thanos v thor w/belt of strength: fist fight only!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

leonidas
so, who takes it? oh, and in case anyone is wondering about this thread, slade10 apparently thinks thanos destroys him because he believes thanos is ONE HUNDRED TIMES STRONGER (at least!) than thor!

personally i think it's a great fight. curious what others think. i give a slight edge to thanos because the durability factor but think the strength levels are very close.

for those who don't know: the belt effectively DOUBLES thor's strength. (so even with his belt thanos is FIFTY TIMES stronger than thor??!) confused

ps: two can play this silly little game . . . laughing out loud

roughrider
This kind of match, these conditions, Thor wins. But it would go a long time, because Thanos is so durable.

leonidas
Originally posted by roughrider
This kind of match, these conditions, Thor wins. But it would go a long time, because Thanos is so durable.

hmmm . . . shifty

GODSCRIBE
Thanos has fought both Drax and Thor with the power gems in case you've forgotten. Belt of strength or not, he goes down hard.

spideycarnage
i think thor can pull a win off essecially since its a fist fight.

leonidas
Originally posted by GODSCRIBE
Thanos has fought both Drax and Thor with the power gems in case you've forgotten. Belt of strength or not, he goes down hard.

and? confused

leonidas
don't forget, prof hulk stalemated drax with the gem. not much of a feat.

golem370
Thats because Drax was just playing with Hulk If they were really fighting Drax would have crushed him. Even Hulk said Drax is easily as strong or stronger then him Drax the destroyer was like 20 times more powerful then Professor Hulk

golem370
On a regular bases Thanos is at least a few times stronger then Thor and alot more skilled then him to Thanos wins 8/10 times

Acrosurge
Thanos has fought both Drax and Thor with the power gems in case you've forgotten. Belt of strength or not, he goes down hard. Co-signed. Thanos is a physical beast.

leonidas
<<Drax the destroyer was like 20 times more powerful then Professor Hulk>>

laughing

you sound like slade arbitrarily quantifying strength levels. 20x stronger than prof, eh? didn't look like it in their fight . . . prof took the whole thing as a joke as well. what possible proof can you offer to back up the idea that drax is 20x stronger than hulk??

this forum just gets crzier and crazier. can someone with sense PLEASE crime in!!

crazy

golem370
mad

I have the book and The Hulk says here he comes for another shot at me. Drax the Destroyer had the power gem which makes him more powerful then Professor Hulk DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for one thing professor Hulk is one of the weaker versions of the Hulk case & point Professor Hulk telling Jean Grey to turn off the banner part of himself when fighting Onslaught. Now Savage Hulk or Mindless Hulk may yes I say may rival Drax with the power gem................

leonidas
laughing

sorry golem, didnt' mean to insult you. i know prof is weak, that's why him stalemating drax is such a poor showing for drax. and if drax WAS 20x stronger, he'd have been killing hulk easily, not being stalemated.

back to the topic . . .

GODSCRIBE
Originally posted by leonidas
and? confused

power gem>belt of strength

thats what.

golem370
Drax was playing with Hulk he even said are we done playing and in fact in another warlock the Infinity Watch Gamora said Maxam was tested against Drax saying he was around Draxs none enraged state which would have to him in the Hulks strength range.

leonidas
power gem>belt of strength

thats what.

maybe. maybe even probable. but . . . proof?

golem370
It was in the Infinity Watch with The Goddess in it.

leonidas
blink

GODSCRIBE

The belt of strength doubles Thor's power.....while the power gem gives you potentially INCALCULABLE strength.

Thats why they are called the INFINITY gems in the first place...they enhance each specific power to unkown magnitude. Their limit is only determined by the wielders experience with the gem. So depending on ones experience you may jump from being as strong as Thing to being as strong as Supes. Having multiple gems makes all that easier.

Sixth_Winged
Double strength thor is still quite inferior to Thanos who has dealt already with the 2 powergem wielder and taking the fight to them making them look like idiots with shiny jellybeans in their forehead.

GODSCRIBE
haha

well said.

slade10

Strange stated that a team including himself, surfer, brb, and the infinity watch had no chance against thor boosted by the power gem; he was subsequently proven correct when thor 1-shotted every member of the team, including warlock and strange SIMULTANEOUSLY.

Thanos used the power gem to kill an elder of the universe in an instant.

Odin stated that thor with the power gem would destroy asgard and the nine worlds, including himself. And decided that his own son should be DESTROYED to prevent that from happening.

You think an asgardian trinket compares to an artifact of INFINITE power that predates the universe? You think Odin would be frightened of an artifact even CLOSE to as weak as the belt of strength?

The belt of strength grants 2x strength. The uni-power grants 50x. The power gem grants INFINITE strength. They don't say 2x; they don't say 50x; they say INFINITE.

Thanos was beating thor with the power gem AND warrior madness. He KILLS thor with the belt of strength, just as he has on every other occasion they've fought.

slade10
<<Drax the destroyer was like 20 times more powerful then Professor Hulk>>

laughing

you sound like slade arbitrarily quantifying strength levels. 20x stronger than prof, eh? didn't look like it in their fight . . . prof took the whole thing as a joke as well. what possible proof can you offer to back up the idea that drax is 20x stronger than hulk??

this forum just gets crzier and crazier. can someone with sense PLEASE crime in!!

crazy

How are my opinions "arbitrary"? You have an opinion just as I do. (power gem ~ 2x stregnth) The difference is my opinion squares with marvel's. Yours is just your own.

Power gem users have high showings and low showings. The low showings almost invariably involve:

1. Losing the gem
2. A being of low intelligence
3. A being who otherwise is unfamiliar with magical/cosmic artifacts, e.g. titania

Note that 3 is very different from saying the power gem is hard to tap, or requires experience. Thanos and thor both tapped the power gem immediately because they are familiar with powerful artifcats.

A gun is not hard to use for anyone familiar with firearms. But if you took a gun back to the middle ages, people would be befuddled.

leonidas
Originally posted by slade10
Strange stated that a team including himself, surfer, brb, and the infinity watch had no chance against thor boosted by the power gem; he was subsequently proven correct when thor 1-shotted every member of the team, including warlock and strange SIMULTANEOUSLY.

Odin stated that thor with the power gem would destroy asgard and the nine worlds, including himself. And decided that his own son should be DESTROYED to prevent that from happening.

You think an asgardian trinket compares to an artifact of INFINITE power that predates the universe? You think Odin would be frightened of an artifact even CLOSE to as weak as the belt of strength?

The belt of strength grants 2x strength. The uni-power grants 50x. The power gem grants INFINITE strength. They don't say 2x; they don't say 50x; they say INFINITE.

Thanos was beating thor with the power gem AND warrior madness. He KILLS thor with the belt of strength, just as he has on every other occasion they've fought.

you crack me up. you're now saying that 100x isn't arbitrary, eh, that your little calculations are what, 'scientific'?? laughing out loud and that it is in line with 'marvel's' what, opinion of how strong thanos is? oh, yah, i'm sure any editor would say that thanos is 100x thor's strength. you're little comparison earlier about thanos v the jla was genius when he was also about equal to darkseid in that whole thing. darkseid, whom supes beat down. and superman and thor are about equal. so let me guess, now thanos is what, 100x as strong as superman too, right?! and darkseid obviously.

infinite power, blah blah blah. scales of infinity. adam's gem is an infinity gem and he cannot even AFFECT galactus! but, he's experienced? he's even had them all! and it's . . . infinite. moondragon and thanos were tossed out of g's mind on their asses -- but she had the mind gem. it's infinite, isn't it? and she's experienced. she's not insane. she's not stupid. then how--? oh yah -- the gems are overrated. always an excuse for it's user -- stupid, inexperienced, insane . . . whatever. no one has used the individual gems to do jack. the avengers beat the watch, as have many others. maybe it IS powerful. no feats (aside from the drax/champ) back it up.

and what the HELL are you talking about with odin wanting to kill thor? odin wanted to destroy thor because he feared the madness he had would spread to other asgardians! you know, like mad cow. had NOTHING to do with his 'fear' of the gem. ridiculous.

and what elder did he kill with the gem? in quest he used the gems he took to kill the elders. space to deal with runner. time to deal with gardner. etc . . .

as for this:

<<Double strength thor is still quite inferior to Thanos who has dealt already with the 2 powergem wielder and taking the fight to them making them look like idiots with shiny jellybeans in their forehead.>>

that indictment hardly paints a good picture of the gems' 'infinite' powers . . .

to recap -- thanos is obviously still 100x (at least) stronger than thor, superman and darkseid. guess he could destroy all 3 simultaneously in a fist fight then.

the gem can potentially make someone stronger (give them 'infinite' strength') than the belt, but only if they are not stupid, insane or have had a lot of time to get used to it, or are used to artifacts already. that about right?

odin did not 'fear' the gem, he feared the spread of madness.

lastly, in thor #25, thanos had captured the stone of illumination and was granted 'all-power' -- power odin actually DID fear. thanos effortlessly destroyed a world with it. his own power was augmented TREMENDOUSLY! let's call it . . . 1000x?

anyway, thor fought and DEFEATED him with a shield, an increased-in-power hammer and his belt. he stood for a prolonged length of time toe-to-toe with an augmented thanos trading punch for punch after his shield was destroyed and finally ko'd his arse. the belt amped him enough to stand h2h with an AUGMENTED thanos. thor never even used power from his hammer -- he fought 'blow for blow as warriors should'.

by your reasoning, this thor should have been obliterated by even regular thanos! this was later retconned to a clone, but his clones are the exact same as he is, so it doesn' matter much.

