Awesome Fan Lightsaber Duel

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

PVS
you gotta see this!

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/highschool-lightsaber-duel.html

Alliance
LOL..THAT was a good one

though the excessive ground fighting got very lame, it was orignal creative, well choreographed and humerous.

Dorkman fights very similarly to Dooku

((The_Anomaly))
Thats pretty intense. Other then the cheesy hand to hand stuff, its pretty sweet.

PVS
its very creative imho, and any shortcomings (mediocre saber effects and some stale overly fake moves) can be forgiven given their age experience and budget. it goes way beyond the typical fanfilms in the way of fight choreography. i really liked when the kid force-grabbed his saber and dorkman sliced it in midair. just little never-before-done stuff like that certainly puts it above the rest i think.

ESB - 1138
The end were Dorkman got killed was funny. Turns around...that would suck.

((The_Anomaly))
Yea the mid-air saber cut was pretty awesome, I gotta admit.

rubinator
I know another duel starring ryan, it kicks @$$

http://ryanw.michaelfrisk.com/ryan-w/clips/ryan_vs_brandon.mov

you can save it right click, save as

EPIIIBITES
I can honestly say I enjoyed that as much as the saga duels. Those guys are my new heores!!

Maybe even better than the "Duality" duel (hope ya'll have seen that).

Darth Subjekt
personally, I think this Ryan kid has a future in movies. Maybe not acting, but more like asa choreographer. Like PVS said, he's pretty innovative. Like when they were locked up in the second one, and the kid turned his off and Ryan fell forward...who thinks of that? Thats dope. Also, when they first split the double bladed blue saber, and the longer haired kid was walking towards him, the way he kinda throws the saber up behind his shoulder and catches it was prolly one of my favorite parts, lol....it just looked that cool to me. I think the kid has a lot of talent.

sithsaber408
eek! laughing out loud

That was friggin sick!!!

Maybe those guys could make ep7-9.

J/k.

amity75
That was way cool and at least one of the sabre duels in any of the 6 star wars movies should have ended that way.

rubinator
whcich my posting or the other posting

just curious

Tarvos
That was tight! Although, I'll have to agree that the ground-fighting looked kind of... stupid. The way Ryan dies though was pretty cool.

As for the second video, since it's a stupid QuickTime file, I can't view it. miffed:

Traya
Whoa, that was awesome! Aside from the cheesy interludes, I wouldn't have minded if that was Dorkman as Dooku and the other guy as Anakin. That was worthy enough to be in the films!

DarthBanevv
Both links didn't work for me.

Council#13
Oh my god, that duel is better than some of the ones in Star Wars!!!! Kick ass! Woot! 10/10! 5 stars!!!

Mysterious Man
Agreed,Dorkman was like Dooku.Ground fighting I didn't care for,but the rest rocked!

sithsaber408
Originally posted by rubinator
I know another duel starring ryan, it kicks @$$

http://ryanw.michaelfrisk.com/ryan-w/clips/ryan_vs_brandon.mov

you can save it right click, save as

That one is pretty good too, I agree with Subjekt, the move behind the back was cool, and when they locked up and the kid turns his saber off,.... genius.

I laughed so loud that my boss came over.

BUSTED!

(He thought it was pretty cool too, though.)

DiamondBullets
It'd be better if it didn't LOOK so choreographed.

Reminded me of those cheesy Hong Kong kung fu flicks from the 70's

darth vraya
Very good. The next duel of fates in my opinion. loved the twist at the end too. Only thing I didnt like was the force push/pull fight. Way too cheesy. Other than that I thought it was excellent

Faunus
That was admittedly amazing, although it looked, in some parts, a bit too fancy.

And that kid got owned.

Council#13
In all the fights that Ryan guy dies

Revan Ecks
that was cool i made one before but it sucked so much i did not post it.

FistOfThe North
A beautiful fight, indeed. I loved the sound effects, too.

I always wanted to make a lightsaber duel film, like that..

I always mess around, lightsaber fighting with my nephew. He purchased a set. We skirmish in the same way they do in the flicks and in the comics. He's 14. He's good too. But I'm better, hehe.

I love reenacting the Maul vs Obi/Gui Gon match in Ep.1, whenever his older bro comes over and brings his saber. We don't do it to the tee, but his brother is kick ass with his Maul Saber. Bastard's quick as hell, fights backwards and everything, like Maul. But he's still no match.

I'd be very interested in doing one and throwing it on the net or KMC, without question. I'd have to find out about how they do they effects and more.

