Revenge films

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DarkWizard
Revenge is a great theme for movies. Frankly, I consider it an under used theme.

off the top of my head..

Kill Bill
The Crow
Payback
Lady snowblood
Highlander (Connor seaking revenge for Ramirez's Death)

(Son't bash me for not naming some big grin )

Got a Favorite?

Oh, if there is already a topic on this, send me a link. I searched "Revenge" and "Payback", and nothing came up.

BackFire
Last House on the Left and Irreversible are both excellent revenge films. Though, Irreversible doesn't deploy the revenge in a traditional manner.

Oldboy is another great one, though it's far more than just a "revenge movie".

Punker69
"Enough"

no expression
j/k

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by BackFire

I think Oldboy is one of the best revenge movies I've ever seen. Apart from that, Kill Bill is certainly a great revenge movie. Blood Simple by the Coens is also excellent.

Solo
Originally posted by BackFire
Irreversible are both excellent revenge films. Though, Irreversible doesn't deploy the revenge in a traditional manner.

Definitely.The extinguisher scene is too awesome, in Irreversible, I mean. Oldboy is great, along with Blind Samurai, Kill Bill, Enter the Dragon, and One-Armed Swordsman.

Cinemaddiction
"Carrie" comes to mind immediately. "Desperado" is another. Have you actually seen "Lady Snowblood", by the way, Dusty?

I found it at a pawn shop a while back, and fell in love with it. It's an all around awesome movie, especially the score. AnimEgo also produces the Lone Wolf and Cub DVD's.

"Enter the Dragon" wasn't really a revenge flick. Bruce Lee joined Han's tournament as a spy. His sister killed herself because she didn't want to be taken alive. It was more or less just a backstory.

Flavio
kill bill...

Solo
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
Lone Wolf and Cub DVD's.
Lone Wolf and Cub kicks serious ass, I'm curious what the films are like. I've only read the graphic novels myself. Have you seen them?

"Enter the Dragon" wasn't really a revenge flick. Bruce Lee joined Han's tournament as a spy. His sister killed herself because she didn't want to be taken alive. It was more or less just a backstory.

Yeah, I guess.

DarkWizard
Have you actually seen "Lady Snowblood", by the way, Dusty?

I found it at a pawn shop a while back, and fell in love with it. It's an all around awesome movie, especially the score. AnimEgo also produces the Lone Wolf and Cub DVD's.

On Order.

That's what made me think of this thread in the first place.

I read your review and it sounded great. I just never actually got around to it until now.

Edit: on a side note, What did you fella's think of "The Punisher"?

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by Solo
Lone Wolf and Cub kicks serious ass, I'm curious what the films are like. I've only read the graphic novels myself. Have you seen them?

The movie are about as popular, and there are a good many of them. Not Zatiochi like numbers, but around 5 or 6. Suncoast near me is closing their doors soon, I may just nab a few, although there is a giant boxed set available.

Darren Aronofsky was supposed to do a live action film of it, but it apparently never got off the ground.

BackFire
It's still listed on IMDB as "announced" and Aronofsky is still listed as teh director. Might be his next film after The Fountain.

DiamondBullets
Revenge of the Sith

Ballistic: Ecks vs Sever

Wolfie
The Crow is definately my favorite revenge film. It's not about whether or not he gets his revenge, but how.

Also, Darkman has a special place in my heart. The new Punisher and Vulgar are good ones too.

Mišt
The Crow kicks ass.
Empire Strikes Back...well, not really a revenge film, but the revenge parts of it were excellent.
Kill Bill one was good, there was more hack n slash 'get outta my way' kinda feel to the revenge, KB 2 was just walk up and do it.

Cant think of any off the top of my head...

DarkWizard
Originally posted by Wolfie
The Crow is definately my favorite revenge film. It's not about whether or not he gets his revenge, but how.

The Crow was definatley awesome. Dark, Gritty, and Just what I wanted. thumb up

Also, Am I the only one who liked 'Payback'?

Impediment
Kill Bill, The Punisher, The Crow, Revenge of the Nerds, and The Fog (1979). What's more revengeful than the pissed off ghosts of mariners murdered 100 years ago exacting their revenge on decendants of their town?

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by DarkWizard

Also, Am I the only one who liked 'Payback'?

I tried to watch "Payback" tonight, and I just couldn't. Mel Gibson wasn;t a credible *******, the narration is Nicolas Cage's gimmick, and the rest of the characters were just me. Story has been done before, too.

The tagline; "Get ready to root for the bad guy". Why? He's a thief who stole from other thieves, like a indifferent Robin Hood. I don't care for the guy, much less feel like hoping he he gets his money. That wasn't a revenge flick, anyway. It had a revenge element, but if we're talking about movies that define the genre, it's no "I Spit On Your Grave". Same thing for "The Fog". There are movies that are straight up revenge movies, and those that incorporate the element, and that's all.

xeous
Speaking of Mel Gibson...Braveheart?

And Braveheart II AKA The Patriot.

lordofwar
Count of Monte Cristo

jaden101
i'm glad somebody finally mentioned it...that is revenge at it's finest

papabeard
Dead Mans Shoes is an excellent film.

jaden101
Originally posted by papabeard
Dead Mans Shoes is an excellent film.

indeed...although it sometimes feels like no-one is taking much notice of us telling them this fact stick out tongue

papabeard
True dat big grin

VIDEODROME
The Limey

papabeard
Rambo - First Blood

Death Wish

DarkWizard
I tried to watch "Payback" tonight, and I just couldn't. Mel Gibson wasn;t a credible *******, the narration is Nicolas Cage's gimmick, and the rest of the characters were just me. Story has been done before, too.

The tagline; "Get ready to root for the bad guy". Why? He's a thief who stole from other thieves, like a indifferent Robin Hood. I don't care for the guy, much less feel like hoping he he gets his money. That wasn't a revenge flick, anyway. It had a revenge element, but if we're talking about movies that define the genre, it's no "I Spit On Your Grave". Same thing for "The Fog". There are movies that are straight up revenge movies, and those that incorporate the element, and that's all.

How far did you get before cutting it off?

WrathfulDwarf
Revenge of the Nerds. stick out tongue

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by DarkWizard
How far did you get before cutting it off?

...scene where Lucy Liu busts into the thief's apartment and starts randomly attacking him. Dialogue was just so silly I couldn't take anymore. Having just seen "Reindeer Games", and "Payback" sharing a lot of the same themes and elements, I didn't really need/want/care to see anymore.

DarkWizard
...scene where Lucy Liu busts into the thief's apartment and starts randomly attacking him. Dialogue was just so silly I couldn't take anymore. Having just seen "Reindeer Games", and "Payback" sharing a lot of the same themes and elements, I didn't really need/want/care to see anymore.

Damn, That's pretty early in the film. Despite the high caliber of randomness, That part was kind of humorous.

rockycairns
Death Wish 1 and 2 then its sequels got very stupid indeed
The Crow
Sin City - Marvs story is payback which itself works as a small film
Payback
Braveheart it starts as revnenge for his wifes death but then expands into something more

lordofwar
Gladiator

Robocop

Mask of Zorro

Licence To Kill

MildPossession
That was one film I was going to recommend on here, excellent indeed.

Add Sympathy For Lady Vengeance too, good film.

K.Diddy
My favourite is a cult horror film called ''I spit on your grave'' It is basically about a girl that gets raped by about 5 people then she takes the law into her own hands and kills them all.

badAssSoadFan13
i'm with Lord of War with the Gladiator
and with all the people in this thread who said The Crow, that movie gives me the Shivers.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.