Cyclops vs Capn America vs Superman vs NightWing

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

UniOmni
Who is the best leader out the group??
Rank em!!! 1 being the highest

brainchild81
1. Cyclops. I was just gonna give this to Cap, but Cyclops has been through some tough s**t. More then Cap maybe. Cyke is a professional and he's put up for Wolvie for years. He deserves much more credit than he usually gets. Maybe I'm in Cyclops mode now 'cause somebody bought up X-Men: Evolution. He was actually the star of that show. It was great & underrated and I'm gonna have to get the DVDs now.

2. Cap. If he's not #1, he's @ least #2. He's a man that tells Gods what to do.

3.Nightwing. 'Cause he's more of a leader than the #4 guy. He's underrated also. I hate hearing cats say this new Robin's better than Grayson. He's not. He's nothing but hype.

Dead Lastsmile Supes. He's not really the leader. Batman does whatever the f**k he wants. When the JLA needsw a good plan, who do they call? It ain't Stupidman. It's Bats.

pr1983
I agree with cyke being number 1...

i don't think superman is as much a leader as someone who sets an example for others to follow... he doesnt lead a team like cap or cyke would...

Juntai
Too tough to tell.

Supes last though?
They go to Batman because he's the "detective", but surely everyone follows Superman's lead.

When you read the captions of when other characters meet Superman, most all of them inform you that he's their inspiration, their leader, and they all in one way or another, follow his lead. He commands the respect and admiration of entire galaxies. Please.

pr1983
Yes, but does he actually lead the team the way cyclops or cap would? he doesnt have to order ww or gl around.

though having him last is unfair i agree...

Wally West
I think I would put Cap first, Superman second, Cyclops 3rd, and Nightwing last. Nightwing is a great leader already but it'll still be a few years before hes alongside those guys.

Juntai
Originally posted by pr1983
Yes, but does he actually lead the team the way cyclops or cap would? he doesnt have to order ww or gl around.

though having him last is unfair i agree... Batman often gets depicted in the JLA issues as the leader, being the "You do this, you do that." type, because he has to. Besides his detective skills and intelligence he ads nothing to the team realistically. It's his way of participating. Technically a few of the other members should be just as good at even those departments however.
Superman is still the example they all try to live up to, their voice of reason, their example of right and wrong, and the reason most of DC's heros are heros at all.

Juntai
Originally posted by Wally West
I think I would put Cap first, Superman second, Cyclops 3rd, and Nightwing last. Nightwing is a great leader already but it'll still be a few years before hes alongside those guys. Not anymore, he's quickly become that leader. You'll notice even Batman came to Nightwing in the Crisis and told him to lead.

Juntai
It really is just a tough call.

pr1983
Originally posted by Juntai
Batman often gets depicted in the JLA issues as the leader, being the "You do this, you do that." type, because he has to. Besides his detective skills and intelligence he ads nothing to the team realistically. It's his way of participating. Technically a few of the other members should be just as good at even those departments however.
Superman is still the example they all try to live up to, their voice of reason, their example of right and wrong, and the reason most of DC's heros are heros at all.

I agree completely... thats sorta what i meant in my first post... messed

Lucid Lui
I would put Superman last because there are some decisions he would find hard or hesitate to make that the others wouldn't.

They are all very close in leaderwhip though.

tiakocom
Originally posted by Lucid Lui
I would put Superman last because there are some decisions he would find hard or hesitate to make that the others wouldn't.

They are all very close in leaderwhip though.

gotta agree with you, beside cyclops has been leading the X-men for years and for a guy with only one power its not to bad, adn you gotta respect anyone who puts up with wolvie.

