Would You Honestly Have Believed In Your Relegion Today If Your Parent/society Hadnt

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

leonheartmm
in all HONESTY, would ANY1 of the people here believe in the relegion {mostly organized relegion} if their parents or society hadnt brought them up in it, or if they hadnt spent most of their time around people with that point of view?

Mindship
Difficult to say because, if I wasn't exposed to it in growing up, how would I know whether I liked it or not? And this wouldn't apply just to religion but probably just about anything.

The above aside, while I certainly have Not agreed with everything I was taught about my faith, I have always admired its values, their practicality as evidenced by the survivability--indeed, capacity to flourish--of those who practiced them.

Bardiel13
Well, most people wouldn't. Then again, there are people who willfully convert to another religion.

MC Mike
If anyone answers yes, they are either severly misguided or adopted their faith/religion/whatever on their own.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by leonheartmm
in all HONESTY, would ANY1 of the people here believe in the relegion {mostly organized relegion} if their parents or society hadnt brought them up in it, or if they hadnt spent most of their time around people with that point of view?

I am a Buddhist and I was raised a Christian.

debbiejo
in all HONESTY, would ANY1 of the people here believe in the relegion {mostly organized relegion} if their parents or society hadnt brought them up in it, or if they hadnt spent most of their time around people with that point of view? I was brought up by Christian parents and yes, I believed what I was told until I was older and researched it out myself.

Storm
I am an agnostic but was raised a Christian.

Eis
Originally posted by Storm
I am an agnostic but was raised a Christian.
Same here but I was raised by catholics...

leonheartmm
no no, im talkin about people who BELIEVE in ORGANISED relegion. not just faith in what they believe to be true, faith is a part of the human conciosness, relegion isnt that innate.

RedAlertv2
Say are you asking would anyone be religious, if they hadnt been exposed to religion all their life?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by RedAlertv2
Say are you asking would anyone be religious, if they hadnt been exposed to religion all their life?

I think people would create a religion if they were never exposed to one. After all, I think that is what happened in the first place.

leonheartmm
Originally posted by RedAlertv2

what im sayin is that the only reason why people believe that they have been TOUCHED by god, or been ENLIGHTENED or helped by christ only really believe in it cause they were brought up to believe in it. i wana see how many people are actually gonna say that even if they werent brought a completely different way THEY as PEOPLE would always have chosen THIS "apparent" right path.

debbiejo
Hmmmm.....There are people that have not been raised in a certain religion and are more athiest and then did get religion. I think it's a sense of belonging to something higher, and if people are telling you that this is the way for it then they'll join. Especially when they hear the "Hell" message.

Bardock42
Originally posted by MC Mike
If anyone answers yes, they are either severly misguided or adopted their faith/religion/whatever on their own.

No shit.

Originally posted by Storm
I am an agnostic but was raised a Christian. Originally posted by Eis
Same here but I was raised by catholics...

Me too, although it was not really conditioning. All very liberal.

Makedde

I wasn't raised in any religion. I think parents brainwash their kids into becoming hateful little homophobic brats.

FeceMan
I've asked myself that. I honestly don't know.
Originally posted by Makedde
I wasn't raised in any religion. I think parents brainwash their kids into becoming hateful little homophobic brats.
You're such an idiot. Will you please stop posting everywhere?

Atlantis001

debbiejo
Originally posted by Atlantis001
and I had enough proof of this. Me too.

Regulus A Black
Yes, I would. From the time I was born until I was about 14, I only believed it because my parents believed it. I was the only member in my school that believed it. I feel away from my church at the age of 14, and studied the scriptures, prayed, and sincerly asked God, what was true. For two years I did this, and I finally came to the realization of what was true. When I was 16, I came back into my religion stronger in my testimony then when I had fallen away. It took me two years of being alone, and studing with real intent to find out that it was true. It has been almost three years since I have come back, and I am so happy that I did, I have gone through so many problems in my life, but because of the lifestyle my church teaches me to live, and the friends I have in the church, and my faith in God, I have been able to overcome everyone of them. I love God more then anything, and I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is the true church. It took me two years to gain my testimony. and I am so thankful for those two years, if it had not been for those two years, who knows where I would be. My advice to you, is to not care what your parents believe, go out and study with real intent having faith in Christ, and he will manifest the truth of all things unto you by the power of the Holy Ghost.

debbiejo
Ohhhhhhh man, not another one....So, you're in the true church, and everyone else is in the false church???....I guess there will be a lot of people in hell.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by debbiejo
Ohhhhhhh man, not another one....So, you're in the true church, and everyone else is in the false church???....I guess there will be a lot of people in hell.

No, he is just another victim of the big lie, just like I used to be. These slaves are so brainwashed that they don't need chains to control them.

maham
i owe it alot to my parents n thank God that i was born to a Muslim family
mayb i wudn't b religious without my parents but than k God i m ,well to some extent

Atlantis001
Thank God I am gifted of something called "free will", so I can choose my beliefs by myself using my discriminatory ability to distinguish between what makes sense and what do not makes sense.

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
No, he is just another victim of the big lie, just like I used to be. These slaves are so brainwashed that they don't need chains to control them.

Good... because chains are expensive. Lol

debbiejo
Thank God I am gifted of something called "free will", so I can choose my beliefs by myself using my discriminatory ability to distinguish between what makes sense and what do not makes sense.

thumbup1

Atlantis001
thumbup1

I always knew I was brilliant ! Happy Dance

lil bitchiness

Of course not. Organised religion relies on the father to son system to survive.

debbiejo
I always knew I was brilliant ! Happy Dance Well you did write the "Chronicles of Atlantis'..... whistle

Shakyamunison
Well you did write the "Chronicles of Atlantis'..... whistle

Are we off-topic? roll eyes (sarcastic) offtopic

laughing

ushomefree
Would I honestly believe in a religious belief system if my parents or society hadn't? Absolutely!

As a youngster, my parents were not religious at all, nor were any of my immediate family members. As my memory recalls in those days, I had never heard the name of any religious leader, to include Jesus Christ. For example, Christmas was just a holiday to exchange gifts and get drunk. As for society, the majority knows as much about world religions as they do quantum mechanics. Some people are willing to admit that they lack knowledge; others resist such notions and hold their false assumptions as fact. People like this create a lot of confusion. World religions are not as dubious as people may claim. Just like the real world, religions too have objective truth behind them. For some religions, objectivity poses a great threat, whereas others are validated.

What is objective truth? Example: I own a black 2006 Supercharged Chevrolet Cobalt; that is a fact! Now, some people will deny my claims in having such a car without conducting any research. They will simply make an assumption and hold it as true. To these people, any one claiming that I have a black 2006 Supercharged Chevrolet Cobalt will be labled as intolerant. Regarding matters of fact, I do own a black 2006 Supercharged Cobalt. So, how is it that some people agree with me and the others do not? Well, one group investigated my claims and asked to see a proof of insurance, registration, loan documentation, billing statements, etc., and the others did not. For them, they may have made an assumption that a black 2006 Supercharged Chevrolet Cobalt was too expensive for me, and that was that.

