The Jedi serve 'Emperor' Palpatine for some time

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

IGOTMYBEAT
The Jedi believe Supreme Chancellor Palpatine, even when he declares martial law, is doing what's best for the Republic. As far as the Jedi know, the Seperatists are the bad guys. They have to stop them. And they do their best to do just that.

But I believe early in Episode III, the Jedi find out their fighting on the wrong side, and rebel against Emperor Palpatine. It is at this point, IMHO, that they are portrayed as traitors.

One last point, I believe the Jedi try to stay out of the political arena 'as much as possible.' They're job is to defend the Republic, but they don't want to get involved with who is running for Chancellor, or for Senator, or if raising taxes is good or bad, I get the impression they try to stay out of that and remain APOLITICAL.

Now in a middle of a war, which stretches all throughout the galaxy, and the Jedi are fighting for THEIR lives as well as billions of others, I don't know how concerned they would be about Supreme Chancellor Palpatine, changing his title to Emperor, I mean by this time they're already in a state of MARTIAL LAW anyways...so Palpatine could change his title to GIANT ALLIGATOR PALPATINE or THE REVEREND PALPATINE, the Jedi have bigger fish to fry at that point.

I also wanna point out that it's been done before a number of times in history, where a leader changes his title to EMPEROR.

Napolean did that, and people did NOT rebel, they welcomed it, for the most part. So I don't think it's the title of 'EMPEROR' that alarms the Jedi, as much as the Emperor's 'actions' - when the Jedi atlast realize the full scope of Palpatine's plot and discover he is a Sith lord.

queeq
Interesting stuff.

And I agree about the Emperor-thing. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the Senate will applaude his proposal to become Emperor, so he can act more swiftly than the sluggish Senate. I think the Clone Wars may prove the Senate to be too large and incompetent to deal with crises, as the Naboo crisis already demonstrated.

IGOTMYBEAT
Ya and he can point out that had the Senate acted more quickly, they could have prevented the occupation, albeit a temporary one, of Naboo.

He could make a point that in times of crisis, of war, he needs the power to make split second decisions without having to waste valuable time deliberating and debating in the Senate.

queeq
Exactly. He may even trigger the Clone Wars to secure his new position. I wouldn't even be surprised if he would play it the same way he did in TPM: making it look like everyone wants him to be in power and not that he is the ambitious one. Of course when he is in power it's too late.

Neobi Kenobi
I agree, Emperor is a title that is not that different then king and some of the planets have kings and queens like on Naboo. So a title change wouldn't really alarm anyone except maybe the jedi.

queeq
And maybe not even that. I do think the title Emperor comes along with a more autonomous authority of the usurper. Palpy would have good arguments for such a position since the Senate is too sluggish and Senators only concerned about their own well-being.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.