All in All who is the better Super Hero Superman or Captain Marvel aka Shazam

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

golem370
An Interseting question I think.

snoopdogg
Superman is above Captain Marvel in strength, speed, powerset, and I think Supes has a slight edge in durability also.

But on the flip side Captain Marvel does not have any weaknesses.

golem370
Plus he also was able to fight Spectre for a little while right?

Professor N
Superman is the greater superhero. Though i do think he is slightly more vulnerable than cap marvel, he s superior in strength and speed.

golem370
But doesn't Captain Marvel have Magic powers?

snoopdogg
Originally posted by golem370
But doesn't Captain Marvel have Magic powers? Not really. Just magical lightning which is not used directly as a weapon.

His powers are magic based.

((The_Anomaly))
Ditto. Superman is superior to Capt. Marvel for sure.

Save for the Weakness.

The Ion
Hmmm. I very much doubt Supes is stronger than current CM.

golem370
Does Captain Marvel still have the kids mind while in is transformed state.

ZephroCarnelian
He has Billy's mind but he has the Wisdom of Solomon - so even though he's innocent and is totally shocked by any evil acts, he's got wisdom when it comes to making decisions.

Mindship
Interesting. Solomon was wise because he was not innocent. One becomes wise through lose of innocence, ie, life experience.
An interesting juxtaposition of opposites. Kinda like getting fatter by shedding pounds.

DarkCrawler
I don't think he is anywhere close to innocent. No 16 year old who has seen all that he has is innocent anymore. His parents were killed, and he was forced to fight alongside their killer. He has fought with JSA against all kinds of enemies, and seen people die. Not to mention recent events in IC (Anyone saw him in Gotham Central? How come everybody who feature in that series turn cool?). He is good-hearted. Noble. But innocent? Not anymore.

I like Captain Marvel more then Superman anyway. If anyone wants to read good Captain Marvel comic, read Kingdom Come.

roughrider
A question with multiple answers. Who do I like better? Who is a better hero for the public? Who has the better method for helping society? Does one of them have better goals in their approach?

The best way to examine these two side by side, would be reading the two super-sized Alex Ross graphic novels - Superman:Peace On Earth, and Shazam:Power Of Hope. Superman has the bigger agenda, in trying to steer worlds events for the benefit of mankind, but the question is always of him doing too much, and maybe holding humanity back. I believe it was Draco 69 who observed Superman may suffer from obsessive perfectionism. Captain Marvel has the smaller view - in personality, he's like Spider Man with Superman-like powers, with his charisma among common people, small children in particular. He's jovial, where Superman is a more serious straight arrow. Of course, he's still a kid in a grown-ups body; and his innocence is always tasked despite his gift of wisdom.

Alike yet different. I will say Captain Marvel because he has a more dynamic costume, and no significant weakness - though that gag over Billy's mouth in the past, preventing him from saying SHAZAM, shouldn't work. I think even a muffled whisper would be enough for magic.

BobbyD
They're both great. One is an icon-the other is just a good superhero.

Fanboy
Superman has done so much more heroic things then Captain Marvel he is way better.

BetaRayBill
Originally posted by The Ion
Hmmm. I very much doubt Supes is stronger than current CM.

How strong is current CM?

DarkCrawler
I think that they are equal in terms of heroing.

But I like Captain Marvel more:
http://img472.imageshack.us/img472/4802/cptmarvel12tj.gif
http://img472.imageshack.us/img472/4682/cptmarvel28rj.gif

Hey Ion, you going to make that Shazam respect thread soon?

The Ion
Originally posted by DarkCrawler
I think that they are equal in terms of heroing.

But I like Captain Marvel more:
http://img472.imageshack.us/img472/4802/cptmarvel12tj.gif
http://img472.imageshack.us/img472/4682/cptmarvel28rj.gif

Hey Ion, you going to make that Shazam respect thread soon?
Probably this weekend. Still need a few more scans. smile

snoopdogg
If you need any scans let me know.

I have the whole Power of Shazam run that ran from 95-99.

FistOfThe North
Superman without a reasonable doubt.

Capt. Ripoff was made because of Superman.

Capt. Ripoff is a Superman clone and whoever picked Capt. Ripoff isn't very knowledgeable or completely ignorant to the fact the Superman is the better Superhero by 10 times.

Capt. Ripoff is a Mortal from earth. Superman is an immortal planetary and galactic Superhero. nuff said..

roughrider
"Capt. Ripoff" outsold Superman, and was the best-selling book in the USA for ten years in the 1940's, before Superman's publishers closed him down - a move that wouldn't happen today.

Don't show your ignorance for another person's choice of preference by making insults. Both characters have their place. It just took DC a LONG time to start moving Captain Marvel to the forefront, post-crisis.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by roughrider
"Capt. Ripoff" outsold Superman, and was the best-selling book in the USA for ten years in the 1940's, before Superman's publishers closed him down - a move that wouldn't happen today.