Juntai
Originally posted by tiakocom
gotta agree with you, beside cyclops has been leading the X-men for years and for a guy with only one power its not to bad, adn you gotta respect anyone who puts up with wolvie. He's only the leader because he's the most level headed, most of the others who could potentially be simply aren't active enough and the rest act like children half the time and/or have no morals.

pr1983
He's only the leader because he's the most level headed, most of the others who could potentially be simply aren't active enough and the rest act like children half the time and/or have no morals.

he's the leader for more than that...

his ability to see opportunities in combat that noone else would, his almost encyclopedic knowledge of his teammates abilities and limitations...

described by nick fury himself as a master tactician...

tiakocom
He's only the leader because he's the most level headed, most of the others who could potentially be simply aren't active enough and the rest act like children half the time and/or have no morals.

well thats the quality of a leaders, beside how many characters does the league has? i'm sure not all of them are hot headed and supes is not even leader material he simply sets good example, batman run the show over there.

Juntai
Originally posted by tiakocom
well thats the quality of a leaders, beside how many characters does the league has? i'm sure not all of them are hot headed and supes is not even leader material he simply sets good example, batman run the show over there. Apperently you didn't read the post regarding Batman leader.
JLA is composed of DC's frontline characters, and among them, DETECTIVE WORK and STRATEGY are all Batman can possibly bring to the table realistically , so that's what the writers have him do. However there's a number of other characters on the team who are PERFECTLY capable leaders. WW for example? She rules an empire and was part of the United Nations and blessed with wisdom and intellect of gods.

TheKahn
1. Tie- Cap and Cyke
3. Nightwing
4. Superman

Cap and Cyke both have a lot of leadership experience leading the top two teams in the Marvel Universe. One bosses around Thor and the other bosses around Wolverine, and that has to be tough enough. When the world is about to end, you want one of these two to leading the guys who are going to save it.

Nightwing has run the Titians and Outsiders, but until he graduates to the JLA and actively leads it, he is behind thoes two.

Superman, however, is the guy you want ON your team, not nessearily leading it. Others have said it, he is a good role model but depends on Batman's brains too much. He could raise an army but somebody else would come up with the plan of attack.

Juntai
Originally posted by TheKahn
1. Tie- Cap and Cyke
3. Nightwing
4. Superman

Cap and Cyke both have a lot of leadership experience leading the top two teams in the Marvel Universe. One bosses around Thor and the other bosses around Wolverine, and that has to be tough enough. When the world is about to end, you want one of these two to leading the guys who are going to save it.

Nightwing has run the Titians and Outsiders, but until he graduates to the JLA and actively leads it, he is behind thoes two.

Superman, however, is the guy you want ON your team, not nessearily leading it. Others have said it, he is a good role model but depends on Batman's brains too much. He could raise an army but somebody else would come up with the plan of attack. Why does Nightwing have to go to the JLA?
He's been leading since his early Teens, giving him at least a decade of experience, and amonst those he's lead include Kyle Green Lantern and Flash Wally West, not to mention HUNDREDS of other people who came and went from the Titans.
And he did all that with a group that was still mostly going through puberty.

And this part specifically about Superman.
Do you think they'd be there and/or be listening to anything Batman had to say if Superman wasn't there?
Gathering armies is what made most every revered leader on our planet, even with the STUPID plans most of them came up with.

Tha C-Master
People, however, feel safe and confident when superman is around...

Juntai
Originally posted by Tha C-Master
People, however, feel safe and confident when superman is around... Yep.

Lucid Lui
Nightwing DID graduate to the JLA and led it very well during the Obsidian Age arc. It was an all new JLA line-up, but he did a great job leading a team in very extreme circumstances.

Juntai
Nightwing DID graduate to the JLA and led it very well during the Obsidian Age arc. It was an all new JLA line-up, but he did a great job leading a team in very extreme circumstances. True, I forgot about that. The contingency team.

TheKahn
Nightwing DID graduate to the JLA and led it very well during the Obsidian Age arc. It was an all new JLA line-up, but he did a great job leading a team in very extreme circumstances.

I don't mean to knock Nightwing, but imo there is a difference in leading the premier team and leading the second string, no matter how good that second string team is. If he were in the JLA for a long period consistantly leading the team though the most dangerous missions on earth (in DC anyway) then I would consider him in the same league as Cap and Cyke. I'm not saying he couldn't, just that he hasn't yet.

