OSCAR noms 2006

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

fini
Ahh noms are out , Lots of expected nominations and some unexpected ones. OMG Keira Knightley got a best actress nom. WOW!!
Congrats to all the nominees

WEll here's the SHORT LIST
And here's the list of all
Nominations

BEST MOTION PICTURE OF THE YEAR
BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN
CAPOTE
CRASH
GOOD NIGHT, AND GOOD LUCK.
MUNICH

ACHIEVEMENT IN DIRECTING
BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN- Ang Lee
CAPOTE- Bennett Miller
CRASH- Paul Haggis
GOOD NIGHT, AND GOOD LUCK- George Clooney
MUNICH- Steven Spielberg

PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
Philip Seymour Hoffman - CAPOTE
Terrence Howard - HUSTLE & FLOW
Heath Ledger - BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN
Joaquin Phoenix - WALK THE LINE
David Strathairn - GOOD NIGHT, AND GOOD LUCK.

PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
George Clooney - SYRIANA
Matt Dillon - CRASH
Paul Giamatti - CINDERELLA MAN
Jake Gyllenhaal - BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN
William Hurt - A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE

PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
Judi Dench - MRS. HENDERSON PRESENTS
Felicity Huffman - TRANSAMERICA
Keira Knightley - PRIDE & PREJUDICE
Charlize Theron - NORTH COUNTRY
Reese Witherspoon - WALK THE LINE

PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Amy Adams - JUNEBUG
Catherine Keener - CAPOTE
Frances McDormand - NORTH COUNTRY
Rachel Weisz - THE CONSTANT GARDENER
Michelle Williams - BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN

Bardock42
Where are Sin City and Batman Begins? Something really wrong with these so called "Awards"

fini
lol, i knew i didn't have to wait long for the " positive remarks" hehehe

Bardock42
Originally posted by fini
lol, i knew i didn't have to wait long for the " positive remarks" hehehe

What "positive remarks" were you expecting considering this Bullshit? ........you female.

Bardock42
Just one nomination sad

ACHIEVEMENT IN CINEMATOGRAPHY
BATMAN BEGINS
BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN
GOOD NIGHT, AND GOOD LUCK.
MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA
THE NEW WORLD

But a German film is nominated too...that's good...somehow.

fini
you female????

What the fock is that supposed to imply??? I'm not agreeing nor disagreeing with the nominations, just posting them up. SHEESH

Bardock42
you female????

What the fock is that supposed to imply??? I'm not agreeing nor disagreeing with the nominations, just posting them up. SHEESH
It means that you are female... no expression

I am not argueing with you..I am just stating that I find the nominations stupid....jesus.

Neo_Version 7
Yeah, where's "Batman Begins"? sad

Cinemaddiction
"Batman Begins" isn't Oscar material. It's a popcorn flick, and while it's a little more thorough and complex than most others of it's kind, it's still an action flick.

While I despise Academy Awards, it's really nice to see a shitload of Indies getting Oscar nods.

fini
TRue, it isn't oscar material.

And Bardock, you wouldn't have made that comment, if you like almost everyone didn't suddenly realise I was a girl.

Bardock42
TRue, it isn't oscar material.

And Bardock, you wouldn't have made that comment, if you like almost everyone didn't suddenly realise I was a girl.
Nah I realized it around two weeks ago..you don't remember?

I am just still baffled.

And how is Batman NOT Oscar Material...well except if you mean that the Oscars are stupid and therefore they won't pick good movies.

Well maybe this year the competition is very strong..and I haven't seen most of the movies.

WrathfulDwarf
Too much Brokeback Mountain. thumb down

Where is Doom? or Saw 2? And no War of the Worlds? Even worse they didn't nominated Deuce Bigalow Male Gigolo!

Bah! No wonder I don't pay attention to these award ceremonies.

Bardock42
I loved Doom droolio ...well that was kind of not Oscar Material though....really in this case.

fini
LOL

Bardock42
LOL
What...I did love it embarrasment....I know he was making fun of it...but it was soo enjoyable.

fini
oh well, there is no accounting for taste, hehe

so what do ya say we have a go then? lol

Time Of Evil
Originally posted by Bardock42
I loved Doom droolio ...well that was kind of not Oscar Material though....really in this case.
laughing out loud

BackFire
Excellent, Crash getting best picture nomination, first good decision the acadamy has made in some time.

Bardock42
Originally posted by BackFire
Excellent, Crash getting best picture nomination, first good decision the acadamy has made in some time.

true Crash was a good movie....now it jsut needs to win and I'm happy.

Wolfie
The Oscars are a joke. Two movies win all the awards. And there are no categories to represent the popcorn flicks.

manny321
True they can have a category for best major movie or something like that. If a big blockbusters does get nominated there ratings go up. When Return of The King won 11 oscars they had more viewers then usual.

Good that Crash shuld win atleast 2 or 3 oscars

DarkWizard
I'm Glad Crash Was Recognized.

manny321
Walk the line should have been included. That was a film that is a 100 million dollar earner at the boxoffice (which means many have seen it) and is pretty good.

DarkWizard
^Bet Actor Nom. For Phoenix.

Gregory
Batman Begins was nominated, for "Achievement in Cinemetography."

But as for it being a "popcorn flick" ... so what? Look at most of the awards--acting, costume design, special effects--what on earth does the perceived intelligence of the movie have to do with whether the acting or costume design or special effects are good? Nothing! But quality films are still often overlooked because of their percieved status, IMO.

(Walk the Line, incidently, got no less than five nominations).

