religion bashing

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Blue nocturne
Why do certian people bash on religion so much, what makes them feel that there beliefs are any better?

Bardock42
Originally posted by Blue nocturne
Why do certian people bash on religion so much, what makes them feel that there beliefs are any better?

Arrogance.

Blue nocturne
Originally posted by Bardock42
Arrogance.

I think some people are just full of themselves.

Shakyamunison
Because of discrimination toward nonbelievers and unfair tactics used by some Christians. I have been told by christians that because I am a Buddhist I am going to hell, but if I tell them that their belief is false, they get mad.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Because of discrimination toward nonbelievers and unfair tactics used by some Christians. I have been told by christians that because I am a Buddhist I am going to hell, but if I tell them that their belief is false, they get mad.

It's not only Christians...atheist s on here are just as bad....

Blue nocturne

Christian scriptures tell them too.

Shakyamunison

To get mad?

Blue nocturne

I can testify to that, especially when debating them.

Storm

Bardock42

Shakyamunison

I agree, however, I don't think there are many atheists that will die for their beliefs or kill you because you believe differently.

Blue nocturne
I agree, however, I don't think there are many atheists that will die for their beliefs or kill you because you believe differently.

They will however curse up a storm.

Shakyamunison
They will however curse up a storm.

I would rather be cursed at then be killed, but I know what you mean and I wish some people had more self respect.

Bardock42

I also don't think there are many Christins, Muslims, Buddhists, Jews, Hindust that will die for their beliefs or kill you because you believe differently

Black Rob
Why do certian people bash on religion so much, what makes them feel that there beliefs are any better? Most people think that just because they believe one thing,everything else is just stupid. It goes both ways.Just like how some people reject certain scientific theories simply because they have holes. wink

debbiejo
I don't bash anyone. I just state the facts as I see them........

Bardock42
Originally posted by debbiejo
I don't bash anyone. I just state the facts as I see them........

Hilarious..."the facts as I see them"

debbiejo
Hilarious..."the facts as I see them" Yeah, as I see them..........I do research things ya know. I don't believe blindly. That would be stupid and jeopardize my eternal soul... eek!

Black Rob
Christian scriptures tell them too. Not really,it's just that everyone interprets religious rules differently,so it can mean almost anything to anybody.To some,the bible condones bashing of other religions,whereas others can say the exact opposite.

soleran30
Hilarious..."the facts as I see them"

You know what thats the closest thing to the truth which has been expressed on 2/3's of these threads. wink

Bardock42
Originally posted by soleran30
You know what thats the closest thing to the truth which has been expressed on 2/3's of these threads. wink

Oh yeah, it makes some sense as well...it's just funny...

debbiejo
Hey, your soul is nothing to play around with since it's eternal.........ya gotta be sure ya know......

Cause eventually this is gonna happen --------> rip

laughing out loud

JacopeX
Why do certian people bash on religion so much, what makes them feel that there beliefs are any better? The ones that dont belive in god bash on the christian/catholics. Why wont they jus let us belive in wut we want, they seem like they dont know better

Bardock42
Hey, your soul is nothing to play around with since it's eternal.........ya gotta be sure ya know......

Cause eventually this is gonna happen --------> rip

laughing out loud

Wait, where did you get theat Soul business from? What "fact" do you base that on?

soleran30
Originally posted by JacopeX
The ones that dont belive in god bash on the christian/catholics. Why wont they jus let us belive in wut we want, they seem like they dont know better

Hmm how about when the christians/catholics pour crazy hateraide into the drinking fountains and they go after everyone which isn't christian heck the muslims already drank the hateraide in their part of the world (big generalization there though same with Christians just an illustration.)

debbiejo
Wait, where did you get theat Soul business from? What "fact" do you base that on? You know!! The energy inside us and all around us..........It's everywhere, I told you that like a million times... eek!

If I based my whole essence on what the bible said only, without really checking it out, I'd be worried about hell too...........but there IS NO HELL...........We all go back to where ever we came from...

Blue nocturne
Wait, where did you get theat Soul business from? What "fact" do you base that on?

It's a theory, somethhing being a theory has never stop people from beliveing in it.

Bardock42
You know!! The energy inside us and all around us..........It's everywhere, I told you that like a million times... eek!

If I based my whole essence on what the bible said only, without really checking it out, I'd be worried about hell too...........but there IS NO HELL...........We all go back to where ever we came from...

I was asking for the "soul" not the "energy" ...so, why do you (after claiming that we are all made of the same energy anyways) still believe in a "soul" ...you are very contradictionary.

debbiejo
I was asking for the "soul" not the "energy" ...so, why do you (after claiming that we are all made of the same energy anyways) still believe in a "soul" ...you are very contradictionary. Maybe wrong wording because some refer to it as a soul or spirit or energy or source.....Just the wording as all...........The essence of what we are.

Bardock42
Maybe wrong wording because some refer to it as a soul or spirit or energy or source.....Just the wording as all...........The essence of what we are.

Atoms?

debbiejo
Yeah.......but smaller sub atomic particles, photons, and maybe even smaller then that, who knows.

Bardock42
Yeah.......but smaller sub atomic particles, photons, and maybe even smaller then that, who knows.