You're right, it won't happen today thanks to copyright infringement.

Capt. Ripoff owes monetary reparations to the Man of Steel but it won't happen.

Too bad.

roughrider
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
You're right, it won't happen today thanks to copyright infringement.

Capt. Ripoff owes monetary reparations to the Man of Steel but it won't happen.

Too bad.

Look at all the characters much closer to being Superman clones than Marvel - Gladiator, Supreme, Sentry, to name a few. They haven't had their publishing house closed, or been sued in court. Times are different.
It would actually be nice to have Shazam at Marvel - he'd get a better shake.

NoFate007
Superman is better, he's done more, is more respectable, and blah blah blah. Plus he's also cooler...I mean, Superman acts like a total *** way too much, but I just hate the idea of a kid becoming a superhero like that, and I'm not a fan of magic, and then on top of that, look at Marvel's costume...lol. Kal-El is a lot cooler than Billy in a lot of ways, and has had more popularity (and thusly, more amazing and heroic feats), and therefore wins lol.

kenobi
Superman is not stronger than Capt. Marvel. Whoever thinks that does not know their comics. Capt. Marvel has always been written to stand toe-to-toe with Superman on equal footing.

MattDay
capt marvel does stand toe to toe with superman, but his strength dwindles and supermans gets stronger, thats the difference, hence why the man of steel beats CM if he stays in close quarters with SM.

soleran30
actually SM has said he doesn't like to go toe to toe with Cap due to his magic doh I cannot remember the comic but uts batman and sm vs hawkman and cap

ZephroCarnelian
Captain Marvel is a fantastic hero.

He's noble, powerful and good-hearted, full of kind words and deeds.

He's also the only DC Superhero who can physical match Superman pound for pound in terms of pure physical prowess.

He's roughly as fast as Supes. Roughly as strong. Roughly as durable.

But despite Marvel being such an awesome hero and despite him being so very powerful, Superman is something that Captain Marvel still is not.

A legend.

kenobi
Just about every time that Cap. Marvel and Superman fight, Cap is knocking Superman out. Nuff said. big grin

olympian
"Capt. Ripoff was made because of Superman.

Capt. Ripoff is a Superman clone and whoever picked Capt. Ripoff isn't very knowledgeable or completely ignorant to the fact the Superman is the better Superhero by 10 times.

Capt. Ripoff is a Mortal from earth. Superman is an immortal planetary and galactic Superhero. nuff said"

Its the same as saying Superman is a Doc Savage/Hercules rip off.

Oh wait....

This question will never be answered due to the fact they are always show and always will be as rougly equals.

I personally like Marvel more. Has that fantasy part going for him.

Glimmerone
What ZephroCarnelian said concerning their stats is true. They are matched well in different ways concerning their powers. They both have everlasting power sources. I think it was said somewhere that as captain marvel/billy grows in age/time having power and experience with the power of shazam, that one day he would no longer need the wizard to become captain marvel and that he doesn't fully tap into the power of shazam due to lack of maturity with it. Superman and captain marvel are virtually immortal, captain marvel doesn't age and superman won't age due to solar power which fills his cells and fuels his bio-matrix/kryptonian physiology. The more sun light supes absorbs, the more constant his power and life attributes become and he will stop aging and it will be very difficult for him to lose power when away from a yellow star or if someone tries to absorb his power. Also, captain marvel has powers that many people are unaware of, most people think that he's just superman level in strength, speed, and invulnerability. However, he has the ability to see through illusions and sense magical entities/disturbances cause by use of magic/magic beings and a few other powers due to the power of shazam.

brainchild81
Originally posted by roughrider

Don't show your ignorance for another person's choice of preference by making insults. Both characters have their place. It just took DC a LONG time to start moving Captain Marvel to the forefront, post-crisis. Sad stuff. Supes can fly instead of just leaping tall buildings because of Cap'n Marvel. CM's better than Supes(all the "superman ripoffs" are). Only reason Supes is more famous is because DC put CM on the backburner so he wouldn't continue to outshine Supes. You know you suck when your imitators appear and become more popular than you are.

Femi32
Originally posted by brainchild81
CM's better than Supes(all the "superman ripoffs" are).

I disagree. And wasn't Namor the first one to fly.

brainchild81
Yep, but Supes didn't start until after C.M., who was more popular @ the time. You know you suck when you have to imitate your imitatorssmile

Femi32
I know you don't like Supes, but what are your reasons for not liking him?

brainchild81
Lame costume. No personality. Too many powers @ too high of a degree. The "glasses" thing. Actually getting even more powerful. Given preference over characters that should logically hand him is @$$ merely because he's an icon. Just some of these problems'd have been bad. All of them in one is horrible.

The Ion
CM's better than Supes(all the "superman ripoffs" are).
Someone hasn't read Liefeld's Supreme...