Some people apply the same kind of reasoning to world religions. Some people investigate matters, and others do not. Some people may think that all religions are correct, and others may think that all religions are wrong. Even more, some people claim that one religion is true, and the rest are false. Point is, some people are wrong! It is impossible for everyone to be right in their views at the same time. The truth remains no matter what people may think; referring to my anology above, I own a black 2006 Supercharged Chevrolet Cobalt whether people choose to believe it or not!

I am a Christian, and I agree that Jesus Christ is the Lord and Savior of the entire world! Jesus Christ is the Savior NOT because I "think" so, but because that is what the facts point to. I have studied world religions vigurously, and the religions that withstood the most scrutiny were Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. And so I continued to study those, and I was forced to except Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior at the end. If you are curious to read my findings, click on the hyperlink. Once the page loads, look to the upper right and select "Christian Apologetics (Answering the Skeptic)." Thank you and take care.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=35170013

leonheartmm
erm, that was a LOT of talk, but for SOME reason none of it convinced me that christianity is right.

debbiejo
Originally posted by ushomefree

I am a Christian, and I agree that Jesus Christ is the Lord and Savior of the entire world! Jesus Christ is the Savior NOT because I "think" so, but because that is what the facts point to. I have studied world religions vigurously, and the religions that withstood the most scrutiny were Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. And so I continued to study those, and I was forced to except Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior at the end. If you are curious to read my findings, click on the hyperlink. Once the page loads, look to the upper right and select "Christian Apologetics (Answering the Skeptic)." Thank you and take care.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=35170013 I mean no disrespect ushomefree, but others have also studied religions and other sciences and came to different conclusions when studding out their own faith.....So, are they condemned to hell just because their findings are different?

How would you explain miracles in different religions or beliefs around the world...healing's? Are they of god or Satan???....People are healed. There are documentations of it along with videos and televised TV programs....Non Christians in China is an example.

ushomefree
When people "sincerely" and "honestly" study the claims of world religions, it becomes bluntly obvious which of the countless are to be taken seriously. Animistic, polytheistic, and pantheistic religions lack grounded evidence to support them. Monotheistic religions on the other hand, have no problems relating and corresponding to the real world, and can be verified under the respected fields of secular history, science, archeology, etc. Out of the monotheistic religions, my findings show that Christianity is not to be taken lightly. There is both internal and external evidence to support the claims of Jesus Christ. Moreover, there is even evidence outside of the Bible to support Jesus Christ being the Messiah. This fact is not exclusive all in itself, but it sure makes one think. Especially since some religions, along with pertaining scripture, make claims that have zero evidence to substantiate them. Absolutely nothing! Don't take my word for it; "actually" study! People may have claimed to have studied, but I question their actions. I'm sorry, I just can't understand how one would take (for example) Mormonism more credible than Christianity, or Judaism more credible over Christianity. I will never understand that, and either would people who also have done indepth study. Christianity may be false indeed, but it is the only religion in the entire world that has evidence upon evidence to support it. It is ridiculous how deep Christianity is, and it is very intimidating.

As for miracles? I believe in them, but they come from God alone, not people chanting in native tongue, or claiming to have special gifts. Most miracles that people witness is in the form of entertainment, not pure motives. TV evangelists are con-artists! Now, the Bible states that not "everything good" comes from God. Some of what people experience are very real indeed, but they materialize from demonic spirits bent on deception. And this deception is thwarted to aid in denying the Christ Jesus. One of the biggest prophecies ever written in the Bible pertains to the coming of a one world religion and government. This is huge, and you can read about this in today's newspaper! Not that such a reality would happen in our generation, but you can clearly see that the foundation is being laid out. If prophecy lacks the ablity to sway people's thinking into having faith in Jesus Christ, I don't know what will? But they will have faith in what a neighbor or friend tells them about Christ. And who and what they should believe in. I don't get it.

Debbiojo, I think you are one of the most knowledgable people on this forum, but you have got to get your head out of poor sources of information. I am through with this topic. I feel as though no one takes me seriously, and just want to argue. I am not here for that.

Take care every one. And may your hearts pray in Jesus's name to help you find your way towards the truth. Amen.

Shakyamunison

Himo
When people "sincerely" and "honestly" study the claims of world religions, it becomes bluntly obvious which of the countless are to be taken seriously. Animistic, polytheistic, and pantheistic religions lack grounded evidence to support them. Monotheistic religions on the other hand, have no problems relating and corresponding to the real world, and can be verified under the respected fields of secular history, science, archeology, etc. Out of the monotheistic religions, my findings show that Christianity is not to be taken lightly. There is both internal and external evidence to support the claims of Jesus Christ. Moreover, there is even evidence outside of the Bible to support Jesus Christ being the Messiah.
This fact is not exclusive all in itself, but it sure makes one think. Especially since some religions, along with pertaining scripture, make claims that have zero evidence to substantiate them. Absolutely nothing! Don't take my word for it; "actually" study! People may have claimed to have studied, but I question their actions. I'm sorry, I just can't understand how one would take (for example) Mormonism more credible than Christianity, or Judaism more credible over Christianity. I will never understand that, and either would people who also have done indepth study. Christianity may be false indeed, but it is the only religion in the entire world that has evidence upon evidence to support it. It is ridiculous how deep Christianity is, and it is very intimidating.

As for miracles? I believe in them, but they come from God alone, not people chanting in native tongue, or claiming to have special gifts. Most miracles that people witness is in the form of entertainment, not pure motives. TV evangelists are con-artists! Now, the Bible states that not "everything good" comes from God. Some of what people experience are very real indeed, but they materialize from demonic spirits bent on deception. And this deception is thwarted to aid in denying the Christ Jesus. One of the biggest prophecies ever written in the Bible pertains to the coming of a one world religion and government. This is huge, and you can read about this in today's newspaper! Not that such a reality would happen in our generation, but you can clearly see that the foundation is being laid out. If prophecy lacks the ablity to sway people's thinking into having faith in Jesus Christ, I don't know what will? But they will have faith in what a neighbor or friend tells them about Christ. And who and what they should believe in. I don't get it.

Debbiojo, I think you are one of the most knowledgable people on this forum, but you have got to get your head out of poor sources of information. I am through with this topic. I feel as though no one takes me seriously, and just want to argue. I am not here for that.

Take care every one. And may your hearts pray in Jesus's name to help you find your way towards the truth. Amen.

Animistic, polytheistic, and pantheistic religions lack evidence since they have been oppressed for the last 1,500 years, not because they're groundless. Monotheistic religions have no trouble relating to world events SINCE THEY WROTE THEM. Yes, there is evidence Jesus is alive, but is there evidence he's the Saviour? No.

Thanks for contradicting yourself. Evidence of Christianity IS JEWISH. Jesus was Jewish, his preachigs were Jewish, the Apostles were Jewish. Christianity is a spinoff of Judiasm, and so to say Judaism is uncredible is stupid.

Bye Bye.

finti
Would You Honestly Have Believed In Your Relegion Today If Your Parent/society Hadnt My parents were christians, Im not so.............

debbiejo

As for miracles? . And this deception is thwarted to aid in denying the Christ Jesus.

