Marvel vs DC which is the most realistic universe?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

AcousticDoc
Comic book universes are always unrealistic. They defy all sorts of physics and rules of nature. But which universe is the most realistic? My personal pick would have to be marvel just based on the heroes DC has. for instance:

Batman - How is it humanly possible to master 147 (I think that's the number) forms of martial arts, be an expert in chemistry, physics, biology, electrical engineering, weapons design, politics, business, economics, world history, psychology, botany, atrophysics, stunt driving, aircraft piloting, detective work and all the other skills that batman has? Where does he find all this time? Does he let Fox do all the world at Wayne industries? Where does he get the time to build up all his contengency plans as well!? Also, why the hell doesn't robin or nightwing wear better head protection?

At least marvel's Captain America and Daredevil have skills that are more realistically gained. Cap and DD's knowledge is basically limited to military tactics and law, not every single academic subject.

Superman - how can a man with super strength, heat vision, super speed and ice breath ever lose? How!? how come guys like Mogul can even hit superman is he's stronger and has super speed? Why doesn't superman just go all flash style with the 100 punches in one second thing on some of his villains?

Marvel's equivilanet on earth would be...hmm there is none because having a hero with all those powers is just fubar!

Flash - I've seen some of flash's speed feats, but how come he still has trouble with friggin gorillas and stuff. Fighting people like zoom would make sense that he gets his ass kicked but other non super speed villians? lol I think it's kinda corny how Jesse Wuick get her powers from saying an equation outloud too.

Marvel's quicksilver seems more plausible.

JLA - Jonn, superman, wonderwoman, flash, green lantern, batman and more? How can a team with all these super powers ever have trouble with rogues!?!? You've got 3 people there who have gone lightspeed before (and 1 who might have I dunno). They have 3 people with insane super strength and another who can create constructs that have super strength. Anyways, you guys are pretty muc familiar with them but the team is insanely powerful compared to similar marvel teams.

Ironically I like DC more than marvel. Your guys opinions?

outarddwarf
marvel also is on a more similar earth to this one. Spiderman isn't in some made up city like Gotham or Metropolis he hangs in New York and the fantastic Four have Manhattan.

Fanboy
Marvel anyone who really knows comic knows Marvel is the most realistic.

Lucid Lui
They're both as un-realistic as each other. It's just that the more un-realistic characters are the most popular in DC, while Marvel's most popular characters are toned down a bit.

But they're both still as un-realistic as eah other.

kanis
devil2 Their is somethings in the comics and films which make them seem realistic but marvel pulls it off better due to the fact like outarddwarf says about the real cities, the semi realisticness of the superheroes and they way certain people can relate to them and the situations they have to deal with. Also you don't like dc have as many superheroes as dc does in marvel who doesn't even have a main stream super hero like supes.

Fishy 500
D.C. = More scientific/realistic origins
Marvel= More realistic, and scientifically plausible smile

Swanky-Tuna
Originally posted by Fishy 500
Scientifically plausible? What? Maybe in a couple hundred years. Right now the only things that are even close are like... Cap and Ironman and in much lesser forms.

Juntai
Originally posted by Lucid Lui
They're both as un-realistic as each other. It's just that the more un-realistic characters are the most popular in DC, while Marvel's most popular characters are toned down a bit.

But they're both still as un-realistic as eah other. Yep.

spetznaz
Originally posted by Fishy 500

In a nutshell ...100% true.