Atoms are not made up of Photons though, are they?

Blue nocturne

ether drift.

Bardock42
Quantum Foam....

Black Rob
It's a theory, somethhing being a theory has never stop people from beliveing in it. Yes because theories are never tested obviously

debbiejo
The photon can be perceived as a wave or a particle, depending on how it is measuredThe photon is one of the elementary particles. Its interactions with electrons and atomic nuclei account for a great many of the features of matter, such as the existence and stability of atoms, molecules, and solids. These interactions are studied in quantum electrodynamics (QED), which is the oldest part of the Standard Model of particle physics.

In some respects a photon acts as a particle, for instance when registered by the light sensitive device in a camera. In other respects, a photon acts like a wave, as when passing through the optics in a camera. According to the so-called wave-particle duality in quantum physics, it is natural for the photon to display either aspect of its nature, according to the circumstances. Normally, light is formed from a large number of photons, with the intensity related to the number of them. At low intensity, it requires very sensitive instruments, used in astronomy or spectroscopy, for instance, to detect the individual photons.

Blue nocturne
Originally posted by Black Rob
Yes because theories are never tested obviously

Not really some theories stay theories because the lack of solid evidence.

Bardock42
The photon can be perceived as a wave or a particle, depending on how it is measuredThe photon is one of the elementary particles. Its interactions with electrons and atomic nuclei account for a great many of the features of matter, such as the existence and stability of atoms, molecules, and solids. These interactions are studied in quantum electrodynamics (QED), which is the oldest part of the Standard Model of particle physics.

In some respects a photon acts as a particle, for instance when registered by the light sensitive device in a camera. In other respects, a photon acts like a wave, as when passing through the optics in a camera. According to the so-called wave-particle duality in quantum physics, it is natural for the photon to display either aspect of its nature, according to the circumstances. Normally, light is formed from a large number of photons, with the intensity related to the number of them. At low intensity, it requires very sensitive instruments, used in astronomy or spectroscopy, for instance, to detect the individual photons.
Yes...not everything is made up of Photons though....

debbiejo
What isn't?

Bardock42
What isn't?

Hmm....most things...Atoms for example.

debbiejo
Its interactions with electrons and atomic nuclei account for a great many of the features of matter, such as the existence and stability of atoms, molecules, and solids.............They interact together...........Still living stuff............

Blue nocturne
Well in order for something to be alive they have to fit a biological classification.

Bardock42
Its interactions with electrons and atomic nuclei account for a great many of the features of matter, such as the existence and stability of atoms, molecules, and solids.............They interact together...........Still living stuff............

Err...where did you get that from?

And how the hell are they living? They aren't....they just factual biological are not living....

Blue nocturne
Err...where did you get that from?

And how the hell are they living? They aren't....they just factual biological are not living....

Well according to evolutionary science inanimate objects produce life, so yeah deb is right according to science

Bardock42
Well according to evolutionary science inanimate objects produce life, so yeah deb is right according to science

Not really. Live is defined very exact, and just because inanimate objects can produce life doesn't mean that inanimate objects have life.

Blue nocturne
Not really. Live is defined very exact, and just because inanimate objects can produce life doesn't mean that inanimate objects have life.

Then if they don't have life how do they produce it???

Bardock42
Then if they don't have life how do they produce it???

Because live is nothing special?

Shakyamunison

Then what's the big deal?

Bardock42
Then what's the big deal?
The Big Deal with what?

Shakyamunison
The Big Deal with what?

Bardock42

You make no sense, there is no Big Deal with it...that's what I said....

MC Mike
Why is religion bashed?

Simple. What has proven to be, over the majority of the course of history, the number one cause of war, prejudice, hatred, and killing?

Religion.

Get rid of that, and you won't get rid of war totally BUT you sure as hell will eliminate an immense percentile.

Mindship
I imagine that some people also feel a great sense of betrayal...a POV which they thought explained the world is later discovered to be, well, not so perfect or wonderful.

Shakyamunison
You make no sense, there is no Big Deal with it...that's what I said....

It's not a big deal.

Bardock42
It's not a big deal.

Exactly,...

WrathfulDwarf

There is a difference between bashing and questioning a religion. Unfortunally somewhere down the line the whole thing got bonded. I try not to take things very seriously. And even find some humor in it. However when the bashing gets waaaay out of hand I think there are two possible categories:

1. The person who constanly bashes a religion is either unhappy about themselves or rebels agaisn't his former beliefs, holds a grudge, posess an inner hatred of himself, or had a bad experience with the religion or the members.

2. Basically a friggin Idiot looking for attention.

The superiority complex is somewhere hidden. But of course they won't admit to that....have you ever talk to an Alcoholic during intoxication? Of course they'll deny it. Well, is pretty much the same.

botankus
Anyone here offended by Satanism-bashing?

debbiejo
HAHAHAHAHAHA.........never heard anyone ever doing it........except Christians of course..

botankus
To quote Stryper.....ahem....

"To Helllllllll With The Devil!!"