Femi32
Lame costume. No personality. Too many powers @ too high of a degree. The "glasses" thing. Actually getting even more powerful. Given preference over characters that should logically hand him is @$$ merely because he's an icon. Just some of these problems'd have been bad. All of them in one is horrible.

His costume isn't that bad. He could use a new one.

No personality? Most will disagree. Have you made an attempt to read his comics? If he had no personality, he wouldn't be selling comics.

Too many powers? Silver Surfer has too many powers. He's the most over powered character, ever, but he fights people more powerful than him, so it's okay.

Glasses? They're just glasses.

Getting more powerful? I don't think he should get more powerful, but he's still not over powered in the DC universe.

Preference over characters? He's been defeated before. Every character has a jobber aura. Look at Wolverine. He shouldn't last long against the Hulk. Even Spider-man made a fool out of the Hulk.

Femi32
Someone hasn't read Liefeld's Supreme...

What about Supreme?

omaga
superman everytime!

The Ion
Originally posted by Femi32
What about Supreme?
It's a completely awful comic.

omaga
It's a completely awful comic.

u dont no what ur on about its the best comic ever! prove me otherwise please?????????????????

The Ion
What did the first part of that post say? I don't really speak Internet gibberish.

brainchild81
Someone hasn't read Liefeld's Supreme... You're right. I officially change my statement. All the Superman ripoffs I've read are better than Supes

brainchild81
His costume isn't that bad. He could use a new one.

No personality? Most will disagree. Have you made an attempt to read his comics? If he had no personality, he wouldn't be selling comics.

Too many powers? Silver Surfer has too many powers. He's the most over powered character, ever, but he fights people more powerful than him, so it's okay.

Glasses? They're just glasses.

Getting more powerful? I don't think he should get more powerful, but he's still not over powered in the DC universe.

Preference over characters? He's been defeated before. Every character has a jobber aura. Look at Wolverine. He shouldn't last long against the Hulk. Even Spider-man made a fool out of the Hulk. Whenever someone can mentally overpower J'onn easieer than they can Supes, something ain't right. You're right, they are just glasses. They shouldn't fool anybody. It makes DC earth seem like it's full of retards. Plain & simple. I have read books featuring him. I'm not the type of guy to diss something without knowing enough about it 1st. His personality bores me, many will agree on that too. I gave Smallville a chance, it turned out to be a great show. That coustume you altered was kick a$$ the way it was. Supes doesn't have to wear red & blue. If surfer fights people who're more powerful than he is, he's not overpowered. I'm not his biggest fan, but he looks cooler than Supes. He gets a lot of hate 'cause he'd beat the crap out of Supes

soleran30
Shazam is a much better hero instead of coming up with inherently new powers .............soul vision etc he comes up with more inventive ways to overcome his daversaries aka swisdom!

Femi32
You're right about the Despero event, but Superman is not immune to telepathy. He was controlled by Maxwell Lord after researching Supes mind for 12 years. WW had to kill Max to free Supes from his tp.

Glasses shouldn't fool anybody, but it's a comic. The FF is liked by the MU, but they hate mutants. What the f**k?

You gave him a chance and you don't like him. At least you gave him a chance. Smallville is a great show. They need to bring Flash back again.

That's Eradicator's costume. I don't know about black or any other colors, but red and blue are fine.

I don't think people hate SS as much as people hate SM here.

snoopdogg
The one thing I don't like about Captain Marvel is they made him uber powerful like Superman but did not give him any weaknesses.

That makes for boring stories. That's why Silver Surfer cannot sustain a ongoing series. The guy is uber powerful but yet he has no weaknesses.

And yea Supes has way more haters than Norrin Radd does on here.

The Ion
If surfer fights people who're more powerful than he is, he's not overpowered. I'm not his biggest fan, but he looks cooler than Supes. He gets a lot of hate 'cause he'd beat the crap out of Supes
Superman fights a lot of people more powerful than him like Doomsday, Queen of Fables, Dominus, etc. It's just that they all end up jobbing. I see what you're saying though.

Personally I like Superman in his special one shot books like All Star Superman or Superman For All Seasons. It's just when he teams up with others heros and makes them look like total idiots that I get bothered. Supes beating the entire JLA in a few minutes flat and taking little to no damage is just something that shouldn't happen, period.
Glasses shouldn't fool anybody, but it's a comic. The FF is liked by the MU, but they hate mutants. What the f**k?

Yeah, I was thinking about that the other day. Everyone despising mutants but throwing parades for the FF and Avengers. laughing out loud

brainchild81
Superman fights a lot of people more powerful than him like Doomsday, Queen of Fables, Dominus, etc. It's just that they all end up jobbing. I see what you're saying though.

Personally I like Superman in his special one shot books like All Star Superman or Superman For All Seasons. It's just when he teams up with others heros and makes them look like total idiots that I get bothered. Supes beating the entire JLA in a few minutes flat and taking little to no damage is just something that shouldn't happen, period.

