:( wasnt it just??

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

16carlos1989
Is it me or did anyone else find the defeat of the Jedi upsetting??
you can call me a wimp if you like, but i found it deeply upsetting when the Jedi Masters were being turned against by what they thought was their own troops.

Anyone else find it upsetting?
sad

Guy LeDouche
Yeah, I know what you mean.

jollyjim311
Yeah... well this was a fun thread.

LanceWindu
Originally posted by 16carlos1989
Is it me or did anyone else find the defeat of the Jedi upsetting??
you can call me a wimp if you like, but i found it deeply upsetting when the Jedi Masters were being turned against by what they thought was their own troops.

Anyone else find it upsetting?
sad

First time I saw Order 66, I got emotional...

Everytime after that I'm like..."w00t! Go Empire!!!"

Tangible God
I felt bad for Ki-Adi-Mundi. That's it, all the others I gave the finger to.

Da preacher
Originally posted by LanceWindu
First time I saw Order 66, I got emotional...

Everytime after that I'm like..."w00t! Go Empire!!!"

Same here.

Darth Subjekt
How you gonna give the finger to Plo Koon? He's the man....yea....j/k. I think it was the music more so than the action. It grips me sometimes...kinda depends on how "in to" the movie I am at the time. I feel bad for Aayla, and nor just cause shes a hot blue chick, but they do her dirty man, after she's down they just keep shooting her....bastards.

Tarvos
Originally posted by Tangible God
I felt bad for Ki-Adi-Mundi. That's it, all the others I gave the finger to.

preysin
the jedis had it coming.

General G
When I watched that part, it made me feel all good inside, after ruling for a millenia, and how they thought the Sith to be dead, they got exactly what was coming to them. Except they should have gotten Obi-Wan too because he shouldnt't have survived that.

amity75
I felt sorry for Ki Adi, Plo Koon etc but by the end of the movie thanks to Obi Wan and Yodas whining I'd turned to the darkside and couldn't give a toss for the Jedi. Go Empire!

jollyjim311
In the Battlefront two game it tells how Aayla saved the troops from certain death. The clones shot her in the back because none of them could stand to look her (or each other, for that matter) in the eye. I feel bad for Aayla now when I see that. They did those scenes well, the music, the timing, it manages to bring you into the movie very effectively.

Tangible God
Originally posted by jollyjim311
In the Battlefront two game it tells how Aayla saved the troops from certain death. The clones shot her in the back because none of them could stand to look her (or each other, for that matter) in the eye. I feel bad for Aayla now when I see that. They did those scenes well, the music, the timing, it manages to bring you into the movie very effectively. IMO, the freaky lookin chick on the speeder bike pissed me off. It's the fact that she actually did NOT see it coming. Mundi, Aayla and Plo each looked back and realized what happened right before they died, but the bike chick? Nothin.'

That really bugs me.

jollyjim311
Ignan't bika chickz.

TheOnes2
I laughed my head of when i saw that. It was like: "HA DIE NOW!"

Red Superfly
I found it hilarious.

None of the Jedi had more than a few lines through the whole trilogy.

So why would I care?

BAILY
It wasnt that upsetting.. they were blinded by their arrogance, to quote Sidious... so they got what they deserved... to get their asses kicked off the pedestal they raised themselves on..

truejedi
it bothered me. i guess i can call myself a jedi fanboy, and they are easily my favorite part of the movie, so seeing them die without much of a fight, or without doing anything heroic was pretty disappointing. first time i watched it, i figured a lot more of them would die like mace, and a lot less like plo kloon.

henniestevens
It was nicely done, and better then vader killing them all in a battle or something like that...

sithsaber408
Originally posted by henniestevens
It was nicely done, and better then vader killing them all in a battle or something like that...

It was nicely done, but its debateable about Vader pwning the whole bunch of them.

Red Superfly
Would have preffered suited Vader taking out at least 3 Jedi.

Palpatine was being a bit greedy.

Captain REX
I was expecting some suited killing as well.

Red Superfly
We didn't even get a sparking of a red saber for the first time.

Now I think about it - what the hell?

darthvader_fan
yea wtf

darht dude
their loss for being stupid

Alliance
there are three episodes of a suited vader...why would Anakin instantly create a new lightsaber in 6 hours just to get a red blade?...why ruin the dramatic end of the movie to show more killing ater 1.5 hrs of killing to satisfy a fanboy wet dream?...why show Vader killing when they didn't even show Anakin (unsuited vader) killing (as in death blow) any jedi through the whole movie?...

It just doesn't make any sense...

Rhindon
Originally posted by Alliance
there are three episodes of a suited vader...why would Anakin instantly create a new lightsaber in 6 hours just to get a red blade?...why ruin the dramatic end of the movie to show more killing ater 1.5 hrs of killing to satisfy a fanboy wet dream?...why show Vader killing when they didn't even show Anakin (unsuited vader) killing (as in death blow) any jedi through the whole movie?...

It just doesn't make any sense...

