Best portrayal of the Devil in a movie

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Impediment
There have been many portrayals of The Devil/Lucifer/Satan over time, some better than others. What is your favorite? Why?

I say Jack Nicholson from The Witches of Eastwick because he's the guy that you hate to love, the loveable a$$hole who shows you a good time, indulges in sin, yet can be cruel, malicious, and downright evil.

Other noteable mentions go to:
Al Pacino- The Devil's Advocate
Viggo Mortensen- The Prophecy
Elizabeth Hurley- Bedazzled
Peter Stormare- Constantine
Tim Curry- Legend
Emmanuelle Seigner- The Ninth Gate
George Burns- Oh, God! You Devil
Billy Crystal- Deconstructing Harry

DarkWizard
To be very honest, I loved Pete in 'Constantine'. He had this sickening look to his face. Everytime he smiled it made me sick. He just seems so disturbing and he radiated evil in his role. I loved it.

I'm not exactly saying he's the best of all. Just that I enjoyed watching him more. The night before I saw 'Constantine' I saw 'Fargo'. And watching him transform from a Barbaric Mute to the lord of the underworld was very interesting.

Impediment
Yeah, I also LOVE Viggo's role in The Prophecy. He just oozed out evil mixed with suave/smug. It creeped me out when he ate Gabrielle's heart and groaned like some kinda animal.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
As a symbolic interpretation, Keyser Soze in 'The Usual Suspects' is pretty great.

BlackSunshine
Me personally I'd have to choose Al Pacino

Mišt
The dude in End of Days was alright..

SnakeEyes
^ That's what I was gonna say.

Mindship
Tim in Legend.
Pete in Constantine.
Liz in Bedazzled.

Wolfie
Harvey Keitel in Little Nicky

manticora
smile

Robert de Niro in "Angel Heart"

I hope you are not to young to know this movie? big grin

Bine

Ushgarak
Ahy yes, Angelheart... for those who thought Jacob's Ladder wasn't gloomy enough...

Myth
Does Adam Sandler count from Dirty Work?

"First we we eat the pig, then we burn together!.... Burn!"

Red Superfly
I thought The Emperor in Star Wars was a good interpretation/representation of the devil.

Myth
I think they are just looking for people actually playing as the devil.

AstroFan
If we are going by how much i enjoyed the performance, I must say Elizabeth Hurley. stick out tongue

StinkFist462
Harvey Keitel - Little Nicky
Al Pacino - Devil's Advocate

Myth
How about Spawn? sick

DiamondBullets
Linda Blair- The Exorcist

Wolfie
Originally posted by Myth
How about Spawn? sick
That was Malbogia in Spawn.

Deano
chap from 'needful things'

T.M

Lord Sauron
I've got to give it to Al Pacino in 'The Devil's Advocate' as giving the best portrayal of the Devil in a movie. I absolutely love his charm, his speeches, and his attitude of, "Why? ... Why not?".

Also, this quote sums it up:

"John Milton: Let me give you a little inside information about God. God likes to watch. He's a prankster. Think about it. He gives man instincts. He gives you this extraordinary gift, and then what does He do, I swear for His own amusement, his own private, cosmic gag reel, He sets the rules in opposition. It's the goof of all time. Look but don't touch. Touch, but don't taste. Taste, don't swallow. Ahaha. And while you're jumpin' from one foot to the next, what is he doing? He's laughin' His sick, ****in' ass off. He's a tight-ass. He's a sadist. He's an absentee landlord. Worship that? Never."

...simply awesome.

Revernd Maynard
hands down

Al Pacino- The Devil's Advocate

Impediment
Allow me to further describe why I chose Nicholson from Witches of Eastwick as the best: He's funny, charming, deceptive, cunning, manipulative, vulgar, witty, romantic, suave, and a downright b@stard. These, IMO, are all the traits of Lucifer, a.k.a. "deciever" of good and such. The Devil isn't just some ultimate villain that thrives on the destruction of good............he's also the guy who just downright loves sin. I think that might be my own problem, as well. I love sin to much to be a christian. stick out tongue

rox
gabriel burne in "end of days"

Inspectah Deck
I liked that guy who played Lucifer in Constantine

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Deano
chap from 'needful things'

Max von Sydow

I'd have to say I agree. And Jack Nicholson's portrayal was good, despite me not really liking the movie. But if you really study the devil in the biblical sense, he's a seducer. It's only since Dante that he's become a tormenting demon with horns.