Marvel:
Some may think that most of the Marvel origins are more 'scientific/realistic,' but anyone with a background in science would know what would happen is someone was bitten by a radioactive spider (actually that wouldn't happen since the spider would be dead), what would happen if a radioactive fluid got into someone's eyes (let's say Matt Murdock would be lucky to just be blind), and as for the mutants ....well, mutation is a very tricky matter. Why, if it goes well you end up with beneficial adaptations (with evolution being the best example).
However MOST mutation is harmful.
And the fraying and splitting of DNA wouldn't lead to 'organic steel skin' or the ability to fire concusive blasts from eyeballs (hmmm, and mutation or not no human being would be able to do THAT. Now, Vision from Marvel's Avengers can do that since he is an android, if they had Thor doing that ....he doesn't ....it would be ok since he is a Norse deity, and who knows what gods can or cannot do, and Superman and Martian Manhunter are aliens who may have convoluted alien physiology that lets them fire flames from their eyes .....HOWEVER a human being, no matter what happened to their DNA, is NOT going to be firing anything but tears from their eyes).
Actually the most accurate mutation is probably something along the lines of Toad and ArchAngel.
Toad in that it totally disfigures him (although in real life he would be a hapless cancer ridden mess).
And Angel in that extensive DNA mutation (read: DNA damage) could lead to weird results ....for example having 6 limbs like Angel (yes, ArchAngel has SIX LIMBS ....2 arms, 2 legs, and 2 wings! Winged mammals, eg bats, have FOUR limbs ....just like any other mammal. Even birds have FOUR limbs ....namely 2 wings and 2 legs. The only animal group with more than four limbs is the insect family ...thus a better name for Archangel should be 'winged Dragonfly' or 'feathered Cicada' and NOT Angel). Anyways, mutation would lead to some very bad results (and by the way having 6 limbs wouldn't mean 2 of the limbs being wings ....i saw the results of amphibian irradiation, and some of the frogs had more than 4 limbs ....disjointed mishapen legs on top of legs and such disgusting stuff).

Oh, and try standing in front of a gamma generator and see how quickly you would die. There is a reason why the type of radiation emitted in a nuclear blast that kills the most people BY FAR is gamma radiation (in comparison alpha and beta radiation can be stopped by clothing and shelter, but gamma will get you in your basement ....that is unless your house is made of lead walls).
Actually if you did NOT die you would be quite unlucky since gamma poisioning in the body would lead to horrific results.

DC:
The thing about DC is that most of their characters tend to be either aliens (and thus alien morphology and physiology can be given WHATEVER attributes the writer/creator deems necessary ...hence Superman and Martian Manhunter get by), mystic (hey, if Aquaman's waterhand is 'magic' then physics and logic need not apply, and this group also includes such characters as Spectre, the start-heart GreenLantern Sentinel, Zatanna etc), quasi-magic (what i call science based magics, eg the Oa powered green lanterns, Darkseid, the Flash family, and others who are not 'magic' but also not science), and then there are the earth heroes (which is where you have dudes like the Bat family, the arrow family, etc).
Actually it is people like Batman and Batgirl that I find hardest to swallow, since they are supposed to be 'human' but consistently do things humans are NOT supposed to do.

However even this was somewhat explained (or let's say DC tried to) in a Batgirl comic that had the CIA saying she was 2.6 times human strength and 4.2 times human speed.
They also said her blood chemistry was off the charts (with serotonin levels off the charts), and thus she was definitely a metahuman (others were saying she HAD to have had cybernetic implants)
However ....
There was this one scientist who said that she was totally human.....just operating always at 100% ability.
According to him: 'Humans can throw a 100mph fastball, smash concrete blocks with their heads, and run 4.2 fourties. What they CAN'T do is all of that at once. Its not so much physically impossible as it is mentally impossible ....too much to coordinate.'

Thus DC TRIES to explain how even Batgirl (who I still see as meta) can still be 'human.'

Anyways, both houses are unrealistic.
It is all comic books anyways .....there is no Superman, no amazon women who fly, no gamma irradiated green monsters, and no adamantium clawed fanboy wetdream called Logan.
However what Fishy500 said is true.

'

willRules
Ultimate marvel is the most realistic IMO. captain america for example, is enhanced with a serum comprised probably of a huge variety of artificial steriods and such. However his amazing planning, tactics and fighting skills is a result of hard training, which is incredibly realistic because his planning and fighting skills are plausable in todays world.

tiakocom
Originally posted by willRules
Ultimate marvel is the most realistic IMO. captain america for example, is enhanced with a serum comprised probably of a huge variety of artificial steriods and such. However his amazing planning, tactics and fighting skills is a result of hard training, which is incredibly realistic because his planning and fighting skills are plausable in todays world.

i second that opinion also marvel are in many ways the most realistic of the 2 DC jus have some silly characters...anyone for 147 martial art master

Juntai
Most every character has a near exact doppleganger character in the other universe. Typically Marvel does it to DC characters, but as seein with Imperiex, DC certainly isn't above it.... so it's really all relative. The main thing, as pointed out earlier, it IS the super-powered characters who are lead the charge in DC, while Marvel's fanbase seems to step from Spiderman and X Men. In the end, they are equally as unrealistic.

roughrider
Originally posted by Lucid Lui

But they're both still as un-realistic as eah other.