As for Superman, I agree he is a great symbol and very well respected but in my opinion Wonder Woman or Batman would make a better battle field commander than Superman. The problem is that in the JLA Superman tends to be the heart and image of the team and they use Batman as the brains. They have to find a way to showcase other characters instead of Big Blue. And thus he doesn't take on the "lead" the JLA the same way Cap leads the Avengers.

Lucid Lui
Originally posted by TheKahn
I don't mean to knock Nightwing, but imo there is a difference in leading the premier team and leading the second string, no matter how good that second string team is. If he were in the JLA for a long period consistantly leading the team though the most dangerous missions on earth (in DC anyway) then I would consider him in the same league as Cap and Cyke. I'm not saying he couldn't, just that he hasn't yet. Well, considering the circumstances under which he was leading, i'd say, this time, he was leading as well as Cap or Cyke would of. The earth was pretty much going to hell when he started leading the team. All the water was shifting towards Atlantis causing worldwide disasters, he didn't know whether the original JLA'ers were dead or alive, and a he was leading a group that had just been slapped together. He did a great job, which to me showed that he'll definately be as good leader as Cap and Cyke someday soon.

But i agree that's he just short of their level as it stands today.

Juntai
Except Titans and JLA and Outsiders are all premier teams.
And he's lead them all, he's been a leader for around a decade comic time.

He even lead several of the JLAers and many other big guns in his days. Such as Kyle GL and Wally Flash.

Deathstroke and Batman both regard him as probably the best leader and tactician there is. Batman came to Nightwing to lead during the Crisis. Deathstroke came to Nightwing to "TEACH" his daughter tactics and strategy. Both recently.

And you consider X Men a premier team why? Most Titans teams would have mopped most X Teams. Nightwing was handling a lot more power.

pr1983
x-men are a premier team for one simple reason, they achieve things they individually couldnt, they're more than the sum of their parts, and they've taken down magneto, apocalypse...

Juntai
x-men are a premier team for one simple reason, they achieve things they individually couldnt, they're more than the sum of their parts, and they've taken down magneto, apocalypse... That's all teams homie...
Nightwing even led a bunch of prepescent kids against literal Gods.

pr1983
Its usually more true in the case of the x-men... they are individually very weak in a lot of cases...

Juntai
And getting people to BLINDLY follow you anywhere you lead them, and have them feel secure and like nothing wrong can happen while you're there, is the sign of a good leader. This is the principal even Governments and militaries use.
And there's NO arguing that people would follow Superman ANYWHERE before anyone else listed here.

pr1983
And getting people to BLINDLY follow you anywhere you lead them, and have them feel secure and like nothing wrong can happen while you're there, is the sign of a good leader. This is the principal even Governments and militaries use.
And there's NO arguing that people would follow Superman ANYWHERE before anyone else listed here.

I never said Superman was a bad leader...

but he's no tactician is he? he has strengths and flaws, just like anyone who leads...

Juntai
I never said Superman was a bad leader...

but he's no tactician is he? he has strengths and flaws, just like anyone who leads... It asked for the best leader, not tactician.
Though I see your view, that's not what it asked for.
A leader leads, and Superman could get thousands to follow him into battle against ANY threat at all.

In still Supes is still no slouch as a tactician, as that's how he actually defeats many of his enemies. Just his JLA version doesn't justify it as per my Batman explanation earlier in the thread.

In DC Universe, merely hearing/reading stories or seeing Superman made thousands want to go become heros themselves.

The entire population of Metropolis was described as 'feeling invincible' before Superman's death, and when he died, they were completely horrified and realised how petty and small they actually were. If Superman could die... . .

You see what I'm saying?

Superman literally guides worlds with his presence.
He's a true leader.

pr1983
Oh, i completely agree with most of your post, but the thing that always struck me about Superman is that he feels so protective of everyone around him that he'd rather do everything himself (because in most cases he can). I think he prefers being a solo hero. I think the type of leader that he is, the sort of "lead by example" way is too different to the likes of cyke and cap to be compared...

ZephroCarnelian
This boils down to what you define as a leader.

Superman inspires confidence and faith - for example, in the first Crisis on Infinite Earths:

Halo - "There goes Superman, Changeling, the new Dr Light can't stop HIM!"

