Outbound Flight.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SithDagger
I've read Survivers quest, the Thrawn Trilogy, and looked up information on Project Outbound flight on the Wookiepedia, although I have not read "Outbound Flight" the book yet.
It does not mention which galaxy/target it was originally intended to go after, it mostly says that it was a mission to find life outside of the galaxy.

What do you think there target galaxy/nebula was?
Where would it be in relation to the Star Wars galaxy?
Why do you think they picked it?

DarthBanevv
I haven't read any of the books by Timothy Zahn, except Slight hand the tale of Mara Jade. I would read them, I have all of them except Heir to the Empire, Survivor's quest and Vision for the future. And I can't read any of them until I read Heir to the Empire.

SithDagger
LOL, this is not discussing the books, its mostly mentioning them.
I want to know if anyone here has a theory about where the mission was headed, what would have happened where Thrawn not to destroy Outbound flight.

DarthBanevv
Hmm. That's a hard one. I have a hard time believing they would have made contact with anybody. Perhaps they would have made contact with the Yuzhan Vong, before they invaded the SWG. That's probably most likely.

SithDagger
I thought that to at first.
But the Yuzzhan Vong came from east on the SW NJO map, while Outbound flight, in order to have come accrosst Thrawn, would have to head North.

Captain REX
Well, if the Vong are out there, I doubt that there is nothing else. There has to be various species in another Galaxy, not that we know what they are.

There was also the Traveler in the Void, from Marvel. While that's considered noncanon, I find it interesting; Luke and Leia happen across an organic craft from a galaxy ravaged by war, and the pilot is hardwired into the ship and tries to kill them because he thinks its the ship's computers running another simulation for his amusement as he floats in the void. He seemed vaguely humanoid, not that we saw much of him. I dunno where on the map this occured, though. Then, it's still noncanon.

SithDagger
Riders in the void, that is my favorite Star Wars comic. smile
Well yes, this topic was created, considering life existed in the universe as we know it, although it cant seem to leave the galaxy its in, etc, like Star Wars people.
After all, there is the galaxy shown by Star Trek, and another one by Andromeda.
So why not Star Wars?

Tangible God
There already is two galaxies concerning SW, only the other is never visited.

If Thrawn were to have succeeded or continued with his voyage, he likely would NOT have come across the Vong, as you said, when concerning North and East on a galactic scale, it's not likely you'll run into anything that easily by chance.

He probably would have just made for the next closest galaxy, and if he did that, I have a hard time believing that he'd ever come back. And other than the repercussion that followed Thrawn's attack on the Republic, the SW galaxy would have followed pretty much the same route. Reborn Palpatine, Black Fleet Crisis, Vong invasion etc... Only this time, Pelleaon would be removed from the race, and that could have adverse effects.

truejedi
Originally posted by Tangible God
There already is two galaxies concerning SW, only the other is never visited.

If Thrawn were to have succeeded or continued with his voyage, he likely would NOT have come across the Vong, as you said, when concerning North and East on a galactic scale, it's not likely you'll run into anything that easily by chance.

He probably would have just made for the next closest galaxy, and if he did that, I have a hard time believing that he'd ever come back. And other than the repercussion that followed Thrawn's attack on the Republic, the SW galaxy would have followed pretty much the same route. Reborn Palpatine, Black Fleet Crisis, Vong invasion etc... Only this time, Pelleaon would be removed from the race, and that could have adverse effects.

First off, Outbound flight isn't by Thrawn, its by the Jedi of the old Republic. They never specifically say what there destination was, all they do say is that they were searching for life outside of their own galaxy. I've never looked at the maps at the beginning of the book, but they do fly through the unkown regions, into the chiss ascendancy if that helps pinpoint their direction.
My thought on what they would have found: technically, our galaxy, exists in the star wars universe, because, "a long time ago in a galaxy far far away" --just a thought!

SithDagger
Interesting.
So if they would have found our galaxy, and come accrosst us, what period of time would they come in at?
Since its "a long time ago in a galaxy far far away" it might be a little complicated, considering they would be coming in on sublight engines, as hyperspace doesn't work between galaxies.
After all the Yuzzhan Vong, took a very long time, and we dont even know when they started there mass movement.

