Favourite Bonus Feature from Ep. III DVD

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

roughrider
The Star Wars and Lord Of The Rings Extended Editions are among the best for extra features, I believe. The long documentary "The Beginning", was the highlight of The Phantom Menace set.

I like a lot of the web documentaries, but I've been watching "The Chosen One" doc almost obsessively, because it's all about Anakin, Vader & the prophecy meanings. It's my favourite feature.
What about anyone else?

Tangible God
I enjoy the documentaries in the LOTR. Not SW as much though, they become stale after a while.

DeVi| D0do
I can still watch The Beginning and be totally mesmerised. Not least of all because it makes me laugh at the end when they show theatres packed with screaming fans on the opening night... little do they know how dissappointed they're going to be.

Kidding.

I love that doco. I only wish we had a fly on the wall style doco for every film...

Eleonora
Originally posted by Tangible God
I enjoy the documentaries in the LOTR. Not SW as much though, they become stale after a while.

To me it's the contrary, although I still can't forgive Lucasfilm for not including the bloopers in the last one. The SW dvds are still the most special ones to me, although I don't own the dvd of TPM (yet ;-)). However, if you have the LOTR extended editions (I don't think it's worth spending money on the standard ones), you're definitely in for a lot of fun (*hint* George *hint*!), they're great.

roughrider
The Star Wars and LOTR DVD's, you look at the designs and features, and you can feel it has the touch of personal, independent filmmakers outside out of the Hollywood system. By contrast, look at the extras from films like Troy and King Arthur, and they are just unimaginative, assembly-line extras with no serious insight.
I'll throw the PIXAR films in with the former group too, now that I think of it. Those guys have unique sensibilities.

DeVi| D0do
Good call. I love watching the Pixar docos...

sithsaber408
The deleted scenes are always cool, but frustrating.

I would have liked to have seen all the stuff with padme's family in AOTC and of course the rebellion stuff in ROTS.

The Beginning is ultra-dope, with the web-docs being pretty good for all three. (the good ones can be watched over and over, but the crap ones are insufferable. who really gives a shit about the life of an HD tape. They covered that, in less boring detail, in the ATOC webdocs.)

The 2 docs on ATOC are okay (I enjoy the pre-vis one more), and the ROTS ones are first rate.

(As much as I liked Within A Minute, I can't watch it in the evenings or I will nod off.) smile

I really liked the ILM effects reel on AOTC, wish they would have done that for ROTS.

roughrider
Yes, deleted scenes. A find a couple from every episode I rather wish he put in. Lucas has philosophies about pacing and speed though; it's his filmmaking and editing style. I don't think he believes in three-hour plus movies - likely thinks he could tell the same story in two hours, so he can be ruthless with cutting his work. Funny; his belief is that the audience needs to get going with the story. Doesn't he realize we would eat up three-hour Star Wars films, with no complaints? Maybe even ask for longer. big grin

Darth Subjekt
ah...but my friend, you fail to see the bigger picture. If he includes everything right off the bat, then he wont be able to make 17 more editions of each movie and maximize his profits, cause he knows dumbshits like us will but just about anything he puts on DVD and call "Special Edition". Its all his money making scheme as well as his personal movie making style.

roughrider
Oh, you assume too much. We had multiple issues of VHS and Laserdiscs, where there was no extra scenes, until the Special Editions in 1997 included more scenes. Since then, just the extra FX refinements on DVD. He's still holding onto scenes like Luke with his friends on Tatooine (Fixer & Biggs etc.), and the group walking in the sandstorm to the Millenium Falcon in ROTJ.

DeVi| D0do
I think the Biggs stuff in ANH would just be a little out of place... It wouldn't fit anywhere. And they're very slow scenes as well. It would be nice to see them on a DVD at some stage, but I really don't want to see them in the film...

Despite what many may think, George isn't a complete moron... He does no a tad more than the average bear about film making.

chinabing
The toche station scenes are out on the web, I finally saw them a few months ago. It was great to see them, but maybe Lucas was right, they made it feel like it was "'American Graffiti' in space." They weren't that integral.

I also read one comment by a SW fan who said he identified with Luke when he was a kid, but now that he's an adult, he identified with Uncle Owen about his kid "wasting time with his friends." smile

roughrider
It might have slowed things down, having the scenes with Luke and his friends, but Lucas has sounded persuable in the past about the walk to the Falcon in ROTJ. He put the important dialogue briefly over the communicator, as the two ships seperate - the scene instead had it with them on the ground, like it was written in the novelization. I think it would be special to see Han, after all he went through, to see his ship again, coming out of the sandstorm. Like reuniting. Just my opinion.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.