100x stronger?? ZERO chance. in their one meeting where thor had it and thanos was amped, thor beat him UNCONSCIOUS PHYSICALLY.

oh yah, thanos would KILL him . . . roll eyes (sarcastic)

xmarksthespot

Warmonger
The Magus once created a clone of Thanos and imbued it with even greater power than Thanos, but Thanos was able to destroy it in battle.

Thanos has faced CL100s in pairs. Thing and THor Drax and Hulk and has been able to best or hold his own.

Thanos faced of against Champion a being weilding the Power Gem allowing him infinite strentgh and Thanos showed his superior fighting skills. (Even though Champion should have put up a better fight)

Even with even strentgh Thanos is probably his superior in fighting and definetly in terms of Durability. When Thor was able to negate Juggernaut's durability he was still getting whuped.

So Thanos is still a better fighter. More durable, probably much more.

jrodslam
I always seemed to think that the gem(s) enhanced ones attribute. For example if Daredevil had the power gem his strength would be increased and COULD continue to increase if used properly. Unless as soon as Daredevil gets it, he automatically has power infinte and instantly becomes stronger than everyone in the MU? Theres this one character who has infinite strength. His name is the Hulk. Hulk doesnt just have strength out the yin yang, he has to constantly raise up his levels to become stronger. I thought thats how a gem worked. I could be wrong.

Now with Thanos being 100x stronger than Thor, i think its a miscalculation. Hes hella durable imo to take the punishment from Odin like he did, but thats nothing to do with strength. What would make Thanos 100x stronger than Thor? Where was that conclusion brought from?

leonidas

leonidas
Originally posted by Warmonger
The Magus once created a clone of Thanos and imbued it with even greater power than Thanos, but Thanos was able to destroy it in battle.

Thanos has faced CL100s in pairs. Thing and THor Drax and Hulk and has been able to best or hold his own.

Thanos faced of against Champion a being weilding the Power Gem allowing him infinite strentgh and Thanos showed his superior fighting skills. (Even though Champion should have put up a better fight)

Even with even strentgh Thanos is probably his superior in fighting and definetly in terms of Durability. When Thor was able to negate Juggernaut's durability he was still getting whuped.

So Thanos is still a better fighter. More durable, probably much more.

thing and thor were getting the better of him )scan in warrior thor v immortal hercules thread probably one page back)

once thor negated juggs shield, thor was ready to ko him and would have had he not been ready to change to blake.

skills are likely comparable. thanos IS far more durable, but 100x as strong??

NO WAY IN HELL.

Warmonger
Huh? I never said anything like that. I mean the only way you can even slap a number on Thanos's strengh is to find out the Limit of Thor's and no one even knows what that is. Even If I did 100? That is crazy.

Warmonger
thing and thor were getting the better of him )scan in warrior thor v immortal hercules thread probably one page back)

once thor negated juggs shield, thor was ready to ko him and would have had he not been ready to change to blake.

skills are likely comparable. thanos IS far more durable, but 100x as strong??

NO WAY IN HELL.

What do you mean, he smoked them. They had a seeming uperhand but they hadn't really seemd to inflict any damage.

Thor was not ready to K.O Juggs certainly not after Juggernaut smashed him with that pillar. Maybe had the fight continued to its conlcusion you can say but they were still trading blows more or less until the spell stopped.

snoopdogg
Thanos 100x stronger than Thor?laughing

WTF is the world come too. There is no proof of that in bios or better yet in comics to prove that point.

leonidas
smoked them? i said they physically had the upperhand. the 100x thing was for someone else. sorry.

i could show you scans of thor/juggs, though i know they are already around somewhere. thor has him against the wall, juggs is beaten and thor is ready to finish him. check it out again. you ARE talking about the one where thor cut him off from his power, right?

The Ion
Originally posted by snoopdogg

WTF is the world come too. There is no proof of that in bios or better yet in comics to prove that point.
Yeah but to be fair, theres only one person on this forum who believes Thanos is that strong. I can definitely see that spreading though. sad

leonidas

amen, brother . . .

leonidas
Originally posted by The Ion
Yeah but to be fair, theres only one person on this forum who believes Thanos is that strong. I can definitely see that spreading though. sad

laughing out loud

damn, FINALLY some sense in this joint! i was starting to think it was just me!! eek!

golem370
Thanos is a greater fighter then Thor could ever be.

golem370
Thanos went toe to toe with mad warrior Thor who is 10 times more powerful the regular "Strength level: Thor possesses staggering superhuman strength, allowing him to lift (press) over 100 tons. If Thor chooses to enter a berserker state, his strength increases by a factor of ten? ^

golem370
Also remember that Thor also had the power gem as well.

leonidas
never proven warrior is 10x stronger. stop quoting bios.

golem370
Stop telling me what to do.

The Ion
laughing

golem370
What are you laughing about Ion???????

leonidas
laughing laughing

golem, i luv ya, seriously. stop taking things so personal. just yanking your chain . . .

bios are notoriously inaccurate though . . .

golem370
beer

leonidas
cheers

Juntai

WTF is the world come too. There is no proof of that in bios or better yet in comics to prove that point. lol

joesha28

Hmmm..beating Thor? Was he? The last time i read those scans Thanos was holding onto Mad Thor w/power gem...a feat that shld be in the Thanos respect thread. But the outcome was Thanos was bleeding after the fight..so he simply caged Thor. But said that Thor would break free and KILL THEM ALL!!!

jrodslam
Originally posted by joesha28
But said that Thor would break free and KILL THEM ALL!!!

Thats saying alot for someone who cant be killed, ehh?

joesha28
Yeah...which says alot why the mad Titan did not want a prolonged battle.

GODSCRIBE

infinite power, blah blah blah. scales of infinity. adam's gem is an infinity gem and he cannot even AFFECT galactus ! but, he's experienced? he's even had them all! and it's . . . infinite. moondragon and thanos were tossed out of g's mind on their asses -- but she had the mind gem. it's infinite, isn't it? and she's experienced. she's not insane. she's not stupid. then how--? oh yah -- the gems are overrated. always an excuse for it's user -- stupid, inexperienced, insane . . . whatever. no one has used the individual gems to do jack. the avengers beat the watch, as have many others. maybe it IS powerful. no feats (aside from the drax/champ) back it up.

yeah, i hope that helps a little. you ****ing idiot. lol

jk, but i hope it helps.

leonidas
yeah, i hope that helps a little. you ****ing idiot. lol

jk, but i hope it helps.

my, aren't we the articulate one. my favourite thing in these forums is when you call someone on something -- like i did you when i asked for proof of feats from the gem -- and they resort to insults to draw away from the initial issue because they know they were owned by the question.

as i recall, this was your initial point:

<<power gem>belt of strength

thats what.>>

brilliant.

laughing

oh, and genius, i said the gem was potentially more powerful -- it's just never really been shown.

laughing

leonidas
Originally posted by Juntai
lol

lol, indeed.

laughing out loud

Juntai
Well Thanos would win in a fight, sure, he's more POWERFUL...

but to claim that he's physically stronger is presumtious at best until someone can come and prove it. In Thanos Quest 1, he alluded to Champion being stronger than him and defeated him through power and intelligence advantage, and then after that fight said he can only hope that he'd never meet Hulk in a physical combat.

leonidas
Originally posted by Juntai
Well Thanos would win in a fight, sure, he's more POWERFUL...

but to claim that he's physically stronger is presumtious at best until someone can come and prove it. In Thanos Quest 1, he alluded to Champion being stronger than him and defeated him through power and intelligence advantage, and then after that fight said he can only hope that he'd never meet Hulk in a physical combat.

my point exactly. i never claimed thor would win a fight. the whole point of this 3-day-long debacle, has been to say that thanos is NOT 100x stronger than thor, and the very idea is ridiculous.

i might even go as far as to say thanos might beat thor in a fist fight even if thor HAD the belt, but i happen to think it would be a great fight, and it could go either way. to say someone is more than 2x as strong as thor is really saying something considering some of thor's feats . . . to say they are 100x, and claim that it is in line with marvel's depiction of thanos, is . . . unbelieveable . . .

