What is the funniest movie of 2005?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Punker69
"40 Year Old Virgin" hands down.

Cinemaddiction
Most vile, maybe. It was borderline misogynistic! Anycrap, funniest movie of 2005, IMO was "11:14", an independent dark comedy with Colin Hanks, Rachael Leigh Cook, and Patrick Swayze. It was a work of comic genius, and sorely underappreciated.

BackFire
I didn't see many comedies this year. The only ones that comes to mind is Wedding Crashers, and 40 Year Old Virgin, both of which made me laugh pretty good.

Wolfie
I guess Wedding Crashers would be my pick. Honorable mentions would be Kung Fu Hustle and The Curse of the Were-Rabbit.

I'll have to check out 11:14. I've seen it on the shelves a million times and never gave it a second thought.

BackFire
I'll also mention Palindromes, though while not completely a comedy,nor really a laugh out loud movie, it's use of irony is brilliant and is one of the best dark comedies out there.

Impediment
11:14? Is it underground and/or hard to obtain with out special ordering? That said, is it available for rent at most video stores?

Punker69
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
Most vile, maybe. It was borderline misogynistic!

Is this reffering to "Virgin"? What do you mean? Anyways, I really liked the movie. I thought it was funny, sweet, and Steve Carell did a great job playing a really likeable and funny character. But what can I say, I'm a sucker for comedies that can be raunchy and sweet at the same time.

Impediment, yes, it should be available at your local video rental store. It hit dvd quite some time ago although I haven't seen it. I dont watch much movies these days.

I also haven't gotten a chance to see "Wedding Crasher". Am I missing out?

eleveninches
kung-fu hustle was awsome

DeVi| D0do
I never actually saw the movie, but the trailer for "Stealth" was pretty frickin hilarious...

DarkWizard
^laughing out loud

There isn't a lot to choose from this year. But I would probably go for 'The Wedding Crashers'.

papabeard
The League of Gentlemen's Apocalypse ( nothing to do with the sean connery film)

exanda kane
I really didn't like 40-year-Old-Virgin. I didn't find it particuarly interesting nor funny.

Now maybe Team America (I did come out last year didn't it?), or The League of Gentlemans Apocalypse...not sure.

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by Impediment
11:14? Is it underground and/or hard to obtain with out special ordering? That said, is it available for rent at most video stores?

"11:14" is an indie, and I know that Hollywood Video carries it. Wal Mart sells it, as well.

botankus
The only other comedy I saw was Guess Who, so I'll go with Wallace & Gromit as well.

joeykangaroo
Originally posted by eleveninches
kung-fu hustle was awsome
lol thats a crazy film

DarthLazious
Fun With Dick & Jane was very funny.

Silverstein
the 40 Year-Old-Virgin all the way! "felt like grabbing a bag of sand..." laughing

DarkWizard
Oh that's right. Fun with Dick in Jane is probably my favorite.

Nevermind
I saw a few comedies this year, nothing I can really pick out to be my "favourite" because nothing really stood out. Maybe Wedding Crashers?

Solo
The first half of "The Wedding Crashers".

DarkWizard
Originally posted by Solo
The first half of "The Wedding Crashers".

But Will Farrel Makes up for the 2nd half.

MA! THE MEATLOAF! laughing out loud

Solo
Originally posted by DarkWizard
But Will Farrel Makes up for the 2nd half.

MA! THE MEATLOAF! laughing out loud
Truly the only good scene in the second half. Most of the second half wasn't original, it was merely an average romance.

Punker69
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
"11:14" is an indie, and I know that Hollywood Video carries it. Wal Mart sells it, as well.

As well as Blockbuster.

Oh that's right. Fun with Dick in Jane is probably my favorite.

Are you serious? "FWDAJ" was as bland a comedy as they come. The film based itself on being a movie about Jim Carrey becoming a perosn who commits burgleries to survive(which is a funny concept) but in actuality most of the movie was about Carrey losing his job and then coming up with some lame ass scheme to steal money from his former boss. It wasn't anything like I thought it was going to be and not the least bit funny compared to "Bruce Almight".