Generally true. Marvel designed their Universe to be more real, yet still fantastic, from the beginning. It was Stan Lee's idea on how to do superheroes differently. The first few issues of Fantastic Four showed this; no secret identities, often no costumes, more like a bickering family. Spider Man was the first teenage hero who wasn't a sidekick, and his personal life - money, girlfriends, health of his aunt - often overshadowed his crimefighting. After a couple of decades, DC started to follow Marvel's way of storytelling.

grey fox
The angel mutation is correct , since it's more of a physical mutation then the weird ass powers most of the mutants get.

I'm not sure how the toad mutation is plausible ?

Captain America's is , all you need is a extremely tactical mind and lot's of training , of course the surgical / steroid enhancements involved within the super soldier serum must have helped (although Veta ray's supposedly activated them but we can look past that)

Iron man could be realistic (Of course nowhere near his current armour) , all we need is to encase someone in a metallic battle suit (it would take quite a while to create such a thing but i believe it could be possible if quite a few genius's worked upon it at once)

This may shock a few fanboys out their but it is possible for wolverine's powers to be realistic ... well some.

The Healing factor is your basic human healing factor sped up a few hundred times , that in itself is not hard ( i'm guessing possible genetic tampering) the problem arises with , that to keep the healing factor in top condition you would have to constantly eat , as the healing factor would eat you alive fueling the constant regeneration.

The bone (sorry boy's no adamantium yet) claws could be also realistic through tampering with ones gene code (possibly crossing/adding genes from animals with similar claws) but you would have to keep the claws constantly unsheathed , as their is no feasible way to sheathe them ,and i better not get some jumped up little fanboy telling me that wolverine sheathes his claws by flexing his hand muscles because that is goddamn impossible......

Dark Urizen
Originally posted by roughrider
Generally true. Marvel designed their Universe to be more real, yet still fantastic, from the beginning. It was Stan Lee's idea on how to do superheroes differently. The first few issues of Fantastic Four showed this; no secret identities, often no costumes, more like a bickering family. Spider Man was the first teenage hero who wasn't a sidekick, and his personal life - money, girlfriends, health of his aunt - often overshadowed his crimefighting. After a couple of decades, DC started to follow Marvel's way of storytelling.

Except the origins of their heroes (DC) are often more appealing, even if they seem more "alien" to us, and DC often take advantage of this. To me, the origins of most Marvel characters are bland and not even used to full potential. The exception of course, being the Ultimate Universe, where they're actually at least trying.

They are both equally unrealistic. However, like others have mentioned, the really unrealistic characters get the spotlight in DC more so then Marvel.

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by spetznaz
In a nutshell ...100% true.

Marvel:
However MOST mutation is harmful.
And the fraying and splitting of DNA wouldn't lead to 'organic steel skin' or the ability to fire concusive blasts from eyeballs (hmmm, and mutation or not no human being would be able to do THAT. Now, Vision from Marvel's Avengers can do that since he is an android, if they had Thor doing that ....he doesn't ....it would be ok since he is a Norse deity, and who knows what gods can or cannot do, and Superman and Martian Manhunter are aliens who may have convoluted alien physiology that lets them fire flames from their eyes .....HOWEVER a human being, no matter what happened to their DNA, is NOT going to be firing anything but tears from their eyes).
Actually the most accurate mutation is probably something along the lines of Toad and ArchAngel.
Toad in that it totally disfigures him (although in real life he would be a hapless cancer ridden mess).
Oh, and try standing in front of a gamma generator and see how quickly you would die. There is a reason why the type of radiation emitted in a nuclear blast that kills the most people BY FAR is gamma radiation (in comparison alpha and beta radiation can be stopped by clothing and shelter, but gamma will get you in your basement ....that is unless your house is made of lead walls).
Actually if you did NOT die you would be quite unlucky since gamma poisioning in the body would lead to horrific results

'

Some truth in what you say there is........ however major mutation generally leads to death, 4 kinds of mutation exist, frameshift, where the DNA is shifted changing genes - result usually death if its in a major sequence. Deletion where genes are deleted, result in major sequences you lose something you need, often an enzyme or something else essential leading to.......... death.
addition where a sequence is added, result often nothing sometimes (rarely beneficial), sometimes leads to an imbalance, can lead to.................death.
Activation, this is where dormant genes are activated, this has been done artificially in Emus (I shit you not) and they grew semi reptillian tails (weird). Activation might lead to abilities, but its unlikely, for instance the Appendix could be restored so it is no longer a vestigial organ and people might be able to make use of cellulose, which we cannot digest or we could grow the tail of our ancestors. These are the most possible kinds of mutation. However we stopped needing them so..... are they beneficial.