JacopeX
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
There is a difference between bashing and questioning a religion. Unfortunally somewhere down the line the whole thing got bonded. I try not to take things very seriously. And even find some humor in it. However when the bashing gets waaaay out of hand I think there are two possible categories:

1. The person who constanly bashes a religion is either unhappy about themselves or rebels agaisn't his former beliefs, holds a grudge, posess an inner hatred of himself, or had a bad experience with the religion or the members.

2. Basically a friggin Idiot looking for attention.

The superiority complex is somewhere hidden. But of course they won't admit to that....have you ever talk to an Alcoholic during intoxication? Of course they'll deny it. Well, is pretty much the same. I see most as number 2 stick out tongue

DiamondBullets
Originally posted by Black Rob
Most people think that just because they believe one thing,everything else is just stupid. It goes both ways.Just like how some people reject certain scientific theories simply because they have holes. wink

In the Hawaiian religion, we are truly and completely open-minded. When the Brits conquered Hawai'i they outlawed surfing because it was done in minimal clothing and it was pagan.

debbiejo
Yeah, I've read about that.

Impediment
Respect is very important, I believe. I'm an atheist and I never tell people that my beliefs are right, and theirs are wrong. I have never just outright bashed someones religion. As long you respect me, I'll respect you.

Evil Dead
who said religion bashing had anything to do with beliefs? I despise all religions....Christianity, Judiism, Islam, etc. It has nothing to do with any beliefs held by any individual within the establishment.

here's where you religious nutjobs get your panties in a bunch. you think life revolves around your beliefs, if somebody doesn't like you it must have to do with your beliefs......because that is what is central to the world.

Religions are about nothing more than using strength in numbers to further a goal......no different than a street gang or military force. This is why religions are always talking about their beliefs to those who are not even in their religion, recruiting more troops.

A man could be the most devout Christian to ever walk the earth. He could live his life by scripture and be self-assured he is going to end up in heaven.......but what good would that do? That's obviously not good enough.... this man has to get together with hundreds, thousands or millions of other people. For what rational reason? He's already going to heaven......he already lives his life by his personal beliefs? There is none........other than to congregate to show strength in numbers and using that "power" to influence others who do not share the same beliefs. 'tis the reason we have organizations like the Christian coalition and whatnot always out to boycott something or another.......after all, if Christians don't like something.....there power should be used to stop others who have different belief systems from enjoying it.

beliefs are fine. I personally think all your paranormal beliefs are cooky but hey......have at it. I do however find it odd that many Christians will go on about all kinds of paranormal stuff including but not limited to angels, invisible men in the sky, the walking dead, etc. but will still label other crazy people who believe in psychics and crap as nutjobs. I myself do not care what others believe. If you believe in invisible men watching you every moment of the day.....fine with me......if you believe your furniture is making fun of you, fine with me..........my only problem arises when a bunch of crazies get together and feel the need to make sure I have to hear about their invisible guy in the sky watching them or their furniture talking to them.

debbiejo
I always thought those happened in nursing homes..........and I was looking forward to it.eek!

I don't really bash peoples religions, I just like the fact that I'm made to feel I can't voice my beliefs or impressions or views without condemnation.

Evil Dead
upon re-reading my last post........I've decided it was unfair of me to compare the Christians invisible man in the sky watching them to people who hear their furniture talking to them. To those I may have offended I'm sorry. We all know that furniture does actually exist.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Evil Dead
upon re-reading my last post........I've decided it was unfair of me to compare the Christians invisible man in the sky watching them to people who hear their furniture talking to them. To those I may have offended I'm sorry. We all know that furniture does actually exist.

And furniture can talk, if you are over weight and sit in a small chair, it might just tell you I'm going to brake in a few minutes. laughing

Captain Falcon
Why do certian people bash on religion so much, what makes them feel that there beliefs are any better? beliefs? Well religions hate other religions because they're Fundamental and too arogant to see it another way.

I hate religion because religion is the source to all confusion war and deceit in the world. Bad things only happen, when people say they're bad.

Blue nocturne
Originally posted by Captain Falcon
beliefs? Well religions hate other religions because they're Fundamental and too arogant to see it another way.

I hate religion because religion is the source to all confusion war and deceit in the world. Bad things only happen, when people say they're bad.

How naive. sad

Arachnoidfreak
Originally posted by DiamondBullets
In the Hawaiian religion, we are truly and completely open-minded. When the Brits conquered Hawai'i they outlawed surfing because it was done in minimal clothing and it was pagan.

BULLSHIT!

You were just bashing gays in the other ****ing thread!

And I also remember you 'embracing you own hipocrisy'.

Good job.

Lana
Originally posted by JacopeX
The ones that dont belive in god bash on the christian/catholics. Why wont they jus let us belive in wut we want, they seem like they dont know better

Yet....those who are religious tell everyone who isn't or who doesn't follow their religion is going to go to hell, and try to change what they believe.

Hmmm.

Hypocritical much?

Punker69

Scriptures never tell us to "bash" any other religion. It tells us to beware of false doctrine but it never tells us to bash them. Thats an additive some Christians take because they're hypocrites and have not learned the concept of being wise as serpents and gentle as doves. It tells us to preach the gospel and also love your neighbor. I haven't met a good pastor yet who's bashed a religion. All we are supposed to do is preach the word of God.

Soleran
wow it certainly seems as though people who aren't christians can get just as passionate about their faith as the christians do "sharing" their religion. Not a sermon, just a thought.

