Most Unpredictable Film

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

papabeard
What is the most unpredictable film?

For me, Fight Club and The Sixth Sense.

papabeard
^^EDIT^^

Which films could you not figure out or hit you with the ole "twist ending"?

Neo_Version 7
I would seriously have to say "Saw".

GCG
Fight Club

DarkWizard
Fight Club

12 Monkeys, Seriously. I had no idea it ws him in that airport.

Cinemaddiction
"The Usual Suspects", and the great part is, you can watch it 1,000 times over, and it still doesn't get any easier to figure out.

Bardock42
Originally posted by DarkWizard
Fight Club

12 Monkeys, Seriously. I had no idea it ws him in that airport.

Luckily you are a mod and can still Spoiler Tag that.

Well probably Saw too...didn't see it coming.

Although..Sixth Sense, Fight Club and 12 Monkeys were really weird too...as well as Memento....but can't think of any others.

T.M
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
"The Usual Suspects", and the great part is, you can watch it 1,000 times over, and it still doesn't get any easier to figure out.

Agreed. I still watch the DVD now and notice things I didn't before. It's amazing.

Fight Club as well when I first saw that it was like.... "huh? I didn't see that coming"

MildPossession
Oldboy has a few things that I didn't get until the things happened.

I knew Fight Club anyway from reading the book, but still enjoyed the film. Sixth Sense, humm some moron spoilt it for me and told me the twist.

T.M
Originally posted by MildPossession
Oldboy has a few things that I didn't get until the things happened.

I knew Fight Club anyway from reading the book, but still enjoyed the film. Sixth Sense, humm some moron spoilt it for me and told me the twist.

Ditto on the Sixth Sense someone spolt it for me to.... bastards.. mad

Penfold2006
For me its definitely, From Dusk Til' Dawn. I watched not having a clue what the story was about, so I had a assumed from the start is was just a crime movie. Couldn't believe it changed halfway through but loved it.

Mišt
Originally posted by Neo_Version 7
I would seriously have to say "Saw".

Ditto. Saw 2 as well...well most of the movie was predictable, but the end...shocker...awesome.

forumcrew
Saw 2 i thought was somewhat predictable.. i knew the girl was in on it and that the cop wasnt gonna find the kid there, but i was suprised the kid was right there and the exact way it all played out was still a bit suprising.. but it had nothing on the first Saw ending which was amazing

BackFire
Se7en, Oldboy, Donnie Darko, and American History X

papabeard
I agree, Saw 2 was almost transparent.

Punker69
"Identity"

"The Sixth Sense"

Solo
Originally posted by BackFire
Se7en, Oldboy, Donnie Darko, and American History X
I agree with those four, along with Mulholland Drive.

Punker69
I still dont understand "Donnie Darko" blink

buffymitch
Wild Things that was an unpredictable movie and i agree with punker identity was a real shocker

DeVi| D0do
Agree on Donnie Darko and Wild Things, but Identity was pretty obvious to me. I think I figured that one out after I saw the trailer...

Quiero Mota
Tommy Knockers, American Me, The Villiage and Skelaton Key.

Predator was another one; when I saw it in the theater the day it came out in 1987, I was impressed. An alien that hunts humans for sport as a part of a religous rite of passage: Now that was original back in the day! Orale puez! Viva Arnold!

I think American History X was predictable.....he was avenging his brothers death. And what better way to do it than to kill the brother of you your brother's murderer. What goes around comes around, que no?

papabeard
The Wickerman

Deathblow
Originally posted by Punker69
I still dont understand "Donnie Darko" blink

It was quite unpredictable, but the ending completely clears up the entire movie, the way everything comes together so beautifully.

For me, Eraserhead, no competetion. I've only seen it once, and it gave me a migraine.

jaden101
Casshern is a very bizzare and unpredicatable ending...the explanation of the huge lighting bolt, the origin of the body parts in the neo-cell pool and the part some characters played in the background story

other unpredictable films

memento
the game
21 grams (only because of the way the scenes are cut together chronoligcally)

DiamondBullets
"Mr. Deeds" and "The 40-Year-Old Virgin" had jaw-dropping twists at the end.

Mr. Deeds-- I never woulda guessed that the Spanish butler was the old dude's son! I was certain Adam Sandler would inherit the estate!

The 40-Year-Old Virgin-- I knew he would eventually get laid, but the entire cast singing "Age of Aquarius" at the end????? Now THAT was a doozie! You CANNOT tell me you saw that coming. It was pure cinematic genius.....the main character gets some pussy and then the entire cast sings a song with him and for him! Absolute genius!

I'll bet M. Night Shamalan took notes from these 2 suprising and twisting masterpieces.

Deathblow
Originally posted by DiamondBullets
Mr. Deeds-- I never woulda guessed that the Spanish butler was the old dude's son! I was certain Adam Sandler would inherit the estate!

The fact that John Turturro actually agreed to be in that heinous excuse for a movie was twist enough for me.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Tommy Knockers, American Me, The Villiage and Skelaton Key.

Predator was another one; when I saw it in the theater the day it came out in 1987, I was impressed. An alien that hunts humans for sport as a part of a religous rite of passage: Now that was original back in the day! Orale puez! Viva Arnold!