Radiation tends to lead to "abnormal accelerated growth" (cancer) a kind of activation mutation. Not a good idea, but cancer cells are "immortal" the nearest to a healing factor humans exhibit. (weird)

DC and Marvel are both not in the real world.

Keep the faith smile

Stay Whirly rock

spetznaz
Originally posted by Sir Whirlysplat
Some truth in what you say there is........ however major mutation generally leads to death, 4 kinds of mutation exist, frameshift, where the DNA is shifted changing genes - result usually death if its in a major sequence. Deletion where genes are deleted, result in major sequences you lose something you need, often an enzyme or something else essential leading to.......... death.
addition where a sequence is added, result often nothing sometimes (rarely beneficial), sometimes leads to an imbalance, can lead to.................death.
Activation, this is where dormant genes are activated, this has been done artificially in Emus (I shit you not) and they grew semi reptillian tails (weird). Activation might lead to abilities, but its unlikely, for instance the Appendix could be restored so it is no longer a vestigial organ and people might be able to make use of cellulose, which we cannot digest or we could grow the tail of our ancestors. These are the most possible kinds of mutation. However we stopped needing them so..... are they beneficial.

Radiation tends to lead to "abnormal accelerated growth" (cancer) a kind of activation mutation. Not a good idea, but cancer cells are "immortal" the nearest to a healing factor humans exhibit. (weird)

DC and Marvel are both not in the real world.

Keep the faith smile

Stay Whirly rock

Yup.
Couldn't have put it better.

juggy#1
marvel is more realistic. batman gotham city. superman metropolis. they cant use real cities in dc

spetznaz
Originally posted by grey fox
The angel mutation is correct , since it's more of a physical mutation then the weird ass powers most of the mutants get.

I'm not sure how the toad mutation is plausible ?

Captain America's is , all you need is a extremely tactical mind and lot's of training , of course the surgical / steroid enhancements involved within the super soldier serum must have helped (although Veta ray's supposedly activated them but we can look past that)

Iron man could be realistic (Of course nowhere near his current armour) , all we need is to encase someone in a metallic battle suit (it would take quite a while to create such a thing but i believe it could be possible if quite a few genius's worked upon it at once)

This may shock a few fanboys out their but it is possible for wolverine's powers to be realistic ... well some.

The Healing factor is your basic human healing factor sped up a few hundred times , that in itself is not hard ( i'm guessing possible genetic tampering) the problem arises with , that to keep the healing factor in top condition you would have to constantly eat , as the healing factor would eat you alive fueling the constant regeneration.

The bone (sorry boy's no adamantium yet) claws could be also realistic through tampering with ones gene code (possibly crossing/adding genes from animals with similar claws) but you would have to keep the claws constantly unsheathed , as their is no feasible way to sheathe them ,and i better not get some jumped up little fanboy telling me that wolverine sheathes his claws by flexing his hand muscles because that is goddamn impossible......

1) For the Angel mutation we are agreement. For Toad I meant that a mutation in the real world would lead to a grotesque creature that actually looked far worse than Toad did. However we are in agreement.

2) Captain America. Well, I prefer the Ultimate version (when it comes to tacit realism) over the normal (616) version. however both versions stretch what is possible .....taking an elixir/concoction of highly potent steroids (let's assume steroids and not some 'super serum') would certainly push the human body to its peak (especially if you are in good physical condition anyways, whcih is why athletes that are juiced up outrun/outlift/outperform their peers). The only problem is that a concoction powerful enough to create a Captain America would have him in hospital within a couple of weeks. Normal powerful steroids would take years to do what a steroid mix in the level of what Captain America would have to use would do in weeks.
He would literally be messing himself up at a frenetic pace.

The only way I can think of that someone could be made 'Captain America-ish' is by somehow substituting his normal skeletal muscles (the muscles that enable us to lift and all that stuff) with cardiac muscle (the muscle in your heart, which never gets tired since it has to keep the heart pumping 24/7). The only problem is that cardiac muscle is not good for lifting (not as strong for such tasks as skeletal muscle is, which is why all our muscles are not cardiac muscles).

