Gods not getting enough respect?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Uberking Robert
I know I made a thread stating how characters are too powerful, but these are GODS we're talking about. It seems like gods in the MU (Asgardians, Olympians, etc.) don't have even the slightest effect on a cosmic scale. It seems as though gods are just gods and a skyfather can't count as a cosmic being. Does anybody besides me believe that gods should be given more respect and credit? I mean, they're GODS. In each of their respective mythologies the pantheon was the end-all be-all of the universe. At Ragnarok the death of the gods could only come with the end of Creation. Zeus was the true king of Heaven and all that is, the supreme lord and master of all he surveyed.

And I don't think that gods are necessarily even depicted in the actual way they should. It seems to me that the Hindu gods are just another average pantheon, yet in Hindu mythology Brahma the Creator, Vishnu the Preserver and Shiva the Destroyer were each an aspect of THE God himself with a capital "G" and each had universe-destroying power. There are a lot of gods out there who could do great and yet that Marvel has ignored. The Great Spirit, for example (god of a number of indian tribes in North America). From what I can tell of him he too wouldn't be a typical Asgardian-styled god, because from the little I read he was omnipresent, not a single physical being.

I don't think that gods are done right, nor are they as powerful as they should be, and they don't get the respect they deserve.

superman420sexy
But most of them hav top level strengt and speed and stuff what more do you want? They are not actually GODS as in omnipotent beings, but people who can beat the hell out of anyone except a few alien civilizations that come there way, so they label themselves as "GODS"

Dizzle
I agree. They're not nearly as powerful in comics that they are in their actual mythologies. But you can't really have 20 different, omnipotent pantheons coexisting, can you?

Oh, and most of them weren't really all that totally supreme... Zeus got beaten up during an ambush by a couple of goddesses. And while he was the more powerful, Poseidon regarded him as pretty stupid, mostly because he took the high and mighty, but quite useless, sky over the ocean. Go Namor!

Either way, none of them were really portrayed to be quite as powerful as the traditional monotheistic figure of "GOD" is. They have personality and faults and such, and so are a little bit more human than God. So while I agree that they should probably be more powerful, they shouldn't be THAT powerful.

cheap cabbage
The presence, TOAA....nuff' said

superman420sexy
well yeah it is thought they were human like to kind of let them co-exist with the humans better and to be more acceptible gods

Soljer
Sorry Kid, the reason we cannot represent the gods in the way they SHOULD be represented is simple. In fact, it is the same reason we cannot teach creationism in schools: too many ideologies.

Yes. The Judeo-christian God has universe creating/destroying power.
Yes. The Hindu God(s) have universe creating/destroying power.
Yes. Jehovah has universe creating/destroying power.
Yes. Allah has universe creating/destroying power.

But is that interesting from a comic stand-point? **** NO! I want to see gods kicking superman's ass, and getting thrown into smoldering craters. Is that too much to ask? :-P

superman420sexy
Yeah I guess it would be predictable if the Gods always fed everyone up and the sales would go down. It's kind of known the gods should win but that's not as entertaining, so it's more of a "If the gods were not omnipotent beings"

Zarathustra
Nah.. Gods in Greek mythology weren't all that tough to begin with. A quick read of the Iliad will show mortal hero Diomedes injuring and driving from the battlefield both Aphrodite and Ares, the goddess of love and god of war. Later on, Patroclus and Achilles each have physical confrontations with Apollo.
And frankly, Diomedes and the guys are tough, but they're not even as powerful as a Marvel character like Spiderman... let alone The Hulk or Magneto and so forth.

superman420sexy
**** it lets go buy some oxycotton or trip out on some peyote, and THEN talk about this stuff

Zarathustra
Originally posted by Soljer
Yes. The Judeo-christian God has universe creating/destroying power.
Yes. Jehovah has universe creating/destroying power.
Yes. Allah has universe creating/destroying power.

You do realize that these are all the same entity, right?

Soljer
Originally posted by Zarathustra
You do realize that these are all the same entity, right?