Mider
the power gem is more powerful then this belt of strengh when the champion had it he destroyed a planet with a single punch even though his fighting style was crap which is why he lost. but yeah the whole gem things each alone seems to be rather useless since warlock has to be careful using it, and moondragon cant even controll silver surfer, Darkseid should never have been beaten down by Supes thats just rediculous that he was in other showing Darkseid has been said to be able to kill supes in a sec if he really wanted to which is plosable before they turned darkseid to jobberseid.

Juntai
my point exactly. i never claimed thor would win a fight. the whole point of this 3-day-long debacle, has been to say that thanos is NOT 100x stronger than thor, and the very idea is ridiculous.

i might even go as far as to say thanos might beat thor in a fist fight even if thor HAD the belt, but i happen to think it would be a great fight, and it could go either way. to say someone is more than 2x as strong as thor is really saying something considering some of thor's feats . . . Thanos would win because his defense/resistance is second to none. He can take more punishment than all but few beings in existance and keep going.

leonidas
you may very well be right, but again it's more because his durability lets him absorb punishment. strength wise the difference i don't think would be very great. and there is no way one can say thanos is ONE HUNDRED TIMES stronger than thor . . .

Juntai
you may very well be right, but again it's more because his durability lets him absorb punishment. strength wise the difference i don't think would be very great. and there is no way one can say thanos is ONE HUNDRED TIMES stronger than thor . . . Yep, simply not provable, but by suggestion and mentioned earlier, Thanos didn't think of himself as stronger than Hulk or Champion in Thanos Quest. That should be a clue.

leonidas
you'd think . . . but apparently not, as the last 3 days have showed . . .

sad

slade10
you crack me up. you're now saying that 100x isn't arbitrary, eh, that your little calculations are what, 'scientific'?? laughing out loud and that it is in line with 'marvel's' what, opinion of how strong thanos is? oh, yah, i'm sure any editor would say that thanos is 100x thor's strength. you're little comparison earlier about thanos v the jla was genius when he was also about equal to darkseid in that whole thing. darkseid, whom supes beat down. and superman and thor are about equal. so let me guess, now thanos is what, 100x as strong as superman too, right?! and darkseid obviously.

You know, I'm getting really tired of this "crack me up", "arbitrary", "factual error", etc. garbage when you're the one who has been caught making facts up whole cloth.

1. Thor is warrior madness is 10x strength. See here, from Thor 502:

http://img30.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc75&image=03563_Thor_502__01.jpg

A good source from another board, who knows thor inside and out, has indicated to me that there are other occasions where this figure has been cited in comics. But I haven't found these because I don't have the physical comics, and I lost my scan collection due to hd failure. (and don't have issue #s in any event, so it woudl take a while) But since he helped me find this one, I'm assuming he's right about these other instances as well.

All editions of marvel handbooks that mention warrior madness also cite the same 10x figure.

Thanos fought warrior madness thor with the power gem to a standstill. Say the power gem is as weak as the belt of strenght. That means thanos is at least 20x.

Of course, the power gem is not as weak as the belt of strenght. It is the most powerful strength-boosting artifact in the marvel universe, and has been described as such. I would say it boosts AT LEAST as much as the uni-power (50x). Which would make power-gem warrior madness thor a whopping 1000x his normal strength. Thanos fought this version of thor to a stand-still, and imo, was clearly getting the better of the physical fight. (He admitted he would have been defeated eventually, but the power gem grants infinite endurance, so this is unsurprising, as even thanos' endurance has limits.) Which makes 100x a conservative guess.

I've outlined my method of estimating strength. You, on the other hand, simply keep saying "but thor is really strong", and citing scans where thanos is hit in the back, or defeating enemies with dimension-destroying punches such as an x-man-boosted hulk.

Who's being "arbitrary", now?

Now, one might ask, if wm thor w/ power gem is 1000x, why doesn't he decapitate silver surfer, etc in one blow? Because it's a comic. And in comics, vast increases in strength that would be decisive in the real world lead to small increases in combat effectiveness. Again, superman is probably trillions of times stronger than batman. But batman has survived bloodlusted blows with nothing worse than a KO. Thanos himself has floored a well-fed galactus with a cosmic blast -- yet galactus is probably at least 100x thanos power, probably much more when well fed.

It's worth noting, moreover, that WM thor without the power gem was having a tough time against SS and BRB individually. With the power gem, he outclassed both of those, the infinity watch, and Dr. Strange. Strange concedes even before the fight they have no chance, and surfer states that with the power gem, thor will destroy the nine worlds. (I confused this with a statement by odin; my mistake.)

2. You're citing tough battles with galactus as evidence of the infinity gems' weakness? Do you know how absurd that is?

3. He killed the gardener instantly with the power gem, iirc. He beat runner with the time gem.

4. Thor boosted by the odin force and the belt of strength fighting for his life against a WEAK THANOS CLONE, is an indication of thanos' weakness?

5. I've noticed a clear DC bias on these boards. That's fine. I like DC comics more than Marvel. But it's ridiculous when people make assertions (WM thor is not a real strength boost, the belt of strength is weaker than the power gem) that have no basis in the handbooks, in comics, in anything but their own imagination. If you're speculating, or stating an opinion, or asserting your own view of what a character SHOUDL BE, make that clear. And if you don't have knowledge about a character, make that clear.

6. One elemtn of this dispute is surely people's perception of the relevance of an x% boost in strength. In my view, 2x is paltry. You frequently see characters with hundreds thousands, millions of times more strength having trouble with weaker opponents. Adam Warlock is one of the best physical fighters in the universe, and he can press < 100 tons.

There are two intepretive approaches one can take to this:

A. Say that the comics are all wrong, and that we should inject real world comparisons into a fantasy world. Cite PIS for any inconsistencies.

B. Accept fantasy as fantasy. And "consistent inconsistencies" as consistency. So when normal-strength characters such as wolverine, batman, or captain america regularly survive vastly more powerful heavy-weights, there's no PIS/CIS problem.

I take the second interpretive strategy. ANd I think it's consistent with the way comics should be understood. Kurse 2x was having a tough fight with thor. WM thor 10x was having tough fights with surfer and bill. Would this be the case in reality? No. But you know, super powers are not reality. They are a world of hyperbole and fantasy.

In short, the other problem here is that we're talking over each others heads. 100x seems massive to you. Not so big to me (and importantly, for the authors of the comics themselves).

Even in the real world, however, you're overestimating the importance of strength multiples. A massively strong normal human (say, 400 lpbs bench) will still lose a fight with two normal strength humans (say, 200 lpbs bench -- yes, I know that's high) badly. He will hurt one or both of them, in all likelihood. But getting double-teamed effectively amplifies one's opponent's strength considerably. Try a 2on1 boxing match if you don't believe me.

leonidas
<<You know, I'm getting really tired of this "crack me up", "arbitrary", "factual error", etc. garbage when you're the one who has been caught making facts up whole cloth.

1. Thor is warrior madness is 10x strength. See here, from Thor 502:

http://img30.imagevenue.com/img.php...hor_502__01.jpg

A good source from another board, who knows thor inside and out, has indicated to me that there are other occasions where this figure has been cited in comics. But I haven't found these because I don't have the physical comics, and I lost my scan collection due to hd failure. (and don't have issue #s in any event, so it woudl take a while) But since he helped me find this one, I'm assuming he's right about these other instances as well. >>

cool. good job on the scan. i asked for proof, you found it. that's all i was looking for.

