Oscar Best Pictures that should have been

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DarkWizard
Ever watched the AA's, and gotten really pissed off because your flick didn't take the Oscar of all Oscars home? List and explain.

IMO.

- Saving Private Ryan Should have snatched the Best Picture in '99.

- 'The Green Mile' instead of 'American Beauty'? Although I was satisfied, I would have felt the same if TGM won. Same goes for 'The Sixth Sense'.

- I was satisfied with 'Gladiator'. But now that I look back, Requiem for a Dream was the more powerful film. But, Experimental films aren't picked up much in the AA.

Yourself?

fini
hmm i got to go and look at noms and see

but I 100% agree with Saving private ryan and Green mile. Amazing films, simply amazing.

BackFire
1957: Paths of Glory: Too my surprise not even nominated, one of the best films ever made.

1964: Dr. Strangelove

1971: Clockwork Orange

1976: Taxi Driver: Mind boggling that the simple and generic story of Rocky beat out this unique and infinitely important film with a message and theme that will never grow dated.

1977: Star Wars

1980: Elephant Man

1990: Goodfellas

94: Shawshank Redemption: Though I love Forrest Gump and Pulp Fiction, Shawshank is better then both of these films in ever conceivable way. An absolutely gorgeous story and beautiful film that will grow to be one of the greatest classics of all time.

97: As Good as it Gets or LA Confidential: Both are better then Titanic, by miles.

98: Life is Beautiful (This was the year Saving Private Ryan was nominated, btw).

2000: Any of the other nominees should have won instead of Gladiator: Traffic, CTHD, ect. Though, my favorite film of that year was Requiem for a Dream. Gladiator was the biggest mistake the Academy ever made, a very generic film, it was.

2001: In The Bedroom or LOTR

2002: The Pianist or LOTR

2004: Sideways

DarkWizard
Originally posted by BackFire

98: Life is Beautiful (This was the year Saving Private Ryan was nominated, btw).

http://www.eonline.com/Features/Awards/Oscars99/Scorecard/index3.html

I could swear it was 99.

EDIT: oh I see, you are speaking of when the film was released. Not when the awards were held....right?

BackFire
http://www.filmsite.org/oscars90.html

Saving Private Ryan was a year after Titanic, which was 97

99 was American Beauty which wasn't nominated against SPR, which was the year before Gladiator, and that was 2000.

yeah, I'm going by the year they were made.

Like, this years Academy Awards was for 2005, even though it was held in 2006, it's for the prior year, more or less.

DarkWizard
Understood. yes

DeVi| D0do
2000: Any of the other nominees should have won instead of Gladiator: Traffic, CTHD, ect. Though, my favorite film of that year was Requiem for a Dream. Gladiator was the biggest mistake the Academy ever made, a very generic film, it was.
Good call. This was the year I stopped watching and caring about the awards...

Solo
Are we putting all of the films that WERE nominated and didn't win? Because if we aren't then here's my list of movies that should of won in the following years:

1971: A Clockwork Orange
1986: BLUE VELVET (What the hell was the Academy thinking? It was a ****ing masterpiece.)
1994: PULP FICTION
1996: Trainspotting
1998: Rushmore
2000: Requiem for a Dream
2001: Donnie Darko
2002: Adaptation
2003: Lost in Translation
2004: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Wolfie
2001: In The Bedroom or LOTR
In the Bedroom was good but I think A Beautiful Mind deserved it in '01.

DarkWizard
Originally posted by Solo
Are we putting all of the films that WERE nominated and didn't win?

Nope, just pick whatever.

1986: BLUE VELVET (What the hell was the Academy thinking? It was a ****ing masterpiece.)

Better than 'Platoon'? If so, I should buy it now.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
1971: A Clockwork Orange
1994: PULP FICTION
1996: Trainspotting
1998: Rushmore
2000: Requiem for a Dream
2001: Donnie Darko
2002: Adaptation
2003: Lost in Translation
2004: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Wishful thinking, but wonderful choices. I'd agree with nearly everyone of those. Out of the years you choose, the toughest choice for me would be 1994; I love 'Pulp Fiction', but 'The Shawshank Redemption' is also cinematically supreme. 'Pulp Fiction' gets my appreciation of cool, but 'Shawshank' beats it on heart and soul. It's a tough choice, so I'll sit on this spiky fence.