Another thing is to have the actin-myosin setup in the muslces similar to that found in Chimpanzees.
A 120 pound Chimp has the strength of around 7-8 grown men, thus their musculature is quite interesting. And the good thing is we share around 97-98% of our genetic structure with chimps.
However that 2-3% difference is IMMENSE, and currently that is not possible. However IF it was you could have someone that was the equivalent of 8 men, in essence 'super human.'
Use a gorilla instead of a chimp and suddenly your strength levels go up even higher (some scientists estimate a gorilla is 15 times stronger than a human, while others put the estimate at 27 times .....yeah, you read that right. However unlike the Chimpanzee figures, whcih are proven, gorilla figures are primarily estimates)

3) Iron Man. Totally agree with you. This is one of the areas that are quite plausible, HOWEVER (as you correctly said) not to the level shown in comics.
For instance as I write this there are developments in exo-skeletal armor. An organization called DARpa (which is a government body of the US govt. that strives to invent weaponry and equipment for the NEXT war, and thus come up with far-fangled concepts) is coming up with an exo-skeleton that enables a soldier to lift and carry many times his own weight.
Now, this will never get anywhere near an IronMan suit, but there will probably be analogues.

4) The only disagreement I have with you is one the healing factor and Wolverine.
For one a healing factor that is that fast would mean one thing ....cancer. Run amok.
As for Wolverine and his claws .....well, no amount of gene splicing could lead to his claws. In fact there are no animals in the entire world with claws like his ......infact they are not 'claws' in any real sense.
They are actually 6 protusions (3 on each hand) that start from his forearms and can be sheathed and unsheathed (and are a couple of feet in length).
Thus there are no 'animals with similar claws' that can be used as a genetic blueprint.

The Ion
Originally posted by juggy#1
marvel is more realistic. batman gotham city. superman metropolis. they cant use real cities in dc
They have all the real cities in their world. They also have made up ones just like Marvel unless I missed the section in my high school geography class where they discussed the great nation of Latveria...

juggy#1
Originally posted by The Ion
They have all the real cities in their world. They also have made up ones just like Marvel unless I missed the section in my high school geography class where they discussed the great nation of Latveria... hahaha highschool geography class. did u get an A on your DC universe quiz ? laughing laughing

The Ion
confused

juggy#1
confused well dont be so hard on yourself if u didnt get a good grade on it.

The Ion
WTF are you talking about?

soujaboy09
Marvel is not more realistic, well the Ultimate Universe is, but the fact that Thor lifted a snake that raped around the world a couple times is just crazy no way in hell should he ever lose a fight.

marvelprince
While i think we all agree that both are unrealistic, they are comic books. I say that Marvel is the more realistic. From the get go Marvel was more down to Earth, portraying superheroes are as normal people with normal problems.

And the powers of their characters aren't so over the top. It was stated eariler, im too lazy to find where, that Superman and Martian Manhunter are acceptable to them because they are aliens and have alien physiology. Well in that case wouldn't the fact that they are aliens be a little bit of a stretch. Feats like Superman and Wonderwoman lifting up things like huge oil tankers or when they moved the moon are physical immpossibilities not because no one can be that strong, but because physics prevents them. Or when Wonderwoman uses her lasso to catch someone from falling. What happened to inertia? I remember a time where Spider-Man was wondering if the Green Goblin had killed Gwen before trying her off the bridge, or if it was from the web that he used to stop her. Did he stop her to abruptly and the momentum caused her neck to snap? The laws of physics applied in Marvel back then.

DC, and i applaud them for this, have been taking steps to explain some the feats that their heroes do. Why can't no one recognize Superman is Clark since he only wears glasses? Since they percieve them differently. he has some 'psychic' powers. Why doesn't his costume or things he is holding burn up in the atmosphere? Cause he has a bio-aura around him. DC is making their universe more realistic but the point still stands that Marvel was that way from the begininng.

And you can't just say that Marvel is seen as more realistic because their most popular characters aren't the most powerful. DC waaaay outnumbers Marvel in respect to outrageously powerful characters. The entire Superman family, the Captain Marvel family, and most infuriating to me the Batman family. Batman realistically speaking, shouldn't be don't some of the things he does; like taking punches from Metallo and Darkseid.

Psycho Ninja
Marvel more realiitic ??? Are you feckin me ??