DarthBanevv
Originally posted by SithDagger
Interesting.
So if they would have found our galaxy, and come accrosst us, what period of time would they come in at?
Since its "a long time ago in a galaxy far far away" it might be a little complicated, considering they would be coming in on sublight engines, as hyperspace doesn't work between galaxies.
After all the Yuzzhan Vong, took a very long time, and we dont even know when they started there mass movement. Perhaps during the Roman empire's height?

Tangible God
Originally posted by truejedi
First off, Outbound flight isn't by Thrawn, its by the Jedi of the old Republic. Yup, I realized that 20 minutes after I posted.

SithDagger
Well I thought, since it takes a long time to travel that far, thousands of years probably, and since galaxy's are far away from each other, and in fact moving away from each other, that it would be later, like right after WW2 or so.

I never thought during the height of the Roman Empire, that would be interesting for them to come acrosst

JaehSkywalker
i wish i have enough money to buy all of that

DarthBanevv
Well I thought, since it takes a long time to travel that far, thousands of years probably, and since galaxy's are far away from each other, and in fact moving away from each other, that it would be later, like right after WW2 or so.

I never thought during the height of the Roman Empire, that would be interesting for them to come acrosst I don't think we will ever know, but that's a good theory.

truejedi

I never thought during the height of the Roman Empire, that would be interesting for them to come acrosst

we have no way of knowing! a long long time and far far away can be interpreted in any way you want to! in fact, there is very little chance that there would be any life on this planet, i mean, life came into existence 6,000 years ago on this planet, and what are the chances that the jedi would have happened across earth during that timespan?

Moff Tarkin
Hmm, didn't it prove that Palpatine knew all along that the Vong had planned an invasion? Maybe that's a reason he created such a vast military, so no one (specifically the Vong) could challenge him.

Captain REX
I don't know any evidence that would say that, but it seems an interesting idea.

truejedi
Originally posted by Moff Tarkin
Hmm, didn't it prove that Palpatine knew all along that the Vong had planned an invasion? Maybe that's a reason he created such a vast military, so no one (specifically the Vong) could challenge him.

How did outbound flight prove that? it was made by the Jedi before palpatine ever came to power. (is that what you were saying?)

SithDagger
Yeah, your theory is very confusing.
Besides, if you read the NJO books, you'll find the Yuzzhan Vong had an outpost in this galaxy for a long time.

Revolver Ocelot
Hmm, either I misread something, or I'm talking about the wrong book.

Tangible God
Yeah, your theory is very confusing.
Besides, if you read the NJO books, you'll find the Yuzzhan Vong had an outpost in this galaxy for a long time. Just shortly after the Naboo invasion, they entered the galaxy.

DarthBanevv
Originally posted by Moff Tarkin
Hmm, didn't it prove that Palpatine knew all along that the Vong had planned an invasion? Maybe that's a reason he created such a vast military, so no one (specifically the Vong) could challenge him. Well I doubt the Emperor knew about it. It was before he came into power, right? But if the Empire did fight the Vong there is no doubt in my mind that the Empire would win. In Traitor Nom Anor said that Luke Skywalker helped the Vong without knowing it and that if Luke hadn't had a hand in the downfall of the Empire, that they could have destroyed the Vong.

Morridini
i mean, life came into existence 6,000 years ago on this planet,

Well that is the biblical version, life has existed for much longer on this planet.

Darth Traya
we have no way of knowing! a long long time and far far away can be interpreted in any way you want to! in fact, there is very little chance that there would be any life on this planet, i mean, life came into existence 6,000 years ago on this planet, and what are the chances that the jedi would have happened across earth during that timespan?

LMAO! I see idiocy is still strong here...

-

But anyway, I'm not sure what would have happened...

J.M FcThumbs-Up
Originally posted by Morridini
Well that is the biblical version, life has existed for much longer on this planet.

Yes indeed....this planet exists for some 3 billion years now and life on it some 2.5 billion years now>>>>Scientifically seen ofcourse!
Let's just say that everybody has a different point of view to history.

truejedi
Originally posted by Darth Traya
LMAO! I see idiocy is still strong here...

-

But anyway, I'm not sure what would have happened...

poor gullible fool, but that is the last thing i'm going to say about it...

SithDagger
Lol, I suppose it depends on what you believe in more, but thats religion, not SW EU stuff laughing
Well, I dont think anyone will really know when they would have come then, I guess.
Unless someone is good at calculating possible distances between there galaxy and ours, and knows how to calculate that with sublight transport in that kind of distance.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.