Smasandian
I'm surpraised Munich got as many as it did.
I loved the film, but there has been so much controversy to it that I wouldnt be surpraised if the academy would of gone past it.

But winning them, is the different story. I see no wins for it at all.

DeVi| D0do
All this hurrah about Brokeback Mountain is actually making want to see the film to find out if it really is deserving of all the acclaim it's getting or if people are just making a big deal about it because of the subject matter and the fact that these are two straight leading hollywood men in gay roles...

Glad to see Batman nominated... that's a surprise for sure. As was seeing Crash represented as well as it is. I honestly thought it'd be snubbed.

.Dance_Inside.
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Too much Brokeback Mountain. thumb down

I agree..way too much Brokeback Mountain..I really didn't like this movie all too much erm

Myth
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
All this hurrah about Brokeback Mountain is actually making want to see the film .

Yeah sure, you just want to watch Jake and Heath get it on.

Punker69
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
"Batman Begins" isn't Oscar material. It's a popcorn flick, and while it's a little more thorough and complex than most others of it's kind, it's still an action flick.

While I despise Academy Awards, it's really nice to see a shitload of Indies getting Oscar nods.

Even though its not something the Academy would acknowledge its still "Oscar Material." It was great all around and think most people would agree on that. Stupid Award shows....

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by Wolfie
The Oscars are a joke. Two movies win all the awards. And there are no categories to represent the popcorn flicks.

That's what MTV Movie Awards are for. I highly doubt that anyone with a real talent for filmmaking wastes it in Friday night popcorn flicks.

Altar[1stONE]
Walk the Line not getting best picture nomination, very shocking. God **** CAPOTE

Fire
Cine had a point there, the MTV Movie Awards generally award pop-corn flicks. Whether or not pop-corn flicks should be represented in the oscars is a matter of taste and style. As Gregory said a pop-corn flick should be able to win awards like Costum Design and Special effects". But I think I agree with the general idea that the actors in pop-corn flicks don't put down an Oscar-winning performance.

I doubt the academy will change it's view on this any time soon.
Sometimes a half-pop-corn flick like Gladiator comes along and steals some but I wouldn't be getting your hopes up too much.

Personally I don't like half the movies that become the great Oscar winners, that's just me. That's why I like the MTV Movie awards a lot more. Oscars are great to watch and all that but Whether their decisions are correct, that's something else IMO.

Morning_Glory
I hope Phillip Seymour Hoffman wins best actor--- and hope Reese wins as well

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/sony_pictures_classics/capote/_group_photos/clifton_collins_jr_4.jpg

DarkWizard
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
"Batman Begins" isn't Oscar material. It's a popcorn flick

Personally, I don't consider it a Popcorn Flick.

I consider Doom, Transporter 2, and WotW popcorn's.

BackFire
A popcorn flick is a film with little merrit beyond special effects and simplistic entertainment. Batman Begins is more than that, but still isn't oscar material, obviously.

Morning_Glory
what category did batman begins get nominated for... i could only watch about the first 10 mins of it and i got bored embarrasment

BackFire
Cinematography.

DarkWizard
Clooney- Best supporting Actor- Syriana.

Morning_Glory
Originally posted by DarkWizard
Clooney- Best supporting Actor- Syriana.

yea... even though I liked Jake Gyllenhaal in BBM... I will be mad if he gets it...

DarkWizard
YESSS!! CAPOTE!!!!!

Morning_Glory
Reese WON! happy .. her speech was good too

fini
WOW, CRash got best picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol backfire, you got to be happy with that!!!! hehehehehe

DarkWizard
Lots of people's speeches were being cut off.

buffymitch
As I predicted from the oment I saw Crash. I t was really the best movie all year. But the show sucked as usual.

Cinemaddiction
Now they can call themselves OSCAR AWARD WINNING COMPOSERS...Three 6 Mafia.

Myth
I couldn't believe they won. That was awful. I think even Jon Stewart couldn't belive it.

papabeard
Im glad Crash won and Wallace and Gromit.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Anyone else think it's weird when the 'Best Director' and 'Best Film' awards go to different movies?

botankus
Originally posted by DarkWizard
Lots of people's speeches were being cut off.
Hell, they even cut off the Best Picture winners' speech!

Morning_Glory
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Anyone else think it's weird when the 'Best Director' and 'Best Film' awards go to different movies?

no...

Morning_Glory
Im so happy Crash won... I just knew BBM was going to win.. so it was a really good surprise, plus I thought the message and acting in Crash was a lot better happy

Eis
Originally posted by Morning_Glory
Im so happy Crash won... I just knew BBM was going to win.. so it was a really good surprise, plus I thought the message and acting in Crash was a lot better happy
I completely agree. Crash rules.

Morning_Glory
yep

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by Morning_Glory
no...

You're an expansive and interesting little lady, aren't you?

ariwin
I'm still amused by Three 6 Mafia's big win...

The Wallace and Gromit guys are totally cute...i LOVED their bow-ties.

I'm kinda meh about Crash's win -- deep down inside, I've known that it was going to win. Seems like just the type of trash that the academy would vote in.

::sigh::

I loved all the Clooney jokes, btw. His acceptance speech was so cocky, loved it.

botankus
It's too bad the first Crash didn't get a chance at best picture. You know, the softcore one with Holly Hunter, Rosanna Arquette, Deborah Kara Unger, and James Spader running around doing each other at accident sites. Now that would have caused some controversy at the Academy!

MildPossession
Just happy Weisz won her Oscar for Constant Gardener.

Myth
I hated Constant Gardner no expression

BackFire
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo

Yeah, it is wierd. It's a very very rare thing, actually.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.