"Proof"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Cinemaddiction
Surprised there weren't any threads on this one. (Funny how a lot of my threads start off with that...)

Alison and I watched it tonight, after having nabbed 1 of the 8 copies we got in at work and I was plesantly surprised. In a nutshell, Gwyneth Paltrow's "Catherine" has been watching over her once genius father, played by Anthony Hopkins, up until his death which is where the film begins. Catie, following almost too closely in her father's footsteps, comes to terms that she may have inherited both her father's mathematical prowess, and his mental instability. While her distant sister has concluded Catie's lost, having shut herself out over the past 5 years, Hal (Jake Gyllenhaal) uncovers a mathematical proof. The proof and it's unknown origins will either solidify Robert's legacy as a brilliant mind, or confirm Catherine's suspicions that she's only a couple of equations away from insanity.

While there were some issues with the editing, confusing times, events, and recollections at times, that didn't take away from what SHOULD have been a multi-award winning performance by Gwyneth Paltrow. I've never been a big fan of hers, namely because a lack of exposure, but she plays a neurotic, with traces of cynicism, masterfully. Jake Gyllenhaal, too, has matured as an actor form the days of "Donnie Darko" and progressed the unique story along.

The ending left Alison unsatisfied, but personally, it fit. It allowed you to draw your own conclusion, imagine what if..what's going to happen, and question if it will all come full circle. Most movies adapted from plays don't always translate well to the screen, but I feel as if this one did. It's basic and unique. Not overly artsy, but underappreciated and easily accessible.

DeVi| D0do
Nice review... I saw this a while ago and wrote this about it on another board:

PROOF - With Gwyneth Paltrow and Anthony Hopkins. It's about a mathematician (Paltrow) who's afraid she's going crazy like her father (Hopkins) did... When her father dies and a mathematical proof is found in his desk a dilemma erupts over who was the author of it, himself or his daughter. The film has a structure which consists of several flashbacks which prove to explain what had happened... these are at first a tad disorienting, but by the end turn out to be a good narrative device. The story is interesting (even though I had no idea what all the math was about) and the performances are great, though I did find myself getting bored in the middle as the film takes a little too much time setting everything up when it could be moving along faster and getting to the real story... And a romance between the daughter and a friend is perhaps focused on too much. But all in all a worthwhile film. - 7/10

I thought both Hopkins and Paltrow gave superb performances in this, but was less impressed with Gyllenhaal, mainly because he just seemed like a dweeb and kinda just got in the way.

I think there were too many moments in the film that were flat... The dry humour that didn't work (the 'i' song joke scene was cringe-worthy) and the dialogue at times was very simplistic when I thought it should have been more poetic.

The ending didn't bother me... I thought it was quite clear what was going to happen and I don't think we needed to see any more.

I agree with your last statement. I'd never heard of the film until I saw it... it deserves more attention than it's been given.

Solo
I've been meaning to see this for quite some time now, but it looks a bit dull.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.