'Best' Movie Guide of 2006? Hell no.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DarkWizard
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/6918/imga04558yv.th.jpg

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/231/imga04568nr.th.jpg

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/2424/imga04541tr.th.jpg

This Film Guide claims to be the "Best" of the "Best". I was rather interested, so I bought it, and began to peek at a few great films I know, to see if it shares around the same opinion of myself. So, Lets see the VERY badly rated films that they discussed.

Equilibrium - *** out of *****, Should be a ****1/2 AT LEAST!
Fight Club - * out of *****. No words can be expressed.
Requiem For a Dream - **1/2 out of *****
Crash '05 *** out of *****....... TERRIBLE rating.
The Good the bad and the ugly - **** out of *****. Not really bad, but it deserves a 5 IMO.
The Shining - **1/2 out of *****. Another terrible rating.

My advice to the Progressing Film Viewers out there, DO NOT get this book, and go by its ratings.

DISCUSS!

Wolfie
While all the ratings you mentioned are bad, the Fight Club rating just astounds me.

DarkWizard
The Caption Below the rating reads:

"If Director David Fincher and screenwriter Jim Uhis intended to make us believe that we haven't advanced a jot from the putrescent slime that once may have spawned mankind, they succeeded brilliantly. This appalling, grotesque, and interminable endurance test is a fairy tale fiction for serial killers, imbeciles who succumb to road rage, and frustrated white guys; all the morons who seek excuses to justify their increasingly bad behavior and hair-trigger tempers. Proceed with caution. Rated R for Profanity, Violence, torture, nudity, and sexual content."

Solo
Equilibrium and Fight Club are pretty overrated. The reviews are fair.

DeVi| D0do
Originally posted by Solo
Equilibrium and Fight Club are pretty overrated.
Granted, but one star out of five?!? That's ludicrous.

Solo
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
Granted, but one star out of five?!? That's ludicrous.
To me, Fight Club gets worse every time I see it. I mean, yeah, it's definitely a great movie, but Fight Club is on the majority of people's 'Top 20' lists nowadays, which is ridiculous.

forumcrew
Crash should be 5 out of 5 bottom line

Mišt
I never listen to critics. I can make my own mind up about a movie thanks. Most critics gave Matrix Revolutions shit scores, I love it regardless of what anyone thinks.

I would have given Equilibrium at least 4 * though....it was pretty average in some parts when it could have been better, but it wasnt that bad.

Solo
Originally posted by forumcrew
Crash should be 5 out of 5 bottom line
For sure.

Makedde
IMO, Requiem For A Dream should be rated only one star, I have this movie, and it's a load of rubbish.

DeVi| D0do
I thought it was brilliant!

Makedde
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
I thought it was brilliant!

I understood none of it. sad

DarkWizard
That 99.9% of the viewers reasons for hating an acclaimed film.

Smasandian
People have opinions on movies.

I didnt like Requim for a Dream. I thought it was pretentious and over edited.

I also didnt like Fight Club. I liked the first part of the movie, but the whole mayhem deal, I didnt like.

I definitly dont agree on thier rating of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. I still think its the best Western out there.

Dr. Strangelove
I guess I'm the only one on this site who thinks Crash is overrated...

Fight Club getting one star is stupid. I'm not a huge fan of the film, but it is still pretty good.

Mišt
Does the magazine have comments and so on or just ratings? What did they say about each film?

Wolfie
Originally posted by Makedde
I understood none of it. sad
What's not to understand about Requiem for a Dream? I found it pretty straight-forward.

DarkWizard

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.