What is a Sin?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Shakyamunison

Wesker
A sin is a purely religious concept. It's so subjective I wouldn't bother myself with it.

xyz revolution
I believe a sin is an act against religious beliefs. I also believe in freedom of speech and everyone's rights. Therefore, by saying something's a sin, your stopping them from choosing for themselves.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by xyz revolution
I believe a sin is an act against religious beliefs. I also believe in freedom of speech and everyone's rights. Therefore, by saying something's a sin, your stopping them from choosing for themselves.

But is there anything you will not do. Is there anything that you would consider to be a personal sin?

xyz revolution
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
But is there anything you will not do. Is there anything that you would consider to be a personal sin? what like? Murder n theft?

Shakyamunison
what like? Murder n theft?

Yes, anything.

xyz revolution
Yes, anything. okay,

murder, theft, selfishness, racism, anything linked with them and religion I think is a sin. Because you don't need religion to be a better person. Everything you need, you've got, religion is just in your head. You need to take control and do things for yourself.

Shakyamunison
okay,

murder, theft, selfishness, racism, anything linked with them and religion I think is a sin. Because you don't need religion to be a better person. Everything you need, you've got, religion is just in your head. You need to take control and do things for yourself.

How would you boil that down to a personal "law". I agree that you don't need religion or God to be moral, but what would be the limits and or law that you would set for yourself and why.

Me... my personal law or rule regarding conduct or sin is; I do not slander anyone, or at least, I try not to.

Storm
Since the term is used in a religious context, sin is transgression of religious or divine law. Disobedience to God.

leonheartmm
in my oppinion real sin is a concept that willingly defies the most perfect imaginary system of justice that exists from the birth of all living things, that is to not hurt anything with a conciounce in any way.{even if it is for a greater good} or to the best of your abilities, be honest in any thing concerning them which they have right over{whether that be air/water or their free will etc}.

leonheartmm
ofcourse the above mentioned rights of beings can only be given according to the specific scenario therefore sin is a reletive term to some degree.

xyz revolution
How would you boil that down to a personal "law". I agree that you don't need religion or God to be moral, but what would be the limits and or law that you would set for yourself and why.

Me... my personal law or rule regarding conduct or sin is; I do not slander anyone, or at least, I try not to. Yeah, we have civil rights and govenment issues for that.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Storm
Since the term is used in a religious context, sin is transgression of religious or divine law. Disobedience to God.

Yes, but I would be open to reading other interpretations of sin.

leonheartmm
however this system of law should prove an irrational base for every RIGHT as to give the same rights to every1 and approve of only those rights which do not overthrow similar rights of another individual{eg. a person can not ask for the right to have no1 look at him while he is walking because he is uncomfortable/feals hurt because of it. in this way there can be a clear cut definition for logical and illogical/unacceptable rights}

Storm
Yes, but I would be open to reading other interpretations of sin.
Then I wouldn' t have posted it in the Religion Forum.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Storm
Then I wouldn' t have posted it in the Religion Forum.

Why? Sin is a religious topic. I am simply willing to include the concepts of secularism into the religous topic of sin.

debbiejo
Sin is a religious concept though. It does away with being true to ones own self. Which would be like sin against yourself. Though I do believe we should treat others like we would want them to treat us, it doesn't mean to give up ones will to another person. That would only make you a slave to others wishes. For instance, in a relationship, you want to leave, but they want you to stay, so you stay, making yourself a slave to the other person giving up your free will and your truth to someone else....Which of course is not what love is, and a sin against yourself.

Makedde
A sin is anything the Catholic Church says is a sin, which is just about everything.

mysterio69
everytime someone masturbates, god kills a puppy or a kitten. whichever he feels like.

finti
What is a Sin? a word

Fishy
Its a concept, breaking a law that is supposed to have been created by a divine being.

To me the only sin you can commit is not being true to yourself. Screw religious laws, screw what the pope says, screw the church the mosque and whatever other religious building exists. You do what makes you feel good and if you need religion for that then good for you, but the second you let somebody else lead your life for you, you are committing a sin, not towards the church but towards god itself and towards you. Because you are ruining your life limiting your life, you are wasting the limited time you have trying to please something else. Please yourself, be happy live a life worth living.

Not doing that to me, is the only sin you can commit.

xyz revolution
a "sin" is probably just anything unethical really.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.