Clone wars : Canon or not ?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

grey fox
Title is self explanatory

Council#13
...............What?

Darth Vious
Well, the Jedi Assembly considers the Clone Wars as a canon reference for costumes, and RotS follows on exactly where the last episode of the Clone Wars left off, so I'd say it's pretty safe to say that it was indeed a canon source...

roughrider
It's Canon. Maybe the action is more exaggerated, but the events are recognized as part of the history.
I believe everything published since 1991 - Heir To The Empire - is part of the overall continuity, because Lucasfilm is directly involved; even the comics.
The Marvel comics series from 1977 to 1986 is not recognized.

Cascador
I would say that at least Volume II is canon...They had access to information (the story, the costumes, the ships etc...) to make that the 2nd volume. And it ties right in with episode III. I would say that the first one is pretty canon. There are certain levels of canon. And yeah both are not 100% canon, but volume II comes close to it imo

Ushgarak
Moved.

No, the Clone Wars is not canon, because George Lucas didn't write it; that's pretty much the rule for it to be up there at the top.

Clone Wars is EU and therefore not direct canon. EU can fit 100% in with the movies in every way, but that doesn't make it canon. That's not what canon is.

ESB - 1138
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Moved.

No, the Clone Wars is not canon, because George Lucas didn't write it; that's pretty much the rule for it to be up there at the top.

Clone Wars is EU and therefore not direct canon. EU can fit 100% in with the movies in every way, but that doesn't make it canon. That's not what canon is.

So...nothing is cannon unless Lucas himself writes it?

Ushgarak
Literally speaking nothing is canon unless George Lucas, or those he deputises at Lucasfilm, say it is.

As it happens, the only thing they count as proper canon is that stuff GL did himself- the films, and anything derived from them (scripts, novels, radio plays, the precedence working in that order).

As it also happens, GL sees the EU as an alternative universe, so whilst the EU has to be in continuity with the films, the reverse is not true. He could change his mind and make it all canon with a thought if he wanted, but he doesn't.

So finally as it happens, yes- it has to come from something GL wrote. That he might authorise or suggest things doesn't come into it; he does that because he is the ultimate arbitrator of the EU as well.

vpokdekjyafmidp
i thought GL wrote the clone wars cartoons

Captain REX
Nope, the guy who did Samurai Jack did.

vpokdekjyafmidp
i remember samurai jack

Blaxican_Jedi
The samurai Jack cartoons were a thousand times better than the CW cartoon, and better than Starwars episode 2 now that I think about it...

vpokdekjyafmidp
hell yeah

Hello Friend
It's EU, it's not an infinity.

Captain REX
All of EU is an infinity to George.

Ushgarak
Indeed; it is just that Infinity is out of continuity for the EU itself as well.

Arker
CW is supposed to be a reflection of what happened in between AotC and RotS. However, it's very unreliable because of the overpowered characters and such. Plus, it's a reflection of EU, so no, it's not canon.

((The_Anomaly))
In terms of the actual story, its canon (EU canon). But the events, characters in particular, are not canon. Since they directly contradict what the characters are capable of in the movies.

So I'd consider the overall events EU canon, but nothing specific in the show is canon.

For example, in one of the episodes, Mace Windu destroys like 50 super battle droids with his hands (he is punching through metal and stuff). Since this contradicts what Mace can do in the films, it is not canon. However, the overall battle, and the general outcome of that battle would be EU canon.

Nactous
To say its not canon unless GL wrote it is well pretty bland statement. Alot of the miner characters were planned by him but gone indepth by others. So he didnt entirely come up with it himself. Look at the double bladed lightsaber, that wasnt his original idea yet it was put in the movie. Is that fully canon even though he didnt come up wth it and "borrowed" it from Kevin J. Anderson.

Ushgarak
He didn't borrow it directly, it's just an obvious idea.

But so what? GL can pike from whatever source material he likes. The fact still remains that only the works directly created or directly reflecting his own stories are fully canon.

Clone Wars are not his own stories, so they are not. That's all there is to it.

Blaxican_Jedi
Originally posted by Ushgarak
He didn't borrow it directly, it's just an obvious idea.

But so what? GL can pike from whatever source material he likes. The fact still remains that only the works directly created or directly reflecting his own stories are fully canon.

Clone Wars are not his own stories, so they are not. That's all there is to it.

Only the sith..something something about absoluteness..eh I forgot, but the point is that your a Sith now. big grin

Nactous
"Oh my bad Ush, nothing happened outside the movies." What a narro way to look at things.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.