Wolfie
I had no interest in seeing Fun with Dick and Jane.

The highlight of Wedding Crashers really was the beginning, the wedding crashing. After that, yeah, it was a typical movie, Meet the Parents-ish. It was still funny though. "I hope you fall off your bike and break your front teeth out, you selfish son of a b*tch!"

Solo
Originally posted by Punker69
Are you serious? "FWDAJ" was as bland a comedy as they come. The film based itself on being a movie about Jim Carrey becoming a perosn who commits burgleries to survive(which is a funny concept) but in actuality most of the movie was about Carrey losing his job and then coming up with some lame ass scheme to steal money from his former boss. It wasn't anything like I thought it was going to be and not the least bit funny compared to "Bruce Almight".
In your opinion.

The statements of a fourteen year-old boy don't amount to much.

DarkWizard
Are you serious? "FWDAJ" was as bland a comedy as they come. The film based itself on being a movie about Jim Carey becoming a perosn who commits burgleries to survive(which is a funny concept) but in actuality most of the movie was about Carey losing his job and then coming up with some lame ass scheme to steal money from his former boss. It wasn't anything like I thought it was going to be and not the least bit funny compared to "Bruce Almight".

Well, Fun with Dick and Jane strikes funny to an audience that understands the pop culture jokes of years back when the economy didn't mean much to you. Like the 'Enron' Joke at the end. Absolutely hilarious if you understand what board they were playing on. I'm a Die-hard Jim Carey fan and I always will be. This movie was another good addition to his acting career IMO. It may not have been as good as some of his other movies like 'The Truman show', 'Liar Liar' and 'Ace Ventura'. But still a good flick none the less. I hope you can respect my opinion on this film and do the same for others.

River Wild
The 40 Year old Virgin was really funny!!!!

Punker69
Well, Fun with Dick and Jane strikes funny to an audience that understands the pop culture jokes of years back when the economy didn't mean much to you. Like the 'Enron' Joke at the end. Absolutely hilarious if you understand what board they were playing on. I'm a Die-hard Jim Carey fan and I always will be. This movie was another good addition to his acting career IMO. It may not have been as good as some of his other movies like 'The Truman show', 'Liar Liar' and 'Ace Ventura'. But still a good flick none the less. I hope you can respect my opinion on this film and do the same for others.

But the thing is, we dont live way back then. We live in the present time. And a movie that wants to strike a big audience should realize it. Anyways, it was just a lame movie. Jim Carrey had his moments like usual but other than that the script and storyline didn't work very well. I think the thing that upsets me the most is that from the trailers it looks as if the movie was going to be about a funny conman (Jim Carrey) and his wife and their their entertaining robories. I really liked the concept at first but when I actually saw the movie it was entirely different from what I expected. Btw, I do respect your opinion. I never said I didn't.

adscrawler
team america hands down "we need a montage"

botankus
Oh, I forgot about Team America. That's my vote.

Impediment
Team America: World Police
Family Guy Presents Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story

exanda kane
THE Family Guy film was pretty piss poor I have to say; I forgot to mention Wallace & Gromit!

bksdrums
Definitely 40 Year Old Virgin.

Solo
But the thing is, we dont live way back then. We live in the present time. And a movie that wants to strike a big audience should realize it.

I don't think you've realized this yet, but.........it's a remake, moron. Do some research before you continue making ignorant statements.

Punker69
The fact that its a remake is irrelevant. Besides, that wasn't even my point to begin with.

DarkWizard
With that sentance structure, you made it seem like your point.

Punker69
It wasn't. I was just replying to what you said.

BackFire
Team America was from 2004

adscrawler
Originally posted by BackFire
Team America was from 2004 well it was january 2005 in the uk first big film of 05

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.