<<I've outlined my method of estimating strength. You, on the other hand, simply keep saying "but thor is really strong", and citing scans where thanos is hit in the back, or defeating enemies with dimension-destroying punches such as an x-man-boosted hulk.

Who's being "arbitrary", now?>>

hit in the back? dimension-destroying punches? you mean where nate amped hulk? they destroyed dimensions??

<<2. You're citing tough battles with galactus as evidence of the infinity gems' weakness? Do you know how absurd that is?>>

you're the one who keeps saying they are 'infinitely powerful', not me. why would the opponent matter? thor has driven g off, but at least one gem is nothing to him.

<<3. He killed the gardener instantly with the power gem, iirc. He beat runner with the time gem. >>

gardner was time, runner was space. still no massive feats for the power gem no matter who wields it.

<<4. Thor boosted by the odin force and the belt of strength fighting for his life against a WEAK THANOS CLONE, is an indication of thanos' weakness?>>

weak thanos clone? before the retcon he WAS thanos. weak? he stormed asgard, got the stone and had more power presumeably than ODIN. and thor fought him h2h and ko'd him with the belt!

<<B. Accept fantasy as fantasy. And "consistent inconsistencies" as consistency. So when normal-strength characters such as wolverine, batman, or captain america regularly survive vastly more powerful heavy-weights, there's no PIS/CIS problem.>>

that's exactly the view i tend to take. however it is FAR from consistent that a bloodlusted supes punches freely on bats and he lives . . ..

as for the rest: the magnitude of 100x is vast when you're dealing with characters on the level we are. to say someone is 10x stronger than me so can lift 2000lbs is one thing, to say you're 100x stronger than a character that can lift planetary level objects (immortal herc, supposedly) is too much. so thor and supes about equal. thor has lifted the midgard serpent, supes has many feats of similar stature. thanos is 100x stronger than these beings??

you did a good job outlining your case, but 100x is still too much.

leonidas
oh, and what exactly did i 'make up' again . . . confused

slade10
No, those are the gems HELD by the elders. Thanos used the power gem on gardener and killed him (at least seemingly) by spiraling his power out of control. He then used the time gem to turn runner into a baby.

Thor was boosted by the odinforce, yes? not just the belt.

And you aren't clear about this hulk example. I'm assuming this is the time thanos is trapped in some dimensional pocket, and hulk busts him loose by breaking the barrier between dimensions.

leonidas
No, those are the gems HELD by the elders. Thanos used the power gem on gardener and killed him (at least seemingly) by spiraling his power out of control. He then used the time gem to turn runner into a baby.

i'll double check. you may be right, but i'm pretty sure he used their own gems against them . . .

Avalonofthewind
Thanos is not 100x stronger than Thor.
His durability is great, but fighting Warrior Thor is hardly a strength feat.
He took some hits and lived, which is what Thanos is about.

slade10
Originally posted by Avalonofthewind
Thanos is not 100x stronger than Thor.
His durability is great, but fighting Warrior Thor is hardly a strength feat.
He took some hits and lived, which is what Thanos is about.

Um, thanos smacked him around when everyone else who fought him -- including thor+ heros such as surfer, strange, infinity watch -- could not harm him. In fact, they were all 1-shotted.

Avalonofthewind
Um, thanos smacked him around when everyone else who fought him -- including thor+ heros such as surfer, strange, infinity watch -- could not harm him. In fact, they were all 1-shotted.

Umm.. How much the Thor weigh? It's not out of the question that he could still get knocked around. Does the Gem give infinite mass & weight as well? All the fight proves is that Thanos can take punishment well.

That ridiculous fight was PIS if I've even seen any...
A forcefield gun is more powerful that Strange, SS, and the infinity watch? I'll remember that in future debates...since technically the Gun won the battle.

Forcefield gun > Power gem/infinity watch/SS/Thanos/Strange

smile

slade10
Umm.. How much the Thor weigh? It's not out of the question that he could still get knocked around. Does the Gem give infinite mass & weight as well? All the fight proves is that Thanos can take punishment well.

That ridiculous fight was PIS if I've even seen any...
A forcefield gun is more powerful that Strange, SS, and the infinity watch? I'll remember that in future debates...since technically the Gun won the battle.

Forcefield gun > Power gem/infinity watch/SS/Thanos/Strange

smile

He was hurting him. Not just moving him.

http://img22.imagevenue.com/loc24/th_601c1_Silver_Surfer_v3_088_03_04.jpghttp://img121.imagevenue.com/loc24/th_0355c_Silver_Surfer_v3_088_08.jpghttp://img21.imagevenue.com/loc24/th_a20ad_Silver_Surfer_v3_088_13.jpghttp://img41.imagevenue.com/loc24/th_d06a6_Silver_Surfer_v3_088_14.jpg
http://img106.imagevenue.com/loc24/th_872c6_Silver_Surfer_v3_088_15.jpg

Avalonofthewind
He was hurting him. Not just moving him.

http://img22.imagevenue.com/loc24/th_601c1_Silver_Surfer_v3_088_03_04.jpghttp://img121.imagevenue.com/loc24/th_0355c_Silver_Surfer_v3_088_08.jpghttp://img21.imagevenue.com/loc24/th_a20ad_Silver_Surfer_v3_088_13.jpghttp://img41.imagevenue.com/loc24/th_d06a6_Silver_Surfer_v3_088_14.jpg
http://img106.imagevenue.com/loc24/th_872c6_Silver_Surfer_v3_088_15.jpg

Thanks, you saved me the trouble of having to look for it.
He moved him...there was no "ouch" or bruising on Thor. On the other hand, for Thanos...

http://img106.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc24&image=872c6_Silver_Surfer_v3_088_15.jpg

This still does not disprove that Forcefield gun > Power gem/infinity watch/SS/Thanos/Strange. The Gun won the battle.

slade10
He moved him...there was no "ouch" or bruising on Thor. On the other hand, for Thanos...

http://img106.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc24&image=872c6_Silver_Surfer_v3_088_15.jpg

This still does not disprove that Forcefield gun > Power gem/infinity watch/SS/Thanos/Strange. The Gun won the battle.

he had the power gem. I don't think any wielder of the power gem has actually shown any "ouch" or bruising. (at least while they're using it; drax obviously gets thrashed every time he loses it) The point is thanos had the strength to knock thor back (and cause him pain -- look at thor's face).

This is not a surprise blow from behind, or a case of vast super-speed. Thanos throws a punch. And 500-1000x thor is not only incapable of stopping it with his own strength, but is actually getting physically beat down.

This is not a pure durability feat.

As for the gun, well, thanos's tech is no different than odin's magical artifacts. They channel his power source. Gungnir and mjolnir can do amazing things; why can't thanos' gun? This is a guy who has discovered the power of teh infinity gems, and has taken over the universe on a number of occassions....

slade10
anyway i gotta go. used too much time here again sad

Avalonofthewind
he had the power gem. I don't think any wielder of the power gem has actually shown any "ouch" or bruising. (at least while they're using it; drax obviously gets thrashed every time he loses it) The point is thanos had the strength to knock thor back (and cause him pain -- look at thor's face).

This is not a surprise blow from behind, or a case of vast super-speed. He throws a punch. And 500-1000x thor is not only incapable of stopping it with his own strength, but is actually getting physically beat down.

If thor is vastly stronger than thanos in this fight, he should just catch thanos' blows and toss him across the galaxy. Instead, he's getting knocked around.

This is not a pure durability feat.

As for the gun, well, thanos's tech is no different than odin's magical artifacts. They channel his power source. Gungnir and mjolnir can do amazing things; why can't thanos' gun? This is a guy who has discovered the power of teh infinity gems, and has taken over the universe on a number of occassions....

Once again, it does NOTHING to prove Thanos strength. Thanos shows good resilience to damage. Its not hard to knock someone off balance because Thor is not that heavy...and knocking a hole in the floor is hardly a feat. Thor wasn't hurt. Thanos was bleeding if you look at his face.

What does discovering the power of the infinity gems have to do with anything? He took over the universe with enhancements...so?? What does that have to do with the price of tea in china?

Forcefield gun > Power gem/infinity watch/SS/Thanos/Strange. The Gun won the battle.

That whole fight was nearly as PIS as spidey vs Firelord.

leonidas
that's actually not a bad point, av. i've said repeatedly, thanos's durability is the biggest difference between the 2.

srankmissingnin

Look at the expressions on Thor's face as he's getting smacked around. He clearly wasn;t having a good time.