My favorite move that I do is a sidestepping, with light saber overhead, followed by a complete 360 turnaround at the last minute, I'd crouch & sweep his ankle with the saber and quickly swing upwards with the, chopping off his arm of from underneath and Force pushing him back into..(an actual chest push, you only get one, and have to fall if you're cut, but no cuts means you can stay up) But you can obviously still defend yourself if your on the floor. But Wounded, it be hard.

hehe. I'm so immature. God.

Stun
i was waiting for Ghyslain to come in and ruin the partylaughing out loud the choreography was just awesome though, but the floor thing got a lil lame - it's the kind of thing you do when your a kid, when your best friend pretends to cut all of your limbs off kind of thingstick out tongue i like how he finished him though, that was cool

FistOfThe North
Wow. On Ryan's site he tell's you how to create you very own saberfight including ILM-like effects with adobe acrobat....

I'm there..!

Paranoid Pyro
The effects were great. But the choreography was pretty lame IMO. I sometimes have a quick fight with a friend and even I have better moves than that. But even though that sucked, I still think it's pretty cool. Great lightsabers, sound,... The ending with the Ryan kid dying was pretty good. Totally owned. Dorkman getting killed was too much.

6/10

PVS
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Wow. On Ryan's site he tell's you how to create you very own saberfight including ILM-like effects with adobe acrobat....

adobe acrobat? you sure about that?
well im sure they kick the asses of those lame duels
rendered with MS word.

FistOfThe North
Adobe photoshop, I meant. Down boy.

Darth Subjekt
i was just playing my Ep3 game, and in the credits, Ryan's name is under visual effects. Told you he would geta job!!! lol.

sithsaber408
I wonder if Nic Gillard choreographed any of those fights then?

(he helped the game designers to learn lightsaber forms, see the OT dvd special features disc.)

Darth Subjekt
nah, i doubt it. his credits said choreography by him and whoever else he was fighting. and it wasnt really Nicks style.

sithsaber408
Some of the moves in the link Rubinator posted looked like they were ripped from the making of EP3 sections on the dvd.

Mišt
They've done better ones since that one, thats like 2 years old. Theres one...Ill try and find it...with Ryan and this other guy, its probably better than RvD...they use a dual saber and shit...I've got the non rotoscoped version, not sure if they ever finished it up with the effects though erm

Have you guys seen Art of the Saber? Lightsabers with asian style martial arts, its one of the best I've seen.
Art of the Saber

Hmm...I cant find the other vid...I think I backed it up somewhere, Ill try link up soon..

Mišt
Found it...the raw footage doesnt look as good un-sabered, and the moves are a bit slow/fake (especially the lunge..sick), but its a pretty good fight...Ill upload the raw footage later but this is what its supposed to look like when rotoscopped, whoever did this part didnt do the whole film unfortunately...:
BrandonVsRyan short

Mišt
Uhh...triple post messed

BrandonVsRyan raw footage

FistOfThe North
I did it.

Using Ryans method and his tutorial i created a lightsaber effect on Adobe photeshop and Adobe After Effects. I used a still of some guy holding a lightsaber hilt. I learning how to create Force lighting. Im also learning how to use Adobe Premier now in order to make actual lightsaber duel videos. I downloaded about 100 force power and saber sounds effects already.

Lemme see if i can upload it my lightsaber designs.

FistOfThe North
I got that pic off google. It was just that guy holding a hilt only and that's it. I added the actual light of the saber and made the whole effect myself using A. After Effects. From the core to luminance.

I've never dabbled with PC graphics before but I think it looks good for a beginner. I learned how to do it in 2 days.

sithsaber408

Mišt
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
I did it.

Using Ryans method and his tutorial i created a lightsaber effect on Adobe photeshop and Adobe After Effects. I used a still of some guy holding a lightsaber hilt. I learning how to create Force lighting. Im also learning how to use Adobe Premier now in order to make actual lightsaber duel videos. I downloaded about 100 force power and saber sounds effects already.

Lemme see if i can upload it my lightsaber designs.

If you want to do lightning, dont use Photoshop or After Effects, it looks too fake. I use ParticleIllusion and tweak the lightning effect, then add in a flash. You can do it in a few seconds, as opposed to using Adobe products.

Heres another bit of a fan fight, it was only released as raw footage, but I mucked around and rotoscoped it and added lightning as tests (hence why its out of order and looks a bit sloppy, the lightning was only supposed to be a force push for the film)...did this a while back..

Ill pm you a short tutorial on making sabers in Photoshop, they look nicer than After Effects imo.

Short fight

Alliance
You can get by with photoshop though...thats what I use. Its slow, but precise and It usually works well....gotta have patience though.

PVS

MadMel
i saw ryan vs dorkman last night...was friken awesome..but it could have done without the bit where they both try to grab the lightsabre..

