What if Jar Jar had a different voice?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

roughrider
OK, it's years later, and the controversy is gone - for those of you still gnashing your teeth, please stop.
But it's occured to me - would Jar Jar have annoyed people (who didn't like him) less, if he had a different voice, and straightforward pronunciations? Ahmed Best could go back into the booth anytime, and record different dialogue in a regular voice. They could do the same for the other few speaking Gungans.
He'd still be clumsy on screen, but would he seem less childlike with a different voice? Lucas will continue to tweak his films; I wonder if he'd consider this.

KENobi™
Slightly better, but he still sucks with his antics.

DeVi| D0do
Jar Jar doesn't bother me. I think, without him, TPM wouldn't have been as good as it is. It's Anakin that bugs me in that film... And the tone of the film. It's simply too childish. And I think that Jar Jar is a result of that, not the cause...

roughrider
Yeah, but Lucas got all that heat, about how the Gungans are parodies of Jamaican males (people see what they want to)...though he's gotten abuse since the first film; how there were no puerto ricans in ANH What the f**k?
and Vader was a black villan because James Earl jones did the voice. (and today, they criticize for not having enough black actors as villains roll eyes (sarcastic) )

Cascador
I think that if the final battle would have been a mix of gungans and Naboo soldiers...that would have been a huge improvement, cause the battle was a joke! It was suppose to be a joke, but it infected the whole film...Anakin didn't bug me that much, but I guess Jake Lloyd wasn't the best choice, still think that kid of the sixth sense would have been good!

General Bondius
He would still suck, no matter what, the only way he wouldnt suck is if he was never created in the first place. HE MUST DIEEE!!!!!!!

PVS
would have been better. shit...that plus some dialogue cuts and he might be tolerable

craft-a-saber
i have to agree with DD it was anakin that ruined the film and set the tone to the childish one it is

but i suppose if they used a slightly older actor for the role then it would not have been as bad

he was too old to be trained as he was but he was still trained so george may aswell of been killed for a sheep as for a lamb

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by roughrider
; how there were no puerto ricans in ANH What the f**k?

Jimmy Smitts is Rican, and he was given a very prominent part as Leia's adoptive father.

roughrider
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Jimmy Smitts is Rican, and he was given a very prominent part as Leia's adoptive father.

I said in ANH, the first one back in 1977. You can find that anecdote in Lucas' biography. He just shrugged his shoulders at such criticisms, saying you can't win.

kalsemo
I don't know if it was so much his voice that was annoying, but rather it was what he actually SAID. Some words or phrases were just undecipherable as to meaning.

It was cute when Yoda was able to talk differently but at least you were able to understand in plain english what he was saying.

I think Jar Jar's gibbersih was simply annoying becuase at times it made no contextual sense.

chinabing
Yousa point is well seen.

I admit when I saw TPM the first time I couldn't figure out what Jar Jar was saying a lot. But Captain Tarpuls and Boss Nass spoke the same dialect, and it was hard to understand too. But after multiple viewings it doesn't bug me. I understood everything more when I got it on home video and put the captioning on, (still don't know what a heyblibber is!)

But I think a lot of people today are easily annoyed.

willman
Jar Jar is annoying with or without hs dumb voice. C3PO has a queer voice but he didnt ruin the films did he???

kalsemo
Originally posted by chinabing
(still don't know what a heyblibber is!)

My point exactly.

chinabing
Hey, I don't know what happened on Cato Nemiodia either, but I still enjoy ROTS.

Kids love Jar Jar, nothing wrong with that, the character's a clown. Some things in Star Wars are for kids. I think it's great that Star Wars is not strictly a film for adults, but one for kids and the whole family. It mixes up myths and tragedy and comedy into one big pot of Star Wars stew.

roughrider
Agreed. The Jar Jar flap was overblown at the time; he was a well-meaning klutz, who showed capability of growth. He was good in AOTC; his idealism for the Republic ultimately is crushed by Palpatine's actions.

amity75
Snoop Dogg should have provided the voice for Jar Jar. That would have been interesting.

kalsemo
Originally posted by amity75
Snoop Dogg should have provided the voice for Jar Jar. That would have been interesting.

no

mysterio69
oh, come on now. jar-jar wasn't so horrible that it stopped everyone from seeing the movie so many times. deep down, everyone loves him just the way he is. cool

Stun
i've often thought about how much better it would be if Jar Jar's voice was a little less overexcited - but i love the The Phantom Menace, so it never really bugged me in the first place.

Sadako of Girth
The slapstick'll always ruin it, but if he behaved ala AOTC and ROTS, didn't screw around so much and didn't talk in that "Hey-everybody-Im a condescending-cartoon-character-needlessly-bolted-on-for-cynical-kiddy buck-cash-in reasons" kinda way, then I could have tolorated him... and I say that as a steadfast hater of the Binks.

Eleonora
Originally posted by roughrider
OK, it's years later, and the controversy is gone - for those of you still gnashing your teeth, please stop.
But it's occured to me - would Jar Jar have annoyed people (who didn't like him) less, if he had a different voice, and straightforward pronunciations? Ahmed Best could go back into the booth anytime, and record different dialogue in a regular voice. They could do the same for the other few speaking Gungans.
He'd still be clumsy on screen, but would he seem less childlike with a different voice? Lucas will continue to tweak his films; I wonder if he'd consider this.

Never had a problem with him, I think people should just stop blaming every flaw on one character.

Alliance
Jar Jar doesnt bother me that much, the gungans in general are annoying, so he fits right in, but I think that was to emphasize thier nievete and innocence. I would have found it much better If Jar Jar would have been less slapstick. Lucas jsut took it over the top too many times, espcailly during the Battle of Naboo. Nothing ruins a good battle more than quotes like "ouch time (even though that was Tarpaal)" and Jar Jar randomly blowing things up as he is trying to run away (like the droid that gets stuck on his leg). If the Jar Jar had gotten serious when the movie got serious, he would have been better.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.