See how this doesn't make since? Miracles are a good thing and you're calling it a deception by Satan just because it's not done in the name of Jesus....

leonheartmm
Originally posted by finti
Would You Honestly Have Believed In Your Relegion Today If Your Parent/society Hadnt My parents were christians, Im not so.............

im talkin about any people{n there are a LOT} who STILL believe. what i mean to say is almost EVERY1 who still believes IS brainwashed n does it not from their own mind n conciounce but because of fear n hammerin dogmas into their head.

ushomefree
Animistic, polytheistic, and pantheistic religions oppress and defeat themselves. People just do not take them seriously; they lack evidence. The problem is not people oppressing this or that, the problem is the religion itself. If I invited you to worship rocks with me, you would not take me seriously. But, if I had grounded evidence to prove that a particular rock was God, of one of many Gods, or a path to God, you would possibly consider it. Many religions are strictly based on heritage or culture... not the real world.

Christianity is not a spin off of Judaism. Christians recognized fulfilled prophecy written in the Old Testament about the coming Messiah; the Jews denied their Savior just as scripture indicated they would. And the overwhelming majority of Jews still do today. Some Jewish sects have actually removed Isaiah 53 from scripture (written 700 years before Christ) because it is too descriptive of Jesus. Moving on.

I am not saying that miracles themselves are a bad thing. If you are dying of terminal cancer and beat the odds, I would consider that a good thing. What I meant by "not everything good" comes from God is that miracles may seem like miracles, but they could simply have been natural circumstance and not something supernatural. The power of suggestion goes along way, especially over death. As for pure supernatural events, it would be very much impossible for one to know for sure, but miraculous healings may be from God. Remember, however, that God is not an entertainer. Satan on the other hand is, and will use all resources avaliable to deceive the masses. I think TV evangelists are a great example. People travel from all over the world to see people like Benny Hinn to be healed and so forth, but what they do not realize it that they put their faith in Benny Hinn and not Jesus Christ! People that put their own lives in the hands of another man or woman are decieved. Jesus Christ is the resurrection... not Benny Hinn. Understand?

Shakyamunison

Kella
I think...had I grown up not knowing about organized religion...never knowing Christ...that I would still be a very spiritual person. Would I worship something? Probably not...since I would not know what I would be worshipping.

I would be a very earth-spiritual person. I love the energy of nature and the power of meditation. I would believe that there was a Supreme Creator of the earth and all life, and I would respect it (him, her, whatever), but if I did not know it...I could not commit myself to it.

Would I be an "eat, drink, and be merry" kinda person...no. That's not who I am. It is not because I am LDS. I just choose not to do certain things because I feel...broken off from the spirit of the Earth. I become self-focused and self-loathing. I'd rather feel the peace and tranquility of the Earth.

smile

ushomefree
Shakyamunison

I do not elevate Jesus as Messiah simply on the basis of scripture stating so. Nor do I embrace the Bible as the Word of God simply because Jews, Christians, and Muslims state it to be. If that were the case, it would prove impossible to have "genuine" faith in Christ and the Bible. On the contrary, Jesus must be the Messiah due to circumstantial evidence revealed, and the same applies to the Bible. For example, if the Bible stated that a one world religion and government would materialize in the latter days, scripture would need circumstancial evidence "outside of itself" to support those claims, not self-imposed philosophy or "feelings" of it being true. Unfortunately, I do not have the ability to influence better understanding, or provoke curiosity. Only you have the power to do so. As the old saying goes: You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink. No pun intended, but I doubt that you have studied biblical scripture and put it to the test. I does not take all day to recognize sunshine, and speaking on matters of fact regarding biblical scripture, you seem to have missed the obvious. I have stated, since my first entry posted on this forum, that all the evidence in the world does not prove with "absolute" acccuracy that the Bible is "actually" the Word of God, or that Jesus is the Messiah. However, the evidence certainly puts things into perspective. It is a powerful case, and (again) I doubt that you have "sincerely" studied world religions, especially Christianity. When you say that Christianity is a spin off of Judaism, that really shows your ignorance- lack of knowledge I mean. Jesus Christ founded Christiantiy, not mere men starting a new religion for kicks on a weekend. Christians recognized the Messiah as prophesied in the Old Testament, Jews did not; they still pray for the coming Messiah. But, the Messiah has already come! Read Isaiah 53. If you are willing to pause for a moment and read something informative completely free of dogmatic nonsense, click the hyperlink below and read "Christian Apologetics (Answering the Skeptic)." The blog doesn't begin to present all information avaliable to study, but it does put things into an organized intelligent fashion, having no statements beginning with: I think, I believe, or I feel. It's evidence. Read it and then make a decision. It will be an educated one.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=35170013

Shakyamunison
Shakyamunison

I do not elevate Jesus as Messiah simply on the basis of scripture stating so. Nor do I embrace the Bible as the Word of God simply because Jews, Christians, and Muslims state it to be. If that were the case, it would prove impossible to have "genuine" faith in Christ and the Bible. On the contrary, Jesus must be the Messiah due to circumstantial evidence revealed, and the same applies to the Bible. For example, if the Bible stated that a one world religion and government would materialize in the latter days, scripture would need circumstancial evidence "outside of itself" to support those claims, not self-imposed philosophy or "feelings" of it being true. Unfortunately, I do not have the ability to influence better understanding, or provoke curiosity. Only you have the power to do so. As the old saying goes: You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink. No pun intended, but I doubt that you have studied biblical scripture and put it to the test. I does not take all day to recognize sunshine, and speaking on matters of fact regarding biblical scripture, you seem to have missed the obvious. I have stated, since my first entry posted on this forum, that all the evidence in the world does not prove with "absolute" acccuracy that the Bible is "actually" the Word of God, or that Jesus is the Messiah. However, the evidence certainly puts things into perspective. It is a powerful case, and (again) I doubt that you have "sincerely" studied world religions, especially Christianity. When you say that Christianity is a spin off of Judaism, that really shows your ignorance- lack of knowledge I mean. Christians recognized the Messiah as prophesied in the Old Testament, Jews did not; they still pray for the coming Messiah. But, the Messiah has already come! Read Isaiah 53. If you are willing to pause for a moment and read something informative completely free of dogmatic nonsense, click the hyperlink below and read "Christian Apologetics (Answering the Skeptic)." The blog doesn't begin to present all information avaliable to study, but it does put things into an organized intelligent fashion, having no statements beginning with: I think, I believe, or I feel. It's evidence. Read it and then make a decision. It will be an educated one.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=35170013

So, you have not read many of my posts. The reason that Jesus can not be the Messiah is because the Messiah must be human. Jesus is considered to be divine and therefore disqualified. That is the modern view of Jesus by the Jews. However, I do believe that Jesus was the Messiah for he was not divine and we now live in the kingdom of god.

debbiejo
Well Jesus did say "The kingdom of god is within you." big grin

Shakyamunison
Well Jesus did say "The kingdom of god is within you." big grin

Yes, that is what I am getting at. stick out tongue I wish people would live for now and here instead of some dead guy who died along time ago.

ushomefree

Shakyamunison

ushomefree
I didn't realize that I was. I thought we were having a discussion here. Sorry.

debbiejo
For example, if the Bible stated that a one world religion and government would materialize in the latter days, scripture would need circumstancial evidencehttp://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=35170013 I don't believe I've read a scripture that states that there will be a one world religion or a one world government....Having the "Mark of the Beast" and not being able to buy or sell doesn't automatically mean one world government....and I've not read anything about a "one world religion"....Though many churches teach this.

