Spoof VS. Satire

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Impediment
Tell me once and for all the difference, if any, between Spoof and Satire. To me, a spoof is a movie that has non-stop gags, irreverent silliness, and just off the wall humor. Examples of such could be: Airplane!, Top Secret!, Scary Movie, and Dont be a menace to South Central while drinking your juice in the 'Hood. All these movies are SPOOFING previous films that have a very serious undertone (Airplane crisises, Spy movies, horror maniacs & cliches,and violent 'Hood life) and have zero seriousness. A satire is defined as work in which human vice or folly is attacked through irony, derision, or wit. Examples of such, IMO, could be Shaun of the Dead, Scream, UHF, and the Austin Powers films. My point for making this thread is because I want to hear the opinions of others who agree/disagree with me. I have argued with others many times over about whether Shaun of the Dead is spoof or satire, just like Scream, or UHF. Also whether or not you can spoof a satire (like Scary movie did with Scream ), or if a spoof can be satired.

DarkWizard
I'm not going to make an essay.

But I will say When I think Of spoof, I think of "Loaded Weapon 1", when I think of Satire, I think of "Airplane"

Impediment
But Airplane! is a spoof all the same, just like loaded Weapon 1 is. Lethal Weapon was a "serious action/adventure cop movie", and all those other movies about crisises at 30,000 feet and such are being spoofed the same in Airplane! I guess I don't understand what Airplane! could be satiring, since it has such goofball humor and non-stop jokes.

Wolfie
I consider Airplane! and UHF spoofs.

The others you mentioned as satires, Scream, Shaun of the Dead (I guess), I agree with. Fight Club is another great satire.

Cinemaddiction
"Airplane" is a satire of the airplane disaster movies of the early 70's, namely "Airport". "UHF" is a spoof of "Network".

There ya go. Also, a satire can be spoofed, but not vice versa, because then it would be satirizing it's own self.

BackFire
South Park, The Simpsons, Team America - Satire

Scary Movie, Spaceballs, UHF - Spoof.

I prefer satire.

Red Superfly
Spoofs are lazy satire, in my opinion.

Used to love spoofs when I was a kid, now I just yawn. Too easy.

Nevermind
Originally posted by BackFire
South Park, The Simpsons, Team America - Satire

Scary Movie, Spaceballs, UHF - Spoof.

I prefer satire.

I agree with your examples. A spoof is basically another name for parody and parody is a form of Satire. They are pretty much interlinked. However, I think spoofs relate to making fun of movies, television shows etc. I think Satire is making fun of organizations, people etc. I agree with what CA said about how satire can be spoof but not vice versa. I personally prefer satire myself.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.