Yeah, I was thinking about that the other day. Everyone despising mutants but throwing parades for the FF and Avengers. laughing out loud The FF are super-powered humans, not damn dirty mutants.Originally posted by Femi32
That's Eradicator's costume. I don't know about black or any other colors, but red and blue are fine.
Yeah. I know. Supes should wear the same one he did. It looks tougher than red & blue. Or he could wear what his father wore on SupesTAS

Femi32
The FF and Avengers have superpowers. I guess that makes them mutants, too, even though they really aren't. It still doesn't make sense.

Did you like the animated series?

MattDay

Yeah, I was thinking about that the other day. Everyone despising mutants but throwing parades for the FF and Avengers. laughing out loud

Doomsday is more an equal, you are a hater.
jobbing is bullshit, made by the fanboys to try to justify there idiotic view.
He can beat the JLA like that if he wants to, i.e. WANTS! supes is more powerful than one assumes. pre crisis apparantly is the same as the one now, he is just holding back. But i hear that he will return to using his potential very soon... trying not to give much away. duh!

SupezM'
In a fight? Id give it to Superman... Superman is always Supes, even when he's playing the mild mannered Clark Kent. When CM is his alter ego he's just another human being, easily broken.

Cant exactly change into his super powered self when his larynx is broken can he?

As for herosim, hard to pit the two against eachother in that situation, both are great heroes. Superman is definately more widley adored and noticed. His symbol is one of the most recognized in the world, if im not mistaken only beaten by the Cross and the McDonald's symbol.

snoopdogg
Captain Marvel actually never gets jobbed when he goes up againt Supes. Him and Supes are usually portrayed at close equals.

Validus
Originally posted by MattDay
Doomsday is more an equal, you are a hater.
jobbing is bullshit, made by the fanboys to try to justify there idiotic view.
He can beat the JLA like that if he wants to, i.e. WANTS! supes is more powerful than one assumes. pre crisis apparantly is the same as the one now, he is just holding back. But i hear that he will return to using his potential very soon... trying not to give much away. duh!
Yeah, I'm such a hater I buy every Supes comic to hit the stands. The hate is strong with me. He's back to maybe his 1980's power level though. The 60's Superman still craps all over any current "top tier".

Doomsday's last appearance in Gog Wars showed a guy who was far beyond Supes. Which of them got imprisoned for 100 years again? roll eyes (sarcastic)

SupezM'
Doomsday was cool in the Gog wars. wink

I think Superman was imprisoned cause he just didnt care anymore.

That and Magog had time travel down. Thats what you call hax!

SupezM'
Originally posted by snoopdogg
Captain Marvel actually never gets jobbed when he goes up againt Supes. Him and Supes are usually portrayed at close equals.

Justice League Unlimited, Season 4, Show 7.

Superman and Captain Marvel duke it out. No one's brain washed or weak, full on 1v1.

Superman wipes the floor with him. CM starts using Lightning and getting the best of Supes, but Superman grabs him just when a bolt is about to hit. It hits CM and transforms him back into the boy, then supes holds his mouth shut so he cant transform back.

Prior to that Superman was tearing him a new one.

Hit and Run
The one thing I don't like about Captain Marvel is they made him uber powerful like Superman but did not give him any weaknesses.

That makes for boring stories. That's why Silver Surfer cannot sustain a ongoing series. The guy is uber powerful but yet he has no weaknesses.

And yea Supes has way more haters than Norrin Radd does on here.
Actually, according to Draco in the Shazam vs Thor thread, Captain Marvel does have a weakness (and an easily exploitable one at that).

His weakness is... ELECTRICITY! That's right, a certain amount of electricity can change Marvel back into Billy Batson.

The link to the thread is right here:
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=389446&highlight=Thor+Shazam

SupezM'
Yea, thats why when Superman made Marvel him himself with one of his own shocks it turned him back into Billy.

Mindship
Superman.
When a kid ties a towel around his neck and runs with his arms out, who you think he's pretending to be?
Ever hear another hero exclaim, "This looks like a job for Marvel!"
When you order at McDonalds, you dont say, "Marvelsize" me, do ya?

snoopdogg
Originally posted by SupezM'
Yea, thats why when Superman made Marvel him himself with one of his own shocks it turned him back into Billy. I don't think you udnerstand. When he says Shazam the lightning strikes him. He can use it as a weapon like he did in the cartoon but if his own magical lightning hits him he turns back.

Basically in the cartoon Billys plan backfired.

Validus

Superman and Captain Marvel duke it out. No one's brain washed or weak, full on 1v1.

Superman wipes the floor with him. CM starts using Lightning and getting the best of Supes, but Superman grabs him just when a bolt is about to hit. It hits CM and transforms him back into the boy, then supes holds his mouth shut so he cant transform back.

Well they did give the excuse that Cap was a rookie but yeah, Supes whooped his ass.