Janus Marius
What stirs up passion, though? Conviction or opposition?

Soleran
Originally posted by Janus Marius
What stirs up passion, though? Conviction or opposition?

it doesn't matter that much, the end result is nearly if not identical.

You say tomatoe I say potatoe, whatever it's all the same.

DiamondBullets
Q: Ya hear about the new Jewish car?

A: It stops on a dime and picks it up!

MARCMAN
bashing is NEVER cool no matter what your belief.

One thing though. We can't say that all beliefs are true. Some are too much an opposite which make it impossible for ALL religions to be true.

Arachnoidfreak
Originally posted by Punker69
Scriptures never tell us to "bash" any other religion. It tells us to beware of false doctrine but it never tells us to bash them. Thats an additive some Christians take because they're hypocrites and have not learned the concept of being wise as serpents and gentle as doves. It tells us to preach the gospel and also love your neighbor. I haven't met a good pastor yet who's bashed a religion. All we are supposed to do is preach the word of God.

Isn't the serpent a symbol of the Devil?

Word, be like the devil. But be gentle! God forbid Christians strike anyone down for not believing what they do*coughcrusadescough*

lil bitchiness

You tend to bash and pick on Christianity a lot, so technically the first post applies to you too.

Captain Falcon
Q: What happened when Christianity went to Europe in the 5/6th Century?

A: The Dark ages.

hmm

Q: Why is there lots of wars in India?

A: Islam, Sihkism, Hinduism and other religions.

hmm

Q: Why is there people in the US who push religion into schools?

A: They can't think clearly and believe it's right.

hmm

And you wonder why I hate it. erm

debbiejo
Originally posted by Arachnoidfreak

Originally no it was not, it was made so by the church. There was nothing inherently wrong with the symbol in goddess worship, and also thought of as a Phallic symbol.

Krabs55
i dont think we should hate it but i think we should respect it but not push it. We should really show that we believe in freedom of religion!

Punker69
Originally posted by Arachnoidfreak

Word, be like the devil. But be gentle! God forbid Christians strike anyone down for not believing what they do*coughcrusadescough*

No, it doesn't represent the Devil. That is a man-made philosophy that God never intended.

Thats a vague mis-interpretation of scripture. The meaning is BE WISE but ALSO BE GENTLE.

crazy
I do not think many people bash religion, most people just question it.

debbiejo
No, it doesn't represent the Devil. That is a man-made philosophy that God never intended.

Thats a vague mis-interpretation of scripture. The meaning is BE WISE but ALSO BE GENTLE. Yes in Genesis...The serpent was associated with Satan, but not directly mentioned.

Blue nocturne

hmm

Q: Why is there lots of wars in India?

A: Islam, Sihkism, Hinduism and other religions.

hmm

Q: Why is there people in the US who push religion into schools?

A: They can't think clearly and believe it's right.

hmm

And you wonder why I hate it. erm

Falcon lemme ask you a question, Would there be world peace without religion?

Blue nocturne
Yes in Genesis...The serpent was associated with Satan, but not directly mentioned.

The serpent is only mentioned as satan in revilation, if you read the scripture carefully you notice the serpent was telling the truth and yahweh was lying.

Shakyamunison
Falcon lemme ask you a question, Would there be world peace without religion?

There will always be religion. To blame everything on religion is bogus. We are to blame.

debbiejo
The serpent is only mentioned as satan in revilation, if you read the scripture carefully you notice the serpent was telling the truth and yahweh was lying. Which scripture are you referring to?

darth vraya
Why do certian people bash on religion so much, what makes them feel that there beliefs are any better? it is merely discrimination and being afraid of what is different. just like racism

Imperial_Samura

Actually that's not really true. The true Dark Ages (a terrible phrase that hopefully one day will be erased from the history books) were caused by the collapse of the Western Roman Empire (the East endured) and the collapse took down a lot of the infrastructure, culture, trade routes, communication routes and protective measures. Essentially you had a lot of peple whoe had been sheltered and nurtered (as best that were able) by the centralised Western Roman government suddenly all alone in the world. New nations forming, war, all that jazz.

Now some would say that religion played a part in the WRE disintergration, but it alone wasn't the cause. And it must be said the Eastern Roman Empire (the Byzantines as they are also know) edured for many hundreds of years as the sole Christian power in the East. Granted, the Islamic religion was still young at that point, s it was much of an achievement.

Spazoid
There will always be religion. To blame everything on religion is bogus. We are to blame.

Yes! we are to blame IF we follow blindly without thinking . . . . It's like your question on another thread about flying an airplane into a building if God told you to do so . . . . one must discern if the action is requested by a human or a god, and one must THINK FOR ONESELF!!! Therefore, religion is not to blame, corrupt leaders and weak followers are the problem. Spiritual beliefs and seeking truth are not inherently corrupt.

Punker69
Yes in Genesis...The serpent was associated with Satan, but not directly mentioned.

I never said it wasn't. It was associated with Satan once. Ever since then man made a assumption that the creature itself was somehow evil and should be a continual representation of evil.

Imperial_Samura
I never said it wasn't. It was associated with Satan once. Ever since then man made a assumption that the creature itself was somehow evil and should be a continual representation of evil.