Avalonofthewind
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Look at the expressions on Thor's face as he's getting smacked around. He clearly wasn;t having a good time.

Apparently he wasn't. Then again he was insane. He always had a weird expression.

If I tripped on a banana peel and fell, even if I wasn't hurt, I wouldn't be having fun either and my expression would match.

jrodslam
If I tripped on a banana peel and fell, even if I wasn't hurt, I wouldn't be having fun either and my expression would match.

laughing

leonidas
Apparently he wasn't. Then again he was insane. He always had a weird expression.

laughing laughing

in a similar vein to wm thor v thanos, we could say that blue supes (thanos in this analogy) stalled asmodel (wm thor), but i don't think anyone (with sense) will say that blue supes is more powerful than asmodel, even though he did battle him for a time . . .

slade10
Avalon, I have to say -- arguing with you is incredibly annoying. You make the strangest and most contorted arguments for your own characters, then turn around and refuse to see common sense arguments made on behalf of others.

1. This is not a durability feat. Thanos is punching thor in a 1on1 fight and smashing him all over the room. If thor is outclassing him in strength, that should not happen. These are not surprise blows, or blows in the back. These are blows straight to thor's face and body, blows that thor is fully prepared to take. If thor is vastly stronger than thanos, he should be able to take them better.

2. Have you even read blood and thunder? Or any other comic where thor is suffering from warrior madness? Thor is not "bats in the belfry" insane. He has warrior madness. He can still think and reason; it's just that his singular goal is to destroy his enemies.

In short, he is not walking around with this face:

http://img22.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc24&image=601c1_Silver_Surfer_v3_088_03_04.jpg

because he is bnokers, or for the fun of it. That is a face of pain. There is no other way to interpret it. If you think otherwise, and if you are making faces like this regularly in life when you are not in pain, then YOU are insane.

3. Thanos has defeated teams similar to the team wm thor beat on many occasions and won easily. He has also defeated power gem wielders. He has the best tech in the universe, aside from galactus and the celestials. And he has virtually limitless cosmic energy that he can channel through that tech. In short, thanos tech = odin's artifacts >= strange's magic -- which can indeed be > power gem/wm thor/infinity watch.

You only call PIS because you don't know these characters. Which is what makes it so completely absurd for you to be commenting on these threads as if you are some sort of authority.

4. I still have yet to see anyone make an argument as to why 2x is a good estimate. Simply stating that thor is very strong at normal strength is not an argument. Yes, 100x thor strenght is very high, and in the real world would be impossible. But guess what? 1x thor strength is also very high, and in the real world would be impossible. I haven't seen anyone carrying the planet earth around? Have you?

Characters thanos crushes regularly have at least star destroying capability (drax, surfer, various other heralds). The average star is millions of times larger than the earth. If thor maxes out at moving the earth, I don't see why thanos can't max out at moving a planet 100 times the mass of the earth (jupiter, for example, is only 1000 times larger). Indeed, given the likely boost granted by the power gem, 100x seems to me to be a conservative estimate. 100x implies either that:

a. the power gem grants a mere 10x boost, less than the unipower and the same as warrior madness;

or

b. it gives a greater than 10x boost, but the above fight is not supposed to indicate rough equality (or, as is my view, thanos superiority) but rather is supposed to indicate that thanos is in fact vastly weaker than thor, despite the fact that he is smashing him all over the place.

neither assumption seems very plausible to me; they are almost laughably conservative. But even with these extremely conservative assumptions, you get at least a 100x result.

slade10
that's actually not a bad point, av. i've said repeatedly, thanos's durability is the biggest difference between the 2.

actually, it's a terrible point. If anything, this is a poor durability showing. I don't recall any other instance where thanos has been visibly harmed by a physical attack.

of course, this is a power gem wielder. But it still doesn't make any sense, given that thanos has molecular control in his powerset, and in fact cannot be destroyed unless his molecules are completely dispersed. ANything less than a cosmic energy wielder should not be able to harm him. Silver surfer certainly hasn't had much luck even with that.

King KAM
I say that thanos wins simply because of the strong showings that thanos has, he has been shown to take down hercules who is more powerful than thor even with the belt.

Avalonofthewind
Avalon, I have to say -- arguing with you is incredibly annoying. You make the strangest and most contorted arguments for your own characters, then turn around and refuse to see common sense arguments made on behalf of others.

1. This is not a durability feat. Thanos is punching thor in a 1on1 fight and smashing him all over the room. If thor is outclassing him in strength, that should not happen. These are not surprise blows, or blows in the back. These are blows straight to thor's face and body, blows that thor is fully prepared to take. If thor is vastly stronger than thanos, he should be able to take them better.

2. Have you even read blood and thunder? Or any other comic where thor is suffering from warrior madness? Thor is not "bats in the belfry" insane. He has warrior madness. He can still think and reason; it's just that his singular goal is to destroy his enemies.

In short, he is not walking around with this face:

http://img22.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc24&image=601c1_Silver_Surfer_v3_088_03_04.jpg

because he is bnokers, or for the fun of it. That is a face of pain. There is no other way to interpret it. If you think otherwise, and if you are making faces like this regularly in life when you are not in pain, then YOU are insane.

3. Thanos has defeated teams similar to the team wm thor beat on many occasions and won easily. He has also defeated power gem wielders. He has the best tech in the universe, aside from galactus and the celestials. And he has virtually limitless cosmic energy that he can channel through that tech. In short, thanos tech = odin's artifacts >= strange's magic -- which can indeed be > power gem/wm thor/infinity watch.

You only call PIS because you don't know these characters. Which is what makes it so completely absurd for you to be commenting on these threads as if you are some sort of authority.

4. I still have yet to see anyone make an argument as to why 2x is a good estimate. Simply stating that thor is very strong at normal strength is not an argument. Yes, 100x thor strenght is very high, and in the real world would be impossible. But guess what? 1x thor strength is also very high, and in the real world would be impossible. I haven't seen anyone carrying the planet earth around? Have you?

Characters thanos crushes regularly have at least star destroying capability (drax, surfer, various other heralds). The average star is millions of times larger than the earth. If thor maxes out at moving the earth, I don't see why thanos can't max out at moving a planet 100 times the mass of the earth (jupiter, for example, is only 1000 times larger). Indeed, given the likely boost granted by the power gem, 100x seems to me to be a conservative estimate. 100x implies either that:

a. the power gem grants a mere 10x boost, less than the unipower and the same as warrior madness;

or

b. it gives a greater than 10x boost, but the above fight is not supposed to indicate rough equality (or, as is my view, thanos superiority) but rather is supposed to indicate that thanos is in fact vastly weaker than thor, despite the fact that he is smashing him all over the place.

neither assumption seems very plausible to me; they are almost laughably conservative. But even with these extremely conservative assumptions, you get at least a 100x result.

It's annoying for you because it's not incredibly hard to dispute your points. In fact, it's pretty easy. I'm not the one making the ridiculous 100x time strength assumption, and I don't need to write a book on it to prove my point. Proceeding to insults just makes you look petty.

I read through your essay, and it's more of the same basura in detail.
Then you question my authority when in fact it's just disagreeing with your ridiculous opinion. Obviously, you don't know other characters as well as you think either. I'm by far not the only one who disagrees with you.

I could pick apart your essay without too much effort and make you tongue tie yourself, but obviously it's pretty pointless.

Feel free to go to Marvel and tell them that Thanos is 100x stronger than everyone. When they laugh you out of the building, and call you insane we'll still be here for you buddy singing the "cheers" song big grin

Avalonofthewind
actually, it's a terrible point. If anything, this is a poor durability showing. I don't recall any other instance where thanos has been visibly harmed by a physical attack.

of course, this is a power gem wielder. But it still doesn't make any sense, given that thanos has molecular control in his powerset, and in fact cannot be destroyed unless his molecules are completely dispersed. ANything less than a cosmic energy wielder should not be able to harm him. Silver surfer certainly hasn't had much luck even with that.