Haha, to some. I DO realize that Islam was based on Christianity which was based upon Judaism. However, the entities ARE different, "God" has said things that Yaweh (Damn, that's who I meant, not Jehovah, my bad) hasn't. Allah has said things that "God" hasn't. And Yaweh is sitting there going "I ain't said shit." It is all subjective.

superman420sexy
Yaweh is turning into Eazy-E out this mofo

Zarathustra
Haha, to some. I DO realize that Islam was based on Christianity which was based upon Judaism. However, the entities ARE different, "God" has said things that Yaweh (Damn, that's who I meant, not Jehovah, my bad) hasn't. Allah has said things that "God" hasn't. And Yaweh is sitting there going "I ain't said shit." It is all subjective.
To deal in semantics, Christians, Jews, and Muslims don't think that their god is real and the other religions believe in a false god. They just think that the other religions misunderstand the god that they all believe in. It's sort of like how Denny O'Neil and Frank Miller both wrote stories about the same fictional entity "Batman", but they represent his personality traits in far different ways. So it is the same entity, unless by "entity" you mean their particular understanding of what his personality is. In any case, I do take your meaning.

Soljer
I have to disagree, YOU cannot speak for every Christian, Jew, and Muslim in the world. There ARE evangalists out there that preach "Unless you believe in X, you are on your way to hell"

Then there are the more reasonable ones that are, as you described, more accepting of others. They aren't ALL that way, however.

And looking at religion from more of a mythology-standpoint, not thinking of it as a belief system, but putting Greek, Roman, and Christian on the same level, I would say that Yaweh, 'God', and Allah are very different beings, as they are worshipped in very different ways by very different congregations.

EDIT: Thought of a quick example, Greek and Roman gods are (for most purposes) identical, but we still think of them separate, you hear of Roman and Greek mythology much more often separate than you do Greco-roman. Hence, Christianity, Judaism, and Islam can be thought of in the same way.

Zarathustra
I have to disagree, YOU cannot speak for every Christian, Jew, and Muslim in the world. There ARE evangalists out there that preach "Unless you believe in X, you are on your way to hell"

Ah, but they say that about other (In the case of Christians) Christians that don't understand God the way they understand Him too. But they wouldn't imagine that those Christians believe in a different entity than they do. Now, I don't doubt that some Christians, Jews, and Muslims think that the others believe in different gods. They're just wrong about it, is all.
On the issue of Greek and Roman gods: I have never thought of them as distinct. You can read copies of the Iliad that refer to the gods by their Roman names. Virgil's Aeneid follows the Greek tradition exactly, using many of the same characters from the Iliad, simply replacing Greek names with Roman names. The entities are exactly the same, just referred to by different titles.
In any case, this is far off topic. Let's end it.

Soljer
Not to be rude, but you CANNOT say with an absolute that ANY one is wrong in ANY faith. It is simply impossible to either disprove or prove any religion, any religious belief, and any faith on the whole. When it comes to gods, you cannot possibly say that anyone is wrong about anything. Literally. At that point, it all becomes personal and subjective.

Mider
of course its possible to disprove a religion hmm hindus think cows are higher then they are i guess thats why they rule the world the jews dont even keep the laws of moses which demands animal sacrifice which in The Bible it says if your gonna keep the law better keep it all which only Christ did hmmmm other religions like catholics add to the Bible or take away while God Himself says if you add to this book I will add to you the plauges inside and if you take away I will take away your name from the Book Of Life and asgardians hmmm if they are gods perioud why dont they rule the universe look up norse mythology when they had to battle the embodiments of certain things such as the speed of thought they almost won but did not meaning they were not hte highest being also the aztecs say there god the sun is not the greatest but that there was Another God who was beyond it and the greeks also say that Paul in The Bible said to the greeks you have so many shrines to so many gods you even have one to God Himself but dont know it so you call Him The Unknown God and what religious book has ever been as accurate as The Bible none other research on it how God said egypt would never rise as a world power and to this day it has not or how God said that Babylon could never be inhabited and how the ground has turned to sulfer there even though it was once the biggest city on earth.

superbatman86
Originally posted by Zarathustra
Nah.. Gods in Greek mythology weren't all that tough to begin with. A quick read of the Iliad will show mortal hero Diomedes injuring and driving from the battlefield both Aphrodite and Ares, the goddess of love and god of war. Later on, Patroclus and Achilles each have physical confrontations with Apollo.
And frankly, Diomedes and the guys are tough, but they're not even as powerful as a Marvel character like Spiderman... let alone The Hulk or Magneto and so forth.
The reason he could hurt Ares was 1.he had an enchanted spear2.Athena helped him stab3.None of the gods could be seen by anyone but him and 4.Ares wasn't fighting back because Diomedes is his son.