Isn't that kind of God's fault? It's just like mankind -

"Adam and Eve! You ate the fruit! You committed a wrong, and as I result all people will be born into sin, even though they didn't actually do anything wrong and didn't personally eat the fruit. Why? Because I'm God and I so say! Bwooorrhhh!!!!"

"And you, Snake!!! Because of what you did all snakes for all time will be viewed badly, you will crawl on your belly, eat dust, and bite the heel of man, who shall try to crush your skull with his tin of baked beans! And yes, all snakes, even though 99.999999999999999999999999 snakes had not a thing to do with this event"

Which I would resent. Pelagias had it right. Why should people be considered to be sinful. We did nothing. A good many of us will do nothing wrong all life. Why should we believe we are to be punished for something a couple of stupid people did thousandss of years ago?

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
Isn't that kind of God's fault? It's just like mankind -

"Adam and Eve! You ate the fruit! You committed a wrong, and as I result all people will be born into sin, even though they didn't actually do anything wrong and didn't personally eat the fruit. Why? Because I'm God and I so say! Bwooorrhhh!!!!"

"And you, Snake!!! Because of what you did all snakes for all time will be viewed badly, you will crawl on your belly, eat dust, and bite the heel of man, who shall try to crush your skull with his tin of baked beans! And yes, all snakes, even though 99.999999999999999999999999 snakes had not a thing to do with this event"

Which I would resent. Pelagias had it right. Why should people be considered to be sinful. We did nothing. A good many of us will do nothing wrong all life. Why should we believe we are to be punished for something a couple of stupid people did thousandss of years ago?

Not to mention that before Adam and Eve ate from the tree of knowledge, neither of them had knowledge of good and evil, or right or wrong. This begs the question, "How could Adam and Eve know that eating from the tree of knowledge is wrong, let alone what wrong is?"

debbiejo
Which would also go against blaming one for another's sin. "Taking the plank out of your own eye first, and judging others, for what you had not committed yourself." Now everybody judges Adam and Eve, and we are told not to judge.
Good point. Adam and Eve would be like children. They were punished for their curiosity which god had instilled in human beings. Maybe god should of thought about the curiosity factor and left it out.

Blaxican_Hydra
Heh, i agree eligion bashing is wrong, and i would know. I'm a jehovah's witness and I've had people sick their dogs on me, slam doors in my face, literally hitting my face, I've been threatened with bat's and knives, yelled at cursed at, the works.

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by Blaxican_Hydra
Heh, i agree eligion bashing is wrong, and i would know. I'm a jehovah's witness and I've had people sick their dogs on me, slam doors in my face, literally hitting my face, I've been threatened with bat's and knives, yelled at cursed at, the works.

Well, I guess you could stay away from those people and there wouldn't be the catalyst that leads them to act in such an unacceptable way.

Blaxican_Hydra
Its not the result of oing to one person repeadetly sometimes. it's just random people. Even if you've never even seen them before.

Punker69

God was not talking about the snakes as in creatures. He was talking about Satan. It was not God's intention for snakes to be viewed so poorly. As least I dont think it was.

"We did nothing.." According to the Bible and laws Jesus has set out for his people, most of us sin everyday. By God standards that "Most of us will do nothing wrong in our life" got void around age 3 when you started first dissobeying your parents. We are born into sin because of Adam and Eve and we will sin until the day that we die. Its apart of our humanity and who we are.

debbiejo
Its not the result of oing to one person repeadetly sometimes. it's just random people. Even if you've never even seen them before. Maybe it's because you go door to door maybe??? no
"We did nothing.." According to the Bible and laws Jesus has set out for his people, most of us sin everyday. By God standards that "Most of us will do nothing wrong in our life" got void around age 3 when you started first dissobeying your parents. We are born into sin because of Adam and Eve and we will sin until the day that we die. Its apart of our humanity and who we are. And newborns in the OT were ok for god to have killed then?

Imperial_Samura
God was not talking about the snakes as in creatures. He was talking about Satan. It was not God's intention for snakes to be viewed so poorly. As least I dont think it was.

Sounds very much like snakes in general, doesn't it? Nothing there that even symbolically indicates he wasn't cursing snake kind for all eternity.

But are we not born into sin? If it still goes back to Adam and Eve it still means we are being punished for the sins of the father (well, great great great etc father.) For their sin. We carry it with us, and apparently that sin makes us sin more. The original sin.

Apparently, all those sons of Egypt. The flood. The people the Israelites massacred when the came to the promised land...

Punker69
Sounds very much like snakes in general, doesn't it? Nothing there that even symbolically indicates he wasn't cursing snake kind for all eternity.

It wasn't about the creature. God was speaking to the Devil behind the creature.

Maybe it's because you go door to door maybe??? no
And newborns in the OT were ok for god to have killed then?

God does what he wants. It may not always seem fair we may not always be able to understand it but Job said it best "The Lord giveth and the lord hath taken away, BLESSED BE THE NAME OF THE LORD". We as sinful human beings have no right to judge a God who created us and who died for us and who's offers an eternity of paradise with him if we will only stay faithful. I look at it on a timescale of eternity. It may seem hard for awhile but not one promise in the Bible goes overlooked. When God says he will give you peace he means it. It may not come the second you ask but it will come. And if I can just stay faithful for the few years I have on earth God will reward me.