Yes. 100x stronger...so now Thanos with the POWER INFINITY gem, gets ko'd briefly by a "standard" bootleg Thor.

http://img304.imageshack.us/img304/4962/thanosdown24ap.jpg

Avalonofthewind
Whats this, Thor again?

http://img349.imageshack.us/img349/264/fight34xy.th.gif

Avalonofthewind
DAMN YOU SPIDERMAN and YOUR 100X strength!!
Thanos WITH POWER GEM REELING IN PAIN from SPIDERMANS POWERFUL LEGS!!!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/avalonofthewind/thanosdown.jpg

Avalonofthewind
Thanos admitting to Tyrant that he can be killed...
Not looking too well in a "base destroying blast"
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/avalonofthewind/NOS.jpg

Avalonofthewind
Wolvies claws penetrate Thanos hide.
Adamantium durability > Thanos

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/avalonofthewind/wolviestabsthanos.jpg

Avalonofthewind
Thanos both admitting he can die, AND getting knocked through space...again by a standard bootleg THOR.

Viva 100x strength!!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/avalonofthewind/Thanosboom.jpg

Avalonofthewind
Someone brought up Thanos owning the JLA before IN A X-OVER...
DAMN YOU KYLE!!!!! HOW DARE YOU DEFY THANOS JOBBER AURA!

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/6815/kyleownzthanos4sr.jpg

King KAM
None of those pics proved a point, thor use Mjlonir in all of those pics with him, and When thanos has the IG on he was JUST getting used to the power.

Avalonofthewind
Originally posted by King KAM
None of those pics proved a point, thor use Mjlonir in all of those pics with him, and When thanos has the IG on he was JUST getting used to the power. no

Mider
IMO guys like wolverine and spiderman have no business touching thanos i mean there giving him a fight and then a few comics later he back hands the hulk like a pansy but i also dont think he's 100 times more powerful then thor he is strong enough to fight thor and the thing and the avengers at once but there are other beings who are that strong but i dont think there 100 times as strong like that sea being in korvac saga who was uber strong but like i said i dont think he was 100 times stronger then thor also Ultron again i dont think he's 100 times as strong as thor or he wouldnt have had any trouble with even a savage hulk if you ask me.

olympian
"my point exactly. i never claimed thor would win a fight. the whole point of this 3-day-long debacle, has been to say that thanos is NOT 100x stronger than thor, and the very idea is ridiculous.

i might even go as far as to say thanos might beat thor in a fist fight even if thor HAD the belt, but i happen to think it would be a great fight, and it could go either way. to say someone is more than 2x as strong as thor is really saying something considering some of thor's feats . . . to say they are 100x, and claim that it is in line with marvel's depiction of thanos, is . . . unbelieveable"

Good post Leo.

I dont see whats the problem with this view actually. Thanos can even beat Thor with the belt i can well see that. Heck. We already know hes depicted as more powerful usually. But 100 x times physically stronger based exactly on -what-?

Yes Thanos wins but if he was 100 times stronger, every top tier guy/gal he ever faced would be dead within one-two punches. How many wer? None.

- - -

"I say that thanos wins simply because of the strong showings that thanos has, he has been shown to take down hercules who is more powerful than thor even with the belt."

Thats wrong KA. Hercules in strenght its a -peer- of Thor and in most showings (sans the higher high ends) of Hulk. The big problem is even if you have the opinion he is sligthy stronger already from the start, that still makes him weaker than a full double strenght Thor.

He could hang out with a double strenght Thor, but equal it? Dont see it. Much less surpassing it. Unless someone its really jobbing out of his life.

- - -

"Thanos both admitting he can die, AND getting knocked through space...again by a standard bootleg THOR"

The statement about dying was disaproved, considering he survived the explosion.

slade10

Cosmic Cube
Thanos is really, really resistant to physical injury. Even if Thor was equal to him in strength, he isn't doing much to an Eternal of Thanos's caliber.

Cosmic Cube

Cosmic Cube
Wolvies claws penetrate Thanos hide.
Adamantium durability > Thanos

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/avalonofthewind/wolviestabsthanos.jpg

WOW.

Anyone care to explain this?

slade10
Thanos fighting parallax 1on1. This goes on for a few pages, with no clear winner. Parallax creates stuff, and thanos blows it to smithereens. Parallax has been boosted by the surfer's power cosmic, and thanos has sampled a green lantern ring. (but then subsequently gave it back to kyle for some reason, lol) The clear interpretation of the story arc, i think, is that thanos and parallax are supposed to be roughly equals.

http://img11.imagevenue.com/loc228/th_1d9a6_GL__SS_UA__0038.jpg

Later, kyle draining both thanos AND parallax of their powers, lol. There's no strange plot device here. He just decides drain them, then does so. There's no further fighting after this, as thanos is pulled back into the marvel universe.

http://img138.imagevenue.com/loc264/th_0c830_GL__SS_UA__0045.jpg

Earlier on, Kyle failing to even harm terrax (notice terrax flipping away a GL blast with his axe like a fly), then about to be beheaded when thanos comes in and saves him by 1 shotting terrax.

http://img135.imagevenue.com/loc24/th_24811_GL__SS_UA__0009.jpghttp://img135.imagevenue.com/loc24/th_8b76f_GL__SS_UA__0010.jpghttp://img12.imagevenue.com/loc24/th_227c9_GL__SS_UA__0013.jpghttp://img108.imagevenue.com/loc24/th_cd627_GL__SS_UA__0014.jpg

slade10
Originally posted by Cosmic Cube
WOW.

Anyone care to explain this?

Wolverine pierces everything -- hulk, lobo. The fight goes on and thanos is completely unharmed. I'll post pics of that fight later. including the pic after one of the ones avalon posted -- where thanos picks thor up by his cloak like a ragdoll and tosses him into space.

It's a pretty amazing display of power and versatility.

Cosmic Cube
Well... it is Wolverine.... erm

Mider
those comic shots are really lame if you ask me thanos equal to parallax he cant even beat galactus and he's going to be equal to parallax? GL draining both of them thats also rediculous i thought the whole perpose of him being parallax is that he had like 100 percent of the gl battary but then again bleh the whole experience and will thing comes into thought a gl if he's good enough can pretty much do anything so no its not that hard to see him fighting parallax, but thanos? thats crap. If he is draining thanos in one shot and losing to terrax in the next thats double crap he SHOULD own terrax easily if he can, and again thanos has no buisness beating or even stalemating or even standing up to parallax in all logic parallax should have sneezed him out of existence.

golem370
pic

King KAM
Originally posted by Mider
those comic shots are really lame if you ask me thanos equal to parallax he cant even beat galactus and he's going to be equal to parallax? GL draining both of them thats also rediculous i thought the whole perpose of him being parallax is that he had like 100 percent of the gl battary but then again bleh the whole experience and will thing comes into thought a gl if he's good enough can pretty much do anything so no its not that hard to see him fighting parallax, but thanos? thats crap. If he is draining thanos in one shot and losing to terrax in the next thats double crap he SHOULD own terrax easily if he can, and again thanos has no buisness beating or even stalemating or even standing up to parallax in all logic parallax should have sneezed him out of existence. Thanos doesnt get sneezed out of existence young grasshopper, he DOES the sneezing.

golem370
another pic

Mider
the only thing thanos is doing to parallax is losing there is no contest.

King KAM
Originally posted by Mider
the only thing thanos is doing to parallax is losing there is no contest. shiiiiiiiiiiiiii

golem370
Savage Hulk couldn't take Silver Surfer but Thanos did easily

Mider
whats shiiiiiiiiii is that anyone would think that thanos is on the level of sky fathers and above he cant even defeat galactus and he's going to defeat parallax now thats pure 100 percent shiiiiiiiiii.

GODSCRIBE
Slade owns your ***** asses. His points actually made sense.

golem370
Ramus, A frequent poster to the Marvel boards, had the opportunity to ask a true authority about the matter. Writer Peter David, who wrote the Hulk comic for about 12 years, is a subscriber on AOL. Ramus decided to e-mail David about the matter. He was very detailed in his questioning, desiring to avoid any confusion.

To quote Ramus, he asked "if he ( Peter David ) thought Thanos was on a physical strength level higher than Hulk at any time he was writing (meaning various incarnations)."

David's reply was simple, answering: "Yeah, probably. Thanos is kind of in his own weight class."

Nice, clear answer eh?

