Grounded For Life

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

alvix
Does anyone know why it got canceled after 5 seasons? I mean doesnt it usually happen in the middle of season one or at season 10?

KathyBrowncoat
LOL! Ah if only TV were truly that predictable! smile In truth shows usually get cancelled about the time I discover them! smile

As a result of that tried and true theory (John Doe, Point Pleasant, Firefly, oh how the list goes ON AND ON!) I am forever scouting the TV shows aisle in the DVD section... and noticed Grounded for Life is starting to come out! smile

manicmyk
A lot of shows follow the Star Trek Rule of seven seasons. Of course, your point is usually made after three. Shows that go five seasons are eligible for syndication and ripe for tv movie possibilities and features. Anyway, this is a cool show. I dig Walt!

KathyBrowncoat
Just to put a fine point on what manicmyk said... the key is 100 episodes for syndication, so the 5 seasons is the rule of thumb as we now have 22 episode seasons. If you look back there used to be 30 or more eps in a season...

it is this "goal" of 100 episodes that prompts some shows to occassionally try for a 26 episode season.

It is also why you hear about so many shows having BIG parties to celebrate reaching 100 eps! smile

So I guess we should be grateful Grounded for Life made it past the 100th episode / season 5.

alvix
Originally posted by KathyBrowncoat
LOL! Ah if only TV were truly that predictable! smile In truth shows usually get cancelled about the time I discover them! smile

As a result of that tried and true theory (John Doe, Point Pleasant, Firefly, oh how the list goes ON AND ON!) I am forever scouting the TV shows aisle in the DVD section... and noticed Grounded for Life is starting to come out! smile

You know, I think theres like 10 different tv stations who wants to buy FireFly from, fox but the idiots wants to get the money from season ones dvd sales.. theres actually a prety funny joke on the Family Guy season 4 dvd, where peter says something like"I got bad news, we got canceled - I guess we just have to accept the fact that Fox has to make room on the air for terrific shows like: Dark Angel, Tidus, That 80s show, Girls club, Firefly, the Lone Gunmen, the Pits, Normal Ohio, Gene Eddie, the Street and greg the bunny, but ofcourse if all those shows doesnt work we might have a chance!" I just noticed they are releasing Grounded for life season one on dvd! pretty awesome!

Makedde
GFL was a pretty cool show, I watch it all the time. smile

alvix
Originally posted by Makedde
GFL was a pretty cool show, I watch it all the time. smile

Cool, who was your favorite character? Mine was Sean!

Makedde
I like the wife. She's always funny. I didn't really take any notice of the charactor names, I just liked watching it. It was funny and entertaining. smile

Last episode I saw the wife was pregnant...have they had the baby yet?

alvix
Im not sure, I gotta admit I didnt really watch that many episodes after season 1 and 2..

Makedde
It wasn't as good, then?

alvix
No, I actually dont remember why I stoped watching it but I think it was because the show switched channels so many times.. im not sure though.. Also, I found this site with a couple video clips and some information about the series: hyfntrak.com/groundedforlife/AFF22342/

and heres the feature list from amazon:
* Meet The Finnertys - Interview With Donal Logue
* Claudia: Not The Sitcom Mom - Interview With Megyn Price
* Life With Lily - Interview With Lynsey Bartilson
* Brand New Interview With Creators Mike Schiff And Bill Martin
* Bloopers
* Season One Highlights

KathyBrowncoat
Thanks for posting the extras Alvix... bloopers are one of my all time favorite extras to get on DVDs. I love seeing those unguarded moments, and seeing how the cast members interact with one another out of character! smile

As funny as these actors are with a script they are frequently even funnier without one!

alvix
Originally posted by KathyBrowncoat

I agree, Michael J fox is amazing in Spin City but in real life hes even more funny.. I have never seen any of the actors in Grounded for life live though.. how are they?

brad555

Wolfie
I watched the first season of it and enjoyed it a lot. But it got old faster than Malcolm in the Middle.

KathyBrowncoat
I never watched Malcolm in the middle so I can't comment on that... but I watched re-runs of GFL yesterday and today on ABC Fam and have to say the show is a LOT funnier than I ever realized.

They use the flashback device a LOT better than most shows... as in I don't groan and grunt saying just tell me the story... but rather they dish out pieces in the funniest order possible via the flash backs and have me laughing my head off and realizing this is NOT nec. the best show to try and have on in the background while doing something else that requires concentration! smile

manicmyk
They definitely had the flashback device working well for them. It is one of those icy slopes in sitcoms. It either works beautifully or not at all.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.