Shakyamunison

You can't convert me, and good works will not get you into heaven, only by grace can you enter heaven.

debbiejo

Shakyamunison

You wish to have a discussion with me? Please keep your posts short. There is no need to quote the bible, tell me your point and I'll take your word for it. Oh, and, don't insult me, or say I am ignorant, and I will be happy to discuss with you.

Kella
You can't convert me, and good works will not get you into heaven, only by grace can you enter heaven.

Ah, but good works and grace will double your pleasure. laughing out loud

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Kella
Ah, but good works and grace will double your pleasure. laughing out loud

laughing But wouldn't that be sinful?

Regulus A Black

No, that is not true I never said there would be a lot of people in hell, in fact I don't believe anybody will be in hell.

Brainwashed? what do you mean brainwashed, brainwashing is a process where somebody takes you, and through a long process of torture get you to believe what they want you to believe. Like I said I was by myself for two years, I felt alone, I knew I couldn't believe off of my parents testimonies. I came to a knowledge of the truthfulness by myself, through Jesus Christ the Lord. And if I am brainwashed, I don't care. I live a better life then most people in the world. I live a healthy life, it is easy for me to keep the commandments of God. When I go through trials, not only can I turn to God, but I can turn to my friends, friends who have gone through trials like the ones I go though. So if you want to say im brainwashed, then say it, I forgive you for it, because I know the truth, and know that if I will not forgive you, it is a greater sin. I do not care what others believe, I am not trying to convince you to believe what I believe, I am just letting you know that I would believe even if nobody else did. I would believe even if I was going to be killed for it. I love my life. The LDS people are the nicest people I have ever known, they truly live as their church teaches, unlike most people I know. Some members may not, but that is there problem, not mine kand not yours. Everybody has their agency to believe what they want, it is something God gave us, and is something he will never violate. I know that the church I belong to is true, but that does not mean that the members of the church are the only ones going to heaven and everybody else is going to hell. Hell is only temporary, nobody will be condemed to Hell for eternity. God is a loving father, and would never let his children suffer for all eternity, he loves everyone of them, and if you ask him to be in your life sincerly having faith in Christ, he will join you in your life, if you are living as he would have you live.

Shakyamunison

finti
so if I bring Jeff Buckleys "Grace" album I can enter heaven

more respect for those compare tho whom?

no just let many of them suffer in their time on earth is enough

Shakyamunison
...more respect for those compare tho whom?...

When compared to most Christians. The Mormons have it together as far as community and self-responsibility. Now, Catholics are generally more open-minded and have some things in common with Buddhists, especially the east Orthodox Church.

finti
didnt know the mormons was considered as christians, and catholics are open minded????????? yeah tell that to gay people or the producers of birth control

Shakyamunison
didnt know the mormons was considered as christians, and catholics are open minded????????? yeah tell that to gay people or the producers of birth control

Mormons not Christian, why would you say that? Their mythology is just a little (maybe more) different from other Christians.

And for Catholics, I didn't say they are not Christian. laughing

finti
well they tend to follow their own way more than the way of the New Testament, seems like their own prophet rank higher than that of jesus christ so.......

Shakyamunison
well they tend to follow their own way more than the way of the New Testament, seems like their own prophet rank higher than that of jesus christ so.......

It is just another Christian religion to me.

finti
yea they originated as a christian but as I said they are more into themselves than their christ

Shakyamunison
yea they originated as a christian but as I said they are more into themselves than their christ

OK, why in the @$%# should I care. big grin

finti
to mess with their minds devil

Shakyamunison
to mess with their minds devil

laughing evil face

Femi32
Yes. If my parents never went to church, God would have revealed his plan to me anyway. I did not really become a Christian until I was 14. Before that, it was just a religion conflicting with evolution and my uncertainty about life.

After I was saved, I still had second thoughts about evolution. Ultimately, I asked myself who is telling the truth, God or man. If I said man, that would make God a liar and my salvation would be worthless. If I chose God, it would mean that I discredit everything evolutionist say. I chose God.

Besides, many non-believers in the past believed the world was flat or held by Atlas. They were wrong. The book of Job states the earth hangs on nothing. They believed leaking blood would cure a sickness. They were wrong. Genesis states the life of every living thing is in blood. The Bible has science too. big grin

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Femi32
Yes. If my parents never went to church, God would have revealed his plan to me anyway. I did not really become a Christian until I was 14. Before that, it was just a religion conflicting with evolution and my uncertainty about life.

After I was saved, I still had second thoughts about evolution. Ultimately, I asked myself who is telling the truth, God or man. If I said man, that would make God a liar and my salvation would be worthless. If I chose God, it would mean that I discredit everything evolutionist say. I chose God.

Besides, many non-believers in the past believed the world was flat or held by Atlas. They were wrong. The book of Job states the earth hangs on nothing. They believed leaking blood would cure a sickness. They were wrong. Genesis states the life of every living thing is in blood. The Bible has science too. big grin

But what if it's all man made?

finti
ehh no that was the christians led by the vatican who believed that

again no, certain things can be cured by blood leaking

ushomefree
Mormons are not Christians. To Mormons, the Bible is the Word of God insofar as it is correctly translated. There are three sacred books in addition to the Bible: the Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and The Pearl of Great Price. Mormons believe the earth is one of several inhabited planetes ruled over by gods and goddesses, who were at one time humans on other planets. Mormonism is polytheistic at its core. The Trinity consists of three gods born in the diffferent times and places; the Father begot the Son and the Holy Ghost through a goddess wife in heaven. Humankind is of the same species as God. God begot all humans in heaven as offspring of his wife or wives, who were sent to earth for the potential exaltation to godhood. Lastly, mormons believe that salvation is resurrection, but exaltation to godhood, for eternal life in the celestial heaven, must be earned through self-meriting works.

finti
and they dont drink coke

debbiejo
SDA's believe caffeine is a sin.....

finti
yeah what a naughty plant

debbiejo
Mormons are not Christians. To Mormons, the Bible is the Word of God insofar as it is correctly translated. There are three sacred books in addition to the Bible: the Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and The Pearl of Great Price. Mormons believe the earth is one of several inhabited planetes ruled over by gods and goddesses, who were at one time humans on other planets. Mormonism is polytheistic at its core. The Trinity consists of three gods born in the diffferent times and places; the Father begot the Son and the Holy Ghost through a goddess wife in heaven. Humankind is of the same species as God. God begot all humans in heaven as offspring of his wife or wives, who were sent to earth for the potential exaltation to godhood. Lastly, mormons believe that salvation is resurrection, but exaltation to godhood, for eternal life in the celestial heaven, must be earned through self-meriting works. Maybe there could be life on other planets......Hmmm, maybe the Mormons are right.......It goes well with the myth stories..