King KAM
Originally posted by Uberking Robert
I know I made a thread stating how characters are too powerful, but these are GODS we're talking about. It seems like gods in the MU (Asgardians, Olympians, etc.) don't have even the slightest effect on a cosmic scale. It seems as though gods are just gods and a skyfather can't count as a cosmic being. Does anybody besides me believe that gods should be given more respect and credit? I mean, they're GODS. In each of their respective mythologies the pantheon was the end-all be-all of the universe. At Ragnarok the death of the gods could only come with the end of Creation. Zeus was the true king of Heaven and all that is, the supreme lord and master of all he surveyed.

And I don't think that gods are necessarily even depicted in the actual way they should. It seems to me that the Hindu gods are just another average pantheon, yet in Hindu mythology Brahma the Creator, Vishnu the Preserver and Shiva the Destroyer were each an aspect of THE God himself with a capital "G" and each had universe-destroying power. There are a lot of gods out there who could do great and yet that Marvel has ignored. The Great Spirit, for example (god of a number of indian tribes in North America). From what I can tell of him he too wouldn't be a typical Asgardian-styled god, because from the little I read he was omnipresent, not a single physical being.

I don't think that gods are done right, nor are they as powerful as they should be, and they don't get the respect they deserve. why the hell are you in this forum?

grey fox
Ok heres the skinny

No writer will use a current religion because their afraid of the backlash it will cause , if they refer to THE GOD they don't name him to leave it ambiguous . Of course most people assumee he/she/it is the Christian 'god' for some reason.

The various comic book companies use outdated god's that no one worships anymore. No one worships the Norse pantheon anymore so now their comic fodder.....

olympian
Nah.. Gods in Greek mythology weren't all that tough to begin with. A quick read of the Iliad will show mortal hero Diomedes injuring and "driving from the battlefield both Aphrodite and Ares, the goddess of love and god of war. Later on, Patroclus and Achilles each have physical confrontations with Apollo.
And frankly, Diomedes and the guys are tough, but they're not even as powerful as a Marvel character like Spiderman... let alone The Hulk or Magneto and so forth."

Like mentioned above, he never did on its own. Mortals could injure Immortals with help from other immortals, not without it.

Lord Magnus
Y'think we should move this to the 'Comic Book Religion/Philosophy Forum?' This has gone way beyond vs.

Juntai
Originally posted by grey fox
Ok heres the skinny

No writer will use a current religion because their afraid of the backlash it will cause , if they refer to THE GOD they don't name him to leave it ambiguous . Of course most people assumee he/she/it is the Christian 'god' for some reason.

The various comic book companies use outdated god's that no one worships anymore. No one worships the Norse pantheon anymore so now their comic fodder..... You've never read Preacher? Lucifer? Spectre?
There's all kinds of comics with the Christian god.

grey fox
Originally posted by Juntai
You've never read Preacher? Lucifer? Spectre?
There's all kinds of comics with the CHRISTIAN god.

Yes but those comics outrightly are CHRISTIAN and or CHRISTIAN based.

Eg : Preacher is a 'CHRISTIAN' reverend , while Lucifer is outright named in the bible.....

DarkCrawler
Marvel heroes really meet gods often.

Fore example, Namor nearly defeated Ares...and fought Hercules, Thor and enemies of Neptune, who he is related to. And due that, he's related to nearly all greek gods.

Juntai
Originally posted by grey fox
Yes but those comics outrightly are CHRISTIAN and or CHRISTIAN based.

Eg : Preacher is a 'CHRISTIAN' reverend , while Lucifer is outright named in the bible..... What relivence does that hold? The naming of those comics completely stunted that other post "No writer will use the christian god". When I just named 3 comics that do. And they also have all those other Pantheons in there.

Ever read JLA: Paradise Lost?

DC/Vertigo touches on the classic Norse, Greek, Roman, etc pantheons and definately also utilises Christianity.

grey fox
Hmmm true , well perhaps these 'god's don't get enough respect because their not 'god's '

Most people define a god as a Omnipotent ,Omniscient being , thor , zeus even the other god's don't do that. The only god who can supposedly do all of this is the christian god.....

JOE NUNEZ
Well i saw ares the dc version man handle the justice league he was ***** slapping superman like if he was a fly.........

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.