Imperial_Samura
It wasn't about the creature. God was speaking to the Devil behind the creature.

How so? He refers specifically to all the animals in the animal world - Satan to my knowledge isn't any form of livestock or beast. He refers specifically to the characteristics of a snake. He says the offspring of women and snake will hate each other - how many children has Satan had? How many off them are "bruise the heels" of men while they "bruise the head" the head of the snakes.

I know the OT is full of symbolism, but I don't see how this can be construed as Satan and not snakes in general.

debbiejo
Scripture says that the woman will be afraid of snakes.......But I'm not....I know I'm a women too, so what's with that? A lie?

Why would god need to give out rewards like a good parent to a little child. God would be above bribery.....because that's what it is you know....It's a bribe...A real god would be above this.

Janus Marius
Great points, Adam and Imperial. As usual, the religious counter arguments are just playing semantics and worming around the main points.

drunk_nazgul
As I've said in another topic, the Bible and other Holy Books weren't entirely literal. This is probably the point the religion bashers don't get and that's why they bash.
"I don't like religions because they tell me Jesus can take a sword out of his mouth."
laughing out loud

hey, have any of you read the Left Behind series?

debbiejo
Yes some of the first book and some of the second.,...........all the thoughts of iTim Lahey guy...................not a historian.............

Rapscallion
"There will always be religion. To blame everything on religion is bogus. We are to blame. "

But we created religion. Now while you aer correct in saying you can't blame everything on religion, it is safe to say that religion is responsible for the majority of the wars fought throughout history.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Rapscallion
"There will always be religion. To blame everything on religion is bogus. We are to blame. "

But we created religion. Now while you aer correct in saying you can't blame everything on religion, it is safe to say that religion is responsible for the majority of the wars fought throughout history.

That is like saying that food is the cause of war. Although food has been the cause of strife, it's really power, not religion or food that has been cause for war. laughing

Punker69
Scripture says that the woman will be afraid of snakes.......But I'm not....I know I'm a women too, so what's with that? A lie?

Why would god need to give out rewards like a good parent to a little child. God would be above bribery.....because that's what it is you know....It's a bribe...A real god would be above this.

Its not Bribery. Thats not why I choose to serve him. I serve him because I love him. I love what he did for me at Calvary and I love him being in my life. And I also love the fact that any suffering I go threw isn't going to be overlooked but will be rewarded because thats just how good God is.

Rapscallion
That is like saying that food is the cause of war. Although food has been the cause of strife, it's really power, not religion or food that has been cause for war. laughing

I don't get the connection. No one has ever tried to exterminate someone because of the food they eat, or tried to force them to eat their type of food. No one has enslaved a group of people because of the food they eat. However, people have been esterminated because of religion.People have been enslaved because of religion, and people have been torture and persecuted for having a religion different from those who form the majority. So no, it is not like saying food caused war because A) food hasn't caused war while religion has. B) Religion isn't an essential element of life while food is. C) Food doesn't cause descrimination. D) Food doesn't manipulate people's thoughts telling them what's righteous and what's evil and sending them on a holy war to kill themselves some heathens.

Arachnoidfreak
Its not the result of oing to one person repeadetly sometimes. it's just random people. Even if you've never even seen them before.

Maybe because people don't like it when you try to force your beliefs on them.

Just a thought.

debbiejo
Its not Bribery. Thats not why I choose to serve him. I serve him because I love him. I love what he did for me at Calvary and I love him being in my life. And I also love the fact that any suffering I go threw isn't going to be overlooked but will be rewarded because thats just how good God is. This story is older than the Jesus story.......But the names were changed..........

Shakyamunison
I don't get the connection. No one has ever tried to exterminate someone because of the food they eat, or tried to force them to eat their type of food. No one has enslaved a group of people because of the food they eat. However, people have been esterminated because of religion.People have been enslaved because of religion, and people have been torture and persecuted for having a religion different from those who form the majority. So no, it is not like saying food caused war because A) food hasn't caused war while religion has. B) Religion isn't an essential element of life while food is. C) Food doesn't cause descrimination. D) Food doesn't manipulate people's thoughts telling them what's righteous and what's evil and sending them on a holy war to kill themselves some heathens.

If you look at the root cause of war, it is more often cultural differences and power struggles. I use food as a way of abstracting the point. Take the American war of independence; they throw tea in the Boston harbor. That war was about unfair taxation on commerce, but it was really about control. Who was in control over the colonies? Religion can be an excuse for war, but it is usually the quest for power that is the driving force.