Oh, and for the Catholic church, they follow more after the Pope than the bible....He's their real authority and leader...

Shakyamunison
Mormons are not Christians. To Mormons, the Bible is the Word of God insofar as it is correctly translated. There are three sacred books in addition to the Bible: the Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and The Pearl of Great Price. Mormons believe the earth is one of several inhabited planetes ruled over by gods and goddesses, who were at one time humans on other planets. Mormonism is polytheistic at its core. The Trinity consists of three gods born in the diffferent times and places; the Father begot the Son and the Holy Ghost through a goddess wife in heaven. Humankind is of the same species as God. God begot all humans in heaven as offspring of his wife or wives, who were sent to earth for the potential exaltation to godhood. Lastly, mormons believe that salvation is resurrection, but exaltation to godhood, for eternal life in the celestial heaven, must be earned through self-meriting works.

No stranger then any other Christian religion.

Regulus A Black
ok, i have been over this before not in this thread, but Mormons are Christians, by the definition of the word Christian. so please people do reseach before you go accusing things

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Regulus A Black
ok, i have been over this before not in this thread, but Mormons are Christians, by the definition of the word Christian. so please people do reseach before you go accusing things

Some people want the world to be a certain way, and if Mormons or Catholic of any other group don't fit that way, they will want to exclude you. However, this is their problem.

ushomefree
Who are you referring to Shaky? May I call you that?

Shakyamunison
Who are you referring to Shaky? May I call you that?

People who let hate driven them.

And yes, you can call me Shaky. big grin

finti
mormonism have been to conceited of their own importance to be true followers of the original purpose of these so called teachings of jesus.

actually you just described both the mormon and catholic way and views

debbiejo
Originally posted by Regulus A Black
ok, i have been over this before not in this thread, but Mormons are Christians Teachings of Christ" PLUS"...That's why they are not considered Christians....

Kella
Why are we back on that topic? confused

If there was no religion....ANY religion...what would you believe in? What would you follow?

Me, spiritual all the way. My faith comes from within me. It's not about the teachings that I've been taught...though there are some really cool ones in the LDS religion. My faith comes from a knowledge of something greater out there...something I've experienced first hand, not something I learned from a book or a class.

By the way...there is this really awesome book. It's spiritual, but it's not like...hmm....best description...it's about the energy that created life and how we can manipulate it and use it to become more enlightened beings.

Uhm....Amazon.com link for you....big grin

The Celestine Prophecy

really...a great book. I've read the first one...and most of the second one...and I could hardly put them down. No, they aren't Mormon anything. Cuz I'm sure someone reading this is wondering. There are a lot of truths in these books...mostly just fun things to try. It's a novel...but a really spiritual one. smile

finti
as I do today, myself

debbiejo

By the way...there is this really awesome book. It's spiritual, but it's not like...hmm....best description...it's about the energy that created life and how we can manipulate it and use it to become more enlightened beings.

Uhm....Amazon.com link for you....big grin

Another one I though was good that I did pick up was "Converstions with god, an uncommon dialog"....This is not a "Christian type booK"URL= http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0446671002/sr=8-1/qid=1140585208/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-7219785-6259338?%5Fencoding=UTF8]The Celestine Prophecy

really...a great book. I've read the first one...and most of the second one...and I could hardly put them down. No, they aren't Mormon anything. Cuz I'm sure someone reading this is wondering. There are a lot of truths in these books...mostly just fun things to try. It's a novel...but a really spiritual one. smile That's a very popular book....I've heard a lot about it, though haven't picked it up myself...I did research it a little on the net though.......Different ideas in there... yes

Another good book that I did pick up was "Conversations with god, an uncommon dialog"....It is not a Christian book....But very good and goes with some sciences well.

Kella
I may just check that out.

I really like the Celestine Prophecy. I found it by accident, but really got into it. The whole giving and recieving energy from plants and people....I totally relate. I can even do that.

smile

debbiejo
I may just check that out.

I really like the Celestine Prophecy. I found it by accident, but really got into it. The whole giving and recieving energy from plants and people....I totally relate. I can even do that.

smile Me too..........I've done it....Even taking a type of class in that right now..........Many people that don't understand the properties of it might think it's evil, but it's just the way things work... yes

"Conversations with God" talks about many of the same things...energy and things.....and how they inter react with everything else.....

Kella
I think that's so old-fashioned. Everything is evil because they don't understand.

Simple...to me...as a Christian...God created everything in the world, I am part of the world, other people are part of the world, plants are living parts of the world as well, the Earth itself is a living entity. So why can't we all be connected by one force? Energy, spirituality...whatever you want to call it?

I don't deny God, but I embrace that I'm part of His creation...and I embrace His creation as a part of me.

See...not evil...simple.

debbiejo
I think that's so old-fashioned. Everything is evil because they don't understand.

Simple...to me...as a Christian...God created everything in the world, I am part of the world, other people are part of the world, plants are living parts of the world as well, the Earth itself is a living entity. So why can't we all be connected by one force? Energy, spirituality...whatever you want to call it?

I don't deny God, but I embrace that I'm part of His creation...and I embrace His creation as a part of me.

See...not evil...simple. Exactly....I believe we don't yet have all the answers on things, though I was raised Pentecostal where everything is evil...lots of dogma.....but I believe everything is also connected, it's just the way it works....More and more quantum sciences are starting to acknowledge this.....and with all the many studies, it even goes into some metaphysical type things......But god is in or apart of all things..not a person though..At least not the one in the bible for me..............imo

NOT EVIL!!......yep

MicahLynn
So, you have not read many of my posts. The reason that Jesus can not be the Messiah is because the Messiah must be human. Jesus is considered to be divine and therefore disqualified. That is the modern view of Jesus by the Jews. However, I do believe that Jesus was the Messiah for he was not divine and we now live in the kingdom of god.

Jesus was fully God and fully man... That's part of the miracle of it all.

MicahLynn
Yes, that is what I am getting at. stick out tongue I wish people would live for now and here instead of some dead guy who died along time ago.

Yes, Jesus died, but on the third day, He rose from the dead. Satan thought he won, but he was wrong. After all, you can't keep a good man down.

MicahLynn

You aren't wasting your time. I am proud to have a fellow believer doing all that he can to save the lost. Continue to do as God asks you to, and you will never regret it. It is good to be able to answer peoples questions; it makes you stronger in your own faith. Thank you, and don't let them get you down.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by MicahLynn
Yes, Jesus died, but on the third day, He rose from the dead. Satan thought he won, but he was wrong. After all, you can't keep a good man down.

Satan is a Myth and not real. All things have good and evil in them including God.

MicahLynn

You contradict yourself so much! One minute you say you are Buddhist, the next you are quoting what you think is scripture. No, you can't get to heaven by works, but once you are saved from sin and transformed, you start doing good works because they are the right thing to do. You no longer go living in the sin that you were saved from. I encourage you to decide what you really believe and stop discouraging people that believe the Truth.

MicahLynn
Satan is a Myth and not real. All things have good and evil in them including God.

I'd be careful saying things like that. Really.