Femi32

That episode probably inspired roughrider's antics in the Superman respect thread. I can't blame him. cool

He's supposed to have the strength of Hercules and Wonder Woman is stronger than Hercules. When he arm wrestled Supes, CM asked Supes if he can handle the strength of Herc and Atlas. Since it's been said that he has a portion of the god's abilities, it can be said that without channeling his strength, he's not truly stronger than Supes. When he does channel their collective strength, he equals Supes.

Femi32
Originally posted by Validus
Yeah, I'm such a hater I buy every Supes comic to hit the stands. The hate is strong with me. He's back to maybe his 1980's power level though. The 60's Superman still craps all over any current "top tier".

Doomsday's last appearance in Gog Wars showed a guy who was far beyond Supes. Which of them got imprisoned for 100 years again? roll eyes (sarcastic)

What are you, stupid? Are you retarded or something? He's a goddamn fanboy! batman stick out tongue

No offense MattDay. It's just a joke. stick out tongue

ZephroCarnelian
In terms of physical prowess, whether Marvel is a match for Supes depends on the situation.

If a nuke were to hit each of them, then Supes would withstand it slightly easier. However - if they were to punch eachother, because of Marvel's inherent magical power, they'd be equal in their durability.

If Supes and Marvel were to benchpress a planet, I think Supes'd find it slightly easier. However - if they were to arm-wrestle, they'd be roughly equal due to Marvel's inherent magical nature.

It's all about the magic, that's why Marvel is roughly equal to Supes in a fight, yet doesn't usually have the mega-feats that Supes does.

Both characters are incredible though.

Femi32
Originally posted by ZephroCarnelian
Both characters are incredible though.

thumb up

redcaped
Alright to be honest with this guy...never seen him before as comics or tv series but I know he could never be as strong as Superman.

brainchild81
The FF and Avengers have superpowers. I guess that makes them mutants, too, even though they really aren't. It still doesn't make sense.

Did you like the animated series? I've loved every DC animated since Batman: TAS the only one I hate is Teen Titans(Stupid anime facial expressions) and I've heard they're getting better. I hated seeing Supes beat Marvel that easily on JLU. How come Marvel's face got f**ked up but Supes didn't? That 5 punch combo he hit Supes with should have KOed Supes. The lightning bolts should have KOed him also.

MattDay
i didnt write that quote dude, dont even know what he's talking about... oh well

MattDay
Im no fan boy tho, i'll admit when a character can lose or be bettered or what not, but this is nonsense

Femi32
I've loved every DC animated since Batman: TAS the only one I hate is Teen Titans(Stupid anime facial expressions) and I've heard they're getting better. I hated seeing Supes beat Marvel that easily on JLU. How come Marvel's face got f**ked up but Supes didn't? That 5 punch combo he hit Supes with should have KOed Supes. The lightning bolts should have KOed him also.

So your not a complete Superman hater. You just hate the one in continuity.

Supes, even the animated one, is not weak to magic like most people exaggerate. A punch from a magical person won't ko him unless he/she puts a magical aura around their punch. Look at how Thanos koed Surfer with energy punches. It's liike saying Starfire will get more powerful from Supes punches because both are solar based.

brainchild81
CM did it befroe without an aura didn't he?

Femi32
He had electrical energy around his hands the last time I remember.

brainchild81
He had electrical energy around his hands the last time I remember. Anybody got scans? Originally posted by Femi32
So your not a complete Superman hater. You just hate the one in continuity.
Exactly

roughrider
That episode probably inspired roughrider's antics in the Superman respect thread. I can't blame him. cool

He's supposed to have the strength of Hercules and Wonder Woman is stronger than Hercules. When he arm wrestled Supes, CM asked Supes if he can handle the strength of Herc and Atlas. Since it's been said that he has a portion of the god's abilities, it can be said that without channeling his strength, he's not truly stronger than Supes. When he does channel their collective strength, he equals Supes.

I don't look to any animated series as being a definitive source for these confrontations. It's not canon, or as realistic.
Now, Superman did successfully use that tatic to change Marvel back in Kingdom Come; I will look to that. Prior to doing that, Marvel was holding Superman off with little difficulty.

It's bad for Billy if he gets changed back, sure. But properly used, it can be a refresher tatic. If he's absorbed a lot as Marvel and is getting weaker perhaps, a quick change back and forth starts him off brand new again.

Femi32
Anybody got scans?

Here you go.

brainchild81
Cooooooolsmile Thanks. You were right.

roughrider
While I have stated my preference for Marvel in certain ways - dynamic costume, etc. - I understand why Superman is the Icon he is. His origin story resonates with people, because it can go back to archetypes and myths, like Star Wars does. That's why his origin has been claimed as a metaphor for both Christianity, and the Jewish immigrant experience.

the dark night
superman i mean captain marvel is a little kid good cover up but superman has more histroy and can kick ass

badabing
I say CM (Shazam). I've always thought he was better because he's a kid that does the job of an adult.