Beast Boy - "Yup! All the problems seem to go 'Poof' when ol' red S is around!"

Superman's an inspirational leader.

---------

Now Captain America is a tactical leader.

Remember in JLA/Avengers when they had discovered who was behind the plot to destroy everyone? Jonn hooked Cap America up to everyone's minds and they kicked ass.

-----------

There are two different kinds of leader: Supes is the best at being his type and Captain is the best at being his.

Juntai
Originally posted by ZephroCarnelian
This boils down to what you define as a leader.

Superman inspires confidence and faith - for example, in the first Crisis on Infinite Earths:

Halo - "There goes Superman, Changeling, the new Dr Light can't stop HIM!"

Beast Boy - "Yup! All the problems seem to go 'Poof' when ol' red S is around!"

Superman's an inspirational leader.

---------

Now Captain America is a tactical leader.

Remember in JLA/Avengers when they had discovered who was behind the plot to destroy everyone? Jonn hooked Cap America up to everyone's minds and they kicked ass.

-----------

There are two different kinds of leader: Supes is the best at being his type and Captain is the best at being his.
That's what I'm saying.

Once again, JLA/Avengers as an example now, who LED the charge? Who did everyone follow in?

Superman.

ZephroCarnelian
Dunno. But there's nowt wrong with using JLA/Avengers as reference.

It's commonplace round here nowadays. smile

TheKahn
Oh, i completely agree with most of your post, but the thing that always struck me about Superman is that he feels so protective of everyone around him that he'd rather do everything himself (because in most cases he can). I think he prefers being a solo hero. I think the type of leader that he is, the sort of "lead by example" way is too different to the likes of cyke and cap to be compared...

I was thinking the same thing big grin
Besides the JLA seem more like a force of nature than a "team". I mean each character is so powerful that they are more independant of each other than say the X-Men.

brainchild81
Too tough to tell.

Supes last though?
They go to Batman because he's the "detective", but surely everyone follows Superman's lead.

When you read the captions of when other characters meet Superman, most all of them inform you that he's their inspiration, their leader, and they all in one way or another, follow his lead. He commands the respect and admiration of entire galaxies. Please. Ok. All your love and all my dislike for the character aside, there's really no other place for him on the list is there? All the others share the same leadership qualities. Cap and Cyke are probably even and Nightwing's probably as close as you can get to them. Nightwing has the potential to someday make this a three way tie. I think he'd actually make a better leader than Batman because he's easier to trust and he doesn't spend hid downtime trying to find ways to f**k up his teammates. Instead of being upset about where you think Supes shouldn't be, tell us where you think he should be. Please don't say "Not last"Originally posted by TheKahn
1. Tie- Cap and Cyke
3. Nightwing
4. Superman

Superman, however, is the guy you want ON your team, not nessearily leading it. Others have said it, he is a good role model but depends on Batman's brains too much. He could raise an army but somebody else would come up with the plan of attack. That's a much nicer way of saying it. & I agree mostly, but if one of Nightwing's teams sticks around long enough, he'll still eventually attain the seasoning Cap & Cyke have. It would be cool to see NW running the JLA and perhaps even bossing Bats around. He's been a hero since he was a lil kid and he was raised by one of the greatest tacticians around. He IS leadership material.

Wally West
The reason I'd give Cap the edge over Superman is because despite his super-soldier enhancements he is still very much a human and not invincible. Superman on the other hand is practically a god and people can't help but be inspired and have confidence if hes on their side. Superman often wonders if he'd have the same courage were he powerless like Batman, but we know Cap does possess that courage and will lead a team no matter what (i.e. confronting Thanos who had the Infinity Gems, despite having next to no chance).