Shakyamunison
You contradict yourself so much! One minute you say you are Buddhist, the next you are quoting what you think is scripture. No, you can't get to heaven by works, but once you are saved from sin and transformed, you start doing good works because they are the right thing to do. You no longer go living in the sin that you were saved from. I encourage you to decide what you really believe and stop discouraging people that believe the Truth.

Your truth is a myth. I try to speak to you in words that you will understand. Over 20 years ago I was a Christian so I know the bible well, but it has been a long time so I don't always get my scriptures right. Your encouragement is appreciated, but I know what you are really saying. You should learn something from the Mormons.

AOR

Buddism does not deny the believer to indulge himself/herself in the knowledge of other faiths as long as the faith promotes Love. Therefore he is in his right to quote what he believes and as a Christian (assuming that's what you are) you have to be tolerant and open minded to the suggestion.

Second: work alone doesn't save, but unison with faith. That doesn't mean that without faith you can't do good works.

Third: Perhaps you need to learn that the "Truth" does not take form in one thing, and one thing alone. There is truth found in all things, and if you deny that than you deny Truth. From which you shouldn't be doing considering your faith is based on Love and growing knowledge towards a God. And besides if your not prepared to face the barrages of flaw in your faith, than perhaps you shouldn't be believing...

AOR
Your truth is a myth. I try to speak to you in words that you will understand. Over 20 years ago I was a Christian so I know the bible well, but it has been a long time so I don't always get my scriptures right. Your encouragement is appreciated, but I know what you are really saying. You should learn something from the Mormons.

Sounds more like Lutheran to me...

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by AOR
...And besides if your not prepared to face the barrages of flaw in your faith, than perhaps you shouldn't be believing...

I do agree, week faith is not worth having.

AOR

clap yes the Buddist and the Catholic agree big grin I feel a little more complete...

GodIsAwesome

I just thought I'd say that I actually believe in/joined a religion that my family/friends/co-workers were all opposed to. The area where I live isn't in favor of the church that I joined. So I would say that it is possible to fully and whole-heartedly believe in a religion that you havn't been raised around.

that's just my two cents.

debbiejo
You aren't wasting your time. I am proud to have a fellow believer doing all that he can to save the lost. Lost!...Whose to say I'm lost, maybe it's you that are lost. Lost people many times don't even know they are lost until it's too late because they've wasted so much time thinking they were on the right path.

I'd be careful saying things like that. Really. This comes from someone who is lost....Because Satan is a myth.

Shakyamunison
I'd be careful saying things like that. Really.

I am sorry that you are afraid.

FeceMan
Seven days worth of faith?

It is better to be a blind devotee with absolute conviction than a wishy-washy follower made out of habit.

MicahLynn

I will give you one guarantee: you were never a Christian. If you were, you would never change from it. You don't know the Truth and then decide to believe the lies. You never truly knew God and the gift of His Son Jesus, for if you had you would be so grateful and would never consider turning away from Him. I understand that all people fail and stumble and fall, but I truly believe that once you really know Christ there is no going back to the way things were. Once He transforms your life, you don't want to go back to the way things were without Him. And, by the way, the Bible says that even satan and his demons know the Word and tremble. Even satan quoted it to Jesus in the wilderness. So, knowing the Bible doesn't make you a Christian. It is so much deeper than that. I'm not even going to bother speaking on the Mormon topic.

MicahLynn
Lost!...Whose to say I'm lost, maybe it's you that are lost. Lost people many times don't even know they are lost until it's too late because they've wasted so much time thinking they were on the right path.

This comes from someone who is lost....Because Satan is a myth.

Funny thing is, I'm positive you are speaking of yourself when you speak of the lost not even knowing they are lost until it is too late. What do you believe that it could ever be too late? Seeing as how you don't believe in satan and hell, what would make it too late?

MicahLynn
I am sorry that you are afraid.

FYI... Evil is the opposite of Good. God is good, perfect, holy, complete, He is the exact opposite of evil. They don't go together. They aren't synonymous or parallel in ANY way.

And, my definition of fear is different than yours. My fear is the same as reverance. Because God is so perfect, He must be revered. I can't take God lightly, He is too powerful and wonderful for that. I only wish that you would be more careful in the way you speak of Him, but I guess that has to start with you believing in Him.

debbiejo
Funny thing is, I'm positive you are speaking of yourself when you speak of the lost not even knowing they are lost until it is too late. What do you believe that it could ever be too late? Seeing as how you don't believe in satan and hell, what would make it too late? No, I'm not speaking of myself....Lost as in they've wasted their lives trying to please the inappeasable god for fear of hell and demons and eternal suffering. Going through anguish about their every action. Was I good enough? We're my thoughts right? Did I remember to ask forgiveness for this action? They spend their whole life HOPING they did it all right and crossed every "T". Because if not, they're damned. Meanwhile, they've missed out on living.

All for a myth.

Shakyamunison
FYI... Evil is the opposite of Good. God is good, perfect, holy, complete, He is the exact opposite of evil. They don't go together. They aren't synonymous or parallel in ANY way.

And, my definition of fear is different than yours. My fear is the same as reverance. Because God is so perfect, He must be revered. I can't take God lightly, He is too powerful and wonderful for that. I only wish that you would be more careful in the way you speak of Him, but I guess that has to start with you believing in Him.

I am not speaking blasphemy. God is everything. Good and evil do not exist without each other; their true nature is Myoho, life and death. There is nothing outside of God; therefore all that exists is part of God. Does evil exist?

AOR
I will give you one guarantee: you were never a Christian. If you were, you would never change from it. You don't know the Truth and then decide to believe the lies. You never truly knew God and the gift of His Son Jesus, for if you had you would be so grateful and would never consider turning away from Him. I understand that all people fail and stumble and fall, but I truly believe that once you really know Christ there is no going back to the way things were. Once He transforms your life, you don't want to go back to the way things were without Him. And, by the way, the Bible says that even satan and his demons know the Word and tremble. Even satan quoted it to Jesus in the wilderness. So, knowing the Bible doesn't make you a Christian. It is so much deeper than that. I'm not even going to bother speaking on the Mormon topic.

*sigh* Last time I checked, it was God who knows who's christian and who's not. And does it really matter how the equation is solved if in the end you get the same answer?

AOR

I would recommend you find another word in which to compare fear to. Reverence and respect, I would agree on. But reverence and fear? Now your just setting yourself up for a blind faith....

FeceMan
No, I'm not speaking of myself....Lost as in they've wasted their lives trying to please the inappeasable god for fear of hell and demons and eternal suffering. Going through anguish about their every action. Was I good enough? We're my thoughts right? Did I remember to ask forgiveness for this action? They spend their whole life HOPING they did it all right and crossed every "T". Because if not, they're damned. Meanwhile, they've missed out on living.

All for a myth.
Or they could be like, "Yo-yo-yo, Jesus, my home dog, I axed you in my heart, right?"

And then Jesus would be like, "What? Was that English? Or some foreign dialect of Hebrew?"

And then someone would translate and Jesus would say, "Oh, yeah, you did. Let me check--" he opens up a massive book and flips it open--"Yep, your name's right here in the Book of Life."

"Sweet, G."

Shakyamunison

I am so sorry that you are filled with hate.

