Battle of the MOVIES I: War of the Worlds VS Batman Begins

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lörd Sorgo
Okay, This is the first battle I'll be creating.

There will be a series of three comparisons.

If there are two from WOTW, then WOTW wins.

If there is two from BMB, then BMB wins.

Let's begin.

1)Which made more money?

2)Which had better actors?

3)Which did you like more?

Cinemaddiction
I know your intentions are good, but box office gross isn't necessarily a fair element by which to compare two movies. Nobody knows who Christopher Nolan was, nor Christian Bale. Tom Cruise and Steven Spielberg, having been household names for 20 years are always going to edge out the competition.

'WOTW" made $220 Million more than "Batman Begins", for the record. That said, "Batman Begins" incorporated more A-List actors. Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine, Gary Oldman, Christian Bale, Ken Watanabe, Liam Neeson, Rutger Hauer....

Personally, I thought "Batman Begins" was infintely better. "War of the Worlds" was a needless remake, more of a vehicle for a personal political agenda, with some annoying special effects and equally as untypically annoying performance from Dakota Fanning.

DeVi| D0do
Loved both, but Batman Begins takes the cake hands down.

Box Office numbers have nothing to do with how good a movie is, but reflect how effective the marketing was and how much pulling power the names have. Hence, War of the Worlds wins. But personally I don't think that should even be taken into account...

As for actors, the only one worthy of mention in WOTW is Tim Robbins. The others were satisfactory for what the roles required, but there was nothing amazing there. I thought the entire cast in Batman did superbly (yes, Katie Holmes included). Even the smaller roles like Tom Wilkinson's.

War of the Worlds was a movie made for the visuals. It really has nothing else going for it, in my opinion. But what great visuals they are... Batman Begins, I think, is the perfect example of a film that really has it all.

AstroFan
I dont care about the B.O.

But as far as actors and which I think is better, Batman Begins by miles and miles. I enjoyed WOTW, but it doesnt compare.

BackFire
Box Office: War of the Worlds. Not that that matters to anyone with a brain.

Actors: Batman Begins, by far.

Preference: Batman Begins.

DiamondBullets
They both sucked.

Myth
Batman begins had better actors and I liked it more as well. I was terribly disappointed by War of the Worlds.

Lörd Sorgo
I know your intentions are good, but box office gross isn't necessarily a fair element by which to compare two movies. Nobody knows who Christopher Nolan was, nor Christian Bale. Tom Cruise and Steven Spielberg, having been household names for 20 years are always going to edge out the competition.

Fair honestly doesn't pass me by, Cinemaddiction.

An Element existing is an Element effective.

Thank you for sharing and stating the obvious as well.

Impediment
1)Which made more money? Almost all of Spielberg's films gross way, way more than any competitor. That's painfully obvious.

2)Which had better actors? Batman Begins, easy. Cruise, much as I'm not really a fan of his, is a good actor but he's really the only high profile actor in WOTW. Freeman, Hauer, Caine, Neeson, and Oldman can all out-act Cruise blindfolded, IMO.

3)Which did you like more? Batman Begins, obviously. WOTW was a popcorn movie and nothing more, just a lot of SFX and explosions and outlandish stunts. And, yes I know, BB was also a popcorn action flick, but this time the story of the Dark Knight was finally told how it should have been over 15 years ago and I think that excuses any retorts.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
Loved both, but Batman Begins takes the cake hands down.

Box Office numbers have nothing to do with how good a movie is, but reflect how effective the marketing was and how much pulling power the names have. Hence, War of the Worlds wins. But personally I don't think that should even be taken into account...

As for actors, the only one worthy of mention in WOTW is Tim Robbins. The others were satisfactory for what the roles required, but there was nothing amazing there. I thought the entire cast in Batman did superbly (yes, Katie Holmes included). Even the smaller roles like Tom Wilkinson's.

War of the Worlds was a movie made for the visuals. It really has nothing else going for it, in my opinion. But what great visuals they are... Batman Begins, I think, is the perfect example of a film that really has it all.

could not have said it better. thumb up

Cinemaddiction

Wolfie
I didn't care for either movie.

rockycairns
1 - All of Spielbergs films do well at the box office and after so much hype before this films release im not surprised at how well the film did but i was a little dissapointed to say the least definately not Spielbergs best

2 - The actors in Batman destroyed WOTW Cruise is a terrible actor just looks shocked and miserable all the time Christian Bale however was fatastic as Batman/Bruce as was Caine, Oldman and Neeson in their roles Dakota Fanning was blisteringly annoying

3 - Batman Begins is a much better film beacuse of the strory and acting WOTW had a very original stroy aliens come to earth and man saves day everyone is saved it gets a little boring after a while how BB had a dynamich emotionally gripping storyline which made it one of the best pictures of the year

DeVi| D0do
Welcome to KMC, rockycairns. Allow me to introduce you to... the period --> .

wink

WrathfulDwarf
OMG!!!!!!! You can't even compare the two! World of the Worlds with Tom Cruise PWNED Batman Begins. Anything Tom Cruise touches turns into Gold! He even got Katie pregnant...beat that BAAATMAAAAN!