UniOmni
I did good......But here's my list. Cap is first for one reason. He is like Superman, but not as Super. He leads a team filled with beings that can squash him if they wanted to, but they don't. Thor follows his commands. THOR!! The arrogant OdinSon himself!! They follow him, and he inspires them, just as Clark does. Even Spiderman, who can beat the stuffing outta Cap, hero worships him. That says alot to me.
Cyke is next simply cuz he puts up with Logan. That and his team is arguably the most underpowered in Comics, but they fight and defeat planetary threats. His tacticians skill is brilliant, and he brings a cohesion to the team that no other team in comics has imo. Go Cyke!!
Nightwing is next because he's lead teams of teens against Trigon, a Demon God who conquerored his universe in his double digits. Many other big threats as well. He isn't the most powerful in his team, but they follow him nonetheless. I was reading The Future is Now, and Superboy, a guy who could crush Nightwings head admitted his natural leadership of the team. Nightwing will eventually tie up with Cyke and Cap if DC uses him right.
Superman i don't see as a true leader, though many fans do. If i was on a team with Superman, i'd probably think we have a good chance of winning whatever conflicts arise too. Superman is extremely powerful by earth standards. Extremely!! I see Clark as the guy on the football team who can run fast, hit hard and catch. Plus he never makes you feel like a loser if he has to pick up the slack. But he isn't imo, the qb. (F#$% Smallville!!) Go to guy, but not the leader. He's the guy the captain tries to set the standard by. Superman doesn't need to be the leader.

juggernaut66666
cyclops can beat them if it is the one who ripped a planet whit optic blast

Black Adam
Originally posted by juggernaut66666
cyclops can beat them if it is the one who ripped a planet whit optic blast

this a match to see whos the better leader.

When did Cyce blow a planet apart?

juggernaut66666
i read about in juggernaut respect thread that juggs had taken a direct hit fom cyclops who ripped a planet with ptic blast

Black Adam
i read about in juggernaut respect thread that juggs had taken a direct hit fom cyclops who ripped a planet with ptic blast

That was cyce just talking big about his powers.

He can't blow apart a planet. He can do some serious damage. But not blow apart a planet.

Tron

That has absolutely nothing to do with this thread. Go read the first post.

Juntai
cyclops can beat them if it is the one who ripped a planet whit optic blast Did you just say Clops can beat Superman?

brainchild81
Supes would kill Cyclops, but Cyke is a waaay better leader, as is everbody else on the list.

Fanboy
Superman.

superbatman86
Actually I put Nightwing first because people like batman and superman have deffered to him when things get tough.Batman makes a horrible leader not becuase of his lack of ability but people skills and trust.NW has the brains of bats and the ability to inspire like supes.Why because his team knows he doesn't have any powers and is still going to be the last guy standing.Next I put Cap. great tacticion,good with people and lives by what he says.Then Cyke a very good leader but can be stand offish and a little cold to people.Last I put Supes because he's in a team he's not the planner.While anyone would follow him into fight the same can be said for Nw and Cap.

Wally West
Originally posted by superbatman86
NW has the brains of bats and the ability to inspire like supes.Why because his team knows he doesn't have any powers and is still going to be the last guy standing. I like that, nice way of putting it cool

brainchild81
Originally posted by superbatman86
Actually I put Nightwing first because people like batman and superman have deffered to him when things get tough.Batman makes a horrible leader not becuase of his lack of ability but people skills and trust.NW has the brains of bats and the ability to inspire like supes.Why because his team knows he doesn't have any powers and is still going to be the last guy standing.Next I put Cap. great tacticion,good with people and lives by what he says.Then Cyke a very good leader but can be stand offish and a little cold to people.Last I put Supes because he's in a team he's not the planner.While anyone would follow him into fight the same can be said for Nw and Cap. I like NW, but it'll be a while before he's better than Cyke or Cap

Tron
Well, we'll all find out just how good a leader Nightwing really is in the coming up Infinite Crisis stories, cause he'll be the one leading most of DC against the upcoming threat.

ExtraMision5555
Superman is more of a hero/icon than a leader, if anything, he leads by example, and inspires young minds to stay off the streets, avoid strangers, get straight a's in school, etc.. whoops

wrong topic

brainchild81
Originally posted by Tron
Well, we'll all find out just how good a leader Nightwing really is in the coming up Infinite Crisis stories, cause he'll be the one leading most of DC against the upcoming threat. They couldn't have chosen any better. NW IS the best leader in DC

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.