AOR

More like ignorance...

debbiejo
Originally posted by FeceMan
Or they could be like, "Yo-yo-yo, Jesus, my home dog, I axed you in my heart, right?"
pimp.......I knew Jesus be black....We be commin out the ghetto to da hoooood, where angels be waitin..!!!

soleran30
It is better to be a blind devotee with absolute conviction than a wishy-washy follower made out of habit.

Is it now...........

ahh the irony in that piece.

MicahLynn

In order for you to have gotten hate out of the words I wrote, you must not have read them at all. I'm just being honest. If I were full of hate, I wouldn't bother to show you the truth. I wouldn't care. But here I am, bothering and caring. Though you might not care, and it probably won't bother you if I were to quit, I'll keep on keeping on.

AOR
Originally posted by soleran30
Is it now...........

ahh the irony in that piece.

Well considering childeran are "blind devotee with absolute conviction"

Didn't Jesus say we must enter the kindgom of God like children. Ah yes, Mark 10:13-16

AOR
In order for you to have gotten hate out of the words I wrote, you must not have read them at all. I'm just being honest. If I were full of hate, I wouldn't bother to show you the truth. I wouldn't care. But here I am, bothering and caring. Though you might not care, and it probably won't bother you if I were to quit, I'll keep on keeping on.

Draw you attention to me for a sec, as I try to point out the follwoing flaws in your so called truth. You believe that in order for one to merit heaven (and essentially happiness), they must believe in God/Jesus, and do good works. However, you would be sadly mistaken. Just like truth takes many forms, so can ones beliefs. And therefore, you should take it like the Buddist do (now that is irony):

Be tolerant of other religions, as long as they are founded on Love.

MicahLynn
No, I'm not speaking of myself....Lost as in they've wasted their lives trying to please the inappeasable god for fear of hell and demons and eternal suffering. Going through anguish about their every action. Was I good enough? We're my thoughts right? Did I remember to ask forgiveness for this action? They spend their whole life HOPING they did it all right and crossed every "T". Because if not, they're damned. Meanwhile, they've missed out on living.

All for a myth.

My life was never worth living without God. For one, I wouldn't even be here if it weren't for Him. Secondly, once I allowed Him to save me from my sins, I could truly live. I have more joy and peace than most people will ever know. I've been able to do so many wonderful things in my life: I've been privileged to work in two orphanages in the Dominican Republic, I get to minister to the homeless ever Wednesday night, I have a "little sister" that I get to mentor, I've gotten to teach children the Truth in churches and schools and camps and Vacation Bible Schools since I was in Middle School. I have a wonderful family and have always enjoyed just spending time with them. I've gotten to travel to different places and see the fingerprints of God. I get to go to Boston in March to spread the Truth to fellow college students. I moved from Florida to Tennessee to learn more about the Truth of the Bible. All this, and I am only 20. Have no fear, for I am truly living. Not a day goes by without my thinking, "Wow! I was blessed to live another day, and to enjoy every moment of it." I'm not afraid of hell or demons or satan, for I have God on my side. The only thing I'm afraid of is life without God, and that is something I don't even have to worry about.

MicahLynn
Originally posted by AOR
Draw you attention to me for a sec, as I try to point out the follwoing flaws in your so called truth. You believe that in order for one to merit heaven (and essentially happiness), they must believe in God/Jesus, and do good works. However, you would be sadly mistaken. Just like truth takes many forms, so can ones beliefs. And therefore, you should take it like the Buddist do (now that is irony):

You've gotten my attention. I don't appreciate being called ignorant, for I'll never call you that. I just think you are confused, not stupid or even ignorant for that matter. There is only One Truth: Jesus Christ. He is the only Way to Salvation and eternal life. But, salvation is so much more than meriting heavne, it is about getting to know the God that loved us enough to send His Son after we messed up so many times.

Also, how could there be more than one truth? Are you one of those postmodernists that believe everything is truth? Atman is Brahman? If that were true, what would be false? That would mean that nothing is wrong or bad or evil. That would mean it is okay to murder and steal and commit adultery. But, those things are bad and believing they are okay is wrong. Truth doesn't take many forms, for Truth is simply that: Truth.

AOR
You've gotten my attention. I don't appreciate being called ignorant, for I'll never call you that. I just think you are confused, not stupid or even ignorant for that matter. There is only One Truth: Jesus Christ. He is the only Way to Salvation and eternal life. But, salvation is so much more than meriting heavne, it is about getting to know the God that loved us enough to send His Son after we messed up so many times.

Also, how could there be more than one truth? Are you one of those postmodernists that believe everything is truth? Atman is Brahman? If that were true, what would be false? That would mean that nothing is wrong or bad or evil. That would mean it is okay to murder and steal and commit adultery. But, those things are bad and believing they are okay is wrong. Truth doesn't take many forms, for Truth is simply that: Truth.

Tell me, do you believe that Allah is the same as your God?

And no, I'm Catholic...

soleran30
Originally posted by AOR
Well considering childeran are "blind devotee with absolute conviction"

Didn't Jesus say we must enter the kindgom of God like children. Ah yes, Mark 10:13-16

its only when people become blinded with conviction does the truth soon seem to slip past their view as they are to busy focusing on their "faith."

Kind of interesting AOR your from the south? I went to a catholic school in camp lejune north carolina was an altar boy for some years theresmile

Shakyamunison

soleran30
"You are in no position to judge me."

why not?

Shakyamunison

soleran30

Shakyamunison
well fair really doesn't matter he can judge you ............semantics

He is forbidden from judging by the teachings and instructions of Jesus.

debbiejo
My life was never worth living without God. For one, I wouldn't even be here if it weren't for Him. Secondly, once I allowed Him to save me from my sins, I could truly live. I have more joy and peace than most people will ever know. I've been able to do so many wonderful things in my life: I've been privileged to work in two orphanages in the Dominican Republic, I get to minister to the homeless ever Wednesday night, I have a "little sister" that I get to mentor, I've gotten to teach children the Truth in churches and schools and camps and Vacation Bible Schools since I was in Middle School. I have a wonderful family and have always enjoyed just spending time with them. I've gotten to travel to different places and see the fingerprints of God. I get to go to Boston in March to spread the Truth to fellow college students. I moved from Florida to Tennessee to learn more about the Truth of the Bible. All this, and I am only 20. Have no fear, for I am truly living. Not a day goes by without my thinking, "Wow! I was blessed to live another day, and to enjoy every moment of it." I'm not afraid of hell or demons or satan, for I have God on my side. The only thing I'm afraid of is life without God, and that is something I don't even have to worry about. You sound like a busy girl...There's nothing wrong with helping the needy, I also do that whether it's paying a friends bills on the sly, visiting a nursing home, meals on wheels, giving to organizations, organizing some kinda drive to collect money for the poor, helping out at a soup kitchen, giving my birthday money away to a friend who may need it more than I....etc, etc, etc... These are all part of what it is to be a caring human being. This is what Jesus taught along with other religions, yet there are people not involved in ANY religion that does the same. Doing these things is not scoring brownie points for some god. You won't be rejected if you don't....Sounds like what you are doing is more selfish with the thought of "I'll help you out, BUT let me tell you about my religion" kinda thing. Like giving candy, but with a catch. And I think you are afraid of hell, because you stated you are afraid of being without god. When infact you are never with out what god is....If there is no place where god is not then god would also be in hell, but since there is not an actual place called hell, you should be able to do charity work with out the religious slant and concentrate more on loving the person instead of leading them to your direction.

leonheartmm
hmmmm, would any1 {who TRULY BELIEVES in an organised relegion as many here do} be doing things like working in orphanages and helping people out with no worldly rewards IF you found out that there is no god/jesus saviour and no heaven and hell based on your actions? i dont think so. its not really christian PEOPLE doing it, its mostly just people doing it to get into heaven and expect a reward later on. thats not love{as many claim that god filled em with love blah blah blah n give these evidences to their changed ways} thats just being selfish. im sure over 95% of you guys would leave any helpin/lovin{as if} jobs n activities in life if you found out that there was no god/heaven/hell/jesus/saviour. its more like an insult to true love.