HOW COULD SOMEONE WHO DRUNK A SERUM TURN INTO A MILLION-EXPLODING-SUNS POWERED DUDE !!!!???

Swanky-Tuna
Originally posted by Psycho Ninja

HOW COULD SOMEONE WHO DRUNK A SERUM TURN INTO A MILLION-EXPLODING-SUNS POWERED DUDE !!!!???
Both companies have extremes like that.

xmarksthespot
Originally posted by spetznaz
As for Wolverine and his claws .....well, no amount of gene splicing could lead to his claws. In fact there are no animals in the entire world with claws like his ......infact they are not 'claws' in any real sense.
They are actually 6 protusions (3 on each hand) that start from his forearms and can be sheathed and unsheathed (and are a couple of feet in length).
Thus there are no 'animals with similar claws' that can be used as a genetic blueprint. Additional digits = polydactyly. Closest thing to Wolverine's condition that I can think of...
http://www.doctor33.it/eular_images//clinical/0001NACA.jpg
WTF are you talking about? So you don't speak imbecile either?

Sixth_Winged
Batman survived a Superman manipulated into thinking he killed Lois

...........i say marvel.

spetznaz
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
Additional digits = polydactyly. Closest thing to Wolverine's condition that I can think of...
http://www.doctor33.it/eular_images//clinical/0001NACA.jpg
So you don't speak imbecile either?

Truly grotesque (you should see this condition in amphibians that are ridden with mutation due to enviromental pollution (mutagens from some factory in Germany .....now that is insane).
However Wolverine's set of 'claws' (for lack of a better term) is really not polydactyly.
His 'claws' are not extra digits but actually something totally new. For one they are not part of his tarsals but actually stem from his high forearm, thus they have nothing at all to do with his hands (apart from the front end of the 'claws' coming out near his knuckles).
Actually something that always makes me laugh about Wolvie is how he manages to bend his wrists during fights.
After all, his 'claws' start from his forearm, and they are straight, and they are bonded/laced with Adamantium. Wolverine should NEVER be able to bend his wrists, whether or not his claws are sheathed or not.
Thus he should be VERY limited when it came to anything that required ANY form of dexterity .....anything.
Try writing, or typing, or ANYTHING with a stiff wrist (and make sure your wrists are really stiff).

Thus, one could say that Marvel tacitly claims that Wolverine bends Adamantium everytime he does anything that requires a bended wrist.

LOL.

No wonder Wolverine fanboys think Wolvie's 'pawa' (power for everyone who is not a Wolvie fanboy) is above all.

Wolverine's 'pawa' is umbeatable.
May his eminence be benevolent and merciful.
All hail the clawed one.

Sixth_Winged
Originally posted by Psycho Ninja

Like the guy who got bonded with the speedforce from getting hit with lightning near some chemicals.

grey fox
To continue with what io was sayign earlier on.....

Beasts mutation could possibly be realistic , it's roots take form in man becoming a more bestial form . No blue fur though , thats unatural. But a possible cat/ape infusion of dna may do it.

Strange would be possible , if magic was real of course.

Ant man's may be , we'd need to concoct some sort of shrink/growth formula , and instead of a helmet he would need a chemical spray to communicate with the ants.

Swanky-Tuna
Originally posted by Sixth_Winged
Like the guy who got bonded with the speedforce from getting hit with lightning near some chemicals.
I think that lightning ended up being Wally as pure energy. Wally gave himself the speedforce from the future! PARADOXED!

Sixth_Winged
Originally posted by Swanky-Tuna
I think that lightning ended up being Wally as pure energy. Wally gave himself the speedforce from the future! PARADOXED!

Wasn't that barry?

Swanky-Tuna
Originally posted by Sixth_Winged
Wasn't that barry?
Probably.

Laminator_X
I wouldn't say either was "realistic" per say, but I would say that they are different in what level of contrivance they will regularly accept.

DC's characters are often so superlative that nothing is really beyond them, yet they somehow get challenged. Really, among their high-powered characters it's only via plot-device that most battles last more than one page. They are also omni-competant very often, as in "and he's also a total genius." Where I do give DC credit is that their wold is quite clearly affected by the presence of the heroes and villains, i.e. Luthor taking over the USA for example.

Marvel's characters generally require less suspension of disbeleif to follow their day-to-day adventures, but the lack of impact they have upon the world in some ways is a larger contrivance than any of D.C's

xmarksthespot
Originally posted by grey fox
To continue with what io was sayign earlier on.....