Superman_045
I'd have to say that Superman is better than Capt.Marvel. They're both great superheroes but Superman is a legend. As for the fight between them in the Justice League Unlimited cartoon, I do believe that Capt.Marvel should've had more hits in & they should've had them start their fight earlier so it'd be more action & it could've been more of an equal fight.

Syndicate_Lord
Superman is a symbol of heroism, the ultimate superhero... but hat doesnt mean he's stronger than cap. They are well matched but in a fight Cap would probably win... as it's Wisdom of Solomon VS nt-the-brighhtest-dude-this-side-of-Alpha Centuri! Physically they are even but Cap's intellignce edges it!

Syndicate_Lord
So supes is the better Super Hero IMHO...

Superman_045
Actually, I think Superman would win.

Dark Shazam93
Maybe

Superman_045
How much can Captain Marvel lift currently?

Milkie

That was crap. Comic feats are portrayed different from the cartoon feats.

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/1124/billyvsclarki5vr.jpg
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/3572/billyvsclarkii2hl.jpg
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/2906/billyvsclarkiii6tc.jpg
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/5811/billyvsclarkiv7le.jpg

Superman_045
Can Capt.Marvel breathe in space?

Milkie
Yes, Black Adam spent 5,000 years flying back to Earth after Shazam banished him to the most distant star in the universe (Fawcett History). I'm 100% sure that Captain Marvel could have done the same.

Superman_045
Damn, this guy is tougher than I thought.

SupezM'
Originally posted by Dark Shazam93
Superman is a symbol of heroism, the ultimate superhero... but hat doesnt mean he's stronger than cap. They are well matched but in a fight Cap would probably win... as it's Wisdom of Solomon VS nt-the-brighhtest-dude-this-side-of-Alpha Centuri! Physically they are even but Cap's intellignce edges it!

Superman is very smart, he's mastered Kryptonian technology something no one else can say. His fortress is filled with gadgets and things he's built, he's more naive and trusting then dull minded. In a tight spot he can think just as well as the next guy, he's been written to have more combat experience then almost any other Hero. He knows what he's doing.

Superman_045
Yeah, he even learned Kryptonian martial arts.

Milkie
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Superman without a reasonable doubt.

Capt. Ripoff was made because of Superman.

Capt. Ripoff is a Mortal from earth. Superman is an immortal planetary and galactic Superhero. nuff said..

No

It seems like the official story from DC is that Captain Marvel is a Superman imitator. "Clash" even has Cap admitting it himself. But is that the real story ? Let's see... Superman was created first...but that's about it. Who was first to have a bald headed mad scientist for an enemy? Captain Marvel. Dr Sivana appeared in Cap's first story. Luther didn't appear until late 1940, months later, and he had a full head of red hair. It was only after Sivana became so popular with readers did DC make Luthor bald to copy him. Who flew first ? Captain Marvel was flying under his own power very early on while Superman was still only leaping an eighth of a mile. DC copied Fawcett again. Cap was also completely invunerable before Superman was... so DC had to do Fawcett one better by giving Superman super-senses. Capt Marvel Jr and Mary Marvel were created years before Superboy and Supergirl. Heck, even Hoppy the Marvel Bunny appeared before Krypto the Superdog! The classic SUPERMAN THE MOVIE seems to have borrowed from Captain Marvel as well as Superman comics: After Krypton explodes, Jor El becomes very much a Shazam like spirit who counsels Superman in a Fortress that is reminiscent of the Rock of Eternity. Miss Teschmacher is much closer to Beautia than any Superman comic book character. Even Otis seems more like a henchman you'd find in a Capt Marvel adventure. And just who was the very first comic book superhero to fly across the silver screen in live action. Not Superman, who made his live action debut in 1948...it was Captain Marvel in the classic Republic serial of 1941. In the 1970s, Clark Kent became a TV reporter in the comics. Billy Batson had been a TV reporter since the 1950s (and a radio reporter before that). I don't see how Capt Marvel is a Superman imitator...what I see is Superman wanting to be just like Captain Marvel...and THOSE are the FACTS !!

olympian
If Marvel is a ripoof of SM then SM is a ripoff of Doc Savage.

And Doc Savage is a ripoff of the ancient strongmen.

Dr. Zaius
Originally posted by ZephroCarnelian
He has Billy's mind but he has the Wisdom of Solomon - so even though he's innocent and is totally shocked by any evil acts, he's got wisdom when it comes to making decisions.

That makes zero sense. Wisdom is based on the ability to make shrewd obervations and/or judgments based on experience. A child might make a "wise" decision by accident, but couldn't be considered wise, in general. Certainly, not as wise as Soloman. Now, if we're talking about the wisdom of Punky Brewster of Dukey Howser...that's another story. Billy Batson...Jesus Christ. The concept for this character really does blow.