GODSCRIBE
Anyone lower than Hulk is weaker than Thanos..put it that way.

golem370
That guy said that Thanos was in his own weight class thats being said by somebody who wrote form Hulk for 12years

slade10
I'm going to post the pics from the IG fight. Bear with me. Note that the narration and quotes are very clear that thanos HAS in fact turned off the IG. All the crazy stuff he does here (dimensional portals, time portals, matter manipulation/transumation, energy manipulation, etc) is not a product of that artifact.

http://img18.imagevenue.com/loc24/th_7a5ff_1.JPGhttp://img141.imagevenue.com/loc24/th_16470_2.JPGhttp://img14.imagevenue.com/loc24/th_e35b6_3.JPGhttp://img142.imagevenue.com/loc24/th_2c3fe_4.JPG
http://img130.imagevenue.com/loc24/th_a651e_5.jpg

slade10
http://img109.imagevenue.com/loc24/th_a6be0_6.jpghttp://img130.imagevenue.com/loc24/th_e5cbc_7.jpghttp://img130.imagevenue.com/loc24/th_b7698_8.jpghttp://img18.imagevenue.com/loc24/th_ab348_9.jpg
http://img125.imagevenue.com/loc24/th_4e6e5_10.jpg

slade10
http://img142.imagevenue.com/loc24/th_e0eb2_11.jpghttp://img46.imagevenue.com/loc24/th_ed1f5_12.jpghttp://img143.imagevenue.com/loc24/th_9a1d8_13.jpghttp://img107.imagevenue.com/loc24/th_a8c35_14.jpg
http://img108.imagevenue.com/loc24/th_3875a_15.jpg

slade10
http://img143.imagevenue.com/loc24/th_b4f83_16.jpghttp://img142.imagevenue.com/loc24/th_31229_17.jpghttp://img107.imagevenue.com/loc24/th_81b2f_18.jpghttp://img22.imagevenue.com/loc24/th_6466f_19.jpg
http://img24.imagevenue.com/loc24/th_953ec_20.jpg

slade10
http://img146.imagevenue.com/loc24/th_b4f86_21.jpghttp://img20.imagevenue.com/loc24/th_d726f_22.jpghttp://img146.imagevenue.com/loc24/th_7cd17_23.jpghttp://img128.imagevenue.com/loc24/th_e5cc2_24.jpg
http://img22.imagevenue.com/loc24/th_64679_25.jpg

slade10

Cosmic Cube
Originally posted by golem370
Savage Hulk couldn't take Silver Surfer but Thanos did easily

That has nothing to do with strength. Savage Hulk can become 1,000,000 times stronger than Thanos or Surfer and still get owned.

slade10
As for the pic with thor standing over a smoking thanos posted by avalon, this is the version of thor that managed to do that. Note that the odinforce and belt of strength not only boost thor's strength but have increased the power of mjolnir as well.

http://img40.imagevenue.com/loc258/th_a6525_thor1.jpg
http://img20.imagevenue.com/loc294/th_13d5e_thor2.jpg

Earlier in the comic, thor was shown as being completely unable to harm thanos. He threw mjolnir at him (after defeating mangog) and it simply bounced off like a pebble.

Note, morever, that it was subsequently revealed that this was a mere thanos clone. So thor+belt of strength+odinforce was barely able to beat a thanos clone.

Avalonofthewind
Originally posted by olympian
"my point exactly. i never claimed thor would win a fight. the whole point of this 3-day-long debacle, has been to say that thanos is NOT 100x stronger than thor, and the very idea is ridiculous.

i might even go as far as to say thanos might beat thor in a fist fight even if thor HAD the belt, but i happen to think it would be a great fight, and it could go either way. to say someone is more than 2x as strong as thor is really saying something considering some of thor's feats . . . to say they are 100x, and claim that it is in line with marvel's depiction of thanos, is . . . unbelieveable"

Good post Leo.

I dont see whats the problem with this view actually. Thanos can even beat Thor with the belt i can well see that. Heck. We already know hes depicted as more powerful usually. But 100 x times physically stronger based exactly on -what-?

Yes Thanos wins but if he was 100 times stronger, every top tier guy/gal he ever faced would be dead within one-two punches. How many wer? None.

- - -

"I say that thanos wins simply because of the strong showings that thanos has, he has been shown to take down hercules who is more powerful than thor even with the belt."

Thats wrong KA. Hercules in strenght its a -peer- of Thor and in most showings (sans the higher high ends) of Hulk. The big problem is even if you have the opinion he is sligthy stronger already from the start, that still makes him weaker than a full double strenght Thor.

He could hang out with a double strenght Thor, but equal it? Dont see it. Much less surpassing it. Unless someone its really jobbing out of his life.

- - -

"Thanos both admitting he can die, AND getting knocked through space...again by a standard bootleg THOR"

The statement about dying was disaproved, considering he survived the explosion.

Agreed with all.
Minus the dying point. He admited he could die. We never saw what happened afterwards though. He probably had a back up plan.

Avalonofthewind
Thanos fighting parallax 1on1. This goes on for a few pages, with no clear winner. Parallax creates stuff, and thanos blows it to smithereens. Parallax has been boosted by the surfer's power cosmic, and thanos has sampled a green lantern ring. (but then subsequently gave it back to kyle for some reason, lol) The clear interpretation of the story arc, i think, is that thanos and parallax are supposed to be roughly equals.

http://img11.imagevenue.com/loc228/th_1d9a6_GL__SS_UA__0038.jpg

Later, kyle draining both thanos AND parallax of their powers, lol. There's no strange plot device here. He just decides drain them, then does so. There's no further fighting after this, as thanos is pulled back into the marvel universe.

http://img138.imagevenue.com/loc264/th_0c830_GL__SS_UA__0045.jpg

Earlier on, Kyle failing to even harm terrax (notice terrax flipping away a GL blast with his axe like a fly), then about to be beheaded when thanos comes in and saves him by 1 shotting terrax.

http://img135.imagevenue.com/loc24/th_24811_GL__SS_UA__0009.jpghttp://img135.imagevenue.com/loc24/th_8b76f_GL__SS_UA__0010.jpghttp://img12.imagevenue.com/loc24/th_227c9_GL__SS_UA__0013.jpghttp://img108.imagevenue.com/loc24/th_cd627_GL__SS_UA__0014.jpg

Hardly equals. Maybe once imbued with the power of OA. There was nothing dishonest with my post...why? I showed the final result of the fight. When Kyle realized WHAT he can do. Thanos was easily taken out. Both were drained Parallax escaped under his own power, Thanos was dragged along by SS.

Nice try. big grin

slade10
Hardly equals. Maybe once imbued with the power of OA. There was nothing dishonest with my post...why? I showed the final result of the fight. When Kyle realized WHAT he can do. Thanos was easily taken out. Both were drained Parallax escaped under his own power, Thanos was dragged along by SS.

Nice try. big grin

Imbued with the power of oa? He sampled a green lantern ring for like 5 seconds. Parallax, in contrast, received the full power cosmic from silver surfer. And they were fighting as equals.

You purposefully edited out parallax in the pic you posted of thanos being drained. I call that dishonest. Plain and simple. which I have come to expect in arguments with you.

slade10
Agreed with all.
Minus the dying point. He admited he could die. We never saw what happened afterwards though. He probably had a back up plan.

Yes, we did see what happened afterwards. He's walking around fine.

Cosmic Cube
You guys are the coolest.

slade10
Originally posted by olympian

Good post Leo.

Have you read any of my posts.....? sheesh...

jrodslam
Nice scan slade. Ive always wanted to see the whole fight. HOWEVER where does it say that Thanos cut off ALL the power of the Infinity Gauntlet? Im no genius, but it stated "diminished" and "dampened". That doesnt mean he totaly cut off the IG's power. It means he lowered it, but is still using some of its power.

Cosmic Cube
Originally posted by jrodslam
Nice scan slade. Ive always wanted to see the whole fight. HOWEVER where does it say that Thanos cut off ALL the power of the Infinity Gauntlet? Im no genius, but it stated "diminished" and "dampened". That doesnt mean he totaly cut off the IG's power. It means he lowered it, but is still using some of its power.

Very observant of you, jrod.

But then again, what is 'part' of infinity?

slade10

No, it is stated earlier that he cut it all off, SAVE the power gem. That is largely irrelevant, however, given that this is not a strength feat. And he has shown more than enough strength to do the things that he does here (tossing thor into space, ko'ing firelord with a backhand, etc).

But if you want to discount the strenght feats, that's fine. They were completely unnecessary to the victory.

jrodslam
Imbued with the power of oa? He sampled a green lantern ring for like 5 seconds. Parallax, in contrast, received the full power cosmic from silver surfer. And they were fighting as equals.

