Alex Ross is very very very vain

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

OB1-adobe
I love the mans work. Its superb, life like, and really has a style of its own.

But...........................................

Have you guys ever noticed that the male characters (particularly DC) look a lot like him, only a lot thinner, and a full head of hair.

http://www.alexrossart.com/gallery.html

If you know what Ross looks like, look at the picture of The Flash and try to use your imagination a little bit.

I mean, you could put Batman's mask on Aquaman, and they would look practically the same.

Scoobless
Originally posted by OB1-adobe
I love the mans work. Its superb, life like, and really has a style of its own.

But...........................................

Have you guys ever noticed that the male characters (particularly DC) look a lot like him, only a lot thinner, and a full head of hair.

http://www.alexrossart.com/gallery.html

If you know what Ross looks like, look at the picture of The Flash and try to use your imagination a little bit.

I mean, you could put Batman's mask on Aquaman, and they would look practically the same.

show us a picture of Alex Ross so we can compare.... i have no idea what the guy looks like

Black Adam
I heard Alex Ross once screamed out we won!! We won when they announced Hal was coming back?

Anyone can confirm this or is it just some Internet rumor?

Now that I think of it didn't he refuse to draw Kyle In Kingdom Come so Mark waid had to chose alan scott instead ?

Whats with the Kyle Hate?

roughrider
Alex Ross at some convention.
He's on the right, in the grey t-shirt with the design.

roughrider
Originally posted by Black Adam
I heard Alex Ross once screamed out we won!! We won when they announced Hal was coming back?

Anyone can confirm this or is it just some Internet rumor?

Now that I think of it didn't he refuse to draw Kyle In Kingdom Come so Mark waid had to chose alan scott instead ?

Whats with the Kyle Hate?

That wasn't Hal? I thought it was, in advanced years.
Since it was Elseworlds, I thought current DC continuity didn't matter, so Hal could go in. It was still Wally as the Flash, wasn't it?

K Von Doom
At the time they were making Kingdom Come, the GL story was so messed up (Emerald Twilight, Dawn), that they decided to use a GL that was more stable - Alan Scott.

Ross' characters have some resemblance to him because he uses photo references, sometimes of himself (for facial expressions) and of others (for poses, anatomy and such).

Scoobless
I thought it was Hal as well.... but then i don't recall them ever actually naming the GL in Kingdom Come

roughrider
No, they didn't.

The Ion
He's drawn Kyle once when he did a portrait of Grant Morrison's Big Seven but it was dark so you could hardly see him. It's no secret he's a Silver Age fanboy though.

jrodslam
I once watched a Alex Ross short documentary, and he stated that when he does the art for the heroes and sometimes villains, its hard for him to find people who can model for him. Sometimes people refuse and sometimes if he gets someone, they dont pose a certain way. There are only few characters that other people posed for. He maily does the poses himself to save delay and frustration. I guess if you want it done right, do it yourself ehh?

Personally, i think he does pretty well with the poses. The way he captures Superman and Captain Marvel especially, is a prefect fit imo. Im glad that he really doesnt get alot of other people to pose for him. Who knows, it may be for the better. I still think his JLA and JSA posters are the best of all artists. But thats just me.

Scoobless
I like the fact that his characters don't seem so rediculously muscled, the way almost every other comic artist draws them.... even People like Cyclops get portrayed to look like psychotic body builders who haven't missed a steroid dose with every meal in 20 years

Dr.Fate
off topic what do you mean you thought it was Hal Jordan?

i mean they never do say its Alan but I don't know I just kind of assumed it was Alan Scott he was the only lantern that years a cape and then when new members are joining the leagur and he's talking to hawkman and Dr.Midnite since they were golden age JSa members plus his daughter Jade and him. You know if you didn't know much about the GL's you might assume it Hal Jordan. Umm sorry I guess its an easy mistake i just happen to be a fan of Alan.

of and yes Alex Ross does do great work and his guys don't look all the same

NoFate007
I personally don't like a lot of his work. He makes a lot of characters look sort of fat and like they're from the 20s. Look at Superman's body for instance. To me it looks like he's an old man in pajamas that are two sizes too small. This is in most pictures - I've seen 3 or 4 where it isn't true.

Of course I'm not saying he can't draw, cause he's 100% a better drawer than I'll ever be, so I give him credit for being able to do what he does, but I just think his choices are a bit off.

roughrider
Unless I'm mistaken, it's because Alan Scott is a mystic, not like the modern Green Lantern Corps. The city satellite he built for himself looked like a product of Oa tech, aka the power ring. Plus, his hair looked white enough; it didn't occur to me he could have been blond.

jrodslam
When i first saw it, i thought it was Hal as well. After readiong the book and looking at all the images, it is Alan. Even the Lantern on his chest is Alan's symbol as well as the ringhe wears. And if you notice in the final battle Lanterns armor is penetrated by Ollies arrows(wood). Plus Jade was always by him alot. To get it mixed up with him being Hal is a common mistake.

The Ion
Plus Alan ended up wearing the same armor in normal JSA appearances. embarrasment

jrodslam
Plus Lanterns wear the rings on their right hand while Alan wears his on the left. big grin

Dr.Fate
really i didn't know that

~Mitsurugi~
Alex ross is great, but he is full of himself, he talked shit about JMS being on Spider-Man, saying he didn't know WTF he was doing.

Artists have no bussines talkin about the writers.

roughrider
So why did Ross & Waid use Northwind for Kingdom Come, instead of the true Hawkman? They said it was Hawkman, evolved into a bird creature.

jrodslam
In the back of the book it said......

Hawkman - Combining the spirit of the old with the otherwordly flesh of the new.

Who is Northwind, roughrider?

roughrider
Here...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwind_%28comics%29

I was confused, because Northwind is shown a lot in the Black Adam Respect Thread. And the 'Hawkman' of Kingdom come seems mute, like he is. But these are two different characters, and Hawkman's resemblence to Northwind was a coincidence? confused

Dr.Fate
actaully that version of northwind appeared after the KC version of Hawkman. The DC writers have been using Alex's images for ideas and stuff. like look at Jakeem Thunder recently his head got shaved and he got a hat, he looks just like the KC thunderbolt

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.