Beasts mutation could possibly be realistic , it's roots take form in man becoming a more bestial form . No blue fur though , thats unatural. But a possible cat/ape infusion of dna may do it.

Strange would be possible , if magic was real of course.

Ant man's may be , we'd need to concoct some sort of shrink/growth formula , and instead of a helmet he would need a chemical spray to communicate with the ants. Sorry, grey fox, but starting a paragraph about things being realistic and ending it with the phrase "cat/ape infusion of dna may do it" seems a bit incongruous.

Spetznaz, I realize Wolverine's claws aren't additional digits, however the closest thing in the real world to them I can think of is still polydactyly.

DarkCrawler
Marvel. They have the Ultimate Universe. It quite realistic.

cheap cabbage
Marvel and DC came of age at different times. DC came around in the fifties where everyone was Mr. and Mrs. perfect living in suburbia surrounded by white picket fences. Its natural that such an optimistic time wouldn't relate to a modern standpoint. Marvel is simply younger and more cynical, which is why most people in this day and age would pobably fiind it to be more believable. But then again, the Big planet destroying ubervillan of Marvel is a guy wearing a Pink helmet and a dress...apples and oranges.

DarkCrawler
Originally posted by cheap cabbage
Marvel and DC came of age at different times. DC came around in the fifties where everyone was Mr. and Mrs. perfect living in suburbia surrounded by white picket fences. Its natural that such an optimistic time wouldn't relate to a modern standpoint. Marvel is simply younger and more cynical, which is why most people in this day and age would pobably fiind it to be more believable. But then again, the Big planet destroying ubervillan of Marvel is a guy wearing a Pink helmet and a dress...apples and oranges.

DC comics was founded on 1934 (Name was not DC Comics then).

Marvel Comics was founded on 1939 (Name was not Marvel Comics then).

Not that much of a difference.

BobbyD
IMO, Marvel is more realistic. However, I find DC so much more appealing.

Outside of a handful of interesting characters (Doom, Thor, Spidey, Cap'n, and few others) Marvel would be a snoozer.

cheap cabbage
Originally posted by DarkCrawler
DC comics was founded on 1934 (Name was not DC Comics then).

Marvel Comics was founded on 1939 (Name was not Marvel Comics then).

Not that much of a difference.

Yes, the founding a company and becoming mainstream are different things. The majority of Stan Lee's characters as we know them came about after DC

Tron
I'd say Marvel's more realistic, only because of the personalities and thinking of the general public. From the beginning the majority of the world has never fully trusted and has feared any superpowered beings, and had taken steps to deal with them, which is very a very realistic view of how it would be. Although, DC is doing a very good job of doing that now.

grey fox
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
Sorry, grey fox, but starting a paragraph about things being realistic and ending it with the phrase "cat/ape infusion of dna may do it" seems a bit incongruous.

Possibly , but were talking on a possible set of realism , who knows in 50 years splicing may be possible. What were pointing out though is things which are improbable and impossible because they break the laws of physic's (Eg Cyclops's powers will never happen , no mutation would make that possible , wheras angels could happen if nurtured correctly)

golem370
Outside people like Superman,Batman,and a few others there would not be a DC comics though

Fishy 500
Originally posted by golem370
Outside people like Superman,Batman,and a few others there would not be a DC comics though

Ummm no !!!!!!!

Go back to making threads ! smile

The Ion
Originally posted by Tron
I'd say Marvel's more realistic, only because of the personalities and thinking of the general public. From the beginning the majority of the world has never fully trusted and has feared any superpowered beings, and had taken steps to deal with them, which is very a very realistic view of how it would be. Although, DC is doing a very good job of doing that now.
That really happened with mutants though. I always found it unrealistic how the general public hates and fears the X-Men but absolutely adore the Fantastic Four.

Outside Spider-Man, Wolverine and a few others there would be no Marvel either.

Lord Magnus
Originally posted by BobbyD
IMO, Marvel is more realistic. However, I find DC so much more appealing.

Outside of a handful of interesting characters (Doom, Thor, Spidey, Cap'n, and few others) Marvel would be a snoozer.

I challenge you to a duel! And Marvel easily.

spetznaz

Erm ....no!

Also there was a time Marvel would have gone bankrupt were it not for Wolverine, Spiderman and a couple others?

BobbyD
boxing

Lord Magnus, put 'em up!

stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.