovione said. Perhaps Sienar used an Obfuscation method to keep it from being predicted? I doubt he's that powerful, but who knows...

Ushgarak
Ok, time to blow the gaffe on the remaining quiz things here.

First of all, the Spiridos plotline...

... was based on the first 30 minutes of Thunderball. tpt was very close but chose the remake instead of the original.

The amusing thing being that Jazzman made a comment in thread about how a villain in a Bond film wouldn't stay to watch the hero's demise, unaware that he was in a Bond moment at that very point, though it was an exercise machine being used to try and kill Bond rather than a hockey match. However, Bond seduced the nurse in his version, giving him some style points. Bond was halfway through fighting his version of Varm before his version of Kathya did the job for him, but there was no question of that in our version, where such a personal hatred of Varm had emerged.

And indeed in Thunderball the villain did walk away... but in Moonraker, when a very similar thing happened, the villain stuck around. Just goes to show.

-

Ascar's character is based upon the bad guy in the Inspector Morse episode 'Masonic Mysteries'; a devastatingly intelligent and resourceful criminal who had some very odd ideas about the way that life worked, complete with the telebiogenesis idea of rebirth.

However, here is the kicker... the reason the actor was changed to Malcolm MacDowell is that the original actor... was Ian McDiarmid.

Yes indeed, the only reason not to use the original actor is if the original actor is already rather obviously in use! If Ascar looked exactly like Palpatine, people would raise eyebrows. As it is, Malcolm steps into the role admirably.

-

I guess you guys lost track of the original Union objective- yes, they were definitely trying to get data on Jedi fighting style,s to see how they performed agauinst droid armies (and Cannes personally wanted the data for use with his BV-50 project)...

... but if you cast your minds back, their main objective at the time was to beat the legal issue. Those court cases pending against the Federation, remember? They made the whole thing point to Carlan Ryamore- all the legal issuea and problems ranging from The Phantom Menace to Xeth's investigation into the missing droids.

With Carlan dead, the legal issue became stalled and remains so to this point in the story, and evidently (from the films) is in fact never successfully pursued.

Jazzman_78
Huh. Well, I guess I need to watch more james Bond. That was also before I understood how much you 'borrowed' from movie plots. Very cool though. And I didn't remember the thing about Moonraker, interesting.

Ushgarak
Originally posted by Captain REX
Like most villains in the RPG, thus far.

Broadly, indeedy so.

However, Sienar was also designed really with the fact that players have a tendency to put Dark Jedi into their backgrounds.

Often, the actions of these Dark Jedi are hard to reconcile with the surrounding Galaxy the game is set in; they seem to pursue very erratic and weird goals.

Sienar was designed as someone nutty/clever enough to fit into the most diverse of backgrounds. It's important that he couldn't be just 'another' Dark Jedi.

Ushgarak
Good Lord, it is a year since I posed- as a teaser- a question about what destroyed Matadan's reputation. I didn't imagine that a year later, people still wouldn't know!

Captain REX
Hehe...

Maybe it has something to do with outlawing hunting?

Lord Melkor
Good Lord, it is a year since I posed- as a teaser- a question about what destroyed Matadan's reputation. I didn't imagine that a year later, people still wouldn't know!

I discovered it- taxing the hunting business was the reason....

Lord Melkor
And the question why Jedi would refuse to kill Sienar- he is supposed to save entire worlds from famine, right?

The diffrence between Sith and Sienar- he doesn`t want to rule the Galaxy? He doesn`t follow the rule of two?( though I think he wants Gallagher to be his apprentice).

Ushgarak
As to the first- prove it! That's just Gallagher's little psychosis, and he may be absolutely right but it's hardly a context the Jedi are working with. Sienar's obviously up to no good and I doubt any of the other players will seriously believe they will be doing active harm to the Galaxy by killing him.

Why wouldn't he want to rule the Galaxy? He's all about control, clearly.

Lord Melkor
Well, but he is dying and knows of it, right? Perhaps Gallagher could be his sucessor.

And all this talk of Gonderkorro deputies is quite exciting. It would be interesting for Dark Side to have some challenging opponents that are actually on the "good side". If we fight bastards all the time we could forget we are the bad guys.

General Kaliero
Originally posted by Lord Melkor
And all this talk of Gonderkorro deputies is quite exciting. It would be interesting for Dark Side to have some challenging opponents that are actually on the "good side". If we fight bastards all the time we could forget we are the bad guys.