Darth_Rankkor
Originally posted by DiamondBullets
It'd be better if it didn't LOOK so choreographed.

Reminded me of those cheesy Hong Kong kung fu flicks from the 70's

which are the best action/martial arts movies ever :P. At least they can fight :P jejeje

Mišt
I found 3 entries from LCC4, the rest I had were dud links...Ill try and find the rest of them (about 20 in total).

LCC4 is the Lighsaber Choreography Contest 4, they do this every year at TFN, basically everyone tries to make the best fight they can to see who wins, so the fights are generally a lot better than what you would find in a normal fan film.

One of them is probably the best stick fight I've ever seen. It hasnt been rotoscopped so it doesnt look as awesome as if there were lightsabers, but the fight is sweet anyway. The other two are pretty standard duels, nothing special, except the first one has pretty much everything - 1saber v 1saber, 1 saber v dualsaber, 1saber vs 2 sabers, 2sabers vs 2 sabers...cool fight.

First upload wont be done for 45mins, so Ill post link thensmile

Mišt
Fight One

Alliance
thx mist...that was nice. The antics at the beginning were obnoxious, but one the saber fighting started, it got much better. I'm interested to see the rest if you find them, I've been trying to work out details of the fighting styles of some characters I've been designing.

Mišt
Yeah my connection is shit, so a 20mb file might take me an hour to upload, but I've got shitloads of fights...but only half are any good to watch.

LanceWindu

Mišt
Its here, I just cant afford it as of yet...Im kinda a few thousand in debtno expression

Alliance
eek2

No one here can hold that agsint you...take your time. I could help you upload those that you find online, if you pm me the links.

Thorinn
Originally posted by PVS
you gotta see this!

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/highschool-lightsaber-duel.html taht shit was awsome man.laughing out loud

sithsaber408
Here's a new fan duel I discovered recently, but I don't know how "good" it really is.

I'll let you all judge.

(Warning: contains cursing and foul humor)
http://www.thatvideosite.com/view/2229.html

kamikz
LMAO WTF....

steverules
Sweet, but who was the dude at the end?

Tangible God
He was random Deus Ex Machina.

steverules
Ah right.

HTF
WTF. thats the first time i saw a saber dual. (i never seen star wars)

DarthMaul9123
well besides the cheesyness its good, i have a homeade movie like that, guess whose lightsaber im using if you dont no look at my name, and if you still dont no......(oh dont JUDGE MY GRAMMAR!)

sithsaber408
here's a funny one, not lightsabers but.....

http://niciest.blogspot.com/2006/04/darth-vader-vs-japanese-police.html

lordofwar
Check these out. Enjoy
http://galactic-voyage.com/images/Fan%20Movies/duality_640x272_sv3.mov

http://download.theforce.net/theater/faith/aqof.mov

http://download.theforce.net/theater/shortfilms/legacyofthejedi/legacyofthejedi.mov

Exador
What Was The Music track For Ryan Weiber VS Micheal Dorkman Scott

terd40
those are freakin sweet. i saw the china one a while back but havent seen those ones yet. i also saw one on limewire and im not sure if it is the same group or not.
damn, i had a program that made lightsaber effects but that was different computer and i forgot where the download is.

JediRobin23
those fights look ok, in a means of a couple guys swinging swords. What I mean is, wheres the killing stroke attempt. these kids just want to hit eachothers swords and keep at her.
No where near any fight in star wars. Not even between Obiwan and Vader in Ep IV.
Also, When you look closily at this ryan kid while its slow motion, its so acted while this skinney kid is only trying to do what he praticed days and days to do. That is what I call Gay.

People can do whatever they want with their free time. Just dont compare it to any star wars fights........

darthvader_fan
you guys have to see my brother's fan film when its done, 30 min long and all about Plagiues

Exador
WHAT WAS THE MUSIC TRACK!

PVS
that mentos one was pretty funny

Schecter
ryan vs dorkman sequel:

-is63goeBgc

queeq
Yeah, that's been out for quite a while.

Schecter
uploaded 2 months ago on youtube, just discovered it now. i didnt realise it all had to be 'breaking news'

queeq
It doesn't... but this one has been discussed extensively.

Schecter
where?

chinabing
Yea, this is why SW lightsaber battles don't last 10 uninterrupted minutes on screen! *Yawn* What is this, The Matrix?

Where's the leaping and the backflips?

queeq
I'm not gonna dig it up for ya. Trust me.

Schecter
Originally posted by queeq
I'm not gonna dig it up for ya. Trust me.

you lie. trust me.

queeq
Hm.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.