Well actually Parallax took "most" not the "full power cosmic" of Surfers, which only took about 2 seconds. Thanos was draining Kyle for much longer than 3 seconds.

Avalonofthewind

slade10
Well actually Parallax took "most" not the "full power cosmic" of Surfers, which only took about 2 seconds. Thanos was draining Kyle for much longer than 3 seconds.

The difference is surfer's powers go wherever surfer wants them to go. He's granted his powers to tohers, and even made a duplicate of himself (with the same powers).

Kyle's power stays with the ring, for the most part. Which thanos did not even bother keeping.

jrodslam
Very observant of you, jrod.

But then again, what is 'part' of infinity?

Thanks.

Infinity does have a beginning does it not? Hulks power or strength rather, is infinite. Yet he doesnt start off being stronger than everyone. His strength can "increase" infinately. He still has a start off point.

Avalonofthewind
Thanos is really, really resistant to physical injury. Even if Thor was equal to him in strength, he isn't doing much to an Eternal of Thanos's caliber.

I agree CC. However 100x stronger than Thor?
Laughable.

Cosmic Cube
I agree CC. However 100x stronger than Thor?
Laughable.
I don't know about 100x stronger...

Cosmic Cube
Thanks.

Infinity does have a beginning does it not? Hulks power or strength rather, is infinite. Yet he doesnt start off being stronger than everyone. His strength can "increase" infinately. He still has a start off point.

True, but the Hulk's strength would never equal infinity. It would increase to a finite value, and continue to increase as his rage continues, never plateauing, but never reaching infinity. The Infinity Gauntlet power supposedly equals infinity. Hence a fraction thereof is undefinable.

jrodslam
No, it is stated earlier that he cut it all off, SAVE the power gem. That is largely irrelevant, however, given that this is not a strength feat. And he has shown more than enough strength to do the things that he does here (tossing thor into space, ko'ing firelord with a backhand, etc).

But if you want to discount the strenght feats, that's fine. They were completely unnecessary to the victory.

If it stated earlier that he cut it all off, then maybe you should show that. What exactly does the power gem do? Does it only give the potential for infinite strength only? Or does it also enhance other attributes such as durability or powers.

slade10
Ok, this is becoming pure idiocy. It is understood virtually everywhere, including in commentary by the marvel writers, that this is thanos with only the power gem.

But debating with you on points that would be OBVIOUS to anyone who knows anything about these characters is just stupid. You make things up to support your position, and you edit pictures of necessary information, then come up with ad hoc excuses as to why you did so.

As I said in previous threads, and as I repeated here, arguing with you is close to pointless. You're worse than a politician.

jrodslam
True, but the Hulk's strength would never equal infinity. It owuld simply increase to a finite value, and continue as his rage increased. The Infinity Gauntlet power supposedly equals infinity. Hence a fraction thereof is undefinable.

I hear you but people are making it seem as if as soon as you get the power gem, your strength is automatically enhanced to infinate. Meaning youre stronger than ALL. Dont you have to learn the properties of the gems and how to use them to their full capacity? Like stated before, users with certain gems have been bested by others in the field of that said power.

Avalonofthewind

You purposefully edited out parallax in the pic you posted of thanos being drained. I call that dishonest. Plain and simple. which I have come to expect in arguments with you.

Umm...he needed Kyles ring to channel all of OA's power which was done through Thanos machine.

Parallax and Thanos were then both using cosmic and OA power simultaenously.
Once again. Parallax had nothing to do with a THANOS forum, dishonest would be saying that Kyle didnt drain them both.

You can call me dishonest all you want. YOU are the one making ridiculous claims abou 100x strength. Not me. You like in a dream world. laughing

Cosmic Cube
If it stated earlier that he cut it all off, then maybe you should show that. What exactly does the power gem do? Does it only give the potential for infinite strength only? Or does it also enhance other attributes such as durability or powers.

Within the power gem there is a source of infinite physical strength that the user can tap as desired. It enhances all physical attributes.

Avalonofthewind

Slade makes up his own stories.

Then call others" dishonest" laughing

Because Slade said so, THANOS TURNED OFF THE GAUNTLET everyone!

Cosmic Cube
I hear you but people are making it seem as if as soon as you get the power gem, your strength is automatically enhanced to infinate. Meaning youre stronger than ALL. Dont you have to learn the properties of the gems and how to use them to their full capacity? Like stated before, users with certain gems have been bested by others in the field of that said power.

The power gem works like the Hulk, nix the anger. It is a pool of limitless strength. Using it, you can become as strong as you wish to be. Not infinitely strong.

It's like having a bank acount with infinite money in it. You can withdraw $100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 dollars, but you can't withdraw $infinity.

Cosmic Cube
Slade makes up his own stories.

Then call others" dishonest" laughing

Because Slade said so, THANOS TURNED OFF THE GAUNTLET everyone!

What is the point that you two are arguing?

slade10

I don't have the comic -- or a scanner in any event. But he specifically states that he is cutting off all the other gems, and retaining only the power gem. He (or possibly mephisto) then says something along the lines of "this will leave them with a .1% chance of victory."

As for the power gem has been shown to have two primary powers:

1. Strength
2. Durability

The other ability it seems to have, related to durability, is to cause feedback on individuals attacking the wielder. So, for exmaple, thanos turned the gardener's pwoer back on himself when gardener tried to turn him into a tree. And in blood and thunder, wm thor KO'd warlock and strange instantly by causing feedback in their combined magical/soul attack.

All the other powers are thanos' own, and consistent with other showings. For example, thanos has transmuted a skrull into stone with a wave of his hand. ANd he has created dimensional portals, both for himself and others, on many occasions -- both with and without tech.

Avalonofthewind
Ok, this is becoming pure idiocy. It is understood virtually everywhere, including in commentary by the marvel writers, that this is thanos with only the power gem.

But debating with you on points that would be OBVIOUS to anyone who knows anything about these characters is just stupid. You make things up to support your position, and you edit pictures of necessary information, then come up with ad hoc excuses as to why you did so.

As I said in previous threads, and as I repeated here, arguing with you is close to pointless. You're worse than a politician.

Blah Blah Blah ...*Slade voice* People don't agree with me, so I'll go insulting and whining about them *Slade voice off*

The only one who's made stuff up here is you buddy. You arguments consisted of facial expressions, and discoving the soul gems. laughing

jrodslam
Within the power gem there is a source of infinite physical strength that the user can tap as desired. It enhances all physical attributes.

So if a cl 10 character gets the power gem, will they automatically be able to tap into its source of infinite physical strength and be stronger than say Hulk, Thor, etc? Or do they have to have it for a while to learn how to do so?

And you say it enhances all physical attributes? Strength, speed, stamina and durability only?

Cosmic Cube
So if a cl 10 character gets the power gem, will they automatically be able to tap into its source of infinite physical strength and be stronger than say Hulk, Thor, etc? Or do they have to have it for a while to learn how to do so?

And you say it enhances all physical attributes? Strength, speed, stamina and durability only?

If J. Jonah Jameson had the Power Gem, (assuming he knows how to use it,) he could body slam Thor or Hulk with one arm tied behind his back. However, he would never have "infinite strength" He would have access to infinite power, but his strength, no matter how great, would be a finite value.

Logically, the Power Gem would only affect speed to a limited degree (due to leg strength.) It mainly affects strength, durability, and stamina.

slade10

They have to learn how to use it, but it is not some arcane artifcat that only strange/thanos types can use. Drax has been the primary wielder, and he is quite possibly the dumbest character in comics. The power gem has not been held by a weak character (thanos, drax, champion are all planet busters), but presumably it should boost anyone infinitely. Though, as you say, this is probably a gradual process similar to hulk's anger.

Stamina and durabily are to me the same. And there is no speed boost. That is for the space gem.

Cosmic Cube
They have to learn how to use it, but it is not some arcane artifcat that only strange/thanos types can use. Drax has been the primary wielder, and he is quite possibly the dumbest character in comics. The power gem has not been held by a weak character (thanos, drax, champion are all planet busters), but presumably it should boost anyone infinitely. Though, as you say, this is probably a gradual process similar to hulk's anger.

Stamina and durabily are to me the same. And there is no speed boost. That is for the space gem.

There would logically be some form of a speed boost, slade. Leg strength is what allows the Hulk to run at such high velocities. Possibly Superman as well.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>