Rapscallion
What about the crusade's? I know people always bash religion for that and I don't want to beat a dead horse but that was totally motivated by religion. But also more recentlythere have been wars in which religion was a major motivation. The Holocaust for example christian Germans tried to exterminate european jews which resulted in WWII.The Allies then resorted to propoganda to gain the support of their public. How did they do this? They hid the fact that the Nazis were christian and made them out to be atheists to get the american or british people to hate them more. This fear of atheists was a major part of why we reliious capitalists hated communists so much. They had no god. This in turn resulted in the vie nam war and korean war. As for the Americain revolution, it didn't start over food. The british weren't pissed off about loosing all that tea, they pissed off about loosing the control of colonies due to political beliefs. Now bear in mind that religion is a major factor in determining someone's political beliefs as well as moral. Also, rmember that most of the colonists were English (it ws an English colony after all) and had originally left to gain religious freedom. Also, those who immigrated form other countries also had different religious belifs from England which resulted in a nation with completely different religious views from its colonies. Look at the war we are in now. Most will say that this is a political war. But George Bush has even called it a crusade, and Islamic terrorists have called i8t a Djihad, so what could the motivation of this war be if both sides believe it is religiously motivated. Some will say that the motivation for this war was September 11 but now we know (actually we always have) that there was no connection between those attacks and the Iraqi government. Others will say it was to find weapons of mass destruction, but none were found and our president has even made jokes about there being none. The most convincing excuse is that the Iraqi government harbored and funded terrorists. This is true but many western nations have funded terrorists and have comitted terrorst acts including the U.S. why haven't we attacked france or why hasn't Britain attacked us? Because we are united thrugh religion. The middle east however is not part of our religion so lets bomb the mother-f***ers. This hostility between Christianity and Islam has been going on since the crusades and is the driving force between all international violence today.

debbiejo
Very interesting history.

Soooooo true.

Shakyamunison

Rapscallion
Yes that is true, but isn't blaming religion and blaming ourselves the same thing since we created and abide by our religion.

Shakyamunison
Yes that is true, but isn't blaming religion and blaming ourselves the same thing since we created and abide by our religion.

To the more enlightened one, yes. But most people don't want to blame themselves and would rather find the blame else where.

Jonathan Mark
What about the crusade's? I know people always bash religion for that and I don't want to beat a dead horse but that was totally motivated by religion. But also more recentlythere have been wars in which religion was a major motivation. The Holocaust for example christian Germans tried to exterminate european jews which resulted in WWII.The Allies then resorted to propoganda to gain the support of their public. How did they do this? They hid the fact that the Nazis were christian and made them out to be atheists to get the american or british people to hate them more. This fear of atheists was a major part of why we reliious capitalists hated communists so much. They had no god. This in turn resulted in the vie nam war and korean war. As for the Americain revolution, it didn't start over food. The british weren't pissed off about loosing all that tea, they pissed off about loosing the control of colonies due to political beliefs. Now bear in mind that religion is a major factor in determining someone's political beliefs as well as moral. Also, rmember that most of the colonists were English (it ws an English colony after all) and had originally left to gain religious freedom. Also, those who immigrated form other countries also had different religious belifs from England which resulted in a nation with completely different religious views from its colonies. Look at the war we are in now. Most will say that this is a political war. But George Bush has even called it a crusade, and Islamic terrorists have called i8t a Djihad, so what could the motivation of this war be if both sides believe it is religiously motivated. Some will say that the motivation for this war was September 11 but now we know (actually we always have) that there was no connection between those attacks and the Iraqi government. Others will say it was to find weapons of mass destruction, but none were found and our president has even made jokes about there being none. The most convincing excuse is that the Iraqi government harbored and funded terrorists. This is true but many western nations have funded terrorists and have comitted terrorst acts including the U.S. why haven't we attacked france or why hasn't Britain attacked us? Because we are united thrugh religion. The middle east however is not part of our religion so lets bomb the mother-f***ers. This hostility between Christianity and Islam has been going on since the crusades and is the driving force between all intenational violence today.

The word paragraphs comes to mind as I read.

BackFire

Because Passion of the Christ was pig shit.

Evil Dead
ah but Shaky.........isnt' the sole purpose of most religions power?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Evil Dead
ah but Shaky.........isnt' the sole purpose of most religions power?

Yes I agree, but people who are not religious can be just as power hungry.

Rapscallion
Originally posted by Jonathan Mark
The word paragraphs comes to mind as I read.

thanks for the contribution to the discussion.

Captain Falcon
Yes I agree, but people who are not religious can be just as power hungry. true. But those people think more clearly and usually do it for good reasons. Then again, kings and emperors are religious, historical freaks are religious, George Bush is religious.

Storm
Atheists are not necessarily more rational than theists.

debbiejo
True of course.............Storm always does her research........... smart

Jonathan Mark
thanks for the contribution to the discussion.

Dude it is much easier to read if you space out large clumps of text in paragraphs.

Rapscallion
sorry, I'm too lazy to actually organize my thoughts. Sorry about the snap.

Great Vengeance
true. But those people think more clearly and usually do it for good reasons. Then again, kings and emperors are religious, historical freaks are religious, George Bush is religious.

The fact that Bush is religious pretty much disproves God on its own.

Arachnoidfreak
Originally posted by Great Vengeance
The fact that Bush is religious pretty much disproves God on its own.

He isn't, it's bullshit.

He 'became' a born-again Christian just before his election for Governor of Texas.

dani_california
Weather or not Bush has anything to do with existance of God, I don't know.

But I think organized religion basically defeats the purpose of religion

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by dani_california
Weather or not Bush has anything to do with existance of God, I don't know.

