Why didn't Mace just kill Palpatine/Sidious when Anakin first arrived

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Exador
I mean he's just standing there like: You are under arrest my lord, and Your oppression of the Sith will never return, you have lost.

Cascador
cause he was actually never meant to kill him...cause how can Anakin be the chosen one, if Mace kills Palps

Exador
If he never meant to kill him. WHY WAS HE TRYING TO HIT HIM WITH HIS LIGHTSABER!!!!!

mace=badass
After Sids used his lightning on Mace he decided he was "too dangerous to be kept alive."

Ushgarak
Yes, he was trying to make the arrest at first. Whilst it was necessary to kill Sidious, that's a heck of a thing to expect a Jedi to want to do by default. It was only when the lightning came out that Windu really appreciated the scale of the problem.

PVS
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Yes, he was trying to make the arrest at first. Whilst it was necessary to kill Sidious, that's a heck of a thing to expect a Jedi to want to do by default. It was only when the lightning came out that Windu really appreciated the scale of the problem.

wait a minute. palps took out three jedi masters/council members (best of the best) in about 8 seconds. after which mace doesnt feel he's too dangerous to be kept alive.

but then palps, an exposed sith, exhibits the good ol' sith parlor trick of force lightning, and all of the sudden he's too dangerous.

it really doesnt make sense

Tangible God
They fought, they TRIED to kill each other yes, in battle. If a Jedi kills an opponent in battle, that's not against the Jedi-code.

But despite Palp's power, he was unarmed, and to kill him would be an execution, something the Jedi are against. It was only after realizing that Palpatine would never be taken in alive that he knew he had to finish him.

PVS
Originally posted by Tangible God
It was only after realizing that Palpatine would never be taken in alive that he knew he had to finish him.

yeah...i guess that makes sense

Padmé Amidala
exactly "He's too dangerous to be left alive". Mace HAD intended to arrest Palps but after his Jedi buddies were slaughtered and Palps turned out to be quite sharp with a lightsaber, Mace changed his ideas on what had to be done.

Cascador
there is something else tho that doesn't make sense

In the end Mace knows he can't arrest Palpatine and has no choice to kill him because he has control over the senate and the courts so if he knew this why did he try to arrest him in the beginning....

Padmé Amidala
Good question. I think perhaps he was overconfident that he and the other Jedi could arrest him effectively, and as Mace said "Not yet". Palps almost had entire control but not yet. I think Mace believed there was still hope

Thorin
well he didnt kill him, because its not the way its supposed to happen.
and if it were different, i think mace would have killed palps.

palps=giljotiini

Tangible God
No, I doubt Mace would've had overconfidence in his own abilites, that's very non-Jedi-like.

It's just totally against the Code to go up to Palpatine and announce that you're gonna kill him. Even if he knew it was gonna come down to a fight, he wasn't about to throw his ethics and beliefs to the wind.

Padmé Amidala
YODA: Yes, yes. It's a flaw more and more common among
Jedi. Too sure of themselves they are. Even the older, more
experienced ones.

Tangible God
But he WAS saying that with Mace alongside him, I doubt Yoda was referring that to the second, maybe even the first, most powerful Master at the time.

Padmé Amidala
What I mean is. Mace didnt go to Palps office thinking "we're going to have to kill him". That wasnt his intention. Thats why he took other Jedi along, cause he was probably certain that would be enough to overpower Palps.......... he was a little wrong tho lol

Tangible God
Yeah, he probably thought even a Sith Lord wouldn't dare stand up against him, Kitty, Pushing Tiin, and Aging.

Too little office space for them to move though.

Padmé Amidala
They fell like flies, Mace must've thought "All that damn Jedi training for what eh??"

PVS

Padmé Amidala
Thats what I meant, the fact that Palps wouldnt give up....... as you said, he then said to him he was under arrest, but then again, Force Lightning, what else could he have done? Im just clarifying that Mace didnt go there with the intension to kill

PVS
although....i have to wonder....why didnt mace cut off palps' hands?
that would have ended the fiasco and he wouldnt have had to kill him.
hmmm....

Padmé Amidala
Cause it wouldnt have made an interesting story wink

PVS
and that really is the answer to all these questions isnt it?

Padmé Amidala
Indeed! lol

Tangible God
Surprisingly enough, it actually is.

SpyCspider
Originally posted by PVS
and that really is the answer to all these questions isnt it?

hahahah i agree, PVS.

it's really funny to hear answers that go "cuz that wasn't meant to happen.."

NOOOO.....you think? wink It's quite the useless answer, imo. Along with "cuz Lucas wanted it that way"

Council#13
Originally posted by Exador
If he never meant to kill him. WHY WAS HE TRYING TO HIT HIM WITH HIS LIGHTSABER!!!!!

laughing Yeah i know! one quick flick of the saber and he would slash the neck

overlord
Originally posted by Exador
I mean he's just standing there like: You are under arrest my lord, and Your oppression of the Sith will never return, you have lost. Same reason as in Bond movies.

Damn.. Why didn't I jump kill this thread with my lasersword immediately when I layed my eyes upon it! (Hey, good question for thread!)