Additional mention:

1990 should have been 'Goodfellas', 2001 should have been 'LOTR' ('A Beautiful Mind' is a pile of shit!), same goes for 2002 (this time regarding 'Chicago'), 1981 should have been 'Raiders of the Lost Ark', and that's about all I can think of.

Kaleanae
2005 - Brokeback Mountain
1994 - pulp fiction
1998- Life is Beautiful
1989- Born on the Fourth of July
2002 - all the Nominees could have won BUT Chicago

Solo
Originally posted by DarkWizard
Better than 'Platoon'? If so, I should buy it now.
I sure think so.

Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
I love 'Pulp Fiction', but 'The Shawshank Redemption' is also cinematically supreme. 'Pulp Fiction' gets my appreciation of cool, but 'Shawshank' beats it on heart and soul. It's a tough choice, so I'll sit on this spiky fence.
I agree, it's a very hard choice to make. I love them both very much, but "Pulp Fiction" has been a long time favourite.
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
2001 should have been 'LOTR' ('A Beautiful Mind' is a pile of shit!)
I agree with that, completely forgot about LOTR.

Also agree with your statement on 2002 regarding "Chicago".

Cinemaddiction
2005, "Brokeback Mountain". "Crash" was great, but I think there was a lot of social precautions taken with the voting. Whereas "the gay cowboy movie" probably should have won, they took the "social awareness" angle with "Crash" which preaches acceptance and repercussions of our wrong actions, which was the safe route.

A movie wins for best score, best screenplay, and best director, which is THE MOVIE MINUS THE ACTORS..and fails to win best picture? Ok, Hollywood.

..and a big "****, no" to "Lost In Translation". Nothing Oscar worthy there, IMO. Sofia Coppola is a one hit wonder.

Jarshewa
i think goodfellas,who one instead of goodfellas that year

wonner
I'd vote for Clockwork Orange & Shawshank Redemption

botankus
Great choices, BF.

T.M
Originally posted by Jarshewa

Dances with Wolves won best picture that year.

DarkWizard
Originally posted by Jarshewa

Yeah, Both good, but 'Goofellas' is better. stick out tongue

T.M
Good Will Hunting should have won in 1998 IMO... I thought it was much better than Titanic.

DarkWizard
Originally posted by T.M
Good Will Hunting should have won in 1998 IMO... I thought it was much better than Titanic.

I'd personally choose 'L.A. Confidential' OR 'Jackie Brown'.

T.M
Jackie Brown wasn't moninated for best picture though stick out tongue

(on a side note love your sigsmile)

I also think E.T should have won Best Picture in.. '83. Instead if Gandhi

DarkWizard
Originally posted by T.M
Jackie Brown wasn't moninated for best picture though stick out tongue

I'm just pointing out, basically any movie made that year. whistle

T.M
Originally posted by DarkWizard
I'm just pointing out, basically any movie made that year. whistle

Ohh OK. big grin

SnakeEyes
Bump.

With Oscars coming up I decided to bump this.

BackFire
Little Miss Sunshine shoulda won last year.

regina414
I prefer Brokeback Mountain over Crash for the 2005 Oscar Best Picture.

Röland
Originally posted by regina414
I prefer Brokeback Mountain over Crash for the 2005 Oscar Best Picture.
Same.

Crash just seemed so simplistic and had only a couple powerful scenes.
(in my opinion)

Rapscallion
2006- Children of Men or Pan's Labyrinth
2002- City of God
2001- The Fellowship of the Ring
2000- Momento (Gladiator was awful!!)
1998- Saving Private Ryan (Life is Beautiful is close second though)
1997- LA Confidential
1995- Heat (Babe is close second!!)
1994- Pulp Fiction
1991- JFK
1990- Goodfellas
1982- ET
1981- Raiders of the Lost Arc
1980- Raging Bull
1979- Apocalypse Now (the academy really screwed up 2 years in a row)
1977- Star Wars
1976- Taxi Driver
1964- Dr. Strangelove
1960- Spartacus
1957- Paths of Glory

SnakeEyes
Man, there's so much Gladiator hate on this forum.

