3 Million Clone Troopers?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

CellDweller
According to the book Triple Zero on p. 34, there are 3,000,000 clone troopers. I thought there were only 1,200,000. Anyone care to enlighten me?

JaehSkywalker
hmm...

Fishy
The movie says 1.000.000 clone troopers and another 2.000.000 on the way. LOE says the same, and says that half of them already died by that time.

The number although canon is the most absurd number I ever heard... And it should be shot, but the 1.2 million thing is the right thing.

JaehSkywalker
hmm... new info...

ESB - 1138
Attack of the Clones say

"we have 200,000 ready for battle and another 1,000,000 on the way," but that could just mean 1,000,000 is almost ready for battle. It is very possible that the clone army could have grown a lot more in number over the years.

Wesker
3 million troops would be like having three army rangers protect the earth. Not enough for the republic.

Fishy
Originally posted by Wesker
3 million troops would be like having three army rangers protect the earth. Not enough for the republic.

And the sad thing is, its even less then 3 million. AOTC makes that very clear, its the most idiotic number I ever heard for a full scale war in an entire galaxy, but its true all the same.

Wesker
Still, EU points out that mass conscription was the order of the day. The clones were used as shock troops, and an extensive navy meant less need for ground operations.

Fishy
Still, EU points out that mass conscription was the order of the day. The clones were used as shock troops, and an extensive navy meant less need for ground operations.

Where does it do that? I haven't heard of a lot of people recruited for either side during the war, a few here and there. The clones did work with the gruond army's of the planet that is true, but I never once heard story's of entire army's of recruits.

Wesker
Medstar duology. Not everyone was recruited for army uses per se, as there were a lot hired as technicians, medical staff, and logistics support, but there was a draft.

Fishy
Medstar duology. Not everyone was recruited for army uses per se, as there were a lot hired as technicians, medical staff, and logistics support, but there was a draft.

And these people fought at the front lines of the war, or actually fought? And how many where there? Because there isn't any mention of normal troops in any other source that I know off...

Wesker
They're used mostly as reserves and to set up bases, occupy territory, etc. The Clone Troopers aren't numerous enough to act as the sole army of the Republic. Initially they were all the Republic had on short notice, and they late worked out to become shock troopers and the spearhead behind any ground operations and a few space ones. Wong in particular has a theory that even though a lot of troopers, tech support, pilots etc. wore the same outfits, they may not have all been troopers. The casualty rates of even the very best armies would support this.

The US infantry divisions that fought in North West Europe between D-Day on 6 June 1944 and VE-Day on 8 May 1945 had an average manpower turnover of approximately one hundred per cent. -World War II INfantry Tactics by Dr. Stephen Bull, 2004)

Meanwhile, the Clone Troopers numbering around three million would have to engage on multiple fronts, different terrains, and against droids numbering in the millions would be insufficient. Note that on Kashykk the Clone Troopers and jedi were working with a local coalition of Wookiees. Also in Jedi Trial, merc groups and Republic loyalists comprised of ad hoc armies, along with local talent. Everything points to there being manpower in addition to the number of troops, including rational thought and common sense.

Fishy
Well the home army's where indeed there, definitly. But the clones still did all the conquering helped with the defending of planets... They would still have been the infantry of the army, during ROTS every trooper we see is a clone, in the EU most of the troopers we see are clones, except for on planets the clones are defending then they ussually have help.

I really wonder how Lucas came up with a number that idiotic though, what the ****? 1.2 million clones is just stupid. No matter how much reinforcements were inlisted, the greater part of the army was still clone and 1.2 million troops simply shouldn't be able to fight galaxy wide wars.

Wesker
A LOT of things in SW are pretty unrealistic when it comes to the military. Like the jedi tactics at Geonosis? Horrid. No sane general would do that, even with jedi. The Trade Federations tactics on Naboo? Horrid. The most tactical thing I've seen in the series is the Battle of Hoth and the chokepoint the Rebels make on the blockade runner in the beginning of ANH. And neither really worked out that well.

Damn Imp troops and their Russian tactics.

Fishy
A LOT of things in SW are pretty unrealistic when it comes to the military. Like the jedi tactics at Geonosis? Horrid. No sane general would do that, even with jedi. The Trade Federations tactics on Naboo? Horrid. The most tactical thing I've seen in the series is the Battle of Hoth and the chokepoint the Rebels make on the blockade runner in the beginning of ANH. And neither really worked out that well.

Damn Imp troops and their Russian tactics.

Well the Jedi weren't exactly military master minds... And thats an understatement.

Just look at the battle of Kashyyyk, bunch of Wookies burried in, and one the cliffs giving them a huge advantage, and what do they do? They run towards the ships, leaving their safe place where they could shoot to instead shoot from 2 meters away where they can easily be hit as well... Freaking retards. How the Jedi ever started winning the war is beyond me.

The Trade Federation tactics however, well to be honest I wouldn't have expected anything better. It was a mass army against an enemy army, when you have the resources and the numbers on your side and your enemy is an idiot walking forward can still be an idea... Especially if you don't care about losses, which they obviously didn't.

Still you are right, even when I can find an excuse for the sucky tactics they still suck...

Wesker
I think the jedi and Republic won because of the massive navy of the latter. The Republic navy could stomp the Separatist one every time, and once they pinpointed key locations, the Separatists were just screwed.

But the Battle of Kashykk was horrid. How Yoda could have sat there and let that happen...

Blaxican_Jedi
Originally posted by Fishy
And these people fought at the front lines of the war, or actually fought? And how many where there? Because there isn't any mention of normal troops in any other source that I know off...

I just got through reading a CW book called...Jedi trial I think. In the book their is one republic commander whose entire army consists of multi-racial beings. And Anikin leads in attack later on in the story, a clone army that is, but all of the captains and such on his flag ship are average human joe blows, along with the ships crew.

Fishy
Okay, that would explain a lot... And that sounds far more logical, and even somewhat acceptable... Well not really but its better then just 1.2 million troops.

I think the jedi and Republic won because of the massive navy of the latter. The Republic navy could stomp the Separatist one every time, and once they pinpointed key locations, the Separatists were just screwed.

But the Battle of Kashykk was horrid. How Yoda could have sat there and let that happen...

Sounds logical especially with what Black Mexican dude just said... But sometimes I still wonder how the hell the Jedi could have been made generals, what kind of idiots where the people in that era? Really...

Does a thousand years of peace make generals unable to think?

JaehSkywalker
i think the part of the brain that thinks of strategy for wars shut down when there is peace 4 a thousand years..

Wesker
There's never been a thousand years of peace here, so who can say?

Ushgarak
It is ture, the numbers given in AOTC are pitiful. That's a number that Belgium might be proud to manage, but not one planet and nothing like the ludicrous scale of an entiire Galactic Republic.

Fishy
There's never been a thousand years of peace here, so who can say?

Well it wasn't really peace, there was still some fighting going on, and you would probably still train people and especially generals in times like that. You just have to wonder how absolutely idiotic the schools would have been, and what part of the force makes Jedi think that jumping into an arena to be surrounded is a good idea...

Really if there is anything that ruins the idea of Jedi knowing stuff for me its the battle of Geonosis..

Blaxican_Jedi
the black mxican dude? Wouldn't it be easier to say blaxican?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.