representation of women in films.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

furryman
hi, i'd very much appreciate your input.

for my exam research i'm discussing:

whether leading females are represented differently when directed by a male or a female director

do you think they are?
how?
and why?

thanks in advance.

DarkWizard
I don't think it's really the Director that presents the woman and the woman's role. But I feel that the Script Writer takes most of the credit. He comes up with the character, and her characteristics. Making him the main form of representation amongst female roles.

furryman
thanks for your feedback.

i realise this but it's kinda too late to change my question.

what if the writer and director are the same?

would you say men were more focused on the sexual side of women
rather than female directors?

Rapscallion
It is likely that male directors portray women characters differnt from how women directors portray women characters, simply because it'is harder for them to relate to the characters. But there are also othert facteors that could make a male director understand a female character more and relate to them better than even than female directors due to perhaps persomnal experience. So yes and no. Sorry I'm giving a mixed answer. Is there any specific examples that are making you pose this question?

"what if the writer and director are the same?"

if this is true than it is the writing not the directing that is formulating this specific depiction of women characters.

furryman
specifically virgin suicides by sofia coppola (adapted from novel by jeffrey eugenides)
and girl, interrupted by james mangold (adapted from novel by susannah kaysen)

i thought it was interesting the novel was written by the opposite sex of the respective director.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.