Comic Book Lawsuits

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lighthammer
Just wondering if you think of anyccharacters from either DC or Marvel that yu think are just cops of the others character. I personnaly think that DC should take some action over Captain Mavrel. I mean come on. The only reason that Ccaptain Marr-vell has a hypyhen throughit is just so that thee can use the name Captain Marvel but get away with it. That's kinda like this story I heard wrere this college that The NCAA was aking to change its name got to keep its name by changing it from Redmen to Red Men.

Black Adam
I heard DC lost the rights to use Captain marvel name. Marvel took it.

But then you have the whole thing that they Dc can't use Captain marvel on the title but they can use it inside the book.

I'm confused. Can Someone who knows more about it help clear it up?

Lighthammer
I don't et how they lost seeing as they had it first and I think that Captain Marvel came around before the the Marvel Comics even started.

Black Adam
Originally posted by Lighthammer
I don't et how they lost seeing as they had it first and I think that Captain Marvel came around before the the Marvel Comics even started.

They lost the rights. Thats all I heard. Thats how Marvel is able to use Captain Marvel now instead of having to seperate Mar-vel.

Gregory
Captain Marvel was created by Fawcett; DC sued him, saying that Captain Marvel was so similar to Superman that it consitituted copywrite infringement. They won, and Fawcett stopped using Captain Marvel. For a while, that was it.

Then Marvel came along and created their own Captain Marvel. He ended up dying of cancer, and I think he's still dead; he's not important, except that Marvel now owned the rights to using "Captain Marvel" as a book title. So when DC bought the rights to Fawcett's Captain Marvel from Fawcett, they couldn't title their book that; they used SHAZAM instead.

Black Adam
Originally posted by Gregory
Captain Marvel was created by Fawcett; DC sued him, saying that Captain Marvel was so similar to Superman that it consitituted copywrite infringement. They won, and Fawcett stopped using Captain Marvel. For a while, that was it.

Then Marvel came along and created their own Captain Marvel. He ended up dying of cancer, and I think he's still dead; he's not important, except that Marvel now owned the rights to using "Captain Marvel" as a book title. So when DC bought the rights to Fawcett's Captain Marvel from Fawcett, they couldn't title their book that; they used SHAZAM instead.

Thanks.

ScarletSpider
http://briefs.toddverbeek.com/archives/000064.html

That explains it pretty well. DC has the copyright to what was once the Fawcett Captain Marvel, but they went too long without using the name and logo that the TRADEMARK was up for grabs. So Marvel created Captain Mar-Vell, published his book as Captain Marvel and now they own the trademark for X amount of years. Every certain number of years trademarks elapse--they have to be kept in use or else they go back up for grabs. Anyways, the link explains it.

Sir Whirlysplat
Most famous comic lawsuits all involve "honest" Todd Macfarlane laughing out loud

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.