But I think organized religion basically defeats the purpose of religion

You say that without know all of the organized religion in the world. Not all organized religions are evil and corrupt.

dani_california
The sad thing is that i base a lot of what i believe on the movie Dogma

That sounds retarded but I actually do

Like one of the character says that God hates 'Beliefs' and would rather people had an Idea of God, not a Belief since Beliefs cause crap to happen like:
The Crusades
WW2 (Hitler said that Jesus told him to kill the Jews)
The whole thing with terrorists who think they'll go to heaven if they kill people

So religion has caused millions of deaths
That's why it defeats its own purpose

Another character in the movie says that it doesn't matter if the Bible is true as long as they got the message right, which is basically what i believe

Shakyamunison

Like one of the character says that God hates 'Beliefs' and would rather people had an Idea of God, not a Belief since Beliefs cause crap to happen like:
The Crusades
The whole thing with terrorists who think they'll go to heaven if they kill people

Another character in the movie says that it doesn't matter if the Bible is true as long as they got the message right, which is basically what i believe

I am a Buddhist, and my religion is nothing like what is in that movie. You should read up on it.

peejayd

The Crusades

* terrorists think they'll go to heaven if they kill people... that's because they are stupid...

"Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill ; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:"
But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment : and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire."
Matthew 5:21-22

"Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
Envyings, murders , drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God ."
Galatians 5:19-21

"But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you ;"
Matthew 5:44

* these verses do not need further interpretations... if the stupid terrorists only read the Bible, they could not have been fooled by Hitler... wink

Alliance
Originally posted by peejayd
* terrorists think they'll go to heaven if they kill people... that's because they are stupid...

That doesnt seem like very logical reasoning to me. In fact, thier actions seem perfectly logical. Did I hear "crusades"? Did I hear "excessive religious tolerance on the part of the Muslims and Christians so bigoted that they would kill thousands of thier own kind in holy wars, not to mention people of any other religion." Christians, perhaps above all religions, have no historical right to claim that religion is nonviolent or does not involve murder.

I don't see you blessing the "stupid" terrorists.

And terrorism had nothing to do with Hitler. Thats fascism, and politically, it was brilliant.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Alliance
That doesnt seem like very logical reasoning to me. In fact, thier actions seem perfectly logical. Did I hear "crusades"? Did I hear "excessive religious tolerance on the part of the Muslims and Christians so bigoted that they would kill thousands of thier own kind in holy wars, not to mention people of any other religion." Christians, perhaps above all religions, have no historical right to claim that religion is nonviolent or does not involve murder.

I don't see you blessing the "stupid" terrorists.

And terrorism had nothing to do with Hitler. Thats fascism, and politically, it was brilliant.

What was brilliant. War is always a sign of failure.

peejayd
* they were believing in a false religion... true religion promotes love and care for fellow humans...

Alliance
* they were believing in a false religion... true religion promotes love and care for fellow humans...

No, thats your opinion of what true religion is. A religion is true if you believe it is. This has been shown throughout history.

What was brilliant. War is always a sign of failure.

Hitler's ability to rejuvinate the German people, to mobilize and bring Europe to its knees was brillant. War is not always a sign of failure, it is often a sign of mass-motivation.

Shakyamunison

peejayd
No, thats your opinion of what true religion is. A religion is true if you believe it is. This has been shown throughout history.

* bro, it is very insane to believe that a true religion promotes killings and murders... wink

"Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world."
James 1:27

* a pure religion promotes love and care for others... wink

Alliance
Not really. Religious lines lead to violence. Most religions that I can think of have had some period when they started wars based on religious teachings. Christianity promoted killings and murders. You claim a "pure" religion, but then blast Islam as some sort of pseudo-religion. Its not, and its not to the people that believe it. Since you the only "pure" religion you refer to is Chirstianity, I question your argument's validity. it seems to me that you just spend time tooting your view of Christianity's horn and simply just reference other religions as false. I don't buy either point.

Tired Hiker
Mormons suck! eek!

Tired Hiker
Originally posted by Tired Hiker
Mormons suck! eek!

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought this is where you come to bash religions. My bad. embarrasment

I actaully like Mormons.

lord xyz
Originally posted by Tired Hiker
Oh, I'm sorry. I thought this is where you come to bash religions. My bad. embarrasment

I actaully like Mormons. jehova's witness

lord xyz
Not really. Religious lines lead to violence. Most religions that I can think of have had some period when they started wars based on religious teachings. Christianity promoted killings and murders. You claim a "pure" religion, but then blast Islam as some sort of pseudo-religion. Its not, and its not to the people that believe it. Since you the only "pure" religion you refer to is Chirstianity, I question your argument's validity. it seems to me that you just spend time tooting your view of Christianity's horn and simply just reference other religions as false. I don't buy either point. That's what I've been saying this whole time!

Blue nocturne
* bro, it is very insane to believe that a true religion promotes killings and murders... wink

"Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world."
James 1:27

* a pure religion promotes love and care for others... wink

Have you ever heard of the inquisition?

Shakyamunison
Have you ever heard of the inquisition?

Then Christianity is not a true religion, or is it? confused

All religions are true and false, good and evil. The only religions that are not both good and evil are ones that are dead.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>