DarkWizard
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
OMG!!!!!!! You can't even compare the two! World of the Worlds with Tom Cruise PWNED Batman Begins. Anything Tom Cruise touches turns into Gold! He even got Katie pregnant...beat that BAAATMAAAAN!

laughing

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
He even got Katie pregnant...beat that BAAATMAAAAN!

Christian Bale was in bed/married to Kate Beckinsale in "Laurel Canyon". Happy Dance

Besides..Bale's already HAD a kid, AND is married.

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/warner_brothers/batman_begins/christian_bale/batmanpreg2.jpg

Unlike Mr. Irresponsible, one Tom Mapother..er..Cruise!

DarkWizard
Bale is amazing. Even as a kid. ( Empire of the sun, Newsies )

Tom Cruise is just a Biatch.

SnakeEyes
I'm ready for another battle of the movies thread.

I'd say we all pretty much agree on this one.

Impediment
I second that nomination....................

Lörd Sorgo
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
Save the psycho-babble for something relevant. If you're willing to take into consideration something that results in an unfair advantage when pitting two movies, then how wouldn't fair be passing you by, because you've already made an unfair comparison?

Effective, yeah. Both positively, negatively, and ultimately, unfairly.

So....neener neener.

It's one of three comparisons and the Comparisons work.

What I was speaking of was relevant, if you . . . Didn't notice. Unless of course Box Office ratings are irrelevant to movies? Or me talking about the comparison I created for this thread are irrelevant? Please. Save me the Pseudo-babble.

Cinemaddiction

general-pain
Batman Begins hands down.

SupezM'
I think both Bale and Cruise are good actors, Cruise gets a lot of flak but that has a lot to do with how whacked his private life is.

Bale is more behind the scenes, not open for public mockery, which is really good for his career in my opinion.

As for the movies... Batman Begins is definately the winner, great acting, awesome story. It was exactly what the Batman franchise needed, hands down the best portrayal of the Dark Knight thus far.

Punker69
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
Box Office numbers have nothing to do with how good a movie is, but reflect how effective the marketing was and how much pulling power the names have.

I dont know. Theres been some bad marketing campaigns and the movies ended up being successes.

SleaterKinney32
I'm going for Batman Begins. I did like War of the Worlds, don't get me wrong, and I thought Cruise was great in it. But overall, Batman Begins kicked it's ass, and it stuck with me more. So I'll share my answers, although I guess I arleady answered it, heh (sorry)

1.) War of the Worlds did great in the box office.
2.) Batman Begins
3.) Batman Begins

Droopy
Batman begins is better war of the worlds is a remake so I go the Bat movie because it was more orginal even though it was based of a comic

sithsaber408
Originally posted by DarkWizard
Bale is amazing. Even as a kid. ( Empire of the sun, Newsies )

Tom Cruise is just a Biatch.

laughing

f*ckin Newsies.

That was great.

I haven't thought about that movie in years.

("How bout a crooked politican? Hey stupid that aint news noooo moooree"wink

Yeah, WOTW was great popcorn stuff, real good fun to watch, but Batman shits all over it.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by sithsaber408
Batman shits all over it.

blink

Da preacher
Originally posted by Droopy
Batman begins is better war of the worlds is a remake so I go the Bat movie because it was more orginal even though it was based of a comic

...and the fifth Batman movie.
And War of the worlds was a good remake to me, it was more like in the book (tripods par exemple).

SnakeEyes
Batman Begins was indeed the fifth Batman film to be made, but keep in mind it is completely separate from the rest of the Batman movies. It's a restart of the franchise, not a continuation.

bakerboy
War of the worlds was great, but batman begins was even better.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Batman Begins was indeed the fifth Batman film to be made, but keep in mind it is completely separate from the rest of the Batman movies. It's a restart of the franchise, not a continuation.

yeah some people have the mistaken impression that its a continution and sequel of the other batman movies when it has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with those movies because like you said,its a restart of the franchise with no afflition from the other films whatsoever.

EPIIIBITES
Can't believe WOTW didn't win the Oscar for Best effects out of those 3 movies...How cool did that tripod first look when it came out of the ground?

That alone was better than anything in the other films. Not as many effects as Kong though I guess...

Scarecrow756
Batman Begins hands down.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.