Should we see Grievous as a villian or fallen hero?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Master Mawi
Based on information from wookiepedia and starwars.com, should Grievous be seen as a villian or a fallen hero?

ESB - 1138
...I dunno know. The only reason he hated the Republic was because of a lie that the CIS made just to get him to join.

w00t2112
i wouldn't put him as either, rather as a victim of Sidious an Dooku, tricked into working for them..

Fishy
I'd rank him the same as any other general, he is neither a villain nor a fallen hero. And he is both, depending on how you look at him.

henniestevens
He is corrupted by Dooku (or Sidious I don't know), so he isn't a general out of his free will. He wanted to die on the battlefield, but Dooku controlled him and made him a Jedi Kill machine. But well I think he always has been a ruthless brute.

General G
I would like to see him as a General with his own people, making him a hero, and then Sidious (or Dooku?) corrupting him, therefore turning into a villain.

Mišt
I see Grievous as a villain. He's like Dooku, although Dooku was a good Jedi, and Grievous was a warlord, but both became menaces. You wouldnt say Dooku was a fallen hero, and Grievous didnt give two shits about the galaxy, all he wanted was to fight his enemies. Nothing heroic there, well maybe for his planet, but not on a good/bad scale.

Captain REX
Villain. Grievous was never really a good guy. He DID initiate mass slaughters of his enemies, after all.

*is pwnd by Hoggle*

Veneficus
I never saw Greivous as anything other than some character they rush jobbed into Episode III. It took me forever to explain to my parents where he came from and why he just appeared out of no where in Episode III.

DiamondBullets
Originally posted by Veneficus
I never saw Greivous as anything other than some character they rush jobbed into Episode III. It took me forever to explain to my parents where he came from and why he just appeared out of no where in Episode III.

Actually if you watch the special feature about GG in the ROTS dvd they explain all the work that went into him. He wasn't a last minute character---he was essentially Jango's replacement; a badass non-force user who was on the side of the Sith Lords.

Yes, I see him a as a tragic character just like, Vader, Dooku, and Jango. None of them were evil, but due to circumstance and the way events both in their personal life and environment played out---they became bad guys.

Veneficus
Originally posted by DiamondBullets
Actually if you watch the special feature about GG in the ROTS dvd they explain all the work that went into him. He wasn't a last minute character---he was essentially Jango's replacement; a badass non-force user who was on the side of the Sith Lords.

Yes, I see him a as a tragic character just like, Vader, Dooku, and Jango. None of them were evil, but due to circumstance and the way events both in their personal life and environment played out---they became bad guys.

We don't own the DVD.

DiamondBullets
Originally posted by Veneficus
We don't own the DVD.

Then that explains why you thought that.

Captain REX
Read 'The Making of Star Wars' or look at 'The Art of Episode III' and it shows that Grievous was an early-on idea.

Anyways, as Ush would say, in Star Wars, bad is bad and good is good.

Grievous is a big wheezing machine that wants to slaughter Jedi and hold planets hostage.

Jango is a heartless mercenary that guns down good guys because he's told to and does so willingly because he's given money.

Dooku is a Sith Lord. Vader is a Sith Lord.

Vader is the only exception in Star Wars of a character going good to bad to good. In the movies, at least.

Fishy
Jango did save Coruscant for free once...

Granted he was also the one that put it into danger in the first place, but thats not really the point.

and in SW good is good and bad is bad, however I kinda refuse to see it like that. Because it simply makes no sense, it doesn't keep into account personal feelings and morales, and it makes everything black and white when its not. Good and bad exist in the force but not with normal people which GG in essence is. Obi Wan believed the same thing about Ventress...

He believed that what he was doing was the right thing, although he did the wrong thing to get it.

General Bondius
Mmmm, the confederacy lost, so Grevious was on the loosing side, that makes him a villian, sorry. Remember that the ones who win write history anda generally are the heroes.

Decay
hes kind of a tragic character, not reallya fallen hero becuase we dont know enough about his past. the republic sided with his enemies just becuase they had more to offer, but it doesnt mean they were evil. it could have been a war based on some ancient custom that no longer serves a purpose so neither side has to be clearly right and just. i really want someone to write a book based on his life before he became a cyborg.

like vader i suppose he was tricked by lies, twisted by an external force (the dark side for vader and brain tampering for grievous) and commited alot of evil acts. so they were both decieved and had their peronalities altered, but without knowing alot about grievous and how he was before the cis tampered with his brain and sidious fed him lies you cant call him a hero. but by the same token he had less of a choice in who he became than vader, he possibly lost just as much if not more, so you cant justifiably call him an evil character without more info.

chilled monkey
Grievous is a tragic character. He was originally a noble, honourable man, greatly loved and respected by his people. The Geonosians tampered with his mind to make him a ruthless killer.

steverules
How was he a hero?

Julie
Villain...most definately a villain....he may have been a hero to his own people....but sometimes the villains are popular with their lackies

general-pain
Originally posted by chilled monkey
Grievous is a tragic character. He was originally a noble, honourable man, greatly loved and respected by his people. The Geonosians tampered with his mind to make him a ruthless killer.

Who had already massacured innocent people.

Master Mawi
anyone here are hyperspace members? I heard some guys are writing Grievous' history. Not sure what i read on wookiepedia was true, so can anyone check?

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Captain REX
Villain. Grievous was never really a good guy. He DID initiate mass slaughters of his enemies, after all.

*is pwnd by Hoggle*

Yeah, Grevious is a villain.

He was only looked upon as a hero by his own people. That's it.

And he did things that are just universally accepted as evil, such as killing very young Padawans in his mini-series and mass slaughter and destruction of buildings for no purpose except his own pleasure.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.