An interesting thought, but from the viewpoint of us Type C's, we just don't care. stick out tongue If we want something and someone's in the way, they die. And that's pretty much all there is to it. big grin

Lana
Yeah, that's pretty much it with us...stick out tongue

Lord Melkor
Well, but I would like to betray or corrupt someone if possible..... killing all the time is boring.

And Gallador is devastated that Rogan totally owned him, who would give him a hug?

Lana
Maybe an Epirean?

Lord Melkor
Well, even a bald chick would be preferable....

Ushgarak
He's not dying. The Florean Lichen are entirely treatable- they just render your quality of life rather shitty.

Trust me, the Gonderkorro deputies are REALLY scary. There is nothing you can put forwards that they will not match.

Lord Melkor
Interesting... but they have some rules or code of conduct? If their main goal is to protect their people and upholding local law, it could be exploited, though maybe not with the same extent as with Jedi.

Lana
He's not dying. The Florean Lichen are entirely treatable- they just render your quality of life rather shitty.

Trust me, the Gonderkorro deputies are REALLY scary. There is nothing you can put forwards that they will not match.

But we can still kill them, right?

Ushgarak
They have a certain amount of theoretical conduct involved but I would not rely on them to stick with it.

Btw, you (the Dark Siders) live in a world of bastard coated bastards with a hard bastard interior. There aren't really many good guys to fight, and when you do hack them to pieces- like the Demaran militia- you barely notice they were even there.

Lana
I'm still just the most curious about the Desert of Stones...stupid vision and hallucinations.

Lord Melkor
Hehe, I think I like it. Though I was wondering how Commisar Esgabath compares to Gallador on the scale of evil. Certainly an attempt to destroy entire civilization because your Master orders you so trumps anything ever achieved in Dark Side storylines. Though it is likely more the matter of means.... unfortunately Gallador doesn`t have armies at his disposal. Actually, Gallador has ideas resembling the New Order as well... I assume the main diffrence is that Gallador is more thoughtful, while Esgabath believes in hierarchy and discipline(which have something to do with him being renegade from Tasker`s Crown nobility), and is not consumed by Darkside struggles and pursuit for Force Knowledge....

Oh, and Esgabath has a hot assistant but don`t tell my girlfriend about it, okay?

Ushgarak
Desert of Stones- ok, I'll you something.

No-one has ever come out of it alive.

Lana

Well that sounds like fun.

Lord Melkor

Assuming any Force Users were there as well?

Well, perhaps you could answer my question:

Does Lady accept non-females in her Order of Force Users?

Ushgarak
I actually can't answer that one. I do know that at one point the fact there is a female in your group was going to be significant, but I think that has become less so now.

To the best of my knowledge the whole vibe with the Lady and what not is definitely that they are all female, but that doesn't mean she won't 'accept' men, as it were. it might be more a matter of availability. People like you are very rare. She'll make all of this clear pretty quick.

And now behold as I send Melkor crazy with desire:

if you wanted to know a little more about the whole deal with the lady and what she is up to... you may, just possibly, be able to get some insight from.. Darth Malphas...

Lana
Pfft, I want the fact that I'm a female Darkie to be significant...

Lord Melkor
What about others fighting duels to get your attention, Rianna?

Ush, what I meant it is if Lady accepted the Darksiders as her followers, it could change the game dynamics completely. And if Gallador had real opportunity to study under a trully powerful Dark Master, like the ones of Lady and Sienar, it would be in character for him to betray his companions for it. Rand and Kuylen frankly failed him in this regard( well he never met Kuylen but you get what I mean, Galder once almost killed Gallador because of showing disrespect to his memories of Kuylen). His primary goal is to increase his personal power and understanding of the force before he can trully impose his will ( and wonderful ideas about how universe should work) on others. Especially that his embarassing defeat at the hands of Rogan really showed him that he is not as strong as he thought... Can a real hatred for someone bring bonus when using the Emotion Force Power, Ush?

Oh, and you shall not withold Sith knowledge from me, Ush!

Ushgarak
Yes it would change the dynamics and there are very big choices ahead for the Dark Siders. it was all a long time ago now but various Dreamd and Foresights and Manifests Destinies have a lot of clues about that. One possible outcome stopped existing when Rand stopped being leader, which goes to show the future is always in motion.

Lord Melkor
Would there be a possibility of Darksiders splitting then? Interesting....

Of course I want to know more about Darth Malphas.... Would you like my soul in exchange?

Ushgarak
Tempting!

I'll just say this- links between the Sith game and the PT game are more likely to come Dark Side than Light...

Lord Melkor
Sith game, yessss, my precioussss......