Madacapa
The guy who played the Devil in Rosemary's Baby... evil face

BoyScoutKevin
Here's one that hasn't been mentioned yet. Vincent Price in "The Story of Mankind." And he has two moments in the film, that always have me LOL! Once, when confronted by the Bible, and then again, when describing Sir Walter Raleigh's fate.

wonner
I'm gonna say that it is Elizabeth Hurley in Bedazzled (she's passionate and tricky)... So now come on laugh at me Happy Dance laughing Happy Dance laughing Happy Dance laughing

maddani
the god damn devil from "legend."

amity75
Jimmy Page in "The Song Remains The Same".

Lörd Sorgo
Nothing like Rosalinda Celentano's role as Lucifer in The Passion of the Christ.

"Do you really believe that one man can bear the full burden of sin? "

"Saving their souls is too costly."

http://press.creighton.edu/022704/images/022704/Satan.jpg

My favorite Devil yet!

Storm
Al Pacino in The Devil' s Advocate.
Peter Stormare in Constantine.

wonner
Originally posted by Antediluvian
Nothing like Rosalinda Celentano's role as Lucifer in The Passion of the Christ.

My favorite Devil yet!

Oh, yeah. WHow could i forget her Happy Dance

Impediment
Rosalinda Celentano had a certain kind of presence onscreen as Lucifer, I'll admit, but her role, IMO, was too brief to be really effective.

Kaiju
I have to go with Viggo Mortensen from The Prophecy. He just played him as restrained but ready to tear the humans apart the first time they made a mistake. I've watch this movie because seeing Viggo Mortensen and Christopher Walken chew up the scenery is great fun.

The scene where he's covered in blood and trying to tempt Virgina Madsen's character is great stuff. "I love you...I love you more than Jesus." I've watch this movie because seeing Viggo Mortensen and Christopher Walken chew up the scenery is great fun.

All of his dialouge in the movie was great but here are some of my favorites:

"Little Tommy Daggett. How I loved listening to your sweet prayers. Then you would hop into bed, afraid that I was hiding under it.... And I was!"

"I can lay you out and fill your mouth with your mother's feces or...we can talk. "

"God? God is love....I don't love you."

"Y'see, I'm not here to help you and the little ***** because I love you or because I care for you, but because two hells is one hell too many, and I can't have that."

Thomas Daggett: I have my soul. I have my faith. What do you have, angel?
Lucifer: Leave the light on, Thomas.

My second pick would be Robert DeNiro as Louis Cypher from Angel Heart. The way he manipulated and played Mickey Rourke was a thing of beauty.

Pandemoniac
Despite the short screen-time, and because how he used that short time: Peter Stormare in Constantine.
I think he displayed more of the devil's sadism and sarcasm than Pacino did in most of The devils Advocate.

Lord Shadow Z
I got to also go with the Devil in Constantine- he doesn't have long but puts in a good performance, offbeat, yet believable.

Murray
Originally posted by Antediluvian

My favorite Devil yet!

You TOTALLY stole mine!!!!!!!!!

That was so amazing and creepy, and I couldn't tell if it was a man or a woman.

And of course you have to respect Al Pacino.

lacosanostra
Al Pacino in "Devil's Advocate" ofcourse!!!

latest views n news on hollywood: http//omer.blog.ac

office jesus
Originally posted by AstroFan
If we are going by how much i enjoyed the performance, I must say Elizabeth Hurley. stick out tongue

I second that. The Devil is a woman in a Red Dress. xD.

Impediment
Bump.

Let's hear what some of the new blood has to say.

I still stand by my original choice of Jack Nicholson.

I bumped this this because I just watched The Witches of Eastwick and felt obliged to.

BruceSkywalker
Robert De Niro in Angel Heart and Al Pacino in The Devil's Advocate are my top favesl

=Tired Hiker=
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m168/TiredHiker/fulldarkness.jpg

jinXed by JaNx
I Like the devil from Reaper a lot but as far as movie performances, hmm. This is a very hard call. It isn't a hard decision because there are so many good performances to choose from but rather because every actor portrays the devil in the same way. My favorites are

Devils advocate--Pacino
witches of eastwick--Nicholson
needful things--max von sydow
Legend- Tim curry
Ninth Gate--Emmanelle seigner
Angel Heart--Rob Deniro
Bedazzled- Elizabeth Hurley
Prophecy--Viggo

Pacino comes close to being my favorite but like Jack Nicholsons performance in Witches of Eastwick. I don't see Pacino playing the devil but rather playing himself or atleast the same character that he plays in every movie.