No, but it could be interpreted as at least a little time has passed between Vader first coming out of surgery and his time on the deck of the ship looking at the partially constructed Death Star. They could have had a line where Sideous tells him there's rumors of stray Jedi alive in the galaxy and he lights up the saber and leaves the room to go hunt them down or something.

Cascador
I loved the music during the killing of the Jedi (Anakin's betrayel) which gave you an emotional feeling, but did I feel upset? no! They had it coming...like someone from Star Wars would say...It was their destiny!

chinabing
Originally posted by Cascador
I loved the music during the killing of the Jedi (Anakin's betrayel) which gave you an emotional feeling, but did I feel upset? no! They had it coming...like someone from Star Wars would say...It was their destiny!
They had it coming? They were all fragged by their own troops! And Anakin slaughtered younglings... did those kiddies 'have it coming' too?

Rhindon
Originally posted by Cascador

I loved that music too Cascador. It put the whole thing in a very somber setting that I felt was appropriate. I was sad to see what happened to the Jedi... especially being turned on by their own troops.

Cascador
Originally posted by chinabing
They had it coming? They were all fragged by their own troops! And Anakin slaughtered younglings... did those kiddies 'have it coming' too?

I'm not saying they deserved it, but they shouldn't haven given up their principles to fight in the war, maybe they would have see more of the truth then and maybe it would have been more clear that they were manipulated. Anakin also had it coming what happened to him...But again I'm not saying he deserved it.

Alliance
Originally posted by Rhindon
No, but it could be interpreted as at least a little time has passed between Vader first coming out of surgery and his time on the deck of the ship looking at the partially constructed Death Star. They could have had a line where Sideous tells him there's rumors of stray Jedi alive in the galaxy and he lights up the saber and leaves the room to go hunt them down or something.

That is true...it would have been intelligent for Palps to lead vader into the OT, something like. "We have recieved word that jedi have escaped...blach blah blah in some cheesy dialogue" and have Vader leave to begin hunteng them down. BUT...it still doesnt involve a suited Vader killing jedi with a red saber.

Originally posted by chinabing

Cascador is right. It was the Order's fault. I don't balme the kids, but if the Order had actually used its brain muscles they could have figured this whole thing out and save a lot of lives, including thier own lives. THis is a fauulure of the leadership and the philosophy of the jedi...not a six year old with a training saber.

Could have come from star wars: "oh look! someone just gave us a 10 year old fully trained and equipped army magically at the onset of a war!"

"ok...lets just take it and assume its ok, even though we know a corrupted jedi orderd it"

The order was weak, corrupt, decrepit and a danger to the Republic. (though not as great a danger as Palps was) They were the one hope for the Republic and they failed. Its war...atrocities are commited and people die, even innocents. AND! without presenting EIII as the apacolypse, the post-apocalyptic grunge industrial imperialism of the OT doesnt makes sense! (and we like post-apocalyptic grunge industrial imperialism very much...STAR DESTROYERS!)

And anakin deserved what happened to him...i believe in accepting consequences for your actions.

jollyjim311
Originally posted by Rhindon

Yeah, Vader leaves the room, then realizes he ignited his saber for no reason. He apologises to his right flank stormtrooper and then turns his light saber off. The only reason for Vader's igniting would be to battle, which would either be a really cool scene, or a scene that they just kind of added on when a battle scene wasn't needed. If they could have put the scene in the right spot it would have been cool, but I like the last fight being Anakin and Obi Wan, it is good as is.

Rhindon
Or he could have ignited it at the mention of Jedi still being alive (gut reaction), then realized what he had done and turn it off.

Council#13
Sorry for bumping the thread.

I think it's sad because almost all the Jedi dont realize they've been betrayed by Anakin (e.g. the Temple massecre). I felt bad for Plo Koon because if you watch carefully, right before he gets shot down, he sticks his hand infront of his face in a reflexive action. I didn't feel that bad for Ki-Adi-Mundi, because he died like a warrior, killing some of the Clone Marines. Aayla I was disgusted with because she didnt do anything then appeared to fall down. Likewise with Stass Allie.

Lucas probably also played that sad, slow music for you to feel bad for the Jedi.

Stun
"Mourn them do not, miss them do not."wink

Tarvos
I felt bad for Adi-Mundi because of his facial expression... Plo Koon, I really didn't notice anything, probably because I've only seen it once, and that was when it was in theatres. Aayla, didn't really feel anything because she just fell down and got blasted up.

Sesse
Stupid Yoda doesn't even follow his own advice!

"Goodbye <generc wookiename>, good bye Chewbacca, miss you I will."

"Killed not by blaster this Padawan was... A lightsaber *sob*"

Unless he was being polite and quite happy to get rid of those filth-bags, and just happened to almost cry out of pure happiness...

Xam
they got what was coming to them...so i was happy

Tangible God
I really don't understand when people say "they had it coming."