It's one of my favorite films.

celestialdemon
I'll just keep it to the '90s and after.

96: Fargo
97: L.A. Confidential
98: Saving Private Ryan
00: Traffic
01: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
02: City of God
04: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
05: A History of Violence

Cap'n Happy
I went back and looked at the history of the Academy Awards, looked at who was nominated, and who won. I could argue with many of the choices, but I limited my self to only those years when I think they got it REALLY WRONG.

1937- The Life of Emile Zola. Over Captains Courageous? A generic bio pic over one of the great screen adventures? Nope.

38- You Can't Take it With You. Should have gone to Robin Hood.

52- The Greatest Show on Earth. Should have gone to the charming and wonderfully filmed The Quiet Man.

64- My Fair Lady... over Doctor Strangelove? One of the WORST calls ever (and that's saying something for the Oscars).

77- Annie Hall- over Star Wars. Annie Hall was a great movie, but Star Wars transformed the industry (not always for the good, I'll admit) and was a revolution in special effects. Shoulda gone to 'Wars.

79- Kramer vs Kramer, a low key movie that today would debut on the Lifetime network, over Apocalypse Now? Bad, bad call.

80- Ordinary People, over Raging Bull? Jesus, a two year in a row crap-a-thon.

85- Out of Africa. Should have gone to Witness.

90- Dances with Wolves (a good movie) over Goodfellas? Really? Why does the Academy hate Scorsese?

96- The English Patient- an overrated yawn fest. Should have gone to either Fargo, or Jerry Maguire.

98- Shakespeare in Love. It was ok- nicely filmed, witty, well cast... but over Savining Private Ryan? No.

2005- Crash. Kinda overrated. Brokeback or Munich were better.

This year, I'd go with either No Country for Old Men, or There Will be Blood- the best of the lot.

regina414
I was really disappointed when Crash beat Brokeback Mountain.

DarthLazious
So was I.

I thought Crash was a piece of crap but I loved Brokeback Mountian or Munich.

I also wished Side Ways should have gotten the Best Picture Oscar in 2004 instead of Clint Eastwood's Million Doller Baby which was one of the worst flims I have seen in my life time.

regina414
Talk about those homophobic Oscar judges.

MildPossession
I didn't find either particulary amazing, especially for winning, I can't even remember what else was up for Best Film that year...

celestialdemon
Originally posted by MildPossession
I didn't find either particulary amazing, especially for winning, I can't even remember what else was up for Best Film that year...

Good Night and Good Luck, Capote, and Munich. I personally thought Good Night and Munich were better than Crash and Brokeback Mountain.

MildPossession
ah thank you, I agree with you there, I would rather have seen Good Night, or Capote win the award. I wasn't keen on Munich.

SnakeEyes
Found this article interesting and relevant to this topic: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/files/2008/10/like-life-the-o.html

Ax3l
I prefer Ordinary People to Raging Bull.

bakerboy
1965: doctor zhivago in stead of the sound of music.

Robtard
What nonsense.

CaD9Ozdthg8

"Pwned!"

bakerboy
What a nonsense??? If you are searching for nonsense , go and take a look to the mirror.

Robtard
Originally posted by bakerboy
What a nonsense??? If you are searching for nonsense , go and take a look to the mirror.

"I am job?"

MildPossession
Sound of Music rules!!

Toku King
Zhivago>>>>>>Sound Of Music

SnakeEyes
I must admit, I hate The Sound of Music. Then again, I'm not a fan of musicals in general.

bakerboy
Doctor Zhivago is way, way superior to the sound of music, that is a movie that i love and a great musical, but zhivago is by far the superior movie in all the aspects.

moviefanatic04
Home Alone is a classic. It can't get much better than that. There's this cool application where you can insert a picture of you or friends in the movie haha kinda cool check it out:

http://www.mymoviemoment.com/

and don't worry its not spam just kinda cool enjoy!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.