Canon Issuie

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ResubianNushi
Since we have an ongoing discussion of this in the Vs. Forum, I'm going to try and finalize it. The argument is about RPG sourcebooks and their credibility. I would much like to get it over with and finally give it a level in canon. I believe it's N-canon, but I'm not god here. We're doing this the Geek way. Above is a poll to be voted on by the members of this section. Go on and vote people.

SnakeEyes
I'm gonna have to go with N-canon. Those RPG sourcebooks shouldn't have credibility. They have specific stats just so that the game works more efficiently, which is the way a game like that should be. They don't really focus on making accurate representations of how powerful characters are, but they have certain stats for characters so it works well in the game.

Dark Aristokrat
N-Canon. Star Wars is a movie franchise. An independent roleplaying company doesn't have the right to retcon or otherwise effect EU continuity- they simply have permission to make an open-ended roleplaying game.

Nactous
No comment.

ESB - 1138
I wouldn't consider anything you see in a video game canon (unless it's in a cut scene or something that gives you an actually look on the character)

Lightsnake
Simple and the sourcebooks state this themselves: Game stats have no bearing, but the story info they contain is used. It's explained the fact Kadann survived, Lord Cronal, numerous details on the Ancient Sith and the Old Era...

Dark Aristokrat
Originally posted by Dark Aristokrat
N-Canon. Star Wars is a movie franchise. An independent roleplaying company doesn't have the right to retcon or otherwise effect EU continuity- they simply have permission to make an open-ended roleplaying game.

I quote this again. Unless the vaunted Leland Chee has given us a defininate position on RPG sourcebooks (Which aren't even included in the lineup of canon items, though it does parellel closely with the N-canon Star Wars Galaxies) sourcebooks aren't on the same level as EU continuity. And if it's expected to be the honest and sole source of certain bits of knowledge, this is really a poor idea, since not everyone can pay 30 bucks for a sourcebook.

Lightsnake
So, if SW is a movie franchise, why there books or games? And I agree sourcebooks are overpirced, however, things still apply: We know Kadann survived now, we know of Ancient Sith like Bo vanda, Kla, Garu....and some of it has been canonized in other guides. I'll be glad to attempt to find a quote applying to the story info.

My point here is: A lot of the sourcebooks provide massive info on not so insignificant things. We now know more on the Brotherhood of Darkness, Empire, Yuuzhan Vong empire, Dark Side organizations, among others... Remember, KOTOR was considered a massive chunk of sW lore, but not everyone can pay 50 bucks for a video game

ESB - 1138
Is it me or does the EU tend to make their Sith Lords a little over powered?

ArthasKnight
EU tends to make everything over-powered.

ESB - 1138
Like Luke in the NJO series or Ragnos

ArthasKnight
Exactly.

calvin44
like poop!

Dark Aristokrat
EU whining is so cliche.

ArthasKnight
It's why I don't really read it. I haven't ready any of the NJO books, in fact anything past Darksaber, but from what I've heard Luke has been made absurdly strong past the point of belief.

Dark Aristokrat
He more or less has. But that shouldn't ruin it for everyone. The Clone Wars novels are about the most moderate forms of EU out there.

Ushgarak
This has been a very knotty problem for a long time.

Way before the prequel movies, West End Games' original Star Wars RP supplements made up huge amounts of info- with no official basis at all- to fill the continuity needed to make a cohesive Galaxy to play in.

Unfortunately, a load of technical and other similar sorucebooks- not releated to the RP- that followed simply took their information from WEG's sourcebooks, assuming that WEG had some sort of offiical information pipeline.

And of course, these sources all started to refer to each other and...

... and eventually we had a total continuity mess based off of some made-up gumf from WEG.

I would be very wary of ever letting that happen again. RPGs are your opportunity to tinker around in your own version of Star Wars. The sourcebooks help you create that. Don't let them trry and actually effect Star Wars continuity as a whole.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.