The performance that is the most fun to watch to me is Hurley in Bedazzled and not just because she is so beautiful but because she seems to be having so much fun playing the devil

Ok, as far as my favorite on screen devil performance. Well, it's a tie between Deniro as Louis Cypher in Angel Heart and Emmanuelle seigner as the girl in The Ninth Gate. Although, it's debatable whether or not Emmanuelle was in fact the devil or just a demon. She rarely spoke and was constantly shrouded in mystery just the way the devil should be. this is also why i like Deniros performance in Angel HEart. Whether or not you realized he was the devil at the beginning he has little to do with the movie but when he is on screen he dominates all of your attention. Viggo and Curry were close seconds.

Sadako of Girth
The devil as portrayed in by Dave Grohl in "Tenacious D: the pick of destiny".

He f***in' jams and is fully capable of playing as the devil should.

The character Sydow played was 'Leland Gaunt', btw.
Who was actually way nastier/creepier in the book, than the film.

The Grey Fox
Gabriel Byrne from End of Days for the most Christian view of Satan, in his full evil and whatnot, but for the most rounded performance, I'll have to agree with Impediment on Nicholson from Witches of Eastwick, since he's not shown to be a completely evil being, and is more relatable to. But then, Nicholson is my favourite actor, so maybe I'm being biased.

Either way, those two are my 2 favourites.

ThunderGodEneru
Al Pacino.

Sado22
Kazuya Mishima shifty

Bloinky
Originally posted by rox
gabriel burne in "end of days"

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
The devil as portrayed in by Dave Grohl in "Tenacious D: the pick of destiny".

He f***in' jams and is fully capable of playing as the devil should.

The character Sydow played was 'Leland Gaunt', btw.
Who was actually way nastier/creepier in the book, than the film.

very honorable mention sir laughing out loud The devil rocked his balls off there

yeah, i know i just didn't think people would be hip to Needful Things because it is a rather boring movie.

jinXed by JaNx
really, you people do realize that End of Days is one of the worst movie's ever made, right? You all need to stop giving that piece of shit movie any kind of credit. Other than it's piss poor script which actually turned out to be the most entertaining thing about the movie in the most, unintentional of ways, the movie was a complete shit fest

dadudemon
Peter Stormare- Constantine He is just...so good. I lurved it. yes

siriuswriter
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx

Ok, as far as my favorite on screen devil performance. Well, it's a tie between Deniro as Louis Cypher in Angel Heart and Emmanuelle seigner as the girl in The Ninth Gate. Although, it's debatable whether or not Emmanuelle was in fact the devil or just a demon. She rarely spoke and was constantly shrouded in mystery just the way the devil should be.

I think that Emmanuelle was supposed to be the Whore of Babylon, which is why she could lead Johnny Depp's character to the ninth gate.

Anyway, my favorite portrayal of the devil is definitely Elizabeth Hurley in Bedazzled. I think one of my favorite things about that movie is that when she's being the substitute teacher... and the little schoolgirl outfit with the plaid mini skirt was brought from her own closet.

big grin

Darth Vicious
Originally posted by Lord Sauron
I've got to give it to Al Pacino in 'The Devil's Advocate' as giving the best portrayal of the Devil in a movie. I absolutely love his charm, his speeches, and his attitude of, "Why? ... Why not?".

Also, this quote sums it up:

"John Milton: Let me give you a little inside information about God. God likes to watch. He's a prankster. Think about it. He gives man instincts. He gives you this extraordinary gift, and then what does He do, I swear for His own amusement, his own private, cosmic gag reel, He sets the rules in opposition. It's the goof of all time. Look but don't touch. Touch, but don't taste. Taste, don't swallow. Ahaha. And while you're jumpin' from one foot to the next, what is he doing? He's laughin' His sick, ****in' ass off. He's a tight-ass. He's a sadist. He's an absentee landlord. Worship that? Never."

...simply awesome.

Thats my pick as well and that quote stood out as soon as I heard it. Brilliant!

Sadako of Girth
But then you dont have to be the devil to have that view of god either.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by siriuswriter
I think that Emmanuelle was supposed to be the Whore of Babylon, which is why she could lead Johnny Depp's character to the ninth gate.

Anyway, my favorite portrayal of the devil is definitely Elizabeth Hurley in Bedazzled. I think one of my favorite things about that movie is that when she's being the substitute teacher... and the little schoolgirl outfit with the plaid mini skirt was brought from her own closet.

big grin

holy crapsicle, i didn't even acknowledge that. eek!