Alliance
its a reference to the failed practicies of the jedi order and the doom they created around themselves

Council#13
Plo Koon I still find sad how he reflexively attempts to defend himself

Alliance
the whole sequence is sad...I wish Lucas would have been fairer to the jedi, Ki-Adi's and Obi-Wan's attepted deaths were the only ones that I was satisfied with. Secura just fell over, Koon looked confused.

Now that I think of it, Stass Allie's was on the good side too.

Lucas clearly should have shown more of the temple sequence, his one little clip was arbitrary. Get a little epic sequence in there, that should have been the 2nd most powerful scene in the movie and the most iconic to the saga.

chinabing
There were probably hundred or thousands of Jedi, how long do you want the movie to be?

Alliance
laughing out loud I dont need to see every jedi killed, but Lucas should have spent at least a minute or two on the figiting in the temple...Sure we 30 seconds of the march in and 5 of fighting and 30 of anakin igniting his saber, but we don't actually see Anakin kill any jedi.

Just some great pan shot of clones firing from the balconies, jedi rushing about, Anakin taking them down...thats the point Lucas needed to make. It should have been a sequence, not a clip...I'd say, about the time he spent on the Kenobi Grievous duel (the first real part with sabers)

chinabing
Anakin's lightsaber ignition w/the jedi kids was chilling enough for me. The march in, with the music and the set-up, was very ominous. Anakin 'hunted down and destroyed' the jedi by finding the hiding kids in the council chambers, old Obi-Wan's Ep IV 'prophesy' fulfilled. Enough said; more would have been redundant, and 'wouldn't move the story along.'

I read the part of the book where Anakin meets Jedi in the temple and the author had him saying droll one-liners, as if Anakin is a Dark Side James Bond, spouting zingers. That makes Anakin more of a insane, megalomaniacal villain instead of the more reluctant, even tragic, on-screen villain. Notice Anakin doesn't smile whenever he's slaughtering, unlike Palpatine who doesn't stop with the glee.

I like the film version better. If Lucas had included everything everyone wanted to see it would have been 3.5 hours long, like one of those butt-busting Peter Jackson movies where people are duped into thinking running time equals quality, (i.e. if they suffered that long through it, it has to be good!) Lucas always has been a good editor, chopping scenes to the heartwood.

Tangible God
If you're dissing LOTR, shame on you.

And I disagree about the Temple scene. It DID end to quickly. We go from a cool march up the stairs, to a birds-eye view of Jedi fighting clones, then we get Anakin scaring little children.

The film needed some more fighting even just as a more defined show of Anakin's fall. We're not talking half an hour here, just 30 seconds or so.

Alliance
TG's got it right. I never said it should be like the book or that he should talk...we just need to see it enogugh so its interesting. This isn't a side occourance, this is the symbol of the changing order in the galaxy.

you are right chinabing that time does not equal quality, but time equal coverage...Lucas is a great visual editor, but he often cuts too much for his own good to make his 2.5 hour ultimatum, regardless of the plot he is trying to cover.

chinabing
Well, it is of course a matter of taste, and I think we got enough of the Jedi killing. I'm surmising Lucas held back on it because he didn't want to take away from the Obi-Wan lightsaber battle at the climax. You know, Anakin already been in the Dooku battle, Obi-Wan's fighting Grievous w/a lightsaber, they just had the Mace-Palpatine-Anakin battle. Plus then they show Order 66. It just might be too much. Sometimes less is more... hence the suggestion of the Jedi kids being killed. So I believe ROTS showed Anakin falling plenty when he killed the younglings.

Maybe later in the super-de-dooper version Lucas will release with all the edited outtakes meshed back into the film, you'll see why it's good as it is. Face it, the DVD's deleted scenes aren't that great, I can see why they were cut. If they were included they really would have slowed the movie down, and it would have given the prequel-haters more fuel for their fire.

As for Peter Jackson, it's OT, but yes I do believe he could use an editor, a real editor, who will chop those flicks to the bone. I just sat through Kong and what a long, repetitive remake. Even thought the '76 version was a bit campy, it had some life in it. And I'm not a big LOTR fan because they're just too long, I lose interest.

Tangible God
Heh, the only reason I like LOTR is BECAUSE it's so long.

But w/e. It is a simple matter of taste, but from what I've heard, the majority of fan/critics say we should have seen a little more of the temple sequence. The march was cool, the overview was alright, the English younglings were O.K. as well. But to actually show Anakin's "new" Dark Side powers, a scary march and frightened children aren't enough.

And again, I don't want like 10 minutes, not even 50 seconds. Just about 30 would do, maybe less. Lots of twirls, flashes, bombastic/melodramatic music and plenty of Jedi being cut down would be adequate. And that COULD be fit into 30 seconds or less.

Alliance
Very little motivation is shown for Anakin actually falling to the darkside. He is confused in one scene, the next he's chopping off Mace's hand...

And I do think some of the deleted scenes were worth having in....the political ones were good because they actually showed that not all senators were twiddling their tumbs. its the formation of the ALLIANCE...how can you cut that? And the Yoda landing on Degobah was a nice transition.

Council#13
Whoa Alliance, sweet sig!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.