Are the mysteries of creation in Space rather than Earth?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FistOfThe North
I mean, if you're spiritual, then your creator does comes from the high heavens (space), right? Or if you're nonspiritual, the Big Bang Theory (from Space) comes to mind.

overlord
I love the big bang theory. It involves particles in the big nothing wich have always been there and they suddenly collide making an enormous blast causing all kinds of substances to exist.
Just a pity that it doesn't explain how rules of nature and space could always have existed.

I could've made up a theory like that. Just BAM!! And everything gets created!

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by overlord
I love the big bang theory. It involves particles in the big nothing wich have always been there and they suddenly collide making an enormous blast causing all kinds of substances to exist.
Just a pity that it doesn't explain how rules of nature and space could always have existed.

I could've made up a theory like that. Just BAM!! And everything gets created!

I could never really fully swallow the Big Bang Theory. I mean , how can an explosion create such detail orientated things like the mind, body, life, consciousness, will, the human brain the human body, reproduction, complex animal activity, complex plant life, complex behaviors, speech, intel.

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is, is how can all this be all a coincidence. Are you trying to say that we're the result of a coincidental spacial explosion that happened by chance multiple-billions of years ago? The answers may be in Space and I'm not ruling the B.B.T. out entirely, I just kinda find it hard to swallow.

Something else may have happened.

Gregory
Originally posted by overlord

Since the Big Bang theory states that they didn't always exist (we're talking fractions of fractions of microseconds after the big bang here, but never-the-less), I'm not sure why it should.

debbiejo
Big bang has holes in though. I feel is something much much bigger, though the big bang could of been part of it. There is just so much we don't have answers to and should keep an open mind about.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by debbiejo
I feel is something much much bigger, though the big bang could of been part of it. There is just so much we don't have answers to and should keep an open mind about.

I totally agree. After all the Big Bang Theory is just what it is after all. A theory a.k.a. an educational guess.

Gregory
It's a mistake to assume that when a scientist says something is a theory, he means the same thing you and I do; the creationists do that a lot about evolution. You might as well say that relativity and quantum mechanics are "just" theories; they are, but they're also pretty damn solid, as is the Big Bang (an educated guess would be called a hypothesis).

debbiejo
It will be really cool to see the advances in Science with those of other belief systems in the next 20 years or so.

FistOfThe North

Gregory
No, see, I know how theory is defined in normal use, but that's not how scientists use the word. The dictionary also defines "work" as "A job; employment," but when scientists use it, they mean something completely different (the product of a force over the distance the force is applied).

In fact, their usage gets a seperate entry in the dictionary:

"A set of statements or principles devised to explain a group of facts or phenomena, especially one that has been repeatedly tested or is widely accepted and can be used to make predictions about natural phenomena."

Mindship
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
I could never really fully swallow the Big Bang Theory. I mean , how can an explosion create such detail orientated things like the mind, body, life, consciousness, will, the human brain the human body, reproduction, complex animal activity, complex plant life, complex behaviors, speech, intel.

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is, is how can all this be all a coincidence. Are you trying to say that we're the result of a coincidental spacial explosion that happened by chance multiple-billions of years ago? The answers may be in Space and I'm not ruling the B.B.T. out entirely, I just kinda find it hard to swallow.

Something else may have happened.

That "something else" is perhaps covered in quantum cosmology.

Many people like to point out that all the "fine tuning" our universe has (in order for life and mind to have arisen) is just too fantastic to be coincidence. Quantum cosmology says, that would be true if ours were the only universe.

In quantum theory, a particle (eg, an electron) is said to have a wave function. This means (among other things), that the electron exists in an infinite number of states simultaneously, but because of our limited perception, we perceive only one state.

Accordingly, the universe as a whole has a wave function, which means (like with the electron) it exists in an infinite number of states, but we perceive only one. Still, this means there are an infinite number of universes, "most" of which may be dead. Sooner or later, however, you will hit upon a set of universes where life exists.

We just happen to be living in one such kind of universe. No coincidences necessary. It's simply a numbers game. Given infinity to work with, sooner or later you will get anything.

BTW, there is a difference between what a scientist calls a theory and what layfolk call a theory (especially layfolk with nonscientific agendas). Quantum theory, for example, has proven to be The most powerful theory ever developed by the human mind, the irony being, scientists don't know Why it works; it just leads to more testable hypotheses than any other theory. Quantum theory has given us a Reliable (if not valid) map of reality, so reliable that much of what we take for granted today (tv, computers, cell phones, etc etc etc) would not be possible without the testable hypotheses derived from quantum theory.

All of the above, however, does not necessarily mean there is no "God." Just to be honest and fair, we should look at simpler, testable explanations first.

Personally, I like to think the mysteries of creation are within us, all around us, and way beyond us.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.