FeceMan
Originally posted by AOR

Take out the unbolded section and you're correct.

And I believe it is you who are mistaken.

GodIsAwesome
hmmmm, would any1 {who TRULY BELIEVES in an organised relegion as many here do} be doing things like working in orphanages and helping people out with no worldly rewards IF you found out that there is no god/jesus saviour and no heaven and hell based on your actions? i dont think so. its not really christian PEOPLE doing it, its mostly just people doing it to get into heaven and expect a reward later on. thats not love{as many claim that god filled em with love blah blah blah n give these evidences to their changed ways} thats just being selfish. im sure over 95% of you guys would leave any helpin/lovin{as if} jobs n activities in life if you found out that there was no god/heaven/hell/jesus/saviour. its more like an insult to true love.

A little pre-face before I answer the question...

Growing up I had no religion in my life. I was agnostic and willing to admit to that. I LOVED volunteering my time to help other people out, and since I was agnostic it wasn't to "keep me from hell" or other such notions...it's because I honestly wanted to help other people out....it extended from simple things in grade school like giving up my lunch recesses to help in the SMH (Severly Mentally Handicap<yeah slightly politically incorrect...but that is what it was called) room, to giving up much more time volunteering at hospitals and places like that.

Now I have found a church that I love with all of my heart and soul. I have never been happier....but to answer your question...I STILL LOVE volunteering, infact lately I have been training to start helping at a local Crisis Center. I'm not volunteering because my church is telling me to, I'm actually a Social Work major and it's just something that I believe is good to do in order to help people out.

So no...I havn't changed my motives from what they were in grade school - high school just because I have found a faith in something new.

MicahLynn
There are too many people that I want to quote, so I'll just reply instead. I'm not doing the things I'm doing to receive bonus points in heaven, and I didn't tell you about them to make you think better of me. I told you that I do those things because they are the things that make me happy. In doing those things, I am living my life to the fullest, not wasting it worrying about heaven or hell and my every sin. It shouldn't be like that, for that wouldn't be grace. I'm not afraid of hell or satan because God is SOOOO much bigger than them. I said that if anything I am afraid of life without God: who wouldn't be? Life without God would be like taking all the good and wonderful things away and only having darkness and evil left. I have lived my life with God, and I can't imagine it without Him. I don't even want to think about it. He is my King and the Love of my life: no one wants to lose someone they love so much and that loves them unconditionally in return. Because God is so good to me, I WANT to do good things for Him and His Kingdom and people. About the orphanages that I worked in: I went with a team that wasn't even Christian based, but it was a chance for me to share my faith at the same time. When non-Christians do good things, I think it proves that God really did create man in His image. His image is good and perfect; helping people is something He loves, thus it is also something that even the worst people enjoy. Deep down, people still have some good left in them, but with God's help, they can be even better.

MicahLynn

MicahLynn
He is forbidden from judging by the teachings and instructions of Jesus.

FYI... just because my name is Micah, doesn't mean I'm a he.

AOR
Take out the unbolded section and you're correct.

And I believe it is you who are mistaken.

Anyone can believe, but very few do.

Enlighten me...

Shakyamunison

soleran30
Most of the traditional religions..............christianity and islam and judiasm don't require their people to become enlightened. They really don't ask you to look for a more "pure" truth rather to listen and obey.

That lie was placed before them before Constantine I am fairly certainsmile

Which most of my post wasn't directed at you shaky but more of a shout outsmile

Shakyamunison
...That lie was placed before them before Constantine I am fairly certainsmile...

So, when do you believe the lie of don't seek just obey was inserted in the Christian religion?

soleran30
So, when do you believe the lie of don't seek just obey was inserted in the Christian religion?

and thats a very good questionsmile Now if I could just find my little book of answers.........................

Actually there is a book called How the Irish saved the World and it goes into documentation about many of these pieces we are discussing now except I cannot find it so with that I'll have to give you a promissory note for an answer.

However I will say this the only reason I read the book was I was duped by the title and I thought it was going to be some great tirade of battles and such...................nope pretty much how christianity helped to form Ireland and its culture and how Irish monks went around saving religious documents.................alot of latin in it and roman culture as well.

FeceMan
Originally posted by AOR
Anyone can believe, but very few do.

Enlighten me...
Christianity does not state that one must do good works to have eternal life. One must only ask for forgiveness.

soleran30
Christianity does not state that one must do good works to have eternal life. One must only ask for forgiveness.

I believe its the Catholics more specifically that require you do acts of faith to reach the gates of heaven.

FeceMan
I believe its the Catholics more specifically that require you do acts of faith to reach the gates of heaven.
Ah.

Catholics have most of it right, I just don't agree with some of their teachings and the ritualistic nature of their religion.

Nothing in particular against them, though.

BackFire
Person A: *Kills a bunch of people* "Oh, sorry god, forgive me?"

God: "Sure bud, you're in."

*Goes to heaven when he dies*

Person B: "God damn it"

Person A: "Hey, you cursed, you should ask forgiveness"

Person B: "Nah, it's not a big deal.

*Person B goes to hell when he dies.*

All is right in the world.

Dr. Strangelove
No. Lucky for me, my parents (mom's a Christian and dad is a Jew) never pushed religion on me and let me decide for myself on whether to become religious or not.

Originally posted by BackFire
Person A: *Kills a bunch of people* "Oh, sorry god, forgive me?"

God: "Sure bud, you're in."

*Goes to heaven when he dies*

Person B: "God damn it"

Person A: "Hey, you cursed, you should ask forgiveness"

Person B: "Nah, it's not a big deal.

*Person B goes to hell when he dies.*

All is right in the world.

Haha nice. I would rather curse and watch porn than listen to that drivel any day of the week.

Anyways, hell is not that bad as they'll be Slayer concerts every night. What does heaven get? Creed? PFFFF

debbiejo
Christianity does not state that one must do good works to have eternal life. One must only ask for forgiveness. Not true...You are known by your fruits.....Fruits are your good deeds...Faith without fruits IS DEAD!

What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you says to them, "Depart in peace, be warmed and filled," but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead (James 2:14-17).

leonheartmm
well i got them apples and mangoes.............how do my chances for heaven look :6

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.