.Dance_Inside.
I'll take them all

batdude123
Superman

Demonic Phoenix
What he said.

jasofisc
Superman

roughrider
Originally posted by Milkie
No

It seems like the official story from DC is that Captain Marvel is a Superman imitator. "Clash" even has Cap admitting it himself. But is that the real story ? Let's see... Superman was created first...but that's about it. Who was first to have a bald headed mad scientist for an enemy? Captain Marvel. Dr Sivana appeared in Cap's first story. Luther didn't appear until late 1940, months later, and he had a full head of red hair. It was only after Sivana became so popular with readers did DC make Luthor bald to copy him. Who flew first ? Captain Marvel was flying under his own power very early on while Superman was still only leaping an eighth of a mile. DC copied Fawcett again. Cap was also completely invunerable before Superman was... so DC had to do Fawcett one better by giving Superman super-senses. Capt Marvel Jr and Mary Marvel were created years before Superboy and Supergirl. Heck, even Hoppy the Marvel Bunny appeared before Krypto the Superdog! The classic SUPERMAN THE MOVIE seems to have borrowed from Captain Marvel as well as Superman comics: After Krypton explodes, Jor El becomes very much a Shazam like spirit who counsels Superman in a Fortress that is reminiscent of the Rock of Eternity. Miss Teschmacher is much closer to Beautia than any Superman comic book character. Even Otis seems more like a henchman you'd find in a Capt Marvel adventure. And just who was the very first comic book superhero to fly across the silver screen in live action. Not Superman, who made his live action debut in 1948...it was Captain Marvel in the classic Republic serial of 1941. In the 1970s, Clark Kent became a TV reporter in the comics. Billy Batson had been a TV reporter since the 1950s (and a radio reporter before that). I don't see how Capt Marvel is a Superman imitator...what I see is Superman wanting to be just like Captain Marvel...and THOSE are the FACTS !!

Jolly good show. thumb up

olympian
Weird story with the rip offs.

Hyperion and Gladiator are direct rips of SM concept. Direct.

And yet neither ever saw a lawsuit because they couldnt touch SMs popularity.

CM did. Thats what made him dangerous so to speak.

roughrider
It was the 1940's. If Shazam came around in the 1960's or 70's, would there have been a lawsuit?
To me the similarities are minor. Both are super-strong, near-invunerable, can fly and wear dashing outfits. Shazam's origin and power-base is completely different, while Gladiator & all the Hyperion's are nudge-nudge-wink-wink riffs of Big Blue.
Marvel never sued DC over Guardian being a ripoff of Captain America, or Aquaman being a copy of Namor.

Milkie
Yeah

D-Block
Superman is below Captain Marvel in strength, speed, powerset, and I think Captain Marvel has a slight edge in durability also.

Plus Captain Marvel does not have any weaknesses.

WrathfulDwarf
Technically speaking....Captain Marvel is the Superman of Magic in the DCU.

MattDay
to be honest these two are pinacles in dc's universe, wraithful is quite right, superman is superman and captain marvel is superman minus the sense abilities for magic endurance and abilities.

a few more comics of these two powerhouse taking on powerful villains would be nice.

D-Block
Originally posted by Milkie
No

Real Talk

MattDay
zzzzzzzz boring, superman owns capt marvel, who did what first is irrelevant, who finishes and gets all the glory is the name of the game... i dont see any captain marvel films... cause he sucks

Up In Flames
I used to like superman until the writers started writing integrating stupidity into his character by giving him such powers as t-vo and movement at speeds beyond light, and portraying him as a sissified teenager in smallville. And I always thought captain marvel to be a dorky looking hero until i read kingdom come. After that, it was "Damn, this guy's better than supes!"

But other than that, I prefer Captain Marvel because he's a more humble guy whereas Superman has this "I am more powerful than you'll ever be" attitude going on.

pr1983
Originally posted by Up In Flames
Superman has this "I am more powerful than you'll ever be" attitude going on.

...how?

MattDay
that's actually the way captain marvel acts at times, superman is always complementing people, saying that they are his toughest opponent ever, when you know he's fibbing, just being nice to them.

Up In Flames
Originally posted by pr1983
...how?

Whether he's talking to a villain or fellow hero, he usually has this dictator-like aura in his speech.

How do you think Batman was able to subdue him briefly? He's so proud of himself that he was able to be held at bay by a much less powerful being than himself.

MattDay
that makes no sense but yea whatev

Up In Flames
you aint got no common sense anyway...

MattDay
i think ur lack of common sense is making u think i have none, ur crazy man!... i like u! but ur crazy!... man I feel tired....

Up In Flames
Maybe you should change your name to "MattGay"

MattDay
dude that is unoriginal and i spit on u for a lame attempt, NAZI!

Up In Flames
dude that is unoriginal and i spit on u for a lame attempt, NAZI!

Um... how does calling you a sissy make me racist?

MattDay
to the moon and back so i hear

Up In Flames
???