By the way, would the Sith game be about a team doing special missions, or could there be something like "Sith General" template, like in the OT for Imperials? And do you think I could play a Sith Master( akin to Jedi Master or Nemesis from PT game). I have been wondering how could I manage in Zink`s/Rand`s position in PT game.... or perhaps my online ego got better on me.

Also, what do you think of EU`s vision of ancient Sith?

Ushgarak
The templates will be broadly similar to those that already exist.

As ever, the EU is given to exaggeration.

Lana
Neat, for the templates thing...because as far as Sithy-ness goes, I was kind of thinking of going exact opposite of Rianna and going for a template that's very strong in the Force but not so much with actual combat. The equivalent of the DS Orphan template, I suppose, if there'll be one.

Lord Melkor
Well, so you have problems with Sith Lords destroying stars? big grin But even if such things didn`t happen, it makes good legends about the past.

But I was thinking more about Sith philosophy or organization. But in this case PT movies didn`t change as much as with the Jedi- where the stuff about training since infancy and celibate was pretty significant.

I found some quite interesting ideas in recent novel about Darth Bane. Basically some Sith tried to change their philosophy in order to limit the infighting( even creating an Academy like your Avalar), but the conclusion was that it weakened them and they were not true "Sith" as Darth Bane wiped them all. Hey, it really has some similarities to your games as Darth Bane was supposed to destroy Avalar, and this novel is much younger than your game. Why you are always ahead of them, Ush?

Lord Melkor
Originally posted by Lana
Neat, for the templates thing...because as far as Sithy-ness goes, I was kind of thinking of going exact opposite of Rianna and going for a template that's very strong in the Force but not so much with actual combat. The equivalent of the DS Orphan template, I suppose, if there'll be one.

Well, why not be a Jedi to try something diffrent. Even I am thinking about it, in all my Sithiness.... confused

Lana
Well, why not be a Jedi to try something diffrent. Even I am thinking about it, in all my Sithiness.... confused

I was considering it, actually. I just simply don't think I'd be able to really get into the Jedi mindset...I'd be the worst Jedi ever, probably.

I've always been more interested in the Dark Side, anyway, so yeah.

Captain REX
Heh, interesting, all this spoiler talk...

Oh, and I don't get why I didn't get the blatant hint about Argentis' actor. It's River Phoenix, who played the young Indiana Jones in the Lucasfilm series.

Tptmanno1
Well, so you have problems with Sith Lords destroying stars? big grin But even if such things didn`t happen, it makes good legends about the past.

But I was thinking more about Sith philosophy or organization. But in this case PT movies didn`t change as much as with the Jedi- where the stuff about training since infancy and celibate was pretty significant.

I found some quite interesting ideas in recent novel about Darth Bane. Basically some Sith tried to change their philosophy in order to limit the infighting( even creating an Academy like your Avalar), but the conclusion was that it weakened them and they were not true "Sith" as Darth Bane wiped them all. Hey, it really has some similarities to your games as Darth Bane was supposed to destroy Avalar, and this novel is much younger than your game. Why you are always ahead of them, Ush?
Its a grand tradition of Lucas and others reading Ush's RPs and then stealing most of thier ideas from it...

Captain REX
And I realized that Lana already said 'River Phoenix.'

However, is the movie hint for the Zeitonian Elder's actor relevant to the original Planet of the Apes at all?

Lana

Me remembering the Citadel stuff - when I was fighting in the Desert in the hallucinations, I was fighting battle droids. I'm guessing that's at least part of why no one's made it out of the Desert alive.

General Kaliero
No way could I be a Jedi... I've had enough Altruism as it is, with Rhys. I want a nice Dark Side mentality, so I can kill stuff lawlessly...

Oh, and I just realized why no one makes it out of the Desert of Stones alive. It's because there's a compound out there where people are taken and made into droids, a la the Cybermen or Grievous! Which is why Rianna's vision had her fighting droids! It all makes sense!!! eek!

Lana
That's it, I've declared that Rianna was killing Daleks laughing out loud

Captain REX
"The Daaa-leks have no concept of bitchiness!"

Ushgarak
Jedi are unattached, not celibate per se... we also always knew that 20 was too old, though some might have been surprised that 8 was too old as well.

Much EU Sith material also suffers from the fact that it was designed on presumption by authors long before GL used the term in his films.

Ushgarak
Answers to questions 2, 3, 4 and 5 coming soon...

Captain REX
For which section?

Ushgarak
Err, well, the last one.

Captain REX
Oh, yeah, that makes sense.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.