Cascador
it's true...Mace was angry and felt like I'm gonna tell this ******* the truth...I'm the badass here not him...felt better I guess than just striking him down...and when Anakin arrived he felt conflict. He doubted to strike cause Anakin said it was not the Jedi way but he decided for himself out of anger and fear that it was better to strike him down...he waited too long and Anakin slashed his arm off.

darht dude
mace windu is a freaking idiot.

darht dude
mace windu is a flipping idiot.

sithsaber408
Originally posted by darht dude
mace windu is a freaking idiot. Originally posted by darht dude
mace windu is a flipping idiot.

You sir, are a pot calling a kettle black.

blow

Council#13
Originally posted by Ushgarak

That's a good way to put it... confused

Lord Magnus
Indeed. Even a jedi can get caught by surprised... and owned...

DucLangur
I thought about this. Remember in the beginning of the movie when anakin is over Dooku with the lighsabers crossed, and then he kills him and Palpatine says, "he was "too dangerous" to be kept alive." Interestingly enough, Mace says the exact thing about Palapatine. So Anakin of course kills Dooku, becuase he was "too dangerous", and Palps is not killed, becuase its against the "Jedi Code", and then before Mace strikes Anakin says "I need him" ,and then he cuts Mace's hand off. Isn't it alittle ironic. Both the scenes are very pivitol also. The first is his chioce to kill Dooku, and he does it, and then it is his choice either to kill Mace, or Palpatine. ANyway just a thought, becuae of course the only reason for Anakin not letting Mace kill Palpatine was because of Padme, if not we would have a completely different story, actually the movie would probably end, if Anakin kills Palpatine. Anyway, just a thought.

Tangible God
Anakin supposedly intervened because he both needed Palpatine, and felt guilty about killing the unarmed Dooku.

DucLangur
Yeah. But I think the real reason was not about Dooku or Palpatine, but it was about his wife

Ganner Rhysode
His issue with Dooku was not about his wife at all.

However, I thought it was fairly obvious that the reason he said "I need him" in reference to Palpatine was because he, well, needed him to teach him how to save his wife. Has anyone even disputed that?

Cascador
Well I think that's what Duclangur meant...Anakin didn't want to kill miss...he wanted to prevent him killing sidious...Anakin was unaware that sidious was lying about being weak. He was desperate so he cut his hand off to save sidious. But as soon as he realised that Sidious wasn't powerless he of course said "What have I done!" He got even more desperate to save his wife. There was no way he could arrest Sidious now without being captured himself by the Jedi for attacking Mace Windu even if Sidious was weak and could be captured. So his only escape was playing it by Sidious' way and as soon as he learned the power he would kill Sidious cause he was indeed stronger, but after the battle with obi-wan he was too weak and he tapped too deep into the Dark Side and became a slave again.

Ganner Rhysode
Oooh, alright. Well, then, in that case, I agree. I don't think Anakin had any idea that Mace was going to end up getting killed because of his actions.

DucLangur
Yes Exactly my point.Thanks Cascador smile

Faroth
Yeah... Some people say that Anakin was mind controlled by Sidious because his mind was weak and confused at that one moment, but I don't really think that was the case... but I could be wrong, of course.

Cascador
no I dont agree with that...there were no mindtricks...just normal manipulation that you have from a friend to a friend and indeed it was easier to manipulate Anakin when he was confused.

Faroth
That would make more sense.

Captain REX
I like how everyone thought that Mace Windu was angry. Oh, wait, he's a Jedi, one of the model Jedi of his time. Don't think so.

Cascador
Jedi or not...he did things against the Jedi Code...Anakin was right about that. So he isn't a a model Jedi...I ain't saying he is a bad Jedi...he's a great Jedi. But Mace was also tapping from the Dark Side and he was angry at the end of the fight.

Stun
yes it annoys me that he had the chance to end it all right there! i mean, f*ck the Jedi code, finish him off!stick out tongue

darht dude
mace is just retarted that's why

Rush Fan
exactly. yes

Jack Daniels
Lucas should digitally edit the ROTJ and ROTS and make mace the the sith lord and make the new tv series show maces downfall to the darkside by killing palps and becoming the most powerful sith ever...LOL...okay yes Ive drank to much tonight!

Cascador
oh you can always make your own version Jack!
You at least have one interested guy for that versionwink

Jack Daniels
hehe cool Darth Mace! And in my version unlike Lucas we have boobs in space! He didnt believe in putting busty women in SW but I do!

Cascador
Can you believe that there are female stormtroopers in EU with busty boob armour? Maybe you should put those in your version too lol

General Zink
Originally posted by Cascador
Jedi or not...he did things against the Jedi Code...Anakin was right about that. So he isn't a a model Jedi...I ain't saying he is a bad Jedi...he's a great Jedi. But Mace was also tapping from the Dark Side and he was angry at the end of the fight.

Wrong!

Cascador
well you can say I'm wrong...but you could also maybe add why....

Tangible God
Originally posted by Cascador
Can you believe that there are female stormtroopers in EU with busty boob armour? Maybe you should put those in your version too lol I did not know that. Where in EU is this Feminist movement?

Jack Daniels
busty storm trooper babes I gotta get the ole lady one those outfits! woohoo!

Darth Traya
Dramatic necessity.

Jack Daniels
woohoo!

craft-a-saber
Originally posted by Jack Daniels
busty storm trooper babes I gotta get the ole lady one those outfits! woohoo!

oh yeeeessss woohooooss

all round

"boobs in space" far more catchy than "star wars"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.