MattDay
okay now u've stopped insulting me i'll reply properly, lets forget about it, superman tho is the better hero, captain marvel and superman if they were to be asked this in a comic, they'd be honoured to be compared to eachother, that's what they are like!

Mr Parker
seriously dude did you REALLY think that it would be a contest at all making this poll and putting it in the SUPERMAN section? roll eyes (sarcastic) you should have posted it in the comicbook section if you wanted an objective poll. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Emperor Ashtar
Cap, I cannot stand superman anymore. Though, he has some cool villians.

ankur29
current capM is like a 100 times more powerful than original capM , and he can't be changed back to billy

how fast was orginal CM?

what speed do you think BA was flying at if it took him 5000 years to get back from where he was banished?

ragesRemorse
superman has worse incarnations than shazaam, but has better ones too, so i say superman. for tomorrow superman, has one of the most adult presences ive seen. Granted this is because of jim lee's artwork, but its still written in paper so...

Mirai Gohan
I kind of like Captain Marvel more than Superman, he just has less recognition than Supes right now but overall, Superman is probably the better hero.

Endless Mike
Currently, Captain Marvel is more like a god now than a hero, with inheriting Shazam's full power, he will probably be passing on his legacy

Mirai Gohan
So, isn't Captain Marvel stronger than Superman?

Endless Mike
Currently? Yeah, way stronger.

Mirai Gohan
Sweeet.

Anyone got some recent pictures of Captain Marvel?

Endless Mike
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t173/EndlessMike9/Captain%20Marvel/cmnewshazam.jpg

chickenlover98
f

Mirai Gohan
Reported, don't spam again.

Anyway, what's new with Superman?

appleptree
Superman always .

Rorschach
Originally posted by Mirai Gohan
Reported, don't spam again.

Anyway, what's new with Superman?

Well, this is what he did in his comic appearance.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff144/KMCSuperman/17-2.jpg
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff144/KMCSuperman/18-2.jpg
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff144/KMCSuperman/19-4.jpg
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff144/KMCSuperman/20-21.jpg
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff144/KMCSuperman/22-2.jpg

Mirai Gohan
Interesting, I downloaded it onto my computer.

Anybody got some new scans of Captain Marvel?

ankur29
yes go to marvel respect thread

anyway Original marvel is nearly as strong and as fast as a full power non sundipped superman l. therefore CM is 99% physical attributes of superman + magic > or = superman

weird equation huh?

pr1983
Originally posted by Endless Mike
Currently? Yeah, way stronger.

cos he's like, the wizard now, right?

Allankles
Originally posted by pr1983
cos he's like, the wizard now, right?

Yeah! Why should he be stronger simply because he's a wizard now? I would say he's powers have increased, but that doesn't mean he's stronger than Supes.

ankur29
Originally posted by Allankles
Yeah! Why should he be stronger simply because he's a wizard now? I would say he's powers have increased, but that doesn't mean he's stronger than Supes.

CM as shazam is way stronger than supes!

ankur29
Originally posted by Allankles

CM as wizard is way stronger than supes!

SuppMan
Superman because I grew up watching him and I didn't even know who Cap. Marvel was. (biased i know) Cap. Marvel does sound pretty cool though, but superman's power is what he is. He is his powers.. from reading some of the threads, it seems like cap. marvel is powered by magic?? right? kind of like the juggernaught?

ankur29
Originally posted by SuppMan
Superman because I grew up watching him and I didn't even know who Cap. Marvel was. (biased i know) Cap. Marvel does sound pretty cool though, but superman's power is what he is. He is his powers.. from reading some of the threads, it seems like cap. marvel is powered by magic?? right? kind of like the juggernaught?

yh i guess you could say like juggernaut ,only with strength equal to supes at a 100% (without sun charge anyway) and speed that enables him to move at near light speed!

Allankles
Originally posted by ankur29
CM as wizard is way stronger than supes!

How? He still only has the strength of Hercules, unless you're saying wizard has the strength of several Hercules. Wizard has more magical power (expected) but there's no proof that he's stronger than Supes.

Endless Mike
Captain Marvel (with only a small amount of Shazam's power) had the strength of Hercules.

Shazam himself had way more strength.

He actually put up a fight against the Spectre.

MattDay
haven' these two beaten each other in the past, mostly down to one's weakness over the other? Superman would take the majority from intellect, experience (he doesn't have to just straight up over power everyone) and of course combining his powers.

ankur29
haven' these two beaten each other in the past, mostly down to one's weakness over the other? Superman would take the majority from intellect, experience (he doesn't have to just straight up over power everyone) and of course combining his powers.

CM is also superintelligent near god levels! with the wisdom of solomon

MattDay
okay so advanced krypton intellect vs god like intellect... isn't that the same thing, in terms of knowledge and understanding

Bardock42
Superman is so much cooler, it's not even funny.

And that says something taking into account what an incredible douche Supes is.

Sarutobi700
Supes is a copy of Captain Marvel

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>