I think American History X was predictable.....he was avenging his brothers death. And what better way to do it than to kill the brother of you your brother's murderer. What goes around comes around, que no?

Spoiler Tags are youir friend

...as for American History X are you sure that it was his Brother? I didn't notice that actually

Eis
Originally posted by Deathblow
It was quite unpredictable, but the ending completely clears up the entire movie, the way everything comes together so beautifully.

For me, Eraserhead, no competetion. I've only seen it once, and it gave me a migraine.
I thought the end was extremely predictable.

Deathblow
Congratulations.

Eis
Thank you.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Bardock42

...as for American History X are you sure that it was his Brother? I didn't notice that actually

Yes. Watch it agian, ese.

Solo
I disagree, the baby was driving him completely insane, it was only a matter of time...

But yeah, it was quite annoying.

DiamondBullets
The fact that John Turturro actually agreed to be in that heinous excuse for a movie was twist enough for me.

laughing

MildPossession
Oh I love Casshern, and the ending is wonderful. Good film.

T.M
The Forgotten (2004)

DarkWizard
Hellboy.

Mostly because I had no idea that his arm was the key to the Apocolypse.

DarkWizard
Originally posted by Bardock42

I fixed em.

DeVi| D0do
Originally posted by T.M
The Forgotten (2004)
Horrendous film.

papabeard
Gummo

T.M
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
Horrendous film.

It was, But it was unpredictable IMO

Kaleanae
Donnie Darko, Me and You and Everybody we know, Run Lola Run, American Beauty, Hole...

DarkWizard
I don't think UNBREAKABLE has been mentioned.

It was the most unpredictable of all films I have ever seen.

StinkFist462
Freddy Got Fingered

DiamondBullets
Originally posted by StinkFist462
Freddy Got Fingered

laughing

Lörd Sorgo
Se7en and SAW II.

Bardock42

papabeard
Yeah, i posted Saw 2 in the Most Predictable Film thread.

Flavio
Fight Club
The Others embarrasment
Hide and Seek

Thorin
usual suspects

Mr Parker
the most recent that comes to mind is Cellular with Kim Basinger and william macy.

faradayslaw
Unbreakable

opedreamz
i agree with unbreakable as well as arlington road

Smasandian
Alien for me.

When I first saw it, when i was a little kid, I had no idea that thing would jump out of the guys chest.
Even the actors had no idea how gruesome it was going to be.

Red Superfly
Napolean Dynamite.

I was expecting it to be funny.

"You'll love it, it's wierd AND hilarious!"

Man was I surprised.

Smasandian
Originally posted by Red Superfly
Napolean Dynamite.

I was expecting it to be funny.

"You'll love it, it's wierd AND hilarious!"

Man was I surprised.

So true.

I was waiting for the comedy. I even faked laugh a few times thinking it was funny.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Oldboy is a film with a twist that feels more organic within the film, than just a 'Hoo-haa! We got you!'-The Game/Fight Club/Haute Tension-style twist.

I also loved the subtle unpredictability of Eyes Wide Shut. It doesn't have a big-reversal moment, but rather a constant feeling of 'is this real, or is it all a dream?'.

The master of twists was Hitchcock and his best twister is probably, 'Psycho'. Honorable mention should also go to Jacob's Ladder and the original Planet of the Apes.

NPC
Angel Heart

This is probably a little known horror film with Robert De Niro in it. Very good an you never see it coming at the end. Its kinda like seven only better.

DarkWizard
Mystic River was very surprising.

VIDEODROME
Suicide Kings was a great "who dunit" movie. It's starts as a simple ransom and becomes more and more complicated.

Arachnoidfreak
Requiem For A Dream

I thought it would get happier at some point! No way! It's all one big depressing downward spiral!

Irreversible was a shocker too when you find out she was pregnant, whaa!?

Dr. Strangelove
Hoop Dreams

Real life unpredictability at its finest.

Lighthammer
Final Destination

T.M
Originally posted by Lighthammer
Final Destination

really?.....

Lighthammer
Yes, I mean by how they would die, I mean could you have come up with the way Mrs. Lewton died, I Think not.

**Gen_Thorin**
Star Wars Episode III shifty

DeVi| D0do
Final Destination is such a shit movie...

**Gen_Thorin**
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
Final Destination is such a shit movie... yep, and the other 2 sucked just as equally.

DeVi| D0do
I thought the second one was alright... it didn't take itself so seriously.

Lighthammer
It has to beserious, because hello Death is chasing after them. Oh, and it wasn't that serious. There were a a fair amount of laughs. Hello that why SWS was in it, who by the way was good in basically his only cnon comeci movie role.

DeVi| D0do
Wow, I understood exactly none of that... Anywho, my point was that the first one took itself way too seriously. It got in the way of itself. Its seriousness stopped it from being cool and fun and scary. It ended up just being pathetic. The second one knew what it wanted to be... it wasn't serious, it was funnier. And it worked much better as just a vessel to kill off teen characters is unsuspecting and funny ways. And it played on the fact that how these characters die is funny. The first one is just a horrible film which I have blocked from memory. The second is nothing special, but the death scenes are still vivid in my mind.

rockycairns
Fight Club - Brilliant film but let down by its overwhelming greed
Revolver - not a very good film which trys to be cleverer than it actually is which makes it confusing and frustrating

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.