Man, you're soo smart. I've seen that movie at least twelve god damned times and i always seem to drift away after the reveal of the twins. I always feel as though im dancing with the devil when i watch one of polanski's devil movies. I think the dude sold his soul. Oh well, but yeah Hurley was something else. Watching that movie is always a constricting experience for me wink

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
very honorable mention sir laughing out loud The devil rocked his balls off there

yeah, i know i just didn't think people would be hip to Needful Things because it is a rather boring movie.

Whythankyousir.
He nearly rocked worse than just balls off of poor old Cage....for alllllllllllll eternity. stick out tongue

Yeah For real. Ed Harris, Bonnie Bedelia and Max Von Sydow would normally be a seal of quality in the hands of a better director/screenplay writer. I meant nothing by nasty by pointing the name out, sorry if it seemed to be all up in your ass. smile

Vinny Valentine
Al Pacino

H. S. 6
That broad from Bedazzled.

God, that was a good movie.

Sado22
Peter Stormare in Constantine was awesome.
"sonny, i gotta whole THEME PARK for you!" laughing out loud

Strangelove
Pacino in the Devil's Advocate
Stormare in Constantine

celestialdemon
Bill Cosby in The Devil and Max Devlin! hysterical

Seriously, I would go with Al Pacino in The Devil's Advocate because of his charm and Viggo Mortensen in The Prophecy for the controlled but deep-seeded evil he displayed.

DeVuL
Peter Stormare gets my vote... he just makes my skin crawl when I see that flick, honestly, he's one of the only reasons I see that flick... happy

UKR
It's not really a movie, but I think a good (if you'll pardon the pun) depiction of Satan was in an 80s claymation cartoon, "The Adventures of Mark Twain". There's a part where the kids on the airship spaceship thingy go into this dimension and there's this guy there...kind of hard to explain, but it was clever both for its originality and for the fact that they didn't make the Devil seem human at all in any way. He was completely alien and the fact that he actually described himself as an angel when he first met Tom and Huck was very clever dialogue writing because Satan being an angel, called an angel, or describing himself as an angel isn't what you'd expect even though it's what the Bible says.

botankus
Satan in South Park

m.ramius
Originally posted by H. S. 6
That broad from Bedazzled.

God, that was a good movie.

Oh god...she is so freakin hot in that movie. Seriously.

Good call!

scrambledeggs
Al Pacino, hands down. I love the speech at the end that he gave to Keeau.

FistOfThe North
That hooded asexual phantom being in "the passion of the Christ" that only Jesus saw was, imo, the best portrayal of the Devil in a movie, hands down.

His or her mannerisms were just purely erie and almost snake-like as if moving carefully slow yet ready to strike all of a sudden and with all it's evil might. It's taunts we just poetically hellish.

One profound part was when it softly yet evilly whispered this to a floored and crying jesus, in Arameic..(and i'm paraphrasing)

"free yourself..let go..for no man can withstand such a burden like that..no one...no man....nobody....... not ever..."

tom_servo
Originally posted by @stroFan

As much as I hate myself for admitting it, I rather enjoyed that interpretation as well. Mostly for Elizabeth herself.

AC/DC'S_LVR
Tim Curry~Legend

a good Satan in my opinon would be Serj Tankian from SOADaweevil2

six6six
Here's a couple that top MY list...

from the movie: LEGEND
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/smstevenms/Forum%20Uploads/legend.jpg

from the movie: CONSTANTINE
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m274/AnotherBob62/PSSatan.jpg

from the movie: DEVIL'S ADVOCATE
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c306/spazzru/pacino-devils.jpg

jinXed by JaNx
Deniro- angel Heart
Elizabeth Hurley -Bedazzled
Pacino- Devils advocate

JamesMan69
Deniro- angel Heart

/thread

ThunderGodEneru
A thread very similar to this has actually already been made.

But my personal favorite I can think of was Al Pacino's portrayal of Lucifer in Devil's Advocate.

CATMANEXE
Tim Curry~Legend

concur.

six6six
ak3z2Pm7Iwg

six6six
DAVE GROHL WAS A COOL SATAN AS WELL....

6Gz8ZneAFbw

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
That hooded asexual phantom being in "the passion of the Christ" that only Jesus saw was, imo, the best portrayal of the Devil in a movie, hands down.

His or her mannerisms were just purely erie and almost snake-like as if moving carefully slow yet ready to strike all of a sudden and with all it's evil might. It's taunts we just poetically hellish.

One profound part was when it softly yet evilly whispered this to a floored and crying jesus, in Arameic..(and i'm paraphrasing)

"free yourself..let go..for no man can withstand such a burden like that..no one